Start by marking “Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album)” as Want to Read:
Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album)

Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album #2)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  925 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Sam Kinkade is finally feeling at home as a minister in rural Toms Brook, Virginia, content with his life and Shenandoah Valley congregation. But his plans to welcome the area's growing Hispanic community are being met with resistance. Fortunately, when the church-run community center is threatened, a stranger named Elisa Martinez walks through his door and Sam realizes he ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published June 30th 2005)

Gloria Bernal
May 04, 2010 Gloria Bernal rated it really liked it
One of the Shenandoah series based in Virginia, this one features a woman, Elisa Martinez who comes to the Community Church in the small town to seek employment as a sexton to the Pastor, Rev. Sam Kincaid. A private, mysterious woman of many talents, Elisa's bi-lingual abilities are a God-send to Rev. Sam in establishing an English Immersion class for the children of farm workers in the area.

Ms. Richards writes of life in a small town very much like it usually is. There are several sub-plots, no
Jessie Marie
May 04, 2009 Jessie Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully written book. Complete with vivid characters, diverse situations, and heartwarming moments. The story itself catches your attention added with the underlying irony of the leading man's habits it's near impossible to not laugh out loud.
I found myself drawn to Sam's unethical behaviors that seemed to occur though his intentions were so honorable. His character definately reminded me that no one is perfect, even really good people... say, a man of the cloth.
The mystery of E
Rita
May 27, 2010 Rita rated it really liked it
Eliza came to Toms Brook for a reason, but then she met Sam Kinkade the minister of the the local church and was hired to be the new sexton. The Quilting Bee welcomed her and she became involved with them and many other aspects of the town. We know she is hiding something, or from something and it was very interesting to find out what. I liked the way this story evolved and I'm looking forward to reading more books in this series. Its not a story about quilting, but quilting weaves its way throu ...more
Darcy
I was intrigued what the common thread was going to be in this series, turns out it is the quilts. I liked the story that was told with the first book, this book was much the same. I liked that Helen was around to berate people. While it took me a bit to warm up to her in the first book, by the end I did like her. I liked the quilting bee and how Helen was keeping them on task and how she got the pastor to hire the right person.

Elisa was interesting, more so as her story unfolded. I loved that i
Wendy T
I enjoyed this 2nd book in the Shenandoah Album series.
Patty
May 10, 2012 Patty rated it liked it
While this novel has many elements of the unrealistic romance, and more than that, a Christian romance, I have to give it kudos for supporting the cause of of our unjust involvement in Central America. Additionally, it showed the human side of undocumented workers - and why would they be presented any other way (but they are). And, as if there wasn't enough about man's inhumanity to man, she threw in a a little story about slavery and the Underground Railroad.
Ann Olson
Aug 28, 2013 Ann Olson rated it liked it
Great, interesting characters. I love the intersecting characters and plot lines. The secrets were exposed in a slow and interesting way that kept me paying attention. I can't quite pin what stopped me from loving it- maybe Sam didn't necessarily seem like a realistic pastor, and Leon's dad seemed too stereotypical and one dimensional. Overall though, interesting story, good read.
Kathryn
Dec 26, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I went straight into this book after Wedding Ring. I was pleased to meet Helen and quilters again, and to see further into Tessa's life. This story is Sam's. By the end some tears were shed, and I had been fully engrossed in this book, again the sense of community was outstanding as ER explored the issue of integrating 'outsiders' into a place. A wonderful story.
Pat
Aug 31, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
I am totally impressed with the way Emilie Richards brought several issues around and tied them up neatly! I really think before you read this one- you need to read the "Wedding Ring". That way you understand better who the characters are, and what their past has been.
I won't give away any spoilers, but I will definitely say this was a really good story.
Jillwitucki
Aug 23, 2009 Jillwitucki rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, made me cry near the end--what could be better than that!
Not only a rich story, it contains Christian messages and examples of lives well lived. I found it inspirational, but not at all "preachy". Also, much information about Guatemala and the government and oppression there. You feel great by the end, and it gives much food for thought.
Sharon Forbes
Jan 09, 2016 Sharon Forbes rated it it was amazing
I was definitely surprised by this book! I went into it thinking it was going to be a nice romance that takes place in the Virginia mountains, maybe a little conflict, but nothing major, ya know, sweet little read. Boy, was I wrong! This book is SO much more! The two main characters, Elisa Martinez and Sam Kinkade have MAJOR backgrounds, and (excuse the bad grammar here), it ain't easy! Oh, but what a wonderful story it makes! I was totally engrossed in this book, the only reason it took me as l ...more
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-lit
This book was very enjoyable. I am kind of sad it is over. The characters were rich, and the story line captivating. Keating did a beautiful job in narrating it (I am a fan of hers)and connecting me with the characters. This book took me back to my days in Virginia. I definitely would recommend this book to my friends.
Jun 15, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Once again I find myself saying the same thing about Emilie Richards writing is that I liked the book, but didn't like it. The story line was okay and the characters seemed a little too false.
Kim (Kimsrdnbks)
Jul 13, 2009 Kim (Kimsrdnbks) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the Shenandoah series. I already love hearing about the secondary characters from the first book. So glad I found a new author to binge on.
Janice
Jun 03, 2010 Janice rated it really liked it
This was a fun read but also teaches a lesson on intolerance of the Latino community in America. It is a mystery too :).
Cheryl
Feb 26, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I have to admit I have had this book in my TBR since it came out,and just never seemed to pull it out until the other day after I read some of Emilie's blogs here. Well,I can happily say I have found a new author I really plan to follow now! I have 9 of her books already and have ordered 4 more,so Emilie you will have an entire bookshelf row devoted just to your books.

Elisa Martinez fascinated me from, the start since she was so quiet and secretive,so I was anxious to find out what was in her l
Sharon A.
Jun 07, 2016 Sharon A. rated it it was ok
Unlike some other Emilie Richards' books this one didn't really grab me until about 3/4 of the way through. I would start it, put it down. Pick it back up, put it down. It took me two or three library check-outs to finally get interested enough to see it through. The story had a lot of potential, so I'm not sure why it took so long for Sam and Elisa to capture my attention.
Sam
Nov 11, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book about sharing cultural differences and encouraging understanding.

this book held my attention because of telling stories of struggles in adjusting to a new diverse community, building trust and love and the value of following dreams. also blends in quilting terms which I enjoyed.
Barbara Frank
Jan 19, 2016 Barbara Frank rated it it was amazing
Another great book by this author. Focused on a minister in Virginia's Shenandoah valley and his struggle to lead his church the way his God wants him to-not the way he is being pressured to lead it. An inspiring book.
Mim
Jul 28, 2014 Mim rated it it was amazing
The author has a great way of developing characters and presenting many twists and turns to the plot. This is one of three in a quilting series. Definitely suggest to add it to your list.
Carolyn Browne
Jan 23, 2016 Carolyn Browne rated it really liked it
Captures life n the Shenandoah Valley and relates its dark history as well. For those looking for a "comfort book" ...this is it.
Denise
Jun 02, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
It was a fairly good read. I was getting a little impatient for the heroine's story to unfold. A few things didn't sit right with me in this book. 1. He didn't think he HAD to report child abuse... he thought it was up to his own discretion. 2. He waited until he fell in love with someone else before he broke off his engagement, and yet he was supposed to have very strong morals. 3. the whole climax thing at the end I found confusing and not well thought out. I am not sure why he got more jail t ...more
Doris
Jun 01, 2013 Doris rated it really liked it
These characters are complex and evolve and I found myself getting more and more engrossed in the story, though I started it reluctantly for a book club, honestly presuming I would not enjoy it, based on the cover and some of the recent choices. It is refreshing to find socially conscious characters who have concerns beyond their own narrow personal lives and who are flawed as real human beings are. I did not like the character Diego and felt he was given too much credit by the lead character an ...more
Joan
Jan 23, 2014 Joan rated it liked it
Not my favourite book in this series. The first part dragged on as Elisa's story was kept a secret (I had some idea about it as I had read later books first) and then the resolution of her problems was rushed through at the end almost like an after thought.
Cindy
Nice little book. Could probably have been about 25-30 pages shorter honestly.
Chris
Aug 16, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
#2 in the Shenandoah series. Loved the story
Jeanne
Mar 03, 2015 Jeanne rated it liked it
good story.second in the series
FSU Alumni
Sep 26, 2014 FSU Alumni added it
Shelves: fsu-alumni
Emilie Richards (B.A. '70)
Mimi
Jun 04, 2015 Mimi rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Good story about a country preacher and the woman who comes to town. Contemporary story and issues.
Laurie
I enjoy her books
The basis of the book. 2 9 Sep 25, 2012 08:41PM
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • The Double Cross (Someday Quilts Mystery, #3)
  • Seven Sisters (Benni Harper, #7)
  • Ties That Bind (Cobbled Quilt #5)
  • The Gardens of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #2)
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, including romance, women's fiction and mystery. When We Were Sisters debuts in June 2016, a stand alone novel about two foster sisters traveling back into their past together. I loved writing it and love the cover my publisher chose.

I'm also excited about my recent series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed by Som
More about Emilie Richards...

Shenandoah Album (5 books)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)
  • Lover's Knot
  • Touching Stars
  • Sister's Choice

“Prejudice in this country is like chapters in a book. Chapter One: Hating the Africans and Indians. Chapter Two: Don't forget the Irish. Chapter Three: Polish jokes."..... "Hispanics? Latinos? Whatever you call us? Maybe we're Chapter Fifteen or Sixteen on the East Coast, but we're the preface in the West.” 4 likes