Start by marking “The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book: Everything You Need to Know to Put Your EQ to Work” as Want to Read:

In today's fast-paced world of competitive workplaces and chaotic personal lives, each of us is searching for effective tools that can make our schedules, behaviors, and relationships more manageable. The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book shows us how understanding and utilizing emotional intelligence can be the key to exceeding our goals and achieving our fullest potentia ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 10th 2007 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book

E
Apr 14, 2009 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boost your EQ

If you had to select the person you think is “most likely to succeed,” how would you go about making your choice? According to authors Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves, you’d miss the mark if you based your choice on educational achievement, intelligence or experience. The main criteria, instead, is a set of social skills known as “emotional intelligence (EQ)” that helps people interact effectively. When you’re emotionally intelligent, your emotions work for – not against – you, an
Rachel
Feb 03, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess it's an okay book. I'm really annoyed with my internet connection because it just lost my entire first review, but partially thanks to this book, I'm not throwing a hissy fit. Something I wouldn't have done even if I hadn't read this book. I suppose the book can get a little crpytic at times, especially when it comes to the part about how to manage your colleagues or co-workers blahblah...

They divide emotional intelligence into 4 skills
1) self-management
2) social awareness
3) self-awarene
Joy H.
May 16, 2016 Joy H. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
7/25/16 - Read to page 159. Interesting but not compelling.

The main idea is to think things through and to try to view things objectively, and also to try to see the other person's point of view. Some good ideas to think about. Planning ahead for future activities is important so that you are prepared to do the best thing.

PS-They try to get you to buy their test of your own emotional intelligence.
Tamara
Decent summary of emotional intelligence theory, including the four main aspects: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management.

Provided some good examples, but I would have liked more practical advice about how to put emotional intelligence into play during specific situations.

Useful Quotes:

Self-awareness includes staying on top of your typical reactions to specific events, challenges and even people. A keen understanding of your tendencies is important; it fac
Ali Naderi
کتاب راجع به این موضوع بحث میکند که چرا افرادی علی رغم دارا بودن آی کیو بالا در زندگی در حال دست و پنجه نرم کردن با ساده ترین مسائل هستند
سپس به معرفی ئی کیو و نقش آن در زندگی فردی و اجتماعی میپردازد.
نویسندگان ئی کیو را شامل چهار بخش خودآگاهی ، مدیریت شخصی ، آگاهی اجتماعی و مدیریت روابط اجتماعی میدانند
و همچنین اشاره میکنند که ئی کیو علی رغم آی کیو اکتسابی است و نه خدادادی
و روش هایی برای افزایش ئی کیو ارائه میدهند.
Calypso
Um livro interessante mas do qual esperava bem mais!
Peter Koevari
Many people know what IQ (Intelligence Quotient) is, how it is measured, applied, and may have even taken the endless amount of IQ tests online. When EQ (Emotional Quotient) or EI (Emotional Intelligence) is mentioned, it is apparent that many people do not know what it is, or much about it.

EQ or EI (I will try to stick with one or the other in this review, to reduce the use of acronyms) is a measure of our abilities to not only understand our own emotions and how we react to them, but to tune i
Kalilah
Sep 20, 2012 Kalilah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Humans
Recommended to Kalilah by: My Dad
My Dad recommended this book to me, knowing I am very interested in Emotional Intelligence and self-improvement, etc.
I think it's an interesting read, and certainly has some insightful stories and discussions, but the problem is that there isn't enough advice on how to "take action" or work towards actually building one's emotional intelligence.
It's a quick book after all, but some quick tips would've been much appreciated.

It took a second go at reading this for me to fully understand and apprec
Carlos Vasquez
Mar 21, 2016 Carlos Vasquez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dennis
Sometimes it bodes well to refresh oneself on common sense through a quick book from the self-help shelf. "Emotional Intelligence" more or less reads like a companion guide to a business seminar by corporate human resources experts on improving interpersonal interactions in order to maximize productivity and effectiveness. The concepts about awareness, managing yourself, and bridging those skills into relationships with others is hardly groundbreaking. Still, the universal principles are worth b ...more
Suzanne
This is a great read for grasping the basics of emotional intelligence without studying it at length. It has sections that highlight main ideas. EQ is sometimes seen as much more important than IQ in today's world of change. There are always those of us who are very bright, but are not sensitive to our friends and colleagues and cannot carry on a conversation that is balanced and engaging. This book helps identify and examine EQ and is very informative. I think it is a great book for anyone, inc ...more
Dayanithy Mani
This is a short and quick read which explains the influence of emotional intelligence at work, home and everything else we do.
The book explains two main skills - personal and social competence and how to work on improving them. You could also take an online EQ test and get a report.

Overall, it's a worthy read !!!

PS: They do have a newer and a lengthier version of this book - Emotional Intelligence 2.0.
Steven van Doorn
Aug 15, 2013 Steven van Doorn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need to know?

The emphasis in the title should definitely be on the word "quick" this was a very quick, required read, but I got very little out of it. It in very basic terms described what Emotional Intelligence is but I found the advice for how to improve to be meager. A couple of basic ideas followed in many cases by a plug for their website or seminar. Although I think EI can be very important, I would try another book to learn about it.
Johnathan Lon
The book Emotional intelligence is a great motavator for peole that struggle with making the right chocies, I agree that this is a great way to learn tips on how to react when a prolem comes up. It teaches you how to train your brain. When I got this book i thought "what the heck am I reading?" My mother gave me this bookto read and she said that i would learn alot from it and i somewhat did. i say the book is great for people that are in the mix of emotions and don't know what to do.
Robert
Mar 13, 2009 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've heard so much about Emotional Intelligence (EQ), so I decided to take a look at it. I have decidedly the emotional response of a caveman so I thought a little self learning might be in order. Good information throughout and definitely made me wanting more, which is I suppose the point of a quickbook.
Sergey
A quick and easy read, but not enough substance on how to master one's emotional intelligence. The book explains well what emotional intelligence is, but falls short on the 'how' to overcome low emotional intelligence or improve one's current emotional intelligence. It did spark an interest to explore the authors' other book, Emotional Intelligence Appraisal, however.
Nicole DeVries
Helpful, quick read. Engaging stories at the beginning of most chapters. Insightful quotes at the beginning of chapters and sections. Effectively motivated me to look carefully at the emotions I feel and how I engage with them-- to learn to be more emotionally competent and not ignore my emotions or let them run over me.
Mary
Feb 07, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I appreciated that this book gave a good background and discussion into EI without going too deeply into it. I am interested in exploring this more but needed a "quick & dirty" intro, and this was perfect for it.
Henry Park
Great book to get started on the journey of being emotionally intelligent. Yes there are stupid people out there, i was one of them... This is field is a brand new study so not much on the subject (called EQ vs. IQ). I found this to be very helpful.
Nurshafiqa
does not offer much useful insights to EQ that i have not already know.
to the book's credit, it IS a quick read, perfect for anyone who doesn't wish to go into depth on the subject of emotional intelligence.
Janet Blair
Jan 17, 2009 Janet Blair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book taught me so much! It's an incredible book that showed me the power of the "other side of smart." Definitely a book I'd recommend to those looking to get ahead at work and get along better with friends and family.
Jonathan Berry-Smith
Perhaps my low EI score (8th percentile) makes me impartial, but I didn't get much out of reading this. I bought it on sale , so I wasn't extremely upset with the purchase...would have been livid had this cost me sticker price however
BG
Nov 19, 2011 BG rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is a very quick read, but didn't give enough practical advice. When I finished the book, I really wasn't sure what I had to do to actually improve my EI.
May
Jun 13, 2011 May rated it liked it
Shelves: soft-skills
I enjoyed the CD's though I have to admit, I did not listen through the appendix which was also read on the last CD.
Drew Weinzapfel
May 09, 2014 Drew Weinzapfel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great practical guide to thinking through and dealing with emotions in a constructive manner. I found the real life stories and examples helpful in illustrating key concepts.
Adam Moore
Feb 25, 2013 Adam Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives an overview of Emotional Intelligence but doesn't delve deep enough to be a great go-to book on the subject.
Samer Al Zahab
May 06, 2013 Samer Al Zahab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب مهم يطرح طريقة جديدة للتفكير و التعامل مع الأمور بأسلوب لم يتحدث عنه أحد قط.
أنصح به لكل من يسعى لتطوير الذات.
Marianne Mullen
Quick and easy read. Read for masters in EQ
Cát Tường
Nov 27, 2016 Cát Tường rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book cannot tell me how important EQ is for life, work... as well as I cannot see the methods to raise our EQ. It is very theoretical, although some examples are mentioned in the books.
  • How to Say Anything to Anyone: A Guide to Building Business Relationships That Really Work
  • The Hard Truth About Soft Skills: Workplace Lessons Smart People Wish They'd Learned Sooner
  • The Language of Emotional Intelligence: The Five Essential Tools for Building Powerful and Effective Relationships
  • Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts: Using the Power of Pleasure to Have Your Way with the World (How to Use the Power of Pleasure)
  • Go Suck a Lemon: Strategies for Improving Your Emotional Intelligence
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
  • Make a Name for Yourself: Eight Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy for Success
  • How To Control Your Anger Before It Controls You
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Grit: How to Keep Going When You Want to Give Up
  • Lifetypes
  • The 21-Day Consciousness Cleanse: A Breakthrough Program for Connecting with Your Soul's Deepest Purpose
  • Exploring Happiness: From Aristotle to Brain Science
  • How to Want What You Have: Discovering the Magic and Grandeur of Ordinary Existence
  • How Children Learn the Meanings of Words
  • First Among Equals: How to Manage a Group of Professionals
  • The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art
  • Sitting in the Fire: Large Group Transformation Using Conflict and Diversity
Dr. Travis Bradberry is the award-winning author of the #1 best selling book, Emotional Intelligence 2.0, and the cofounder of TalentSmart®⎯a consultancy that serves more than 75% of Fortune 500 companies and is the world’s leading provider of emotional intelligence tests and training.

His bestselling books have been translated into 25 languages and are available in more than 150 countries. Dr. Bra
More about Travis Bradberry...