Start by marking “X-Men: Endangered Species” as Want to Read:
X-Men: Endangered Species

X-Men: Endangered Species (X-Men, Volume II #39)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  2,002 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
"No more mutants."

They say words can never hurt you. But they never met Wanda Maximoff. At the height of her madness during the crisis known as M Day, the Scarlet Witch uttered those three little words that obliterated nearly the entire species of mutants, consigning them to the dustbin of Darwin's evolution.

Following in the wake of Decimation, and setting up the final sho
Published February 13th 2008 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Nicolo Yu
Henry McCoy, aptly named the Beast by his cohorts in the X-Men and whose feline appearance belie his genius intellect, has the mission of his lifetime. The mutant race is on the verge of extinction, their numbers once numbered in the millions and was on the verge to supplant plain vanilla homo sapiens in a few generations suddenly find their numbers reduced by 99 percent. The mutant gene simply disappeared and along with it mutant births, mutant would cease to exist in two generations. In order ...more
Sesana
Aug 25, 2014 Sesana rated it it was ok
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I have to acknowledge up front that this has two things working against it. For one, these stories were originally published as short backups. That leads to a lot of exposition panels, more than there would be otherwise. The other, and far more important, obstacle to the reader is that we all know before we read the first page that Beast's quest is doomed to fail.

Obviously, something this big was not going to be undone in a backup story. So instead of anything satisfying, we get a lot of Beast c
Erik
Dec 26, 2008 Erik rated it it was ok
Not unlike the most recent mega mutant crossover Messiah Complex, this collection of mini-chapters from the myriad X-Men titles follows up on the House of M story-line by following Hank McCoy – better known as the adorably smart and blue-fuzzed Beast – as he seeks to find a cure for an increasingly endangered homo superior.

Although it does serve as a nice coda for the House of M, I’m not entirely convinced that this is worth being a stand-alone volume. You’ll notice right away that each chapter
Relstuart
Aug 22, 2015 Relstuart rated it liked it
Shelves: super-hero, x-men
The Beast tries to come up with a way to reverse The Scarlet Witch's No More Mutants declaration. Lots more talking and philosophy vs action in this one.
Sam Quixote
Sep 13, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was ok
In “House of M”, Wanda Maximoff aka Scarlet Witch (Magneto’s unhinged daughter) uttered a spell so powerful - “No More Mutants” - that it nearly obliterated all mutants on Earth, reducing homo superior from tens of millions to a paltry two hundred. Following this event, Hank McCoy aka Beast sets out on a journey that’ll span the furthest reaches of the globe and a rich cast of Marvel’s scientific set (both good and bad) in search of something to reverse the spell.

I appreciate that a book like t
Derek
Whoa! Okay, now we see Mike Carey come out of his shell. The gauntlet has been thrown, the kid gloves torn away, no play it safe anymore. I like that.
This was an impress volume. The dire consequences of the M-Day event were more pronounced in this volume than supernovas. And the X-men had more of a challenge and even suffered more, drawing me in--empathy-wise. Countless scores of X-men, mostly peecogs and prophetics dead by the hands of Sinister and his Marauders, who infiltrate Mystique and th
Derek
Apr 18, 2015 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really a Hank McCoy (or Beast, if you will) story more than it is an X-men tale. It's a far more somber and meditative approach to comics storytelling than the usual saga involving everyone's favorite mutants. In point of fact, not much happens. If you're looking for a high-impact, action-filled saga, you might want to keep looking. However, if you're after more than just that, you're really in luck. Endangered Species features the kind of nuanced and quietly powerful writing that mainst ...more
Nancy Kotkin
When I read the Harry Potter series, I started with the fourth book and had no difficulty catching on to the characters and plot lines. The X-men series is written in such a way that it is impossible to comprehend this book without having read any of the others first. I had to keep consulting Wikipedia to reference character names, important places, and previous events. The names alone don't actually help me keep the characters straight because I still don't know enough about them to enjoy this ...more
Anne
X-Men are hit or miss for me, but I really liked this.
Beast goes on a scientific quest all over the world to try and find a way to undo the Scarlett Witch's House of M spell. He's prepared to do business with some pretty unsavory characters in an effort to find something to unlock the mutant gene again, but the true cost to saving his species may be too high.
This was a great lead-in to the X-Men: Messiah Complex HC.
Justin
Oct 26, 2009 Justin rated it did not like it
Soooooo disappointing! Nothing happens, almost literally. I thought that Beast would, at least, get a clue as to how to reverse the House of M curse. But, all he succeeded in doing was run around the globe a few times. Whoopty doo...
Matthew Ledrew
Jan 05, 2016 Matthew Ledrew rated it it was amazing
Reads as both a great story and a guided tour of the X-Men History in an organic way as Hank McCoy searches for the cure to the mutant M-Day extinction event.
Jason Smith
Jan 29, 2009 Jason Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Excellent graphic novel for anyone who has loved the X-Men for a long time.
Santiago L. Moreno
Entre tanta morralla perdida en la continuidad, a veces te encuentras pequeñas miniseries que te sorprenden por lo gratificante. Esta tenía todas las papeletas para ser un ladrillo de relleno más: tres guionistas y cuatro dibujantes a través de cinco series. Sin embargo, la colaboración funciona. Los cambios de dibujo no molestan (quizás porque todo Dios colorea ya oscuro) y la historia no tiene altibajos. En la estela de las series dedicadas al crecimiento de un determinado personaje, "Especie ...more
Jen
Dec 17, 2016 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad how Beast's journey turned out (well... glad is probably not what I mean. Relieved?) but am sad that he had to make it in the first place. Hank is a scientist so I totally understand the motivations he has and the frustration with his ability to solve mutantkind's problem, but he still steps over the line into a dark path.

The back issues at the funeral, I have no idea who that is or if there is something else going on. I understand why it is in this title, though.
Mel
Jan 09, 2017 Mel rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Henry's story pulled me in. His journey, his conflicts -- honestly, that was the best part of this. For me, at least.
Andy
May 28, 2014 Andy rated it really liked it
In the immediate wake of House of M and Scarlet Witch's momentous reality-bending statement, "No More Mutants", Endangered Species tells the story of Henry McCoy applying all of his scientific knowledge and tapping into every possible source of information and resources he knows (some less savory than others).

I really enjoyed this storyline, because while I didn't necessarily want a conflict as serious as the sudden in-existence of the mutant gene to be solved quickly, I definitely wanted all of
Aaron
Nov 11, 2011 Aaron rated it liked it
I was surprised by how enjoyable I found this read, overall. Often, these little microstories stuffed at the end of regular issues of comic books don't add up to all that much, but in this case, they form a pretty cohesive, decently fulfilling character story of Beast, on a quest to restore the mutant gene that has disappeared since Scarlet Witch magicked all the mutants away.

I will say, this story does ultimately feel a little pointless in the grand scheme of the X-Men. It never feels like it d
Christopher
Aug 24, 2008 Christopher rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To any that have read House of M
Recommended to Christopher by: Diamond Previews
First off, let me say this book continues the House of M story. It is the mutant's struggle right where Wanda says, "No More Mutants", hence the title Endangered Species.

The story mostly focuses on Hank McCoy "Beast" trying to find a way to reverse the mutant gene problem that was wiped out by Wanda from the House of M storyline.

The book was entertaining and I enjoyed the art work in the book. There were some interesting points and very serious real life topics they tried to address in the book
Cindy
Oct 03, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
I’m surprised by the fact that I actually enjoyed reading Endangered Species because, as some other reviewers noted, "nothing" happens. Henry McCoy/Beast takes on the task to discover a way to preserve their mutant race after the results of M Day and he just runs into one failure after the other, which is expected. There are no real surprises, it would have been shocking if he actually found a method to accomplish a task this grand. I feel like I enjoyed reading through Beast’s journey mainly be ...more
Brad
Jun 21, 2008 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel, x-men
Another serialized installment of the current depressing run of Mike Carey's X-Men! After an anonymous mutant dies, Beast does his darndest to figure out how to reverse the coming mutant extinction caused by Scarlet Witch in House of M.
Beast is rarely the star (he's kind of the Martian Manhunter of the X-Men), and it's fun to see him traipse across the globe and interact with all the guest stars (especially the almost forgotten Dark Beast). However, this story isn't a particularly gripping o
David Basora
May 09, 2015 David Basora rated it liked it
A fascinating profile of Beast's research into saving mutant-kind following the events of M-Day, that really reminded me why he is one of my favorite X-Men. It justifies to me why things took such a drastic turn in Brian Michael Bendis's All-New X-Men, Vol. 1: Yesterday's X-Men. Now I need to read X-Men: Messiah Complex to link this and X-Men: Second Coming.
Davy
Aug 23, 2014 Davy rated it liked it
I already collected most of the Messiah Complex - Second Coming saga so I had to add up Endangered Species. The story is almost solemny about Beast (not my most favorite character, but for this story the right "mutant" for the job), searching for a "solution" of the 'House of M'-disaster and being confronted with his ethical dillemas. I you read this book without nowing nothing of House of M, you probably wouldn't understand a lot about it.
Although there is not much action ("nothing really happ
Leigh
Aug 30, 2011 Leigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, x-men
This definitely has to be one of my favorite X-Men comics I've read so far, aside from Kyle and Yost's run on X-23. It is such a treat to be able to see so clearly into the mind and motivations of Henry McCoy, who has quickly become my favorite of the X-Men. He is sharp and quick in both mind and body, and it is always tragic to see him at such odds with himself regarding his mutation. Watching him search so desperately, so longingly for some sort of cure for what happened on M-Day is devastatin ...more
Scott
Dec 20, 2011 Scott rated it liked it
In the wake of the M-Day event, which reduced the world's mutant population to under 200, the species faces extinction. Hank McCoy desperately searches for a way to reawaken the x-gene, first turning to his allies and when they fail, to his enemies -- people like the High Evolutionary, the Nazi scientist Arnim Zola, and Dr. Kavita Rao, who once found a cure for mutation herself.

Compiled mostly of a continuing story that ran as a backup feature in the ongoing X-books, Endangered Species does, in
Nathan
May 13, 2013 Nathan rated it did not like it
The cataclysmic events of M-Day provided a nice setup for the X-men universe. With their numbers drastically reduced Beast tries to find a way to restore the mutant population leading him to pair up with his evil counterpart Dark Beast. This story had some great potential it could be a great detective story and there were some traces of that in it however the entirety of this plot line was rather dull. It's difficult to keep engaged in a story with no conflict but writer Yost could have substitu ...more
Adam Fisher
Dec 22, 2015 Adam Fisher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the events of House of M and Decimation, Beast goes on a quest to try and jump start the mutant genome in to working again. At its root, this story is the emotional journey of Hank McCoy dealing with his scientific helplessness.
With the help of Dark Beast, and some hiccups and unknowns along the way, he ultimately discovers that there is nothing he can do. Only continue to try, but by moral and natural means, and help preserve the mutants that are left.
Overall, a good story. Anxious to see
Beaugan Gama
Sep 27, 2015 Beaugan Gama rated it it was ok
the follow up to the classic epic that is Messiah CompleX was a bunch of small stories featuring Beast as star of the show running around trying to jump start the mutant race and guest staring a few of the heavy hitters of the Marvel universe (good and bad guys alike)

not the most essential of reads, not necessary really, I'm not quite sure why they made it but ok

I wouldn't specifically recommend it, but you can read it. it's nothing epic or exciting

if you miss it, it won't change your life, jus
Jeff Harris
Jul 06, 2015 Jeff Harris rated it liked it
Shelves: x-men, graphic-novels
This is written by Mike Carey, so as usual, it's an engaging read that ties in a lot of different characters from within and beyond the X-Men's universe. Beast is trying got do what no one else has been able to accomplish (and few have even tried to): restore mutantkind's population from the brink of extinction after the Decimation at the hands of the Scarlet Witch. These stories were originally located at the end of multiple issues of various comics, so if you want to see the full story without ...more
Arturo
Dec 22, 2013 Arturo rated it it was ok
The one-shot was great. Great art by Scot Eaton, the inks, colors, all that. Great X-Men opening splash page. Great rendition of the triple headed sentinel from Genosha. No action, just a lot of pretty good conversations. ..from Sebastian shaw and Prof X. Bishop and Sam, and in just one panel and a few words, gives a good hint of what's to come from Bishop.
The 17part backups collected are kinda pointless, if it's meant too make it all feel bleak, well it does a good job. The story is Good as ba
Christopher Reichard
This is only an ok read on its own, but when taken in context of the events of M-Day and the Messiah Complex that this directly leads up to, it is an interesting background and build up to one of the better series of events in the X-Men universe in resent years. This is the lead up to the "Messiah Trilogy" that even impacts current AvsX event. Well worth the read if reading the whole epic, but falls short on its own.
  • Decimation: X-Men - The 198
  • X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong
  • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Ultimate Collection - Book 3
  • X-Men: X-Tinction Agenda
  • X-Men: Age of Apocalypse – The Complete Epic, Book 4
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

X-Men, Volume II (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • X-Men: Mutant Genesis