Start by marking “Thrift Shopping: Discovering Bargains and Hidden Treasures” as Want to Read:
Thrift Shopping: Discovering Bargains and Hidden Treasures

Thrift Shopping: Discovering Bargains and Hidden Treasures

Looking for just the right outfit for a big party? Or maybe you want to build some funky shelves for your bedroom. Instead of heading for the mall, consider checking out a thrift store. It's a great way to grab some awesome bargains. Check out Thrift Shopping to discover how to thrift and where to thrift. Learn how to judge quality, when and where to shop for bargains, and ...more
Published March 1st 2015 by Twenty-First Century Books (CT)

To ask other readers questions about Thrift Shopping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thrift Shopping

Ms. Yingling
Aug 15, 2015 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Nice overview of thrift shopping complete with a few crafts. Not anything spectacular, but there's very little else out there. Since I buy nearly all of my clothes from thrift stores (and Lands End, do have to admit that!) and I share that fact with my students since I see some of them at the stores from time to time and know that some of them feel uncomfortable with that, I think this will be a fun addition to my library.
Linda
I have been visiting various thrift shops long before it became fashionable. I always try to make a donation so others have the opportunity to reuse good items. I have also purchased someone's else's 'treasure' when I have spotted something unique. I have a special fondness weakness for buying out-of-print books. That said, I borrowed this book from our local library. It was published in 2015 and I thought maybe, just maybe, Ms. Donovan would share with me something new.

I can only recommend this
June Jacobs
Jun 15, 2015 June Jacobs rated it liked it
This book is targeted at teens. The language is light, witty, and encouraging. The author covers a wide range of topics involved in thrift shopping--including warnings about health and safety when buying used clothing and other objects. The photographs are colorful and engaging.

The DIY upcycled projects using thrift shop purchases are very well done. For instance, a long-sleeved thrift shop sweater becomes leg warmers (sleeves), headband (collar), and neck scarf (bodice). Teens are encouraged to
Meagan
Apr 16, 2015 Meagan rated it liked it
This books is an interesting read, especially for someone who has not gone thrift shopping before. It details different things to look for while thrifting and what can easily be upcycled. There were some fun options for reusing things you find in a thrift store, including accessories made from an old sweater and tablet covers out of old books. I will be purchasing for my library and think that my students will really like it.

I received a e-copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Paula
May 06, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
I received this as a free ebook copy from NetGalley.

A great read for someone just starting out thrifting or wanting to get into thrifting. Gives insightful information about where to thrift, how to thrift, and what to pass on. Information is not presented in a concise and logical order with splashes of colorful, bright, and fun photos. Even if you're not a newbie, the seasoned thrifter can still learn something and enjoy a great read.
Kira
Jan 20, 2016 Kira rated it really liked it
As a professional thrifter, this book didn't teach me anything new although it was still an enjoyable read. Perfect for someone who wants to get into thrifting. I wish there had been a section about buying and selling vintage clothes and knickknacks too.
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Elke Erickson
Elke Erickson rated it it was ok
May 09, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Barbara Rodgers
Barbara Rodgers rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2015
Morgan Brickey
Morgan Brickey rated it it was ok
May 29, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Shauna Yusko
Shauna Yusko rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Nickie
Nickie rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2016
Colton
Colton rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Gud
Gud rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2015
CCPL Youth Services
CCPL Youth Services marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Nancee Dahms-stinson
Nancee Dahms-stinson marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Dorcas
Dorcas added it
Mar 18, 2015
Nyala
Nyala marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Kristy
Kristy added it
Jul 26, 2015
Suzanne Clareson
Suzanne Clareson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Chelsea Cannon
Chelsea Cannon marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jan 15, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Jennifer Heise
Jennifer Heise marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016