Start by marking “Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry Is Murder Mystery,#1)” as Want to Read:
Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry Is Murder Mystery,#1)

Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry is Murder #1)

Meet the unconventional Aggie Sloan-Wilcox, a minister's wife with her own calling: helping troubled  souls in need of justice.  When the naked body of a murdered woman turns up on Aggie's front porch--and suspicion falls on Aggie's husband--she doesn't have a prayer of clearing his name unless she can uncover the truth in a town not known for confessing its sins.
Published December 6th 2005 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Is The Busybody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed Is The Busybody

Book Concierge
Ed Wilcox and his wife Aggie Sloan-Wilcox have been in Emerald Springs for a little over a year. The congregation at their church seems to have taken to the new minister and his family, but now Gelsey Falowell, the matriarch who is a major benefactor and also runs the Women’s Society, seems bent on getting the minister fired. Aggie is doing her best to smooth any ruffled feathers but things take a turn for the worse when the naked body of a murdered woman is found on the parsonage’s front porch. ...more
Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 Suad Shamma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2014
It has been ages since I've read a mystery novel - and a good one at that. I was thrilled to have purchased Emilie Richards' Ministry is Murder series as she has yet to disappoint.

Blessed is the Busybody is the first book in the series, and I admit it started out a bit slow for my liking. That only seems fair now, as Richards needed to present us with the whole picture, giving us a thorough background on Aggie Sloan-Wilcox and her minister husband Ed, as well as her children, her mother in law,
Nicole
Apr 21, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
So, I took incredibly long to finish this book. Various reasons, but mainly because the book didn't grab me as much as I hoped. The storyline is great, the characters are great (that's why I gave it 4 stars), but it just wasn't a book that made me feel "I NEED TO FINISH TODAY", but more "Meh, I'll grab it when I have nothing to do". As said, the storyline was great, I had no idea who the murderer was and the story unfolded piece by piece gradually over the book which is a big plus.

I will give bo
Brenda
Feb 02, 2010 Brenda rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable cozy mystery. I did like the references to "how churches run." I had not figured out who the murders were until they were revealed. I really enjoyed that the mystery was solved by a lay person and not the cute police officer. The story was believable and well-crafted.
Connie N.
Sep 20, 2012 Connie N. rated it it was amazing
I very much liked the main character in this cozy mystery. Aggie is a warm and friendly woman, wife of a minister, who seems genuine and is a good person. She is a stay-at-home mom who raises her daughters in a no-nonsense but warm and humorous way. She and minister-husband Ed have a nice normal relationship, and I appreciate their closeness and how well they are suited to each other. I got such a nice feeling about their home and their values. Of course, Aggie also got involved in a murder myst ...more
Cheryl
May 11, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I think I have read at least one other book by this author, probably one of her romances, and I like her light touch.

The characters are interesting and she clearly knows the life of a minister's wife very well. I find Aggie to be a good wife and mother -- she accepts that her youngest daughter's penchant for holding funerals for the (live) cat probably mean she will be a minister and that her older daughter's early onset teen angst is going to make life interesting. She is made weak-kneed by th
Mark Baker
Mar 18, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2006
Aggie tries to do her job of supporting her preacher husband and raise their daughters in the best way she can. Avoiding scandal is her number one priority. So why then, is there a naked dead woman on her front doorstep? The characters lept off the page at me as if I'd known them for a long time even though this is a series debut. The plot was fan moving and fun as well. My only issue? I don't agree with the character's theology, but I didn't expect to, and I devoured the entire series.

Read my f
Kathryn
Dec 15, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
1st in the series and Emilie Richards has created a super sleuth who is witty, and makes a great minister's wife, friend and mother.
Tiona
Mar 20, 2010 Tiona rated it really liked it
Found this at Halfprice books and liked the title. Well written and charming story. I love mysteries so it was fun to find a new author to read. Looking forward to more.
Virginia Harrell
Jun 21, 2017 Virginia Harrell rated it really liked it
Such a delightful read.....for anyone, nothing explicit, nothing gruesome. Ms. Richards has a wonderful way of expressing opinions, funny and creative. Such an easy book to read; well crafted, well written.
Mama K
Jan 06, 2017 Mama K rated it it was ok
Guess I was misled by the "ministry" and "blessed" in title. Not written from a Christian perspective and not quite as clean as I was anticipating. Storyline was fine, just not what I was expecting for content...
Sally906
Dec 30, 2012 Sally906 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Opening Sentence: “…Teddy was getting ready to bury the cat again, and old moonpie, whose nine lives had been used up before he was fully weaned, was not protesting...”

Aggie Sloane-Wilcox is trying to adjust to small town life in Emerald Springs, Ohio as a both a mother and a Minister’s wife. Aggie and her family are constantly under scrutiny from the church members, made worse by the fact that the parsonage is right next to the church. The book opens as Aggie prepares for the arrival of the Wom
Drebbles
Jul 21, 2010 Drebbles added it
Shelves: 2007
After working in a church in Boston and another in Washington, D.C., minister Ed Wilcox and his family have transferred to the Consolidated Community Church in Emerald Springs, Ohio. His wife, Aggie, initially has her doubts about settling down in a small town, but eventually she, Ed, and their two young children find themselves making friends, except for elderly parishioner Gelsey Falowell who despises Ed and wants to get rid of him. Gelsey's wish may come true when the naked body of a murder v ...more
VJ
Jun 06, 2013 VJ rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Just starting off and I'm not 100% thrilled with the tone of the narration. I hope I like it further in or I may return the second book unread. Oh well.

I think I came into this book with high expectations and it failed to meet them. The book itself wasn't bad. One of the bad guys was not on my radar at all. The story unfolded pretty well.

I guess I just didn't expect the characters to be who they were. I had a picture in my mind of who they should be and they did not fit it at all. I had a hard t
Trula Rae
Jul 24, 2015 Trula Rae rated it it was amazing
I was hooked into this delightfully tangled “cozy mystery” from the first sentence on. Teddy, the youngest daughter of the minister and his wife, is going to bury the cat again. Hooked! From there Emilie Richards nailed all the mystery writing prerequisites of a centered plot coupled with compelling characters, and small town setting that is all so relatable. I like that the murders aren’t gruesome detailed descriptions of gore. That the suspense is bundled up in levity. I really, really enjoyed ...more
NANCY
Sep 03, 2015 NANCY added it
Too scarey for my "enjoyment". The Shenandoah Album Series contained just enough mystery and intrigue to keep me reading. I could NOT put down those books! Read them every waking moment! Between meals, durng work breaks, waiting in line at the bank, dining at restaurants! The series was addictive! I wish Emilie would continue that Series to expand on other characters from those books. As far as the Ministry of Murder Series, my first introduction by way of this book "Blessed is the Busybody" was ...more
Cindy
Mar 22, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it
This was a light hearted fun little read. It wasn't preachy, it wasn't gory, it wasn't explicit.
It was humorous, it was real, it was refreshing.
I was pleasantly surprised to find sentences I wanted to underline such as "I wonder if we have children because our own childhoods aren't long enough."

I really enjoyed reading about the things Aggie learned at the hands of her parents, and that she had assimilated those awkward years into who she was, a well-balanced, intelligent, realistic woman, wit
Elaine
May 08, 2009 Elaine rated it liked it
Some of the church members don't want Aggie and her husband Ed - the minister, there, especially one woman in particular - Gelsey. The dead body of a woman shows up on the doorstep of the parsonage, adding fuel to Gelsey's spark of dislike. She knows that Ed was seen talking with the dead woman on more than one occasion, causing Gelsey to believe he has something to do with her demise. Then when someone else ends up with a bullet through them...well, what are Ed and Aggie to do? Aggie does some ...more
Dharia Scarab
Aug 25, 2016 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Carol
May 19, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
An enjoyable first book in a cosy mystery series. The tone is lighter, more humorous than the true crime fiction but doesn't cross the line into hokey.

I especially enjoyed the believable mother/daughter relationships along with the rebellion of the teen daughter over the clothing restrictions -- very true to life.

And I could identify with the pastor's wife sleuth who dreaded baking for the critical ladies of the church or move too fast to change things in "their" parsonage. I've had friends in
Ruth
Nov 09, 2008 Ruth rated it liked it
I don't usually read murder mysteries, but I've been working my way through Emilie Richards' books and this one came up on bookmooch so I grabbed it. The main character is the wife of the pastor of a Unitarian church in a small Ohio town. One day a naked dead woman is dumped on her doorstep. The pastor is the last one to have spoken to her while she was alive. Little by little his wife is drawn into solving the mystery of who killed this woman and why, and in the end, she learns. As I said earli ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 30, 2010 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
This book was a great book. I was pleasantly surprised because I was thinking it might be preachy but it was a sensible, credible, and honest look at a fictional family who is headed by a sensible and realistic Minister.

I have met persons like the vestry described in the book. Some are self-proclaimed pillars of the church while some are quiet, meek, and carry the burden of the various groups.

The crime was solid and sudden. You could understand why the sleuth, in this case, the minister's wife
Beckiezra
Nov 20, 2014 Beckiezra rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
It had a slow start and many characters that didn't appeal to me, but it did get more exciting by the end and left me with a smile. I would have liked to know more about the beliefs of Unitarians (I had some knowledge from one event I went to but others in my book club entirely missed connections about why the family was vegetarian or other things because they didn't know anything about the religion). I often felt like people were introduced or mentioned just so they could be brought into a myst ...more
Evelyn
Apr 01, 2008 Evelyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cozy mystery readers
This is the second book I've read by Emilie Richards and have enjoyed them both. This particular series focuses on a minister and his wife who live in a small town in Ohio with their two young children.

In this particular (cozy) mystery, a dead body turns up on their front porch. The minister's wife, Aggie, has to find out why - and in the process, nearly gets herself killed by the person you would least suspect. The plot and subplots are woven together well and make for a good page-turner.

The au
Kristi
May 18, 2009 Kristi rated it did not like it
ehhh, the family was interesting, i wouldn't mind reading more about raising teenagers, i like the green meanies mom rules for fashion. and anything about husband and wife relations, although again there could have been more to this. Poor Ed was absent for much of hte book it felt like.
But the whole church thing wasn't really christian enough, she could have brought more of that into it to make it unique.
I'm having trouble with the whole Mob connections in a quiet Ohio town.
and i'm not so hot
Pam
Sep 23, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it
TITLE/AUTHOR: BLESSED IS THE BUSYBODY by Emilie Richards
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/# OF PGS/PUB DATE: Mystery, 262 pgs, 2005
TIME/PLACE: Present, Emerald Springs, Ohio
CHARACTERS: Aggie Sloan-Wilcox/minister's wife
COMMENTS: 1st in the ministry is murder series. Nice
start to a cozy series...not at all preachy/religious.
When a dead naked body of an unidentifed woman shows
up on the doorsteps of the parsonage....the minister
is suspect. Aggie w/ the help of her realtor friend,
Lucy, does her own sleuthing.
Miriam
Nov 23, 2008 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It's okay- quick easy read and somewhat fun. It is definitely not a 'great' mystery nor great lit, so just easy read. And it wasn't typical Christian- no mention of Christ at all (the 'religion' of main character is Unitarian, so it's like all religions in one?, no absolute truth I gather- not very familiar with this; I did though find myself expressing similar experiences/feelings of the main character when it came to living in small/rural town) I would not call it a Christian/Inspirational boo ...more
Denise
Sep 18, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
a cute read. Lots of humour throughout the book. There were so many characters I had trouble keeping track of them all. The climax was pretty predictable.

Since the book was written in the first person, I found it hard to lay the busybody personality on myself. I found I was constantly at odds, trying to "hear" what the author was saying and then remembering that the heroine had a different personality than myself.

I love the bit about being attracted to another guy and not acting on it, while bei
Sheila Siler
Jan 21, 2013 Sheila Siler rated it liked it
This was a nice little book to read for those of us who like murder mysteries. The plot was well developed and the character development well-paced. Though the main character is a pastor's wife of the local Unitarian Church, I wouldn't classify this as "Christian Fiction".

I enjoyed the main character, she has a delightful personality and great curiosity that leads her throughout the book in a fairly reasonable manner.

I bought the first four books of this series at the used book store, and I am
Verity W
Oct 28, 2016 Verity W rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-crime
I do like a good cozy crime and this was recommended to me by a friend after a disappointing experience with a similar type of book in the genre - and I'm pleased to report that this was much, much better. I liked the dynamic between Aggie and Ed, her children are amusing and real without being plot moppets and the murder is good and intriguing. I've already got book two in my saved for later basket on a well known shopping website...
USA Geography Cha...: Blessed is the Busybody by Emilie Richards 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 06:53AM
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
  • O' Artful Death
  • The Dog Park Club
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • A Dose of Murder (Pauline Sokol, #1)
  • Dogs Don't Lie (Pru Marlowe, #1)
  • Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1)
  • Well Bred and Dead (A High Society Mystery, #1)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • The Hangman's Row Enquiry (Ivy Beasley, #1)
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, including romance, women's fiction and mystery. When We Were Sisters debuted in June 2016, a stand alone novel about two foster sisters traveling back into their past together. I loved writing it and love the cover my publisher chose.

I'm also excited about my recent series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed by So
More about Emilie Richards...

Ministry is Murder (5 books)
  • Let There Be Suspects (Ministry Is Murder Mystery, #2)
  • Beware False Profits (Ministry is Murder Mystery, #3)
  • A Lie for a Lie (Ministry is Murder Mystery, #4)
  • A Truth For a Truth (Ministry is Murder Mystery, #5)