The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)

The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When a series of prize animal killings begins with the slaughter of a valuable bull callled Rolling Thunder, Ute police sergeant Charlie Moon and his colleague, Scott Paris, investigate and discover a related human murder. By the author of The Shaman Sings.
Published December 1st 1995 by St Martins Pr (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Shaman Laughs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaman Laughs

A Thief of Time by Tony HillermanSkinwalkers by Tony HillermanThe Blessing Way by Tony HillermanDance Hall of the Dead by Tony HillermanTalking God by Tony Hillerman
Native American Detectives
21st out of 62 books — 53 voters
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman AlexieLove Medicine by Louise ErdrichBeyond the World of Man by Sheryl SealReservation Blues by Sherman Alexie
Native American Fiction
120th out of 459 books — 419 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
For the genre it's fine but I guess I don't love these light mysteries. The descriptions of the people, area, etc were spot on (I lived in the SW and thought the author did an excellent job with the physical locations, attitude, and setting). But the killer was made to be so much more and then the final reveal was just so-so. Nice light read though.
Diana
I enjoy mysteries of the southwest, especially those about the 4 corners area.
The book begins with an Indian rancher discovering his prize bull has been killed and mutilated.
Main character, Charlie Moon....a Ute policeman, is called to investigate. Charlie's boss is out of town and nearby sheriff Scott Parris is filling in for him. At this time, a new FBI man from
Durango comes into the cafe and the two policemen have some fun with the FBI man, Hoover....no relation to the famous J.Edgar Hoover...more
Donna
I am excited to discover this series. The characters are quirky and the landscape is beautiful. The story kept me guessing. I can picture the high desert and the beautiful sunsets and fast moving high energy storms. I look forward to many enjoyable times with Charlie Moon!
Melissa
Jul 07, 2008 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: summer readers.
When I selected this book, I thought it would be a fun mystical kind of mystery with a few Native American facts. After reading the book, I can say I appreciated the mystery part, but was left a little disappointed on the fact finding part. It's just that the book jacket led me to believe that the author was a subject matter expert on Native Americans, and since all the books he's written have been in the same vein, I thought I was bound to learn a thing or two. Kind of like the Davinci Code, ri...more
Denise
This is the second book in the Charlie Moon series with a setting in the Ute Indian Nation. I liked this book slightly better than the first book in the series (The Shaman Sings). I think Doss almost puts too much into the story until it gets confusing and jumbled. However, I'm not discouraged by the series and will continue reading it.
Nigel
I really enjoyed this one. l'd read the first in this series and been a little disappointed based on the reviews I'd read. this one was much better for me with a lovely native American dimension as well as being a good crime story. The characters are strong and interesting with the two main lawmen making a great pair. humour and eerie sequences that made me laugh and shiver - I'll be reading more of these.
Teresa
I believe this is the second book of this series. The regular characters are interesting and likable. The evil characters are very evil. It can be compared to Tony Hillerman because it takes place on a western indian reservation, and treats the ancient customs with respect. Hillerman, however, cannot be replaced.
Tessa Eger
3.5 I continue to enjoy this author, but the shaman activities bothered me more this time. As a Christian, I am uncomfortable with the presentation of these. There was some acknowledgement of Jesus and Christianity, but it is pretty synchretistic. Dangerous stuff, imho.
Peggy
I really enjoy the dry humor in the book. The book was a little hard to get started because Doss was so anxious to set the stage right. It madfe it hard to follow but once he finally got going the story was fun to read.
Barbra
This author writes using a lot of indian mystisim within his stories. I really enjoyed this story, but I must confess I miss Tony Hillerman and his wonderful stories.
Douglas
I enjoyed this book and have found another southwest mystery writer. Looking forward to read other Charly Moon mysteries.
Fredrick Danysh
Prized livestock is being ritualistically being killed on the reservation. Charlie Moon investigates this evil.
Leigh
The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon Mysteries) by James D. Doss (2008)
Kevin Stevens
nice new series in the Tony Hillerman vein
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 04, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
utterly ridiculous
Lynn
Lynn is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Patt
Patt marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Josh Layden
Josh Layden marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Eloise Hollyfield
Eloise Hollyfield marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Jvtr13
Jvtr13 marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Mansfield Public ...: the Shaman Laughs 1 3 Aug 08, 2014 06:22AM
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • Cry Dance
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
James Daniel Doss, recently retired from the technical staff of Los Alamos National Laboratory, now spends most of his time in a small cabin above Taos -- writing mystery fiction. He also travels to the fascinating locations where his stories take place, often camping in remote areas to absorb the impression of an Anasazi ruin, a deep canyon, an arid mesa, or a Sun Dance.

More about James D. Doss...
The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1) The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3) Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6) The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9) White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)