Start by marking “Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible: Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God” as Want to Read:
Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible: Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God

Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible: Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God (Bad Girls of the Bible #3)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  584 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Good Women Behaving Badly

A spiteful boss, a defiant employee, a manipulative mother, a desperate housewife, an envious sister…honey, we know these women. We’ve lived with them, worked with them, or caught a glimpse of them in our mirrors.

Now let’s take a look at their ancient counterparts in Scripture: Sarah mistreated her maidservant, Hagar despised her mistress, Rebekah
Published September 11th 2007 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Purpose Driven Life by Rick WarrenThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Christian Books
396th out of 1,203 books — 905 voters
Thorn in My Heart by Liz Curtis HiggsWhence Came a Prince by Liz Curtis HiggsFair Is the Rose by Liz Curtis HiggsHere Burns My Candle by Liz Curtis HiggsGrace in Thine Eyes by Liz Curtis Higgs
Best of Liz Curtis Higgs
15th out of 51 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Valerie Yoh
Aug 04, 2009 Valerie Yoh rated it liked it
This book is one among a series of books about women in the Bible ("Unveiling Mary Magdalene", "Bad Girls of the Bible", and "Really Bad Girls of the Bible"). It primarily addresses five women from Genesis (Sarai/Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah, and Rachel). The emphasis of this book is keyed by the subtitle: "Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God".

The overall concept was good and I was glad to become more closely acquainted with the stories of these women. I also liked the "modern day" analogies sh
Michelle
May 19, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
This book might be a little hokey for some, but I enjoyed it. Higgs deconstructs the Biblical stories of Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah, and Rachel, carefully demonstrating their relevance to modern day life. One way that she does that is to tell fictional stories that are something of a modern update on the Bible stories. She shows how the same circumstances would look in modern times. She demonstrates how modern people are no better or worse than the people who fell short as long ago as Genesis. ...more
Donna
Mar 15, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
We have been using this book in a women's small group for a few months. Interesting discussion material about women if the Bible and their human difficulties, emotions and how God used them, love them and forgive them.
Kristin
Apr 14, 2012 Kristin marked it as to-read
Maybe these girls aren't bad enough? I've had this one for awhile and I haven't finished it. But, it's not the book....just too much else to read!
Elizabeth
May 21, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I read the previous two books in the "Bad Girls" series many years ago and quite liked them. My mom loaned me this one. I like Liz Curtis Higgs, but I feel that she was really stretching in this one. I felt she had a lot more conjecture with the women of this one. Rebekah especially bothered me. I feel as though a lot was read into.

I think she researches her subjects well, but I feel like she was really stretching these 5 women in these books and perhaps taking too many things into her own narr
Lauren
Mar 13, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
I did the first two books Bad Girls of the Bible And What We Can Learn from Them by Liz Curtis Higgs and Really Bad Girls of the Bible More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Woman by Liz Curtis Higgs and with my women's bible study. They were the first Bible studies I'd ever done, we really enjoyed them and even incorporated some of our snacks to go along with the studies. Like when we studied Eve our snacks contained apples. The studies brought us close together, once we finished the first two books though we wanted to move on to something else. I really wish we could've done this one as a group as well. I did this study on my own three years later for my c ...more
KDNH
Sep 19, 2010 KDNH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you follow this blog, you’ve seen the recent reviews of Bad Girls of the Bible and Really Bad Girls of the Bible. I enjoyed them so much I wanted to read the final book in the series before moving on to something else. Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible covers fewer women, but a more detailed study of them. Sarah, Rebekah, and Leah get two chapters each while Hagar and Rachel get one chapter. Because Sarah and Hagar’s stories are intertwined (as are Hagar and Rachel’s) it’s a nice twist on how t ...more
Debi
Sep 27, 2008 Debi rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible-study
Liz Curtis Higgs is one of my favorite authors, having enjoyed her non-fiction Help, I'm Laughing and I Can't Get Up and her fiction Mixed Signals. I've read some of her other books about Bad Girls and this book focused in on Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah and Rachel.

Each chapter starts with a fiction re-telling in modern times of the Biblical story. These women in the Bible were not so different than us. They faced similar struggles and heartaches. Their responses were not always godly or righteou
Amber
May 01, 2014 Amber rated it liked it
Re-reading this as part of a bookshelf purge, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I still liked this book. The insights are poignant and relevant for today's woman. The conversational tone and upper middle class, Euro-centric re-imaginings are much less impressive to me as a young adult as they were to teenage me, and she relies heavily on a strict Biblical literalism that doesn't sit well with my own theological training. I will still keep this book, however, as I think its a good discussion ...more
Dacia
Feb 17, 2016 Dacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was wonderful. Bible commentary and study books are often boring but this one was so interesting and easy to read. I love how the author carefully dissected the verses to explain the stories of each of these ladies. This book truly gave me a better understanding of the significance of these ladies. I will definitely be reading the other books in this series. The author is a wonderful teacher.
Gina Clabo (Look at that Book!!!!)
Loved

I have 2 of the bad girls of the bible and recommend them all this one was a good one although Liz I feel you went on and on about Sarah the rest went pretty fast..You almost lost me at first but I learn so much about the bible stories you relay..Love You and Thank You again for the lessons learned...Ladies read all bad girls of the bible and see if you are any of them today!!! Gina Clabo
Lynchck521
Apr 16, 2014 Lynchck521 rated it it was amazing
I liked the bad girls of the bible book a little better just because she didn't repeat people. However I love this authors style snd think she is funny and also does an amazing job at relating these woman's lives to our own!! Amazing book!! Can't wait to read really bad girls of the bible!!
Jason Henry
Good job Mrs. Higgs. You pulled out some treasures from the bible and these women that truly needed to be mined. Thanks for your dedication and ministry to helping women and more importantly thanks for saying yes to God when He called you. Keep doing what you're doing.
Ashley
Jun 08, 2008 Ashley rated it really liked it
While I didn't find it as funny as the other "Bad Girls" books, it remained informative, thought-provoking, and humorous in all the right places. Liz Curtis Higgs uses the mothers of Judeo-Christian beliefs - Sarah, Hagar, Leah, and Rebekah - as the subjects of this book. The one thing that amazes me is how the book changed the way I looked at Leah and Rebekah. Growing up in Sunday School, you always think of Rebekah as the good girl and Leah as the bad girl. But poor Leah was taken advantage of ...more
Marshan Alma
Feb 07, 2016 Marshan Alma rated it really liked it
I read a chapter or so every day. I also watched the DVD that went along with this book. It was mainly just a recap of the book.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and seeing these Bible characters from a new angle. I couldn't believe how much I could relate to them. These were real women who had real life struggles like you and me. Awesome book ! Totally recommend.
Beverly
Jan 18, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it
Liz got me reading the Bible with this book ... what do you mean Rebekah convinced her son to deceive his father, I had to read the original to confirm what some of these ladies got up to. They were just as real and human as we are. I enjoy Liz's humour. And, it doesn't hurt that her book 'Fair is the Rose' is my favourite Christian fictional novel. I had always wondered which Biblical story the book was based on and now I know.
Jul 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Just as great as her first book, Liz covers Genesis in this book. After reading this book, I am more familiar with the women in Genesis and how God worked in their lives. I especially liked the story about Leah and Rachel. Although God cannot change Isaac to love Leah more, I really saw how God was still with Leah through Liz's thorough analysis. She also included lessons at the end of every chapter and thought provoking questions for discussions or for you to answer them yourself as a Bible stu ...more
Alison
Feb 08, 2015 Alison rated it it was ok
Eh, not my favorite, but it did make me think (and smile!). I was glad to learn more about Hagar, but I have a hard time seeing poor Leah as much of a bad girl. Parts of the book just didn't work for me, I guess.
Teresa
Mar 17, 2015 Teresa rated it really liked it
A lovely book that reminds the reader that God has more faith in us than we have faith in him. It also reminded me that I should have more patience in the Lord and God and the things they want for me.
Shelley Otto
Aug 12, 2014 Shelley Otto rated it it was amazing
This book is very good. This book is about the matriarchs of of the Bible. It includes stories of Sarah, Hagar, Rebecka, Leah, and Rachel. Each of these ladies had flaws, yet God continued to love them and care for their deepest needs. Each of these women tried to control the circumstances in their lives, and they caused many problems doing this. This book shows the importance of trusting God through everything, whether it makes sense of not. Liz Curtis Higgs is a very talented writer, and it is ...more
Hilary
Feb 26, 2012 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This book covers the stories of Sarah and Hagar, Rebekah, and Rachel & Leah, holding each of them up to the light to see what is revealed. As with her other books, Liz Curtis Higgs writes with an informal, chatty style (sometimes slightly annoying) which is easy to read, but which can disguise some very penetrating insights and useful thoughts. Random trivia she included: when Rebekah watered the Isaac's servant's camels, she had to descend stone steps to the spring to fill her 3-gallon jar. ...more
Phyllis Brown
Dec 03, 2014 Phyllis Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Studied this book in my Sunday School Class and really enjoyed it.
Anne
Jan 18, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it
I love Liz Curtis Higgs' emphasis in this book on the issue of control, and learning to trust God. I think every woman struggles with this, and it helps to see ourselves in the women of the Bible so we can learn how to overcome this tendency. Some people complain that she takes "liberties" with the Bible stories by creating modern-day counterparts, but I find the contemporary stories to be very helpful. They help me relate the ancient Bible stories to my life and make them more applicable to me.
Sophia
Oct 31, 2012 Sophia rated it it was amazing
This was a really great book. It made me dig deeper into the lives of these women and the Bible. It was encouraging to see how imperfect these women could be and even more encouraging was how God still loved them.

I really liked how Higgs started off with the fictional modern takes on these women. It really helped me to beter understand the women and relate to their situations. The questions at the end really made me think. I will be checking out the other books in the series.
Anna
May 05, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
The book functioned more like a research paper, complete with footnotes and quotations throughout. It took me a little bit to get into the style, because for me those things are distracting. However, the in depth look at the stories of Biblical characters was interesting. I liked that she pulled together different translations to paint a more detailed picture. I'd be interested to read her other books.
Squiggles{Kelly}
Nov 29, 2008 Squiggles{Kelly} rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any girl
I have so enjoyed all of the Bad Girls of the Bible books. Liz Curtis Higgs truly brings these Biblical women to life in a very enjoyable read. She seems to sit beside you and throw an arm around you, saying "Girlfriend..." as you read. I learned so much and enjoyed every minute of it! I particulary liked her 'present-day' versions of each of the women.
These books are awesome!
Kathy
Aug 02, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable re-telling of the lives of Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah, and Rachel. There are wonderful modern day vignettes that help us 21st Century readers connect with the issues faced by these women. The author's whit is enjoyable and her research is admirable. The next time I find myself studying one of these women, I will re-read this author's take on her life.
Danielle
Feb 13, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This book really brought to life the characters of Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel, and Leah from the Old Testament. Not only did I find the author's thoughts and explanations fascinating, her modern day examples, cheesy as they may be at times, made me see where I share some of these flaws.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
Tracy
Jul 30, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Liz Curtis Higgs humanizes Biblical women of ancient times and makes their lives and life experiences practical and comprehendible for a contemporary audience. Her tone is light--reading the book almost feels like chatting with a Southern girlfriend. Her research and support for her observations is sound and well executed.
Becky
Aug 10, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
Easy to read. Great insights on some Biblical women. Unfortunately (and fortunately) God used this book to draw my attention to some of my own issues. We are all flawed, but GOD loves and uses us for HIS glory! Thank You, Jesus.
  • Women of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study of Women in Scripture
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols
  • Lazarus Awakening: Finding Your Place in the Heart of God
  • A Jane Austen Devotional
  • Faithful Abundant True Weekend Retreat and Study Guide: Three Lives Going Deeper Still
  • When Christ Comes
  • Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild
  • Broken into Beautiful: How God Restores the Wounded Heart
  • Deal with It!: You Cannot Conquer What You Will Not Confront
  • The One Year Devotions for Couples
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • Falling in Love with Jesus: Abandoning Yourself to the Greatest Romance of Your Life
  • Do You Think I'm Beautiful?
  • A Woman's Heart
  • Behold Now Behemoth: Dinosaurs All Over the Bible!
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Needle’s Eye:The World's Greatest Detective Tackles the Bible's Ultimate Mysteries
  • The Someday List (Jubilant Soul #1)
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...

Bad Girls of the Bible (3 books)
  • Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them