Start by marking “Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930” as Want to Read:
Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930

Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This book will be of interest to anyone professionally or educationally involved in costume history as it includes many detailed drawings and studies of dresses and accessories based on research from private collections.
Published September 1st 1997 by Costume & Fashion Press/Quite Specific Media (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Costume in Detail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Costume in Detail

100 Dresses by Harold KodaUnderwear by Eleri LynnHigh Style by Jan ReederTextiles and Clothing  by Elisabeth CrowfootQueen of Fashion by Caroline Weber
The Meaning of Clothing
8th out of 95 books — 20 voters
Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail by Lucy JohnstonThe Tudor Tailor by Jane Malcom - DaviesPatterns of Fashion 1 Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construc... by Janet ArnoldPatterns of Fashion 2 Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construc... by Janet Arnold100 Dresses by Harold Koda
Historical Fashion Books
92nd out of 126 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Alessandra
Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930, by Nancy Bradfield, is a unique, detailed, highly useful collection of drawings of historic clothing, almost entirely women's, drawn from specimens in British collections.

These dresses are often too fragile to exhibit, or even photograph clearly, but Ms. Bradfield has closely, carefully studied them in person and has produced excellent, clear drawings of them, inside and out, showing details of construction and pattern, as well as supplemental material
Margie
Mar 03, 2008 Margie rated it really liked it
Shelves: costume-period
Beautiful line drawings of gowns, with an extraordinary level of attention to detail. Detailed drawings show placements and lengths of seams.

The handwriting is a bit difficult to read, but I highly recommend the book.
Velvetink
I have the hardcover edition.
Jennifer Payne
Feb 05, 2009 Jennifer Payne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dressmakers, costume enthusiasts
Recommended to Jennifer Payne by: found it on the library shelf
This book captured my imagination when I was in elementary school and was a strong influence in my interest in costume and clothing history. My only wish is that I could better interpret Bradfield's drawings into actual clothing design; several artisans have been able to recreate these exquisite dresses in real life. What talent. For the rest of us mere mortals, we must be satisfied drinking in the details of dress linings, ribbon trim, and the often poignant histories associated with the origin ...more
Libby Koponen
Sep 14, 2009 Libby Koponen is currently reading it
Shows exactly what clothes -- including underclothes -- characters in Jane Austen wore, with charming, detailed line drawings and notes. There is very little text.

It's true that I bought this book to research a novel, but it's more fun than many books I bought just to read. And the drawing are so detailed that good sewers could even make the clothes -- I'd love to celebrate the sale of my novel by giving a ball and wearing a dress from it!
Rachel
Fascinating collection; it's interesting to follow the fashions through history. Full of delightful sketches and descriptions of period pieces of clothing and accessories. I read the section pertaining to the era that I re-enact (1730-1800). I might come back to the rest sometime, but for now that's enough. :)
Saleris
Nice book. Very nice book. The drawings are consistent in style. I like dressmaking/tailoring and this will come in use when looking at commercial "vintage" patterns to see if it's "in the style of". I also like it to see couture work as seen by someone else.
Simone Vd stadt beaney
Aug 21, 2013 Simone Vd stadt beaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kostuums
Great detail in this book and it's great to see what is hidden underneath the elaborate dress of that age. Also comes with information on what types if fabric and colour were used. Great reference book.
Lise
Aug 26, 2012 Lise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference-books
Absolutely fantastic for references of era clothing and small details.
Kat
May 20, 2009 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: research, illustrated
Oh, if it only had patterns too!
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Gwendolyn Basala
Gwendolyn Basala rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Meltha
Meltha marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Zoe Mai
Zoe Mai marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Randy
Randy rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Fatih Yılmaz
Fatih Yılmaz marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Marie-France Dumont
Marie-France Dumont marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
MARIA
MARIA rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Kelsie
Kelsie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Lani
Lani marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Molly G
Molly G marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
the-gentle-reader
the-gentle-reader marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Mary Ann Hadley
Mary Ann Hadley rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Kay Jackman
Kay Jackman rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Andrew Schroeder
Andrew Schroeder rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Costume Close-Up: Clothing Construction and Pattern, 1750-1790
  • Patterns of Fashion 1 Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construction C. 1660-1860
  • Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Corsets and Crinolines
  • The History of Underclothes
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898
  • Hollywood and History - Costume Design in Film
  • The Medieval Tailor's Assistant: Making Common Garments 1200-1500
  • Forties Fashion: From Siren Suits to the New Look
  • The Costume Technician's Handbook: A Complete Guide for Amateur and Professional
  • Fashioning Fashion: European Dress in Detail 1700-1915
  • The Victorian Tailor: Techniques and Patterns for Making Historically Accurate Period Clothes for Gentlemen
  • Underwear: Fashion in Detail