Start by marking “Esclava de amor” as Want to Read:
Esclava de amor

Esclava de amor

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,740 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Where are all the real men? she wondered...

For Lady Diana Davenport, they existed only in her books and dreams. There she could lose herself, becoming the licentious Diana, goddess of the hunt--far from the rigid restraints of eighteenth-century London, where she was courted by fops and fools. That is, until she tried on an authentic Roman helmet in an antiques store and w
Paperback
Published by Ediciones B (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Esclava de amor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Esclava de amor

Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

Virginia Henley is one of those authors who shows up on a lot of "best of" historical romance lists, but I'd never actually read any of her work. When the e-book version of ENSLAVED went on sale for $1.99 a few weeks ago, it seemed like it was meant to be. I'm pretty well known for my reviews of historical ro
Lady Raven RAVE!
Story: GOOD
Intimacy Level: GOOD
Enjoyment: VERY GOOD
Length: 450 pages
Style: Time Travel/ Historical / Roman

Revised :11/25/2012 Re Read: 11/25/2012

This was an unique read for me as it was a historial taking place within historical period. Re reading this book, the movie 300 / Spartacus comes to mind. I love that it was in a Roman/Greek time travel, why, because the slave concept made the story more appealing for that time period of Ancient Rome as they were very sexual beings and the garments were
Casey Gonzalez
Loved it! The Hero is so hot and the setting of ancient Rome if so different than the usual Regency romance
Slavena
Lady Diana Devenport has had a hard time coping with her aunt and uncle who are these nasty scheming individuals greedy for her money. She wants freedom and adventure. While in Bath she puts an ancient roman helmet and is transported in time to 61AD where she becomes the slave of Marcus Magnus – a roman general. I don’t know much about Bath other then the Romans build some nice bathing facilities there which our hero/heroine used on a daily basis and multiple times a day contrary to any other pe ...more
Mitzi
I read the reviews on this book, and can't believe how many readers didn't like it. I thought it was a great book. It's a TT story. Lady Diana loves history. While shopping she puts on an old helmet and is transported back in time to the Roman days. She is taken captive, made a slave by Marcus Magnus,and they fall in love. She and Marcus are betrayed in the past...and when she comes back to her real time....she is being cared for by none other than MM's many times great grandson. When she tells ...more
Yuzai
The hero (Marcus Magnus), reminds me of Gerard Butler's character in 300, w/ all those 'Roman Soldiers' and everything
Photobucket
AH! AH! AH! HOTNESS TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL!!!!
P
May 29, 2014 P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Carrie Olguin
I'm not even certain what to say about this story. It's a mix of story concepts like Outlander (Time Travel), reincarnation and Wizard of Oz.

The story begins in Georgian England with a seventeen year old heiress preparing for her her come out season. Her greedy guardians try to trick her into marrying the man of their choice (a good looking but evil man) so they can split her inheritance before she reaches the legal age of eighteen.

(Confused I am! Back then, legal age for a male was twenty one
Gwen
Nov 04, 2013 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-vo
J'ai adoré ce roman !
Comme toujours je ne suis pas déçue avec Virginia Henley !
J'ai beaucoup ce Time Travel, j'ai trouvé que la manière dont il était fait cohérent.
L'héroine (Diana) est un personnage fort, elle ne laisse pas désespérée car elle n'est plus dans son siècle et fait en sorte de s'adapter.
Et à sa manière fait en sorte que sa relation avec Marcus Magnus marche malgré leurs différences.
Le héros (Marcus Magnus / Mark Hardwick) sait ce qu'il veut ! Diana en l’occurrence et ce quelque so
Varied Books
Jan 29, 2017 Varied Books marked it as undecided-maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
12/28/17 on sale for $1.99.
Allure Van Sanz
May 23, 2009 Allure Van Sanz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I always claim as my ultimate favorite when asked "What is your favorite romance novel?"

Hands down this book is singularly responsible for many of my complex dreams.
Jen
Feb 11, 2017 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Ryan
Redonk Nutshell: Woman is transported back in time to Roman-occupied Britain where she gets lessons in ancient history and passion

I've recently been on a time-traveling kick. I found myself searching GoodReads for romance books that featured a time-traveling hero or heroine and I came across Enslaved by Virginia Henley. I've not yet read anything by her, though I've come across her name several times in my travels through romance-land.

Lady Diana Davenport lives in 18th century London and is on
Pam Beran
Aug 23, 2013 Pam Beran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like historical romance you will love this. When a book makes me tear up or become anxious and sit up - that's a GOOD book!!!!
Like historical and time travel - don't miss this one. Oh and it didn't hurt that the hero, a Roman, had me envisioning Gerard Butler , ya know 300ish :)
Adeline Jenkins
I couldn't put this one down...finished it in 2 days. I love her historical writing that include spices of fiction.
Shannon
Jun 25, 2009 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-lesbian
One of my favorite books ever.
Sussann
It was stupid. No attempt to adhere to the historical setting at all. I gave up when a side character was surprised by the idea that the heroine was a virgin after just meeting her, at her come out ball at Almacks. Seriously? Just... ugh. Save me from crappy writing and stupid inconsistencies.
Mimamo
Jun 16, 2016 Mimamo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
17.44 16/06/2016
อานไปสิบหนาปวดหัวกับคสพแบบนีจริงๆ
จำไดวาเคยหาซัมธิงวันเดอรฟูลฉบับอิงมาอานได อานไปแคฉากบรรยายคสมในบานพระเอกและหยุดเลย ปวดหัว

วาแตยุคจอรเจียน ? ยุคไหนหวา
มีคนบอกวาเรืองนีถึงขันขาดตลาด จนมีการประมูลแบบแพงๆ แต แต แต ทีทำใหอยากอานกเพราะสนพ.บอกเวอรชันนีไมมีการตัดแตอยางใด โฮะๆ

ไมแนใจวาจะรอดมัยนะ หลังจากอานสปอยดไปเมือตะกี

01.36 17/06/2016
(view spoiler)
อายุแคสิบเจดจริงหรอ? มันกตลกดีตอนทีพระนางตอ
Theresa
Dec 14, 2012 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea what I'm reading.

The first four chapters are asinine and Diana doesn't even seem to break 100 on the IQ scale of intelligence.
So far, up to Chapter 7: Diana is still annoying and now she is back in time. Someone gauge out my eyes. I don't have it in me to continue reading..
So far, up to Chapter 24: the storyline got better and Diana is slightly more tolerable. However, the author is writing as if Diana's "real" time line is present day 21st century, even though it's only 1700-1800
Mar 18, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
This book was delightfully shocking and rather scandalous for the time period. The story line was well thought out and delivered, and while one might want to skip ahead and see the ending its best that you don't or you will miss out and spoil the book. Aside from the story line I was rather intrigued to find out that back in that era of England the gentlemen powdered there faces and wore rouge and lip color. I had known that the gentlemen of that time used fans but the rest was a shock. If you a ...more
Srisurang
May 11, 2010 Srisurang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
เรืองนีฉบับแปลคือเรือง โรมันรัญจวน ไดยินเขาบอกกันวาสนุกมาก แตหมดไปนานแลว หาชือเรืองเจอกเลยไปซือ e book มาอานคะ ปรากฏวา ชอบพอสมควร แตกไมมากขนาดทีคาดหวัง คิดวาถาอานเมือสิบปีทีแลวคงจะชอบมาก เพราะมันมีโครงเรืองบางอยางทีเคยเปนทีนิยม แตตอนนีไมคอยนิยมกันแลว

(ตรงนีขอสปอยลนิด...........)
เชน นางเอกตองพรากจากพระเอกไปสักระยะ หรือเดินเขาหาอันตรายทังๆ ทีรู ทำใหมีหงุดหงิดบางเลกๆ กับความทีนางเอกชางใสซือไมเฉลียวใจในบางตอน
(จบสปอยล)

แตความรักของพระเอกนางเอกกชัดเจนมันคงดีคะ
Petra
Jan 16, 2014 Petra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is well written. The middle part of the book which is when Diana is brought to the Roman era is very rich. Some people may like it if they're fascinated by this period. I myself find it cruel and disgusting and I think this part of the book is dragging. I like the plot and time-traveling theme, but the Roman things are just not my taste. I like it better when Diana is bought back to her time. However, when she's back, the plot is predictable. Overall, I give it a three. It's a good sto ...more
Sara
This is the first romance novel I ever read. I remembered really enjoying it and so, when I happened to come across it again for sale on the Nook, I decided to read it again. And I really enjoyed it the second time. It's well written, the sex scenes aren't too ridiculous (as can happen sometimes), and the plot is entertaining. It was a fun, relaxing read, which is the entire point of romance novels. Now I'm going to see if I can find some of Virginia Henley's other books on sale.
Dominique
Feb 21, 2014 Dominique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-it
Where to start...First off don't let the synopsis fool you. I was reluctant to read Enslaved at first. I was like there no way I want to read a time traveling book boring. Huh no it was the exact opposite. From the start I was captivated. Diana is a wonderful character and props to her for standing up for who she is and wants she wants. The best thing about Enslaved to me was being able to read to stories but having them both being connected. I only wished the book could have been longer.
Alex
Compared to other books by this auhor...this one is pretty tamed, which is ironic for its title. But I think this is the sweetest one out of all them, which I like.

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Sylvia
Sep 13, 2014 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2014, erotica
Esclava de amor es una historia que muchos, al leer la reseña, piensen qué onda con la escritora, pero ya al momento de estar leyendo el libro, la historia te atrapa.
Lo que más me ha gustó fué lo que quiere transmitir, o al menos es lo que a mi me transmitió, que el amor puede perdurar a través de los siglos, que es más fuerte que todo y que todos.
Aunque de repente me sacaba de onda con el comportamiento de los protagonistas, debo de reconocer que me gustó el carácter de ambos.
Country Goose
Nov 16, 2012 Country Goose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I have read from Virginia Henley, and I must say that Virginia's imagination runs wild! There are so many conflicts, with two different love stories that intertwine into one. I love how Virginia was able to end all conflicts presented, and the evil received his "just deserts". :)
Amanda
Mar 07, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave it only a three simply because it got annoying towards the end. The beginning annoyed me a bit and the end really annoyed me, but the middle was enjoyable. I love Marcus Magnus. Diana, I liked alright, but towards the end I kept thinking, "You idiot!" because she would yet again be too trusting and make poor choices.
Rosetta Conti
May 23, 2015 Rosetta Conti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ridiculous story, the heroine was too young and with no life experience suddenly becomes an expert in men, seduction & life?! give me a break! plot line was too far fetched couldn't lose myself to just go with it. to say nothing about the dialog! good lord, it read like a melodramatic miniseires from the80s. who speaks like this?! took me almost 3wks to finish... definite sign of a so so story.
Liz Clappin
Dec 06, 2016 Liz Clappin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like most of Henley's books this one is heavy on sex, but she frames it in a very interesting way. The dual, but parallel narratives are well researched and fun, though the melodrama runs deep. It's a great departure from run of the mill historical romance even if it is a fundamentally ridiculous concept.
  • Timeless Passion
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Circles in Time
  • When There is Hope
  • The Conqueror (deWarenne Dynasty, #1)
  • The Reluctant Viking (Viking I, #1)
  • Secret Fire
  • The More I See You (de Piaget, #7; de Piaget/MacLeod, #6)
  • Once a Pirate
  • The Dragon Lord
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (North American Woman Trilogy, #2)
  • Wings of the Storm
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Brandon-Morgan #6)
  • The Spanish Rose
  • This Heart of Mine (O'Malley Saga, #4)
  • My Timeswept Heart (Blackwells, #1)
  • Touch of Enchantment (Lennox Family Magic, #2)
  • The Silver Devil
Virginia Syddall was born on December 5, 1935 in England, where her father, Thomas Syddall, taught her to love history. She obtained a degree in History in the University. In 1956, Virginia married Arthur Henley. They moved to America, and now they live most of the year in St. Petersburg, Florida, and they spend the hot summers in Ontario, Canada, where they have their two adult children and three ...more
More about Virginia Henley...

“With horror he saw that her hair was already afire as the tarred stake burned about her head. He held her agonized gaze with his fierce black eyes. "I'll love you forever, and beyond," he vowed as he raised both arms and plunged his sword into her heart.

~Marcus Magnus”