Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry Is Murder Mystery,#1)

Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry is Murder #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Meet the unconventional Aggie Sloan-Wilcox, a minister's wife with her own calling: helping troubled souls in need of justice. When the naked body of a murdered woman turns up on Aggie's front porch--and suspicion falls on Aggie's husband--she doesn't have a prayer of clearing his name unless she can uncover the truth in a town not known for confessing its sins.
Published December 6th 2005 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Is The Busybody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed Is The Busybody

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukePleating for Mercy by Melissa BourbonA is for Alibi by Sue GraftonHer Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
First books of some good cozy series
90th out of 307 books — 364 voters
Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorSand Dollar Island by Rob SmithThe Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery AamesPepper Pike by Les RobertsMcGowan's Pass by Rob Smith
Books Set in Ohio
24th out of 46 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Book Concierge
Ed Wilcox and his wife Aggie Sloan-Wilcox have been in Emerald Springs for a little over a year. The congregation at their church seems to have taken to the new minister and his family, but now Gelsey Falowell, the matriarch who is a major benefactor and also runs the Women’s Society, seems bent on getting the minister fired. Aggie is doing her best to smooth any ruffled feathers but things take a turn for the worse when the naked body of a murdered woman is found on the parsonage’s front porch....more
Suad Shamma
It has been ages since I've read a mystery novel - and a good one at that. I was thrilled to have purchased Emilie Richards' Ministry is Murder series as she has yet to disappoint.

Blessed is the Busybody is the first book in the series, and I admit it started out a bit slow for my liking. That only seems fair now, as Richards needed to present us with the whole picture, giving us a thorough background on Aggie Sloan-Wilcox and her minister husband Ed, as well as her children, her mother in law,...more
Brenda
This was an enjoyable cozy mystery. I did like the references to "how churches run." I had not figured out who the murders were until they were revealed. I really enjoyed that the mystery was solved by a lay person and not the cute police officer. The story was believable and well-crafted.
Connie N.
I very much liked the main character in this cozy mystery. Aggie is a warm and friendly woman, wife of a minister, who seems genuine and is a good person. She is a stay-at-home mom who raises her daughters in a no-nonsense but warm and humorous way. She and minister-husband Ed have a nice normal relationship, and I appreciate their closeness and how well they are suited to each other. I got such a nice feeling about their home and their values. Of course, Aggie also got involved in a murder myst...more
Cheryl
I think I have read at least one other book by this author, probably one of her romances, and I like her light touch.

The characters are interesting and she clearly knows the life of a minister's wife very well. I find Aggie to be a good wife and mother -- she accepts that her youngest daughter's penchant for holding funerals for the (live) cat probably mean she will be a minister and that her older daughter's early onset teen angst is going to make life interesting. She is made weak-kneed by th...more
Mark Baker
Aggie tries to do her job of supporting her preacher husband and raise their daughters in the best way she can. Avoiding scandal is her number one priority. So why then, is there a naked dead woman on her front doorstep? The characters lept off the page at me as if I'd known them for a long time even though this is a series debut. The plot was fan moving and fun as well. My only issue? I don't agree with the character's theology, but I didn't expect to, and I devoured the entire series.

Read my f...more
Tiona
Found this at Halfprice books and liked the title. Well written and charming story. I love mysteries so it was fun to find a new author to read. Looking forward to more.
Drebbles
Jul 21, 2010 Drebbles added it
Shelves: 2007
After working in a church in Boston and another in Washington, D.C., minister Ed Wilcox and his family have transferred to the Consolidated Community Church in Emerald Springs, Ohio. His wife, Aggie, initially has her doubts about settling down in a small town, but eventually she, Ed, and their two young children find themselves making friends, except for elderly parishioner Gelsey Falowell who despises Ed and wants to get rid of him. Gelsey's wish may come true when the naked body of a murder v...more
VJ
Just starting off and I'm not 100% thrilled with the tone of the narration. I hope I like it further in or I may return the second book unread. Oh well.

I think I came into this book with high expectations and it failed to meet them. The book itself wasn't bad. One of the bad guys was not on my radar at all. The story unfolded pretty well.

I guess I just didn't expect the characters to be who they were. I had a picture in my mind of who they should be and they did not fit it at all. I had a hard t...more
Cindy
This was a light hearted fun little read. It wasn't preachy, it wasn't gory, it wasn't explicit.
It was humorous, it was real, it was refreshing.
I was pleasantly surprised to find sentences I wanted to underline such as "I wonder if we have children because our own childhoods aren't long enough."

I really enjoyed reading about the things Aggie learned at the hands of her parents, and that she had assimilated those awkward years into who she was, a well-balanced, intelligent, realistic woman, wit...more
Elaine
Some of the church members don't want Aggie and her husband Ed - the minister, there, especially one woman in particular - Gelsey. The dead body of a woman shows up on the doorstep of the parsonage, adding fuel to Gelsey's spark of dislike. She knows that Ed was seen talking with the dead woman on more than one occasion, causing Gelsey to believe he has something to do with her demise. Then when someone else ends up with a bullet through them...well, what are Ed and Aggie to do? Aggie does some...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was a great book. I was pleasantly surprised because I was thinking it might be preachy but it was a sensible, credible, and honest look at a fictional family who is headed by a sensible and realistic Minister.

I have met persons like the vestry described in the book. Some are self-proclaimed pillars of the church while some are quiet, meek, and carry the burden of the various groups.

The crime was solid and sudden. You could understand why the sleuth, in this case, the minister's wife...more
Ruth
I don't usually read murder mysteries, but I've been working my way through Emilie Richards' books and this one came up on bookmooch so I grabbed it. The main character is the wife of the pastor of a Unitarian church in a small Ohio town. One day a naked dead woman is dumped on her doorstep. The pastor is the last one to have spoken to her while she was alive. Little by little his wife is drawn into solving the mystery of who killed this woman and why, and in the end, she learns. As I said earli...more
Carol
An enjoyable first book in a cosy mystery series. The tone is lighter, more humorous than the true crime fiction but doesn't cross the line into hokey.

I especially enjoyed the believable mother/daughter relationships along with the rebellion of the teen daughter over the clothing restrictions -- very true to life.

And I could identify with the pastor's wife sleuth who dreaded baking for the critical ladies of the church or move too fast to change things in "their" parsonage. I've had friends in...more
Kristi
ehhh, the family was interesting, i wouldn't mind reading more about raising teenagers, i like the green meanies mom rules for fashion. and anything about husband and wife relations, although again there could have been more to this. Poor Ed was absent for much of hte book it felt like.
But the whole church thing wasn't really christian enough, she could have brought more of that into it to make it unique.
I'm having trouble with the whole Mob connections in a quiet Ohio town.
and i'm not so hot...more
Evelyn
Apr 01, 2008 Evelyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cozy mystery readers
This is the second book I've read by Emilie Richards and have enjoyed them both. This particular series focuses on a minister and his wife who live in a small town in Ohio with their two young children.

In this particular (cozy) mystery, a dead body turns up on their front porch. The minister's wife, Aggie, has to find out why - and in the process, nearly gets herself killed by the person you would least suspect. The plot and subplots are woven together well and make for a good page-turner.

The au...more
Denise
a cute read. Lots of humour throughout the book. There were so many characters I had trouble keeping track of them all. The climax was pretty predictable.

Since the book was written in the first person, I found it hard to lay the busybody personality on myself. I found I was constantly at odds, trying to "hear" what the author was saying and then remembering that the heroine had a different personality than myself.

I love the bit about being attracted to another guy and not acting on it, while bei...more
Miriam
It's okay- quick easy read and somewhat fun. It is definitely not a 'great' mystery nor great lit, so just easy read. And it wasn't typical Christian- no mention of Christ at all (the 'religion' of main character is Unitarian, so it's like all religions in one?, no absolute truth I gather- not very familiar with this; I did though find myself expressing similar experiences/feelings of the main character when it came to living in small/rural town) I would not call it a Christian/Inspirational boo...more
Sheila Siler
This was a nice little book to read for those of us who like murder mysteries. The plot was well developed and the character development well-paced. Though the main character is a pastor's wife of the local Unitarian Church, I wouldn't classify this as "Christian Fiction".

I enjoyed the main character, she has a delightful personality and great curiosity that leads her throughout the book in a fairly reasonable manner.

I bought the first four books of this series at the used book store, and I am...more
Pam
TITLE/AUTHOR: BLESSED IS THE BUSYBODY by Emilie Richards
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/# OF PGS/PUB DATE: Mystery, 262 pgs, 2005
TIME/PLACE: Present, Emerald Springs, Ohio
CHARACTERS: Aggie Sloan-Wilcox/minister's wife
COMMENTS: 1st in the ministry is murder series. Nice
start to a cozy series...not at all preachy/religious.
When a dead naked body of an unidentifed woman shows
up on the doorsteps of the parsonage....the minister
is suspect. Aggie w/ the help of her realtor friend,
Lucy, does her own sleuthing.
Cindy
Sep 26, 2007 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries
Despite the cover, this isn't really a 'religious' mystery book. The main character is married to a minister and that plays a part in the book, but not more than in the Faith Fairchild books by Katherine Hall Page.

I liked Aggie as a character and as a mom. Not so sure I loved her as a sleuth. I wouldn't mind reading more in this series, but I'm not sure how hard I would look for them.

Pat
Cute story and good characters. Nice and clean, no hot steamy scenes or nasty language. And the character, Aggie is quite entertaining. I have thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Mary couch
I really enjoyed this. It is a light mystery, but it also made me think for the solve, and the main character made me laugh on many occasions. Maybe I have more delight in this book because she is a minister's wife and I am a minister's daughter. I told my mom this is the type of minister's wife I would make, not the patient, kind, and thoughtful one that she was!
Janell
New murder mystery series with a minister's wife as the main character. She is actually quite a bit of fun which adds a fair amount of humor to the story. In its own mystery genre compared to others, I would probably give this one 4 stars. (It was nice to move away from the plentiful "cooking" mystery series out there.)
Maria
An entertaining, cosy mystery. A likeable heroine and a mystery that I did not solve before the big reveal. Despite the strong religous title and cover art, the book really wasn't religious .... just so happens that the heroine's husband is a minister.
Ratforce
Emilie Richards is a minister’s wife in real life, and has used that as inspiration for her series of mysteries called Ministry is Murder. You might enjoy the combination of the life of clergy along with an amateur sleuth. This is the first in the series.
Terry
Monica
I was excited to read the book because it was from the perspective of a pastors wife. Unfortunately, this was not in line with christian values or morals and therefore didn't make any sense. Stopped reading after only a couple of chapters. Too bad.
Amy
Fun new mystery series about a pastor's wife in smalltown Ohio,(see why I like it?! Thanks to Sara!), who ends up solving a murder while caught up in quirky parish life - a fun, light read, I'm looking forward to resding more in the series!
Aubree Bowling
Clean in terms of sex and language but in spite of being about a minister and his wife, the story was witty, realistic, sassy at times, and not saccharine or cheesy. Very good, I want to find more in this series for sure!
  • Murder Can Kill Your Social Life (Desiree Shapiro, #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Veiled Threats (Carnegie Kincaid, #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • A Dose of Murder (Pauline Sokol, #1)
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, Book 1)
  • Murder Packs a Suitcase (Murder Packs a Suitcase, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • The Dog Park Club: A Mystery
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, both women's fiction and mystery. I'm excited about my newest series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed last year by Somewhere Between Luck and Trust. The third book in the series, A River Too Wide, will be published soon.

Last year my husband and I moved from Arlington, Virginia, to Osprey, Florida, the state wher...more
More about Emilie Richards...
Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album) Happiness Key (Happiness Key Series, #1) Lover's Knot Sister's Choice Iron Lace