Start by marking “X-Men: Endangered Species” as Want to Read:
X-Men: Endangered Species

X-Men: Endangered Species (X-Men Marvel Deluxe)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,672 ratings  ·  43 reviews
"No more mutants."

They say words can never hurt you. But they never met Wanda Maximoff. At the height of her madness during the crisis known as M Day, the Scarlet Witch uttered those three little words that obliterated nearly the entire species of mutants, consigning them to the dustbin of Darwin's evolution.

Following in the wake of Decimation, and setting up the final sho...more
Published February 13th 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Nicolo Yu
Henry McCoy, aptly named the Beast by his cohorts in the X-Men and whose feline appearance belie his genius intellect, has the mission of his lifetime. The mutant race is on the verge of extinction, their numbers once numbered in the millions and was on the verge to supplant plain vanilla homo sapiens in a few generations suddenly find their numbers reduced by 99 percent. The mutant gene simply disappeared and along with it mutant births, mutant would cease to exist in two generations. In order...more
Sesana
I have to acknowledge up front that this has two things working against it. For one, these stories were originally published as short backups. That leads to a lot of exposition panels, more than there would be otherwise. The other, and far more important, obstacle to the reader is that we all know before we read the first page that Beast's quest is doomed to fail.

Obviously, something this big was not going to be undone in a backup story. So instead of anything satisfying, we get a lot of Beast c...more
Erik
Not unlike the most recent mega mutant crossover Messiah Complex, this collection of mini-chapters from the myriad X-Men titles follows up on the House of M story-line by following Hank McCoy – better known as the adorably smart and blue-fuzzed Beast – as he seeks to find a cure for an increasingly endangered homo superior.

Although it does serve as a nice coda for the House of M, I’m not entirely convinced that this is worth being a stand-alone volume. You’ll notice right away that each chapter...more
Son of Sam Quixote
In “House of M”, Wanda Maximoff aka Scarlet Witch (Magneto’s unhinged daughter) uttered a spell so powerful - “No More Mutants” - that it nearly obliterated all mutants on Earth, reducing homo superior from tens of millions to a paltry two hundred. Following this event, Hank McCoy aka Beast sets out on a journey that’ll span the furthest reaches of the globe and a rich cast of Marvel’s scientific set (both good and bad) in search of something to reverse the spell.

I appreciate that a book like t...more
Anne
X-Men are hit or miss for me, but I really liked this.
Beast goes on a scientific quest all over the world to try and find a way to undo the Scarlett Witch's House of M spell. He's prepared to do business with some pretty unsavory characters in an effort to find something to unlock the mutant gene again, but the true cost to saving his species may be too high.
This was a great lead-in to the X-Men: Messiah Complex HC.
Andy
In the immediate wake of House of M and Scarlet Witch's momentous reality-bending statement, "No More Mutants", Endangered Species tells the story of Henry McCoy applying all of his scientific knowledge and tapping into every possible source of information and resources he knows (some less savory than others).

I really enjoyed this storyline, because while I didn't necessarily want a conflict as serious as the sudden in-existence of the mutant gene to be solved quickly, I definitely wanted all of...more
Cindy
I’m surprised by the fact that I actually enjoyed reading Endangered Species because, as some other reviewers noted, "nothing" happens. Henry McCoy/Beast takes on the task to discover a way to preserve their mutant race after the results of M Day and he just runs into one failure after the other, which is expected. There are no real surprises, it would have been shocking if he actually found a method to accomplish a task this grand. I feel like I enjoyed reading through Beast’s journey mainly be...more
Davy
I already collected most of the Messiah Complex - Second Coming saga so I had to add up Endangered Species. The story is almost solemny about Beast (not my most favorite character, but for this story the right "mutant" for the job), searching for a "solution" of the 'House of M'-disaster and being confronted with his ethical dillemas. I you read this book without nowing nothing of House of M, you probably wouldn't understand a lot about it.
Although there is not much action ("nothing really happ...more
Justin
Soooooo disappointing! Nothing happens, almost literally. I thought that Beast would, at least, get a clue as to how to reverse the House of M curse. But, all he succeeded in doing was run around the globe a few times. Whoopty doo...
Nancy Kotkin
When I read the Harry Potter series, I started with the fourth book and had no difficulty catching on to the characters and plot lines. The X-men series is written in such a way that it is impossible to comprehend this book without having read any of the others first. I had to keep consulting Wikipedia to reference character names, important places, and previous events. The names alone don't actually help me keep the characters straight because I still don't know enough about them to enjoy this...more
Jason Smith
Excellent graphic novel for anyone who has loved the X-Men for a long time.
Aaron
I was surprised by how enjoyable I found this read, overall. Often, these little microstories stuffed at the end of regular issues of comic books don't add up to all that much, but in this case, they form a pretty cohesive, decently fulfilling character story of Beast, on a quest to restore the mutant gene that has disappeared since Scarlet Witch magicked all the mutants away.

I will say, this story does ultimately feel a little pointless in the grand scheme of the X-Men. It never feels like it d...more
Christopher
Aug 24, 2008 Christopher rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To any that have read House of M
Recommended to Christopher by: Diamond Previews
First off, let me say this book continues the House of M story. It is the mutant's struggle right where Wanda says, "No More Mutants", hence the title Endangered Species.

The story mostly focuses on Hank McCoy "Beast" trying to find a way to reverse the mutant gene problem that was wiped out by Wanda from the House of M storyline.

The book was entertaining and I enjoyed the art work in the book. There were some interesting points and very serious real life topics they tried to address in the book...more
Sally Green
Está genial la historia, además de que Beast es mi X-Men favorito, desde que salía la serie de TV, donde usaban los trajes amarillos. Lo único malo es que para saber qué sucede después, tengo que conseguir el siguiente número: Messiah Complex.

Es interesante e increíble como algunos sucesos de la historia de la humanidad pueden ser usados para escribir historias de ficción, porque en realidad eso parecen, relatos escalofriantes que uno en el fondo desea que nunca hubieran sucedido.
T S
Mike Carey, Christopher Yost, and Christos Gage turn in compellingly good chapters here, working up to the next big X-Event, Messiah Complex.

Prior to reading Endangered Species, I'd glanced through some uniformly negative reviews, and I just don't get it. I started reading it leisurely enough, but by the halfway mark I was really engrossed and couldn't put it down. I quite enjoyed shadowing Hank McCoy and his doppleganger from the Apocalypse reality, Dark Beast, as they attempted to save mutantk...more
Brad
Another serialized installment of the current depressing run of Mike Carey's X-Men! After an anonymous mutant dies, Beast does his darndest to figure out how to reverse the coming mutant extinction caused by Scarlet Witch in House of M.
Beast is rarely the star (he's kind of the Martian Manhunter of the X-Men), and it's fun to see him traipse across the globe and interact with all the guest stars (especially the almost forgotten Dark Beast). However, this story isn't a particularly gripping o...more
Leigh
This definitely has to be one of my favorite X-Men comics I've read so far, aside from Kyle and Yost's run on X-23. It is such a treat to be able to see so clearly into the mind and motivations of Henry McCoy, who has quickly become my favorite of the X-Men. He is sharp and quick in both mind and body, and it is always tragic to see him at such odds with himself regarding his mutation. Watching him search so desperately, so longingly for some sort of cure for what happened on M-Day is devastatin...more
Nathan
The cataclysmic events of M-Day provided a nice setup for the X-men universe. With their numbers drastically reduced Beast tries to find a way to restore the mutant population leading him to pair up with his evil counterpart Dark Beast. This story had some great potential it could be a great detective story and there were some traces of that in it however the entirety of this plot line was rather dull. It's difficult to keep engaged in a story with no conflict but writer Yost could have substitu...more
Scott
In the wake of the M-Day event, which reduced the world's mutant population to under 200, the species faces extinction. Hank McCoy desperately searches for a way to reawaken the x-gene, first turning to his allies and when they fail, to his enemies -- people like the High Evolutionary, the Nazi scientist Arnim Zola, and Dr. Kavita Rao, who once found a cure for mutation herself.

Compiled mostly of a continuing story that ran as a backup feature in the ongoing X-books, Endangered Species does, in...more
Agnitio Lector
Illustration is rather good I would say. The story did not pan out the way I expected it. Seems as though it could have continued on, not ended where it did.
Arturo
The one-shot was great. Great art by Scot Eaton, the inks, colors, all that. Great X-Men opening splash page. Great rendition of the triple headed sentinel from Genosha. No action, just a lot of pretty good conversations. ..from Sebastian shaw and Prof X. Bishop and Sam, and in just one panel and a few words, gives a good hint of what's to come from Bishop.
The 17part backups collected are kinda pointless, if it's meant too make it all feel bleak, well it does a good job. The story is Good as ba...more
Sean
Henry McCoy's search for answers has been done before (Legacy Virus) but here he tries to enlist unlikely sources of help. Sadly, it all seems like a X-Universe greatest hits tour without the hits. The story was predictable and utterly pointless. The multiple writers voices were impossible to differentiate which goes to the vanilla-ness of the plot. The art was by far the upside of the book. This is a trade that can and should be pushed aside for the real stories going on.
SA
BEASTY I LOVE YOU JUST LET ME LOVE YOU OKAY.

Seriously, this ripped my heart out and left it to fend for itself in the woods somewhere probably in the Arctic Circle, but man, worth every page. Yost has a real talent for digging into the mechanics of a character, the hows as much as the whys. Witnessing Beast run into the best and worst parts of himself in this book make for an incredible narrative. Highly recommended.
Christopher Reichard
This is only an ok read on its own, but when taken in context of the events of M-Day and the Messiah Complex that this directly leads up to, it is an interesting background and build up to one of the better series of events in the X-Men universe in resent years. This is the lead up to the "Messiah Trilogy" that even impacts current AvsX event. Well worth the read if reading the whole epic, but falls short on its own.
Alejandro
Prometía ser mejor de lo que resultó ser.Hay una razón por la cual dejé de leer historias de superhéroes hace años. Historias predecibles, dibujos predecibles, personajes acartonados, ramificaciones que tienden hacia lo infinito (por cuestiones mercantiles) pero que no le aportan ninguna profundidad a la historia... En resúmen, lo que todo eso hace es que las historias sean sumamente aburridas.
M
Original X-Man Beast gets the spotlight in this serial quest to undo the decimation of the mutant population. Initially penned as back-up chapters in various X-books, this collections unites the threads of Beast's search for a way to undo the Decimation. As doors continue to close around him, the man of science finds few answers - leading to a team up with his dark counterpart.
Jorge
Suge
The frustration from M Day continues as Beast tries to figure out what happened to the mutant gene that mutants once possessed. It's a depressing look into the reality of what happened to the mutants once they no longer had their powers and it looks into the more inhumane treatments of mutants. Very good book and kind of sad as well.
Joe
This one was funny..In a way I was looking for action.
Instead it gave me drama.
This is the kind of story I have wanted from the Older X-Men for a long time.
Let them move on and give way to the younger Mutants.
Let the original X-Men have more normal live with World Building stories.

This I like very much. [alas poor Henry]
Morgan
i am reading my dad's xmen comic book. It is a big book with 100 pages. i am a big fan of the xmen. my favorite hero is nightcrawler and wolverine. nightcrawler can disappear and wolverine has sharp claws that come out of his nuckles and fight. i am on page 9. it is going to take me a long time to finish this book.
  • Messiah Complex
  • House of M: New X-Men
  • X-Men: The Complete Onslaught Epic, Book 2
  • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Ultimate Collection - Book 3
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 6: Revolution
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli...more
More about Mike Carey...
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway (Lucifer, #1) The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man