Start by marking “Poems of the Great War 1914-1918” as Want to Read:
Poems of the Great War 1914-1918

Poems of the Great War 1914-1918

Offers an introduction to the First World War Poetry. This title features the sequence of poems that is drawn from a number of sources, mixing both well-known and less familiar poetry.
Published October 29th 1998 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Poems of the Great War 1914-1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems of the Great War 1914-1918

Debbie Zapata
Feb 20, 2016 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it
Shelves: saturday
I used to be part of an international penfriend group, exchanging letters with people all over the world. A friend in Ireland sent me this little book back in 1998, when it was published to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the Armistice. She knew I liked to read, and thought I would appreciate the poetry.

I am embarrassed to admit that except for one or two poems, I never read the book until now. I am more interested in both poetry and World War One these days, and I decided it was finally tim
Ian
Jul 20, 2012 Ian rated it it was ok
Shelves: war, dtb, poetry
I'm not a great fan of poetry and overall I could only rate this as OK, but there were some massive highlights which in general were the poems of Wilfred Owen. The stand outs were "Anthem for Doomed Youth" and "Dulce et Decorum est" (which is just gut wrenching in its vivid imagery of a mustard gas attack), plus "Greater Love" and "The Sentry". The collection also includes a lot of the work of Siegfried Sassoon. I must admit I found it very patchy, but I was moved immensely by "Suicide in the Tr ...more
Emily Ross
May 11, 2017 Emily Ross rated it really liked it
I purchased this book of poetry in the Flanders Field Museum Gift Shop on a school trip and I'm disappointed in myself that it took me over a decade to read this, because it is so hauntingly beautiful. It contains many famous poems of the Great War, such as In Flanders Field and In Memoriam and lesser known, but still beautiful poems.
Pippa
Jun 16, 2017 Pippa rated it really liked it
The highlights were those from Wilfried Owen and Sigfried Sassoon.
Lucas Zech
Aug 20, 2015 Lucas Zech rated it it was amazing
There is not much I can really say about this collection of poems, save for that it is numbingly beautiful and emotional and all-around great. Even if you are not a fan of poetry collections, or if you are not very familiar with the history behind WWI, or 'The Great War', as it came to be knwon, this book is a definite recommendation from me.

WWI was a period of not only the obvious terror of war, but this was a war of previously unknown suffering, of new pain, new fears. A war, that vibrates in
David
Aug 05, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Wilfred Owens, Robert Graves and Siegfried Sassoon enlisted at the outbreak of WW1 and served as junior officers on the Western Front throughout the war (Owens was killed a month before the armistice). Graves and Sassoon went on to write memoirs and semi-autobiographical novels about their experiences giving graphic accounts of the carnage, horrors and futility of it all. Their poems written during the war are even more powerful, each one a vignette about endless shells, snipers bullets and gas, ...more
Ben Gailey
May 12, 2012 Ben Gailey rated it it was amazing
A fabulous collection of poems from the Great War, for such a small little book this anthology is the opposite, a great entity. It casts a true, honest picture of what the War was really like on the front line, not what the people wanted to hear. Personally my favorite poet is Siegfried Sassoon, many of his classic and well known pieces of work in this book, however other famous names like Wilfred Owen and of course John Mcrae are also represented. As an enthusiast, I take great interest into Wo ...more
Jul 24, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
I'm usually one for poetry but really took to the war poems when I studied them during GCSE so when I saw this collection at the Imperial War Museum I thought I'd give them a read. I was not disappointed. These are an enlightening collection, the visual imagery is shocking, and really makes you understand the terrors that the men faced during trench warfare. A worthwhile addition to the book case!
Phillip Goodman
Feb 24, 2011 Phillip Goodman added it
Shelves: poetry, war
this is not the most worthy collection of 1st world war poetry, but it is a handy size, and the poems were apparently chosen at random, with the only criteria being that they have to be in english, so you will in all probability find some real gems in here, and discover some writers that you were not aware of.
Marc
Jun 05, 2013 Marc rated it it was ok
Shelves: world-war-1
Very random choice indeed and only British. Nevertheless I found about a dozen of poems that really bring you out of balance. Two of them excell: the evergreen In Flanders Fields of John Mc Crae and the unknown to me, horrible Dulce et decorum est, of Wilfred Owen.
John
Jul 31, 2014 John rated it liked it
A comprehensive introduction to First World War poetry, however, you feel that many of these are remembered for being 'war poems' rather than for being good poems. Still, a revealing look at the psychological shock of the realities of war on upper and upper middle class Englishmen.
Marie
Lovely collection. Heartbreaking, of course, so don't read it all in one sitting! The beauty is worth the sadness--just make sure you have a nice pot of tea on hand.
David Tendo
Aug 08, 2011 David Tendo rated it it was amazing
A small book, but what content! Poetry of stunning imagery or war and death. Beautiful and startling.
Lysergius
Oct 30, 2013 Lysergius rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Ah, what to say? The horrors and the exalted moments of the trench war are all here. An interesting selection of the poets of the first world war.
Moira McPartlin
Oct 01, 2013 Moira McPartlin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-challenge
Heartbreaking. How can so much beauty come from so much horror?
David Singerman
David Singerman rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2008
Sue
Sue rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2016
Markp
Markp rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Harper Rose
Harper Rose rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
Steph
Steph rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2009
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2008
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
Shana
Shana rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Ann Taylor
Ann Taylor rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
An
An rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Colin Mccormick
Colin Mccormick rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2009
Jack Wallace
Jack Wallace rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
Breanne Sharpe
Breanne Sharpe rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2013
Tony Hitchens
Tony Hitchens rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2012
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Edward Godfree Aldington was an English writer and poet. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_...
More about Richard Aldington...