Start by marking “Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album)” as Want to Read:
Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album)

Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  754 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Sam Kinkade is finally feeling at home as a minister in rural Toms Brook, Virginia, content with his life and Shenandoah Valley congregation. But his plans to welcome the area's growing Hispanic community are being met with resistance. Fortunately, when the church-run community center is threatened, a stranger named Elisa Martinez walks through his door and Sam realizes he ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published June 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Endless Chain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Endless Chain

Gloria Bernal
One of the Shenandoah series based in Virginia, this one features a woman, Elisa Martinez who comes to the Community Church in the small town to seek employment as a sexton to the Pastor, Rev. Sam Kincaid. A private, mysterious woman of many talents, Elisa's bi-lingual abilities are a God-send to Rev. Sam in establishing an English Immersion class for the children of farm workers in the area.

Ms. Richards writes of life in a small town very much like it usually is. There are several sub-plots, no
Jessie Marie
This is a wonderfully written book. Complete with vivid characters, diverse situations, and heartwarming moments. The story itself catches your attention added with the underlying irony of the leading man's habits it's near impossible to not laugh out loud.
I found myself drawn to Sam's unethical behaviors that seemed to occur though his intentions were so honorable. His character definately reminded me that no one is perfect, even really good people... say, a man of the cloth.
The mystery of E
Rita
Eliza came to Toms Brook for a reason, but then she met Sam Kinkade the minister of the the local church and was hired to be the new sexton. The Quilting Bee welcomed her and she became involved with them and many other aspects of the town. We know she is hiding something, or from something and it was very interesting to find out what. I liked the way this story evolved and I'm looking forward to reading more books in this series. Its not a story about quilting, but quilting weaves its way throu ...more
Darcy
I was intrigued what the common thread was going to be in this series, turns out it is the quilts. I liked the story that was told with the first book, this book was much the same. I liked that Helen was around to berate people. While it took me a bit to warm up to her in the first book, by the end I did like her. I liked the quilting bee and how Helen was keeping them on task and how she got the pastor to hire the right person.

Elisa was interesting, more so as her story unfolded. I loved that i
Wendy T
I enjoyed this 2nd book in the Shenandoah Album series.
Patty
While this novel has many elements of the unrealistic romance, and more than that, a Christian romance, I have to give it kudos for supporting the cause of of our unjust involvement in Central America. Additionally, it showed the human side of undocumented workers - and why would they be presented any other way (but they are). And, as if there wasn't enough about man's inhumanity to man, she threw in a a little story about slavery and the Underground Railroad.
Ann Olson
Great, interesting characters. I love the intersecting characters and plot lines. The secrets were exposed in a slow and interesting way that kept me paying attention. I can't quite pin what stopped me from loving it- maybe Sam didn't necessarily seem like a realistic pastor, and Leon's dad seemed too stereotypical and one dimensional. Overall though, interesting story, good read.
Kathryn
I went straight into this book after Wedding Ring. I was pleased to meet Helen and quilters again, and to see further into Tessa's life. This story is Sam's. By the end some tears were shed, and I had been fully engrossed in this book, again the sense of community was outstanding as ER explored the issue of integrating 'outsiders' into a place. A wonderful story.
Pat
I am totally impressed with the way Emilie Richards brought several issues around and tied them up neatly! I really think before you read this one- you need to read the "Wedding Ring". That way you understand better who the characters are, and what their past has been.
I won't give away any spoilers, but I will definitely say this was a really good story.
Jillwitucki
Wonderful, made me cry near the end--what could be better than that!
Not only a rich story, it contains Christian messages and examples of lives well lived. I found it inspirational, but not at all "preachy". Also, much information about Guatemala and the government and oppression there. You feel great by the end, and it gives much food for thought.
Stephanie
This book was very enjoyable. I am kind of sad it is over. The characters were rich, and the story line captivating. Keating did a beautiful job in narrating it (I am a fan of hers)and connecting me with the characters. This book took me back to my days in Virginia. I definitely would recommend this book to my friends.
Once again I find myself saying the same thing about Emilie Richards writing is that I liked the book, but didn't like it. The story line was okay and the characters seemed a little too false.
Kim (Kimsrdnbks)
This is the second in the Shenandoah series. I already love hearing about the secondary characters from the first book. So glad I found a new author to binge on.
Janice
This was a fun read but also teaches a lesson on intolerance of the Latino community in America. It is a mystery too :).
Cheryl
I have to admit I have had this book in my TBR since it came out,and just never seemed to pull it out until the other day after I read some of Emilie's blogs here. Well,I can happily say I have found a new author I really plan to follow now! I have 9 of her books already and have ordered 4 more,so Emilie you will have an entire bookshelf row devoted just to your books.

Elisa Martinez fascinated me from, the start since she was so quiet and secretive,so I was anxious to find out what was in her l
Sam
Wonderful book about sharing cultural differences and encouraging understanding.

this book held my attention because of telling stories of struggles in adjusting to a new diverse community, building trust and love and the value of following dreams. also blends in quilting terms which I enjoyed.
Mim
The author has a great way of developing characters and presenting many twists and turns to the plot. This is one of three in a quilting series. Definitely suggest to add it to your list.
Denise
It was a fairly good read. I was getting a little impatient for the heroine's story to unfold. A few things didn't sit right with me in this book. 1. He didn't think he HAD to report child abuse... he thought it was up to his own discretion. 2. He waited until he fell in love with someone else before he broke off his engagement, and yet he was supposed to have very strong morals. 3. the whole climax thing at the end I found confusing and not well thought out. I am not sure why he got more jail t ...more
Doris
These characters are complex and evolve and I found myself getting more and more engrossed in the story, though I started it reluctantly for a book club, honestly presuming I would not enjoy it, based on the cover and some of the recent choices. It is refreshing to find socially conscious characters who have concerns beyond their own narrow personal lives and who are flawed as real human beings are. I did not like the character Diego and felt he was given too much credit by the lead character an ...more
Joan
Not my favourite book in this series. The first part dragged on as Elisa's story was kept a secret (I had some idea about it as I had read later books first) and then the resolution of her problems was rushed through at the end almost like an after thought.
Chris
#2 in the Shenandoah series. Loved the story
FSU Alumni
Sep 26, 2014 FSU Alumni added it
Shelves: fsu-alumni
Emilie Richards (B.A. '70)
Debby
This is the second of five books in Emilie Richards' Shenandoah Slbum series. I've read 3 of the 5 books and really enjoyed each one. Emilie Richards has a gift for great story telling and character development. Though this series is set in a rural Virginia town, each book takes a look at complex relationships and social issues that are common to all walks of life. The title of each book is based on a quilt pattern.

Check out all of her books at http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/e...
Michelle
I liked this second book in the Shenandoah Album series. Elisa was an intriguing character and the story played out with some interesting twists and turns. While the romantic part of the story had a predictable outcome, many of the other parts of the story were interesting to puzzle out and surprised me occasionally. Well written, with a good emotional connection to the place, characters and of course, the quilts. I look forward to the 3rd book.
Gemma
It really irritated me that the main character was teaching a woman to use the rhythm method to space babies. Modern-day Catholics do not use the rhythm method, they use NFP. I was ticked that the author perpetuated the myth that they are the same thing. It's like saying the ground beef and filet mignon are the same thing.

The story was a bit long for me, but I did finish it. I've enjoyed other books in this series more than this one.
Barb
This book is the second in the Shanendoah Series. I enjoyed it. I have enjoyed a few other Emilie Richards books, and the quilting connection in this series was the inital draw for me. This particular book is mostly a romance with a few sub plots. Romance stories are not necessarily my favorites, but I read it anyway, as I particularly enjoyed the first book in this series, and I intend to read the others eventually.
Janis
Giving this 2.5 stars only because of the religious aspect of the story which is not my cup of tea, otherwise, I thought the story was well written. I also thought the story about Dorie should have been played on more, the ending on that storyline was lacking and disappointing. I will continue to read the series, as I enjoy reading this author.
Mary-Frances
I really enjoyed this - it took me a while to figure out it was the second in a series to "Wedding Ring" which I'd read quite some time ago. Now I'm eager to read the 3rd. I think the author's combination of quilting, character development (which is great) and her tackling social and psychological issues make these books a really interesting read.
Kitty Tomlinson
Sam Kinkade, a minister in rural Toms Brook, Va., antagonizes some of his congregation while trying to serve his ever-increasing Hispanic population. He also becomes involved with Elissa Martinez who has problems and secrets of her own.
Terry
Not my favorite in the series, but still worth reading. I felt that keeping the identity of the principal character a secret during the first half of the book was contrived. All-in-all, though, I'm glad I slogged through it.
The basis of the book. 2 9 Sep 25, 2012 08:41PM
  • Circle of Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #9)
  • Seven Sisters (Benni Harper, #7)
  • The Double Cross (Someday Quilts Mystery, #3)
  • The Gardens of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #2)
  • Threading the Needle (Cobbled Quilt #4)
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, both women's fiction and mystery. I'm excited about my newest series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed last year by Somewhere Between Luck and Trust. The third book in the series, A River Too Wide, came out in July. The Color of Light debuts in August 2015.

Last year my husband and I moved from Arlington, Virginia
More about Emilie Richards...
Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album) Happiness Key (Happiness Key Series, #1) Lover's Knot Sister's Choice Iron Lace

“Prejudice in this country is like chapters in a book. Chapter One: Hating the Africans and Indians. Chapter Two: Don't forget the Irish. Chapter Three: Polish jokes."..... "Hispanics? Latinos? Whatever you call us? Maybe we're Chapter Fifteen or Sixteen on the East Coast, but we're the preface in the West.” 4 likes