Start by marking “Blue” as Want to Read:
Blue

Blue

Aquel cielo que se extendía sobre el denso mar, los uniformes del colegio, nuyestra exasperante torpeza infantil...
Creo que si todas aquellas cosas de entonces hubieran tenido un color, habría sido un azul muy profundo.
Paperback, Tankoubon, 232 pages
Published August 1st 2005 by Ponent Mon (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue

•KEE ᴛʜᴇ FREE •
FULL REVIEW NOW AVAILABLE

As enjoyable and exciting as I find shounen ai/yaoi no matter how ridiculous the lack of real character development or plot are just to make way of what I deem 'sexy times' between pretty boys, my views are a lot more critical when it comes to its counterpart, shoujo ai/yuri. I think it stems from the fact that I have been in relationships with women, both romantic and sexual. In fact, it was only two years ago that I came out as bisexual (and it's been grueling to even
Jocilyn
Dec 18, 2011 Jocilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Blue several times and it never ceases to amaze me. Although the content is quite similar to a great many other shoujo or yuri stories, it's actually written as josei and given a vividly stark deeply monotone art style. The characters and their emotions feel real, though they are drawn almost as silhouettes (ie. memories). I've never seen this particular style from any other writer and it's very awesome. Highly recommended.
lazycalm
It felt so real that it hurt...
[Btw, I kept thinking about Kimi no Yubisaki while reading Blue.]

Miss Akacia .
May 07, 2017 Miss Akacia . rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-mangas
Es la segunda vez que lo leo (la primera vez fue un intento más que otra cosa porque no llegue ni a la mitad) y no consigo que me guste. Tiene cosas que si me han gustado, y el dibujo aunque al principio me ponia muy nerviosa, al final he acabado mirandolo de otra forma. Aún con todo, no ha habido nada que realmente me impacte o vaya a dejar huella en mí. Se lee muy rápido y ha sido entretenido pero nada más (para mí). Gracias a mi queridísima Marina por dejarmelo otra vez, pero, aunque sé que a ...more
Ray
Jul 14, 2016 Ray rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Kiriko Nananan is mostly known for her short-form works. She has been a staple of the avant-garde Garo magazine since her debut in 1993, and affiliates herself with the La Nouvelle Manga avant-garde Franco-Belgian and Japanese comic movement. Blue, released in Japan in 1997 and in English by Fanfare/Ponent Mon in 2006, is her first long-form work to be released in English. It was also popular enough to be adapted into a live-action film, which I haven’t seen. Blue is a simple story of first love ...more
Josephine  the Rereader
Jan 24, 2017 Josephine the Rereader rated it really liked it
Pre-Review

In the past, I've read a couple "light" novels, a type of sparse novella that commuters in japan could theoretically read on their phones*. Specifically, I've read some of those that inspired the manga, anime and probably other stuff, called Strawberry Panic!. Which occupy a nebulous area of romantic fantasy about a barely physical relationship, a platonic, fiercely romantic friendship between (frequently) two highschool girls a year or two apart*. In hearts and minds they are a sort o
Ruth
Aug 22, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
In Blue, Nananan Kiriko, takes a simple story, pairs it with simple yet deep art, and leaves you with a manga that takes your breath away without you really understanding how she managed to do it. Perhaps it was the stark contrast between the brilliantly white paper and black images (no shades of gray here). Or maybe it the was the minimalistic narration--a few words here, a few words there.

Or maybe it was the story itself? Who cannot relate to finding a friendship that you do not want to end? T
Iraín
Feb 06, 2017 Iraín rated it it was ok
El dibujo me encantó, la historia bien llevaba pero me resultó indiferente. El problema soy yo, no la autora, estoy segura que hay gente que le encanta este tipo de historias sobre la amistad y el amor que puede llegar a crecer, historias sinceras de adolescentes que al terminar la secundaria deben escoger su camino. Lo de definir "obesión" por su nueva amiga, creo que es algo exagerado.
Sam
Aug 31, 2012 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book without knowing anything about it first. As a Japanophile I loved the setting and the minimalistic illustration style. The love story is sweet and poetic. However, I couldn't connect with it. I suppose I am too far removed from the characters to understand/relate. I enjoyed this book and really want to read it again, especially a version thats not electronic. The title is perfect.
Emilia P
Jun 28, 2015 Emilia P rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Errol: "Hey! That's about Niigata."
Emilia: "Ok, cool."
Errol: "What did it say about Niigata?"
Emilia: "Uh...there's a sea?"

Vague and romantic and just slightly in that manga-y way, which is not my favorite way, it all felt a bit silly and the stakes not all that high to me, but the style of the artwork was really sparse and lovely and poetic and did much more for the story than the narrative itself. Can't complain too much.
Lizzie
Nov 07, 2013 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blue, 漫画, yuri-lesbian
Absolutely heartbreaking and beautiful. I think what I like best about Blue is the understated sorrow in the art style. There are moments when no one says anything and the image is of a desk or a window, or someone's hands. It's not the words that convey sadness, it's the lack of words. It's the longing that exists in the silence.
Flo
Jun 09, 2008 Flo added it
homo story alert! i'm only 15 pages into it, but so far it's beautifully written and illustrated in a sparse, black and white style that is occasionally difficult to decipher but for the most part is simply lovely. Later report--it was like this all the way through.
Nicolás
Sep 16, 2009 Nicolás rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Cuando dices que lo mejor de un cómic o una película son sus imágenes o el diseño, es que algo no cuajó. "Blue" es una historia de amor perfectamente simple que lees en una hora. Sin embargo, no puedes dejar de recomendarla por la sencillez y la elegancia de los trazos de Nananan.
Hope Erin Phillips
Nov 02, 2015 Hope Erin Phillips rated it it was amazing
Fuck me up
La Fossoyeuse
Oct 08, 2015 La Fossoyeuse rated it really liked it
Un manga tout dans la finesse. Je l'ai lu il y a deux ans mais j'en garde un très beau souvenir avec son approche de l'homosexualité.
Rhockman
Apr 07, 2011 Rhockman rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fedriken y Micaela que son dos lesbianas
Recommended to Rhockman by: Fernando
Shelves: comics-leídos
Una larga y contemplativa historieta de una chica y sus sentimientos. Muy tierno.
Raquel
Raquel rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Ceejay Delantar
Ceejay Delantar rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
César
César rated it it was ok
May 10, 2013
Erin Subramanian
Erin Subramanian rated it really liked it
May 14, 2011
Jayce
Jayce rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Berna Labourdette
Berna Labourdette rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Leire
Leire rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
J.L. Flores
J.L. Flores rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Cassie Molina
Apr 14, 2017 Cassie Molina rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-read
The art is flawless like always, i couldnt fully get comfortable with the poetry in the midst of it all but overall it was good.
This lady knows how to write stories that sting
Andrea Imperdible
Andrea Imperdible rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2015
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Thyme Love
Thyme Love rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Restu Amalia
Restu Amalia rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2013
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Nine: Breaking Down Borders
  • My Mommy Is In America And She Met Buffalo Bill
  • Kashimashi Vol 1
  • No Longer Human, Vol.  2
  • Born to Be a Larve (Notes, #1)