The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book: Everything You Need to Know to Put Your EQ to Work

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  40 reviews
In today's fast-paced world of competitive workplaces and chaotic personal lives, each of us is searching for effective tools that can make our schedules, behaviors, and relationships more manageable. The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book shows us how understanding and utilizing emotional intelligence can be the key to exceeding our goals and achieving our fullest potentia...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 10th 2007 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2003)

Rachel
I guess it's an okay book. I'm really annoyed with my internet connection because it just lost my entire first review, but partially thanks to this book, I'm not throwing a hissy fit. Something I wouldn't have done even if I hadn't read this book. I suppose the book can get a little crpytic at times, especially when it comes to the part about how to manage your colleagues or co-workers blahblah...

They divide emotional intelligence into 4 skills
1) self-management
2) social awareness
3) self-awarene...more
Tamara

Provided some good examples, but I would have liked more practical advice about how to put emotional intelligence into play during specific situations.

Useful Quotes:

Self-awareness includes staying on top of your typical reactions to specific events, challenges and even people. A keen understanding of your tendencies is important; it fac...more
getAbstract
Boost your EQ

If you had to select the person you think is “most likely to succeed,” how would you go about making your choice? According to authors Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves, you’d miss the mark if you based your choice on educational achievement, intelligence or experience. The main criteria, instead, is a set of social skills known as “emotional intelligence (EQ)” that helps people interact effectively. When you’re emotionally intelligent, your emotions work for – not against – you, an...more
Calypso
Um livro interessante mas do qual esperava bem mais!
Peter Koevari
Many people know what IQ (Intelligence Quotient) is, how it is measured, applied, and may have even taken the endless amount of IQ tests online. When EQ (Emotional Quotient) or EI (Emotional Intelligence) is mentioned, it is apparent that many people do not know what it is, or much about it.

EQ or EI (I will try to stick with one or the other in this review, to reduce the use of acronyms) is a measure of our abilities to not only understand our own emotions and how we react to them, but to tune i...more
Kalilah
Sep 22, 2012 Kalilah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Humans
Recommended to Kalilah by: My Dad
My Dad recommended this book to me, knowing I am very interested in Emotional Intelligence and self-improvement, etc.
I think it's an interesting read, and certainly has some insightful stories and discussions, but the problem is that there isn't enough advice on how to "take action" or work towards actually building one's emotional intelligence.
It's a quick book after all, but some quick tips would've been much appreciated.

It took a second go at reading this for me to fully understand and apprec...more
Dennis
Sometimes it bodes well to refresh oneself on common sense through a quick book from the self-help shelf. "Emotional Intelligence" more or less reads like a companion guide to a business seminar by corporate human resources experts on improving interpersonal interactions in order to maximize productivity and effectiveness. The concepts about awareness, managing yourself, and bridging those skills into relationships with others is hardly groundbreaking. Still, the universal principles are worth b...more
Drew Weinzapfel
Great practical guide to thinking through and dealing with emotions in a constructive manner. I found the real life stories and examples helpful in illustrating key concepts.
Suzanne
This is a great read for grasping the basics of emotional intelligence without studying it at length. It has sections that highlight main ideas. EQ is sometimes seen as much more important than IQ in today's world of change. There are always those of us who are very bright, but are not sensitive to our friends and colleagues and cannot carry on a conversation that is balanced and engaging. This book helps identify and examine EQ and is very informative. I think it is a great book for anyone, inc...more
Johnathan Lon
The book Emotional intelligence is a great motavator for peole that struggle with making the right chocies, I agree that this is a great way to learn tips on how to react when a prolem comes up. It teaches you how to train your brain. When I got this book i thought "what the heck am I reading?" My mother gave me this bookto read and she said that i would learn alot from it and i somewhat did. i say the book is great for people that are in the mix of emotions and don't know what to do.
Steven van Doorn
Everything you need to know?

The emphasis in the title should definitely be on the word "quick" this was a very quick, required read, but I got very little out of it. It in very basic terms described what Emotional Intelligence is but I found the advice for how to improve to be meager. A couple of basic ideas followed in many cases by a plug for their website or seminar. Although I think EI can be very important, I would try another book to learn about it.
Sergey
A quick and easy read, but not enough substance on how to master one's emotional intelligence. The book explains well what emotional intelligence is, but falls short on the 'how' to overcome low emotional intelligence or improve one's current emotional intelligence. It did spark an interest to explore the authors' other book, Emotional Intelligence Appraisal, however.
Robert
I've heard so much about Emotional Intelligence (EQ), so I decided to take a look at it. I have decidedly the emotional response of a caveman so I thought a little self learning might be in order. Good information throughout and definitely made me wanting more, which is I suppose the point of a quickbook.
Janet Blair
The Emotional Intelligence Quick Book taught me so much! It's an incredible book that showed me the power of the "other side of smart." Definitely a book I'd recommend to those looking to get ahead at work and get along better with friends and family.
Henry Park
Great book to get started on the journey of being emotionally intelligent. Yes there are stupid people out there, i was one of them... This is field is a brand new study so not much on the subject (called EQ vs. IQ). I found this to be very helpful.
Nurshafiqa
does not offer much useful insights to EQ that i have not already know.
to the book's credit, it IS a quick read, perfect for anyone who doesn't wish to go into depth on the subject of emotional intelligence.
Ileana
This is a concise book about a part of ourselves and how to manage it. It colors and influences our lives, it is trainable and it can grow (if we are disposed to "lean into discomfort").
Westerville
Tamara says, "Decent summary of emotional intelligence theory, including the four main aspects: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management."
BG
The book is a very quick read, but didn't give enough practical advice. When I finished the book, I really wasn't sure what I had to do to actually improve my EI.
Aces
Dec 20, 2008 Aces rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
I'm hoping this will help me learn to breathe. If you interact with people, you would benefit from reading this book. There is always room for improvement.
Shan Ali
The book is a good read for anyone who wants to know the basics of Emotional Intelligence but has been written in a very ineffective way.
May
Jun 13, 2011 May added it
Shelves: soft-skills
I enjoyed the CD's though I have to admit, I did not listen through the appendix which was also read on the last CD.
Gina
Good overall description of Emotional Intelligence. Read again? Need key code to do online test. Talentsmart.com
Samer Al Zahab
كتاب مهم يطرح طريقة جديدة للتفكير و التعامل مع الأمور بأسلوب لم يتحدث عنه أحد قط.
أنصح به لكل من يسعى لتطوير الذات.
Read this for work. Most of it is pretty obvious. No major revelations here. Granted, I still need to take the test...
Adam Moore
Gives an overview of Emotional Intelligence but doesn't delve deep enough to be a great go-to book on the subject.
Irfan
nothing much here..
just a simple introduction..
and a free online EQ test..
its not what im expecting..
Saeid
A good book that explained emotional intelligence in simple language. The best part was the last section.
Vanessa
Very good book to make aware of yourself and your environment. Basic concepts of emotional intelligence!
Ava
It was a good quick read that effectively explained Emotional Intelligence.
  • The 21-Day Consciousness Cleanse
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
  • Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts: Using the Power of Pleasure to Have Your Way with the World
  • Surviving a Borderline Parent: How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds and Build Trust, Boundaries, and Self-Esteem
  • The Three Laws of Performance: Rewriting the Future of Your Organization and Your Life
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Self-Esteem
  • The Beck Diet Solution
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends: Revised and Updated
  • Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul
  • This Is Not the Life I Ordered: 50 Ways to Keep Your Head Above Water When Life Keeps Dragging You Down
  • How to Behave So Your Preschooler Will, Too!
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
Dr. Travis Bradberry is the award-winning author of the #1 best selling book, Emotional Intelligence 2.0, and the cofounder of TalentSmart®⎯a consultancy that serves more than 75% of Fortune 500 companies and is the world’s leading provider of emotional intelligence tests and training.

His bestselling books have been translated into 25 languages and are available in more than 150 countries. Dr. Bra...more
More about Travis Bradberry...
Emotional Intelligence 2.0 The Personality Code: Unlock the Secret to Understanding Your Boss, Your Colleagues, Your Friends...and Yourself! Cryonic: A Zombie Novel Leadership 2.0 Self-Awareness: The Hidden Driver of Success and Satisfaction