Eamon de Valera: The man who was Ireland

Eamon de Valera: The man who was Ireland

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  9 reviews

In this landmark biography, Irish journalist and historian Tim Pat Coogan explores the remarkable legacy of one of Ireland's most influential political figures-Eamon de Valera. With eloquence, wit, and exacting documentation, Coogan exposes the full spectrum of de Valera's rise and ultimate dominance in Irish politics, and the lasting results of his rule.

Eamon de Valera: T

Published June 3rd 1999 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1993)

Elizabeth
De Valera is not my favorite but since Coogan wrote the book I gave it 4 stars! Great biography but I am not a fan of the main character!
Jim Gallen
“Eamon DeValera: The Man Who Was Ireland” tells the story of the “The Tall Fellow” whose shadow covered nearly a century of Irish history. Slated for execution during the Easter Uprising of 1916, Dev was saved, possibly by his American birth, to become a leader of the opposition to the treaty that portioned Ireland and gave the southern 26 counties their independence. A rebel during the Civil War, DaVelera returned to parliament where he would always be a leader and often Taoiseach (Prime Minist...more
Paul Long
If you want an exhaustive, detailed, at times overwhelming history of Eamon de Valera and his times, this is the book to come to.

It’s not for the faint of heart. It’s more than 700 pages, with a deep index and bibliography. If you’re unfamiliar with Irish history, it’s not a book you should start with. It took me two years, on and off, to read.

But it did deepen my knowledge of recent Irish history. It's not for the faint of heart or the easily discouraged, but it will add to your understanding o...more
Mickyt160
I really enjoyed this book because it spans across Ireland's recent history and gives insights through the eyes of a complex significant man.
I would not say great. But I respect and tip my hat to anyone who kisses his wife good bye leaving home expecting to die for his country.
Bill Manzi
"A great bio of the truly flawed but still monumental Irish figure Eamon De Valera. Coogan comes down on the Collins side of the equation, but the book is a must read, even for those who may have a different view."
Dirk
It's clear that Coogan warms to the subject of all things Irish. This is an admirably research, well written and thoughtful work, a thoroughly engaging read.
Debra
Sep 22, 2011 Debra is currently reading it
Interesting but long, hence I've not finished it yet.
Chrissie
Makes a weak man look good.
Mary-catherine Croshaw
Mary-catherine Croshaw marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Tim Cahalan
Tim Cahalan marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Shaggy
Shaggy added it
May 05, 2014
Barry
Barry added it
Apr 22, 2014
Martin Treacy
Martin Treacy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Rhiannon Sampson
Rhiannon Sampson marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Thomas Ruddy
Thomas Ruddy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Timothy Patrick Coogan is an Irish historical writer, broadcaster and newspaper columnist. He served as editor of the Irish Press newspaper from 1968 to 1987. Today, he is best known for his popular and sometimes controversial books on aspects of modern Irish history, including The IRA, Ireland Since the Rising, On the Blanket, and biographies of Michael Collins and Éamon de Valera.
More about Tim Pat Coogan...
Michael Collins: The Man Who Made Ireland The IRA The Troubles: Ireland's Ordeal 1966-1996 and the Search for Peace 1916: The Easter Rising On the Blanket: The Inside Story of the IRA Prisoners' "Dirty" Protest