Start by marking “Enemy Within (Butch Karp, #13)” as Want to Read:
Enemy Within (Butch Karp, #13)

Enemy Within (Butch Karp #13)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  470 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi, the most interesting pair of characters in the suspense genre (Chicago Tribune), take on a trio of deadly and politically dicey cases in a new page-turner from top critics' favorite and bestselling author Tanenbaum.
Published July 31st 2001 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Enemy Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemy Within

Jon
Aug 31, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently I haven't read one of these in two years, and I had forgotten how good they are. This is the third from last of the Butch Karp--Marlene Ciampi series ghostwritten by Michael Gruber, one of my favorite authors. You can get a list of the whole series (15 books) on Gruber's Wikipedia page, and I would recommend starting with the second one (he hadn't really figured out the characters or the tone in the first) and reading them in order. Unlike most series, the main characters in this one ...more
Ed
Jan 31, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#13 in the NYC ADA Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi series. 13th of 15 series entries ghostwritten by Michael Gruber before author Tanenbaum started writing his own books, 12 in the series through 2015.

NYC ADA Butch Karp and Marlene Ciampi series - Opening with two shooting cases Karp suspects are being rammed through "the system" for purposes of political expediency (it being an election year for the DA), the bedraggled-but-upstanding Karp finds himself in a dire situation involving allegations of
P
Feb 06, 2014 P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, here's a lawyer who hates police. Makes me wonder about his real life court cases. The story was a little far fetched for me - a teenager permitted to wander New York amid the worst parts of the city; her mother who is an alcoholic and spend thrift but who can stop both by herself; the father/dad who is so tied up fighting dragons that he can ignore the chaotic family events for the good of the DA's office? Here's another case of requiring a 6th star to fit in between 'I didn't like it' and ...more
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Butch Karp mystery, but not one of Tanenbaum’s best. This one has Butch battling political machinations in the DA’s office while Marlene sells her private security firm and launches an IPO that makes her a millionaire. Meanwhile, their daughter Lucy, now 17 years old, occupies her time “doing good works” among the slums and sewers (literally) of NYC. Beyond belief at times, but an OK read.
Kathy kennedy
I think this is the 13th in the series. Story relies on information developed in prior novels. I will go back and read some of the earlier ones. This plot involved politics inside the DA's office of NYC with an election upcoming. Issues include cops and racial tensions. Subplot involving the daughter was a bit of a stretch, but it was an enjoyable story.
Carolyn
Nov 04, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine story with Butch, Marlene & Co. (#13), although not quite up to the usual standard because there were a couple of things I found hard to believe: (1) Marlene falls into alcoholism, which seems to me out of character; and (2) At the beginning Lucy knows about three dozen languages, and in the process of this novel she learns German and Russian. I'm wondering what languages (other than French, Vietnamese, Mandarin and Cantonese, for situational reasons I knew about) she chose to p ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Chief assistant District Attorney Butch Karp has a load of problems on his plate. It is an election year and his wife becomes independently wealthy through her stock sales of an internet company. A black man is shot in the back by a poster child policeman. And a young man with limited intellectual capacity faces the death penalty.
Dick Pilskog
I hardly remember this book. But there are multiple mysteries that all get solved and there is one reason I think. Just another book to pass the time. Kind of makes you mad that there is graft in high places.
Mailmanr5
Pretty good. As usual the Karp family members each have their own adventures going which in this case dovetail together in the end.
Dorothy Clark
May 31, 2016 Dorothy Clark rated it liked it
Most of this book was good, but Marlene's binge seemed out of character and Lucy was a lost soul.
Judy
Apr 29, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The old favorites are back for another round. Lucy questions her piety and her purpose in life as well as having a crush. Marlene gets rich, goes on a serious bender and threatens her employer. Tran has a weakness beyond caring too much for Lucy. Butch tries out life Marlene-style and finds that slippery slope isn't for him. We find out Father Dugan has an adventurous side and Sweetie proves to be more mortal than Stephanie Plum's hamster Rex. A great read but you probably need to have read some ...more
Sarah Jowett
Apr 19, 2016 Sarah Jowett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldnt get into it......
Marti
Aug 24, 2011 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This began in rather a ragged way, taking its time before getting to Butch Karp or any of his family, otherwise I would have given it five stars. These characters are like old friends, and it is great to read more about them--even Marlene unable to handle sudden wealth. Butch is less than the perfect DA, showing some chinks in the armor. Lucy and Tran get together and we find out a weakness in his background as well. Great crimefighting--always a terrific story.
Albert
Feb 25, 2014 Albert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
classic Karp story
Bnschmid
Apr 24, 2008 Bnschmid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of the Butch Carp books,and enjoyed them all.His wife is the one who kicks ass though!If someone fucks with her family,she just has her Vietnamese mobster buddy wipe them off the face of the planet!Or she does it herself.Good reading.
Linda
Jul 14, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the third book I've read from Robert Tanenbaum, all with the same characters - Butch Karp, Marlene Ciampi and the most interesting of all, daughter Lucy. I'm excited to see there are 14 more! Glad I've got a library card.
D.K.
Sep 19, 2012 D.K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story, but I had a hard time behind the circumstances of the wife becoming an alcoholic. It made for good drama, but it seemed far fetched to me. Other than that, I really enjoyed the story.
Dennis
Feb 10, 2010 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all his books to many characters that go in and out of the story. Parts of the book were good when I wasn't trying to recall a character.
Vicki Papworth
No. 13 of Butch & Marlene
Ellen
Feb 27, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read. Lots of twists!
Al Canary
Apr 20, 2011 Al Canary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read...
Denise R
Denise R rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Camilla Jackson
Camilla Jackson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Jacque
Jacque added it
Aug 20, 2016
Clifford
Clifford rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Paul D. Herbert
Paul D. Herbert rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Sharon
Sharon is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2016
Barry Leon
Barry Leon rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
  • Criminal Justice
  • Mosaic
  • The Judgment
  • Dark Justice (Ben Kincaid, #8)
  • Inadmissible Evidence
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • Show No Fear (Nina Reilly, #12)
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)
  • Derailed
  • Blind Waves
  • A Killing Rain (Louis Kincaid, #6)
  • The Testament
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als ...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...

Butch Karp (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Immoral Certainty (Butch Karp, #3)
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)
  • Corruption of Blood (Butch Karp, #6)
  • Justice Denied (Butch Karp, #7)
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)