Whiskey Island

Whiskey Island (Whiskey Islands #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Once a struggling community of Irish immigrants, Lake Erie's Whiskey Island has a past as colorful as the patrons who frequent the Whiskey Island Saloon. A local gathering place for generations, the saloon is now run by the Donaghue sisters, whose lives and hearts have been shaped by family tragedy and a haunting mystery. When an act of violence sets the wheels of fate in...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published June 1st 2000)

The Best-Kept Secret by Les RobertsCollision Bend by Les RobertsThe Lake Effect by Les RobertsWhat Happens Next by Colleen ClaytonThe Cleveland Connection by Les Roberts
Fiction Set in Cleveland
13th out of 101 books — 11 voters
Table 21 by T. Rafael CiminoEvertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Books That Make Your Taste Buds Water!
57th out of 69 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy
Quite a good book actually. I will admit it took me about 80 pages to get into - but once you get all the characters sorted and know who is who - it just gets better and better. It is actually two stories in one - current day and the other about 100 years in the past. I loved both stories, but probably enjoyed the story 100 years previous better - maybe only because i do love that sort of story. I do recommend - will probably take more than a weekend read, as it's close to 500 pages, but it has...more
Patty
Women's fiction is not romance. There are "formulas" for both types of books, but they should not be lumped together. Romances ultimately are about love and marriage. Women's fiction usually include romance, but the growth of the women characters is very important.

Emilie Richards has written a wonderful novel. There is definitely some happily ever aspects to the story, however there is much more. There is the history of parts of Cleveland, there is lots of information about Irish American and th...more
Kristin
Jane Eyre is my all time favorite classic book. Whiskey Island is my all time favorite non-classic book. :)
I generally do not like to re-read books. Once I know the story, I can't find the patience to read through it all again. This story, for some reason, is an exception. I think I've read it three times & each time I fell in love with it. The characters are so well thought out and the story lines so fantastically woven together. It is perfection in my mind.
Doris Ernst
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Still thinking about it after. Two books in this series. Whiskey Island is the first one and The Parting Glass is the second one. Really need to be read in order. Pretty quick light read, a tad long, but left you wanting to know more about the characters. Background of one immigrants current and past relatives and their struggles. You'll love most of the characters.
Amy
While I was in Vietnam, I came across Emilie Richards’ The Parting Glass at a second-hand bookstore. I was so caught up in the story that it became my go-to-book when I needed something to read for a few minutes, during a lone meal or to relax before going to bed. It reminded me of a favorite television movie where you could pick up the story from any location and remember where you left off.

Living abroad, in Thailand and now Budapest I have limited access to English books and couldn’t find the...more
SIMON Karine
Ce livre a été publié aux Editions Mira qui fait parti du groupe Harlequin, ça m'a fait un peu peur au début, je dois l'avouer. Mais j'ai vraiment accroché à la plume l'Emilie Richards, qui nous livre ici un roman comme je les aime. En effet, il se déroule à deux époques différentes, la première à notre époque, puis nous basculons ensuite à la fin du 19ème siècle, nous découvrons alors l'histoire des ancètres de la Famille Donaghue, une histoire lourde est chargée de secrets.
Ellen Thielen
The best Emilie Richards that I have read! The Irish Donague family is followed both in the 1800s through a priests journal, and also in current day. The characters are amazing hardworking people, but not without failings. The depictions of 1800s Irish immigrants was believable as it was heart-wrenching. The present day Donague family are also interesting to follow. One of those books that you don't want to end...
Marnie
While this book was quite slow at times, I did end up liking this novel of one family holding together in present time and learning of their strong heritage from past.
Kieraanne
Hmmm...this book was really, really long. I wasn't that impressed with the romantic angles and the the big "family secret" didn't even get hinted at until about midway through the book.

I especially didn't like what happened with Niccolo and Megan. Normally I don't really have a problem with couples having "relations" outside of marriage since I understand that most of the world accepts this and the people in the story generally don't think they're doing anything wrong. That said, Niccolo being...more
Marcia
Very interesting. At first I didn't know if I would like the story, but I soon got caught up in the relationships and the historical flashbacks. Two stories unfolding at the same time. I got caught up in the characters from the past and those in the present. There was mystery and romance which I look for in a book. I'm looking forward to the next book by Emilie Richards.
Renee
I've raved about Emilie Richards' mysteries in the past; this was my first time reading one of her romance novels. Wow. Just, wow. It's marketed as a Romance but I'm not entirely sure why -- it could easily hold its own as a mainstream novel. (Actually, I probably do know why -- her publisher knows Richards has a Romance following, so why risk it.) Richards seamlessly interweaves two sets of stories -- those of the main characters in modern-day Cleveland and of Irish immigrants to Cleveland in t...more
Chris Antenen
After beginning War and Peace and getting totally confused by the characters -- AGAIN, although this time I'm determined to finish it -- it was pleasant to know all the characters of Whiskey Island within the first fifty pages and although the author skipped from century to century, I was able to keep track of it all. The rest, however, was disappointing, because the author did not do justice to an excellent plot and story line. I would recommend the book, because it was a page turner, although...more
Ann Dover
I am have just finished reading this book and am now reading the Sequel "The Parting Glass".
Liz Balaam
One of my favourite authors, Diane Chamberlain, once commented that Emilie Richards wrote the same kind of books as hers, which prompted me to give one a try. I liked this book very much. It is the story of three sisters, descended from Irish immigrants. The sisters have a good relationship, although have gone through some troubles - each one with her own personal demons to face, and resolve, in the story. I also liked the 100 year old mystery which was a secondary story to the main story. I wil...more
Lee Ann
This novel is set in Cleveland, Ohio and links the history of the 1880's to the family's present in the year 2000. It offers moving insight into the struggles and perspective of the Irish immigrants that settled the area in the mid 1800s. It is about roots, family and the fine line between strength and vulnerability. Being from a Midwest Irish family, I came away from the book appreciating the sacrifices made for future generations.
Barb
I this is, I believe, the eighth book I've ready by Emilie Richards. The books I have read in the past I have enjoyed very much. Actually, I have read two separate series by her, and was hungry for more. This is the first stand-alone book I've read, and frankly, I was disappointed. To me, it read like a cheap dimestore romance novel. I read a couple of those in my younger years, and they just aren't my cup of tea.
Susan
I got this book after reading that Emilie Richards is a favorite of Diane Chamberlain. What fun to read one of my favorite authors' choice.

I enjoyed the book greatly and quickly ordered the sequel although I haven't started it yet.

It made me really curious about Cleveland, Ohio a place I have never visited. Good story, intelligent writing yet easy going.
Michelle
This is the story of a family of 3 sisters and their family pub in Ohio which has been owned by them for generations. The story mixes the past and the present and involves a mysterious good Samaritan and a family mystery. It is a well done tale and the characterizations were excellent. There is a sequel which I look forward to reading.
The Reading Cove Book Club ❧
137th: WHISKEY ISLAND by Emilie Richards
Chosen By: Millenia
Trivia Winner - Nancy

~COVE OPINION: B, Enjoyable story!

We discuss WHISKEY ISLAND in the 16th episode of our Cove podcast - listen in!
Diane
I really enjoyed this story. It was one of those that moved from past to present. There were a few spots where I felt we needed to move out of the past, but it all made sense at the end. It is a story about love, family, secrets and life. Highly recommend it!
Mary couch
Loved this book. It is two stories in one with once story current, and the other in the past. I loved both stories which is sometimes not the case. If you enjoy generational fiction with a little mystery and romance thrown in I highly recommend.
Kristin
This was a book that I had read years ago. I didn't remember any of it. It took me a couple days to read it, but I really liked it. I felt for the characters in the past and present. Well worth the 600 pages.
Sally906
I don't know why it took me so long to read this book. It wasn't a bad story and would be happy to read the sequel it just didn't grab me as much as the other Emlie Richard books I have read.
Heather
This was a short, interesting story. I really like Emilie Richard's style of writing and also how she incorporates history in her stories. I don't know if it's all true but makes for a good read.
Beckie
Hands down one of the best books I have ever read. With Irish heritage of my own, I found this book fascinating as well as riveting with the mysteries of this family. Highly recommend!
Chantal
I loved this book!! I read the paperback version, but though I've now let go of it, I'm going to buy a digital version so I can re-read it again and again. What a wonderful story!
Lana Voynich
I loved this book and was sad to reach the end of it. I still find myself wondering what the characters are going to do next; then I remember I finished the book.
Vikki
Such a good book! A girl and her two sisters own a pub. Their father has a mental illness. It switches back and forth between old times and present. Great book!
Courtney
I actually haven't had a chance to finish this book because I gave it to Tim to read. He's about halfway done - I'm not sure if I'll pick it up to ever finish it...
Lberk3 Berk
This was my first intro to this author. She is very good, blending in history and socio-economic conditions into the story line. Heartrenching!
  • Dark of the Moon
  • The Lavender Keeper
  • Crazy in Love
  • The Garden of Happy Endings
  • Countess of Scandal (The Daughters of Erin, #1)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Fall from Pride (Home Valley, #1)
  • The Edge of Town (Jazz Age, #1)
  • The Travelling Hornplayer
  • Houses of Stone
  • Angel Lane
  • The Nature of Water and Air
  • Keepsake
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Miracle (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #4)
  • Beyond the Cliffs of Kerry
  • Christ: A Crisis in the Life of God
  • The Shot
  • Autumn Laing
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, both women's fiction and mystery. I'm excited about my newest series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed last year by Somewhere Between Luck and Trust. The third book in the series, A River Too Wide, will be published soon.

Last year my husband and I moved from Arlington, Virginia, to Osprey, Florida, the state wher...more
More about Emilie Richards...
Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album) Happiness Key (Happiness Key Series, #1) Lover's Knot Sister's Choice Iron Lace