Start by marking “Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930” as Want to Read:
Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930

Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This book will be of interest to anyone professionally or educationally involved in costume history as it includes many detailed drawings and studies of dresses and accessories based on research from private collections.
Published September 1st 1997 by Costume & Fashion Press/Quite Specific Media (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Costume in Detail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Costume in Detail

100 Dresses by Harold KodaUnderwear by Eleri LynnHigh Style by Jan ReederTextiles and Clothing  by Elisabeth CrowfootQueen of Fashion by Caroline Weber
The Meaning of Clothing
8th out of 95 books — 20 voters
Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail by Lucy JohnstonThe Tudor Tailor by Jane Malcom - DaviesPatterns of Fashion 1 Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construc... by Janet ArnoldPatterns of Fashion 2 Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construc... by Janet Arnold100 Dresses by Harold Koda
Historical Fashion Books
91st out of 125 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Alessandra
Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930, by Nancy Bradfield, is a unique, detailed, highly useful collection of drawings of historic clothing, almost entirely women's, drawn from specimens in British collections.

These dresses are often too fragile to exhibit, or even photograph clearly, but Ms. Bradfield has closely, carefully studied them in person and has produced excellent, clear drawings of them, inside and out, showing details of construction and pattern, as well as supplemental material
Margie
Mar 03, 2008 Margie rated it really liked it
Shelves: costume-period
Beautiful line drawings of gowns, with an extraordinary level of attention to detail. Detailed drawings show placements and lengths of seams.

The handwriting is a bit difficult to read, but I highly recommend the book.
Velvetink
I have the hardcover edition.
Jennifer Payne
Feb 05, 2009 Jennifer Payne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dressmakers, costume enthusiasts
Recommended to Jennifer Payne by: found it on the library shelf
This book captured my imagination when I was in elementary school and was a strong influence in my interest in costume and clothing history. My only wish is that I could better interpret Bradfield's drawings into actual clothing design; several artisans have been able to recreate these exquisite dresses in real life. What talent. For the rest of us mere mortals, we must be satisfied drinking in the details of dress linings, ribbon trim, and the often poignant histories associated with the origin ...more
Libby Koponen
Sep 14, 2009 Libby Koponen is currently reading it
Shows exactly what clothes -- including underclothes -- characters in Jane Austen wore, with charming, detailed line drawings and notes. There is very little text.

It's true that I bought this book to research a novel, but it's more fun than many books I bought just to read. And the drawing are so detailed that good sewers could even make the clothes -- I'd love to celebrate the sale of my novel by giving a ball and wearing a dress from it!
Rachel
Fascinating collection; it's interesting to follow the fashions through history. Full of delightful sketches and descriptions of period pieces of clothing and accessories. I read the section pertaining to the era that I re-enact (1730-1800). I might come back to the rest sometime, but for now that's enough. :)
Saleris
Nice book. Very nice book. The drawings are consistent in style. I like dressmaking/tailoring and this will come in use when looking at commercial "vintage" patterns to see if it's "in the style of". I also like it to see couture work as seen by someone else.
Simone Vd stadt beaney
Aug 21, 2013 Simone Vd stadt beaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kostuums
Great detail in this book and it's great to see what is hidden underneath the elaborate dress of that age. Also comes with information on what types if fabric and colour were used. Great reference book.
Lise
Aug 26, 2012 Lise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference-books
Absolutely fantastic for references of era clothing and small details.
Kat
May 20, 2009 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: research, illustrated
Oh, if it only had patterns too!
Anna
Shea
Shea added it
Jan 23, 2016
Abigail Bok
Abigail Bok marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Angelica Wong Diffa
Angelica Wong Diffa rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Dale Lyles
Dale Lyles rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Margot
Margot added it
Dec 07, 2015
Imogen
Imogen marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Sierra D.
Sierra D. marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Minksii
Minksii marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Reese
Reese marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Royalcactus
Royalcactus marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Linus
Linus marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Sarah Dvojack
Sarah Dvojack rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015