Start by marking “Whiskey Island” as Want to Read:
Whiskey Island

Whiskey Island (Whiskey Islands #1)

The USA Today bestselling author is back with these newly repackaged favorites--an unforgettable two-book story of three sisters whose lives have been shaped by a 100-year-old secret and a hidden legacy that will lead them home at last to Ireland. Reissue.
Published May 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiskey Island

Kathy
May 31, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Quite a good book actually. I will admit it took me about 80 pages to get into - but once you get all the characters sorted and know who is who - it just gets better and better. It is actually two stories in one - current day and the other about 100 years in the past. I loved both stories, but probably enjoyed the story 100 years previous better - maybe only because i do love that sort of story. I do recommend - will probably take more than a weekend read, as it's close to 500 pages, but it has ...more
Kristin
Jul 25, 2011 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Jane Eyre is my all time favorite classic book. Whiskey Island is my all time favorite non-classic book. :)
I generally do not like to re-read books. Once I know the story, I can't find the patience to read through it all again. This story, for some reason, is an exception. I think I've read it three times & each time I fell in love with it. The characters are so well thought out and the story lines so fantastically woven together. It is perfection in my mind.
Patty
Women's fiction is not romance. There are "formulas" for both types of books, but they should not be lumped together. Romances ultimately are about love and marriage. Women's fiction usually include romance, but the growth of the women characters is very important.

Emilie Richards has written a wonderful novel. There is definitely some happily ever aspects to the story, however there is much more. There is the history of parts of Cleveland, there is lots of information about Irish American and th
Doris
Apr 14, 2013 Doris rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Still thinking about it after. Two books in this series. Whiskey Island is the first one and The Parting Glass is the second one. Really need to be read in order. Pretty quick light read, a tad long, but left you wanting to know more about the characters. Background of one immigrants current and past relatives and their struggles. You'll love most of the characters.
SIMON Karine
Ce livre a été publié aux Editions Mira qui fait parti du groupe Harlequin, ça m'a fait un peu peur au début, je dois l'avouer. Mais j'ai vraiment accroché à la plume l'Emilie Richards, qui nous livre ici un roman comme je les aime. En effet, il se déroule à deux époques différentes, la première à notre époque, puis nous basculons ensuite à la fin du 19ème siècle, nous découvrons alors l'histoire des ancètres de la Famille Donaghue, une histoire lourde est chargée de secrets.
Ellen Thielen
Feb 19, 2013 Ellen Thielen rated it it was amazing
The best Emilie Richards that I have read! The Irish Donague family is followed both in the 1800s through a priests journal, and also in current day. The characters are amazing hardworking people, but not without failings. The depictions of 1800s Irish immigrants was believable as it was heart-wrenching. The present day Donague family are also interesting to follow. One of those books that you don't want to end...
Marnie
While this book was quite slow at times, I did end up liking this novel of one family holding together in present time and learning of their strong heritage from past.
Mary
Jun 28, 2017 Mary rated it really liked it
As a former Clevelander, I enjoyed reading about modern day and 19th Century Cleveland. I still need to research the real Whiskey Island and find out what was real and what was fiction. I preferred the parts of the novel that took place in the 19th Century and wished those parts were longer rather than the focus being on the modern day. I also liked how it showed the Catholic priesthood in a good light. Certainly, the priesthood deserves the criticism it receives based on decades of covering up ...more
Karrie
Jan 14, 2017 Karrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: sfrc-winter, 2017
This was a good story. It had a lot going on and moved along well. I would read more of her books.
Maggie
Mar 11, 2017 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel. Three young women try to raise themselves after their mother dies and their father walks out on them. Each has their own struggles in life but the three of them come together once again after a failed car jacking in the family saloon. Lots of excitement in this fast moving book including a centuries old murder. Loved this book, would totally recommend it.
Amy
Jul 12, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
While I was in Vietnam, I came across Emilie Richards’ The Parting Glass at a second-hand bookstore. I was so caught up in the story that it became my go-to-book when I needed something to read for a few minutes, during a lone meal or to relax before going to bed. It reminded me of a favorite television movie where you could pick up the story from any location and remember where you left off.

Living abroad, in Thailand and now Budapest I have limited access to English books and couldn’t find the
Kieraanne
Hmmm...this book was really, really long. I wasn't that impressed with the romantic angles and the the big "family secret" didn't even get hinted at until about midway through the book.

I especially didn't like what happened with Niccolo and Megan. Normally I don't really have a problem with couples having "relations" outside of marriage since I understand that most of the world accepts this and the people in the story generally don't think they're doing anything wrong. That said, Niccolo being
Suzanne
Oct 28, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Emily Richards writing style. Her characters are "real" and the description of venues and landscaping can be visualized in my mind. In my opinion, this is a thick book with small writing! Ha ha I was hoping it was worth my time and effort…

I enjoyed the main characters of Lena, Terrence, Megan, Niccolo, and Patrick. A small town that included the poor section of Irish and blocks of millionaire homes and the people who look down their nose at the Irish who have Community, family, lo
Nancy H
Dec 09, 2016 Nancy H rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic story! The book tells the story of three sisters who have inherited a saloon called Whiskey Island in Ohio City, a suburb of Cleveland, near Lake Erie and the dilapidated, ruined, 'homeless camp' of the Whiskey Island area itself. The sisters all have deep secrets, and their story is interspersed with a century-old story of a loving couple, the tragedy that befell them, their link to the present-day Donaghue family, and quite possibly the reason the girls' mentally -ill father h ...more
Renee
Apr 04, 2009 Renee rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I've raved about Emilie Richards' mysteries in the past; this was my first time reading one of her romance novels. Wow. Just, wow. It's marketed as a Romance but I'm not entirely sure why -- it could easily hold its own as a mainstream novel. (Actually, I probably do know why -- her publisher knows Richards has a Romance following, so why risk it.) Richards seamlessly interweaves two sets of stories -- those of the main characters in modern-day Cleveland and of Irish immigrants to Cleveland in t ...more
Chris Antenen
Aug 11, 2008 Chris Antenen rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, history
After beginning War and Peace and getting totally confused by the characters -- AGAIN, although this time I'm determined to finish it -- it was pleasant to know all the characters of Whiskey Island within the first fifty pages and although the author skipped from century to century, I was able to keep track of it all. The rest, however, was disappointing, because the author did not do justice to an excellent plot and story line. I would recommend the book, because it was a page turner, although ...more
Liz Balaam
May 30, 2013 Liz Balaam rated it really liked it
One of my favourite authors, Diane Chamberlain, once commented that Emilie Richards wrote the same kind of books as hers, which prompted me to give one a try. I liked this book very much. It is the story of three sisters, descended from Irish immigrants. The sisters have a good relationship, although have gone through some troubles - each one with her own personal demons to face, and resolve, in the story. I also liked the 100 year old mystery which was a secondary story to the main story. I wil ...more
Lee Ann
This novel is set in Cleveland, Ohio and links the history of the 1880's to the family's present in the year 2000. It offers moving insight into the struggles and perspective of the Irish immigrants that settled the area in the mid 1800s. It is about roots, family and the fine line between strength and vulnerability. Being from a Midwest Irish family, I came away from the book appreciating the sacrifices made for future generations.
Barb
May 31, 2013 Barb rated it it was ok
I this is, I believe, the eighth book I've ready by Emilie Richards. The books I have read in the past I have enjoyed very much. Actually, I have read two separate series by her, and was hungry for more. This is the first stand-alone book I've read, and frankly, I was disappointed. To me, it read like a cheap dimestore romance novel. I read a couple of those in my younger years, and they just aren't my cup of tea.
The Reading Cove Book Club ❦
137th: WHISKEY ISLAND by Emilie Richards
Chosen By: Millenia
Trivia Winner - Nancy

~COVE OPINION: B, Enjoyable story!

We discuss WHISKEY ISLAND in the 16th episode of our Cove podcast - listen in!
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is the story of a family of 3 sisters and their family pub in Ohio which has been owned by them for generations. The story mixes the past and the present and involves a mysterious good Samaritan and a family mystery. It is a well done tale and the characterizations were excellent. There is a sequel which I look forward to reading.
Tiffany
Nov 09, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I love Emilie Richards. I chose this book because of my love for her other 2-book series, Iron Lace/Rising Tides. You get to know a bit about Irish-American immigrants and one family's history involving a bar, murder, and strained relationships. This novel's sequel, The Parting Glass, is good as well, but not as strong as this one.
Chris
Mar 20, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a really great book. It kept my interest the entire way. Being from the Cleveland area I thought it was great how the author incorporated so much of Cleveland history past and present when writing this story. I never knew Whiskey Island had been an Irish shanty town so l learned something new while reading a really great interesting story. I really enjoyed the story.
Marcia
Apr 17, 2014 Marcia rated it really liked it
Very interesting. At first I didn't know if I would like the story, but I soon got caught up in the relationships and the historical flashbacks. Two stories unfolding at the same time. I got caught up in the characters from the past and those in the present. There was mystery and romance which I look for in a book. I'm looking forward to the next book by Emilie Richards.
Susan
Jun 22, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
I got this book after reading that Emilie Richards is a favorite of Diane Chamberlain. What fun to read one of my favorite authors' choice.

I enjoyed the book greatly and quickly ordered the sequel although I haven't started it yet.

It made me really curious about Cleveland, Ohio a place I have never visited. Good story, intelligent writing yet easy going.
Mary couch
Jun 14, 2011 Mary couch rated it really liked it
Loved this book. It is two stories in one with once story current, and the other in the past. I loved both stories which is sometimes not the case. If you enjoy generational fiction with a little mystery and romance thrown in I highly recommend.
Kristin
Feb 11, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-sagas
This was a book that I had read years ago. I didn't remember any of it. It took me a couple days to read it, but I really liked it. I felt for the characters in the past and present. Well worth the 600 pages.
Diane
Apr 23, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. It was one of those that moved from past to present. There were a few spots where I felt we needed to move out of the past, but it all made sense at the end. It is a story about love, family, secrets and life. Highly recommend it!
Kelly
Nov 22, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A delightful read about family, loyalty, and love. Loved all of the references to my home town.
Vikki
May 06, 2010 Vikki rated it it was amazing
Such a good book! A girl and her two sisters own a pub. Their father has a mental illness. It switches back and forth between old times and present. Great book!
Goodreads Librari...: Adding number of pages to book + adding ISBN 3 10 Nov 02, 2016 05:41AM
  • At Home in Covington (Ladies of Covington, #5)
  • The Grass Castle
  • Hidden Inheritance: Family Secrets, Memory, and Faith
  • Salt River (Turner, #3)
  • The Travelling Hornplayer
  • Nate (Rock Creek Six, #5)
  • The Edge of Impropriety (Signet Eclipse)
  • How Did You End Up Here?: The Surprising Ways Our Questions Connect Us
  • Palace of Tears
  • The Safety of Secrets
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Miracle (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #4)
  • The Beach House (The Beach House #1)
  • Lost Highways (Valentine, #1)
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Set: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency/Tears of the Giraffe/Morality for Beautiful Girls/The Kalahari Typing School For Men/The Full Cupboard of Life
  • Angel Lane
  • Rosina, the Midwife
  • A Bitter Veil
  • Autumn Laing
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, including romance, women's fiction and mystery. When We Were Sisters debuted in June 2016, a stand alone novel about two foster sisters traveling back into their past together. I loved writing it and love the cover my publisher chose.

I'm also excited about my recent series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed by So
More about Emilie Richards...

Whiskey Islands (2 books)
  • The Parting Glass