Start by marking “Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible: Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God” as Want to Read:
Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible: Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God

Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible: Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God (Bad Girls of the Bible #3)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Good Women Behaving Badly
A spiteful boss, a defiant employee, a manipulative mother, a desperate housewife, an envious sister...honey, we know these women. We've lived with them, worked with them, or caught a glimpse of them in our mirrors.
Now let's take a look at their ancient counterparts in Scripture: Sarah mistreated her maidservant, Hagar despised her mistress, Rebe
Published September 11th 2007 by Waterbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible

Valerie Yoh
This book is one among a series of books about women in the Bible ("Unveiling Mary Magdalene", "Bad Girls of the Bible", and "Really Bad Girls of the Bible"). It primarily addresses five women from Genesis (Sarai/Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah, and Rachel). The emphasis of this book is keyed by the subtitle: "Flawed Women Loved by a Flawless God".

The overall concept was good and I was glad to become more closely acquainted with the stories of these women. I also liked the "modern day" analogies sh
Kristin
Apr 14, 2012 Kristin marked it as to-read
Maybe these girls aren't bad enough? I've had this one for awhile and I haven't finished it. But, it's not the book....just too much else to read!
Elizabeth
I read the previous two books in the "Bad Girls" series many years ago and quite liked them. My mom loaned me this one. I like Liz Curtis Higgs, but I feel that she was really stretching in this one. I felt she had a lot more conjecture with the women of this one. Rebekah especially bothered me. I feel as though a lot was read into.

I think she researches her subjects well, but I feel like she was really stretching these 5 women in these books and perhaps taking too many things into her own narr
Lauren
I did the first two books Bad Girls of the Bible  And What We Can Learn from Them by Liz Curtis Higgs and Really Bad Girls of the Bible  More Lessons from Less-Than-Perfect-Woman by Liz Curtis Higgs and with my women's bible study. They were the first Bible studies I'd ever done, we really enjoyed them and even incorporated some of our snacks to go along with the studies. Like when we studied Eve our snacks contained apples. The studies brought us close together, once we finished the first two books though we wanted to move on to something else. I really wish we could've done this one as a group as well. I did this study on my own three years later for my c ...more
KDNH
If you follow this blog, you’ve seen the recent reviews of Bad Girls of the Bible and Really Bad Girls of the Bible. I enjoyed them so much I wanted to read the final book in the series before moving on to something else. Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible covers fewer women, but a more detailed study of them. Sarah, Rebekah, and Leah get two chapters each while Hagar and Rachel get one chapter. Because Sarah and Hagar’s stories are intertwined (as are Hagar and Rachel’s) it’s a nice twist on how t ...more
Debi
Liz Curtis Higgs is one of my favorite authors, having enjoyed her non-fiction Help, I'm Laughing and I Can't Get Up and her fiction Mixed Signals. I've read some of her other books about Bad Girls and this book focused in on Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah and Rachel.

Each chapter starts with a fiction re-telling in modern times of the Biblical story. These women in the Bible were not so different than us. They faced similar struggles and heartaches. Their responses were not always godly or righteou
Amber
Re-reading this as part of a bookshelf purge, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I still liked this book. The insights are poignant and relevant for today's woman. The conversational tone and upper middle class, Euro-centric re-imaginings are much less impressive to me as a young adult as they were to teenage me, and she relies heavily on a strict Biblical literalism that doesn't sit well with my own theological training. I will still keep this book, however, as I think its a good discussion ...more
Lynchck521
I liked the bad girls of the bible book a little better just because she didn't repeat people. However I love this authors style snd think she is funny and also does an amazing job at relating these woman's lives to our own!! Amazing book!! Can't wait to read really bad girls of the bible!!
Ashley
While I didn't find it as funny as the other "Bad Girls" books, it remained informative, thought-provoking, and humorous in all the right places. Liz Curtis Higgs uses the mothers of Judeo-Christian beliefs - Sarah, Hagar, Leah, and Rebekah - as the subjects of this book. The one thing that amazes me is how the book changed the way I looked at Leah and Rebekah. Growing up in Sunday School, you always think of Rebekah as the good girl and Leah as the bad girl. But poor Leah was taken advantage of ...more
Beverly Rodowski
Liz got me reading the Bible with this book ... what do you mean Rebekah convinced her son to deceive his father, I had to read the original to confirm what some of these ladies got up to. They were just as real and human as we are. I enjoy Liz's humour. And, it doesn't hurt that her book 'Fair is the Rose' is my favourite Christian fictional novel. I had always wondered which Biblical story the book was based on and now I know.
Just as great as her first book, Liz covers Genesis in this book. After reading this book, I am more familiar with the women in Genesis and how God worked in their lives. I especially liked the story about Leah and Rachel. Although God cannot change Isaac to love Leah more, I really saw how God was still with Leah through Liz's thorough analysis. She also included lessons at the end of every chapter and thought provoking questions for discussions or for you to answer them yourself as a Bible stu ...more
Shelley Otto
This book is very good. This book is about the matriarchs of of the Bible. It includes stories of Sarah, Hagar, Rebecka, Leah, and Rachel. Each of these ladies had flaws, yet God continued to love them and care for their deepest needs. Each of these women tried to control the circumstances in their lives, and they caused many problems doing this. This book shows the importance of trusting God through everything, whether it makes sense of not. Liz Curtis Higgs is a very talented writer, and it is ...more
Hilary
This book covers the stories of Sarah and Hagar, Rebekah, and Rachel & Leah, holding each of them up to the light to see what is revealed. As with her other books, Liz Curtis Higgs writes with an informal, chatty style (sometimes slightly annoying) which is easy to read, but which can disguise some very penetrating insights and useful thoughts. Random trivia she included: when Rebekah watered the Isaac's servant's camels, she had to descend stone steps to the spring to fill her 3-gallon jar. ...more
Phyllis Brown
Studied this book in my Sunday School Class and really enjoyed it.
Anne
I love Liz Curtis Higgs' emphasis in this book on the issue of control, and learning to trust God. I think every woman struggles with this, and it helps to see ourselves in the women of the Bible so we can learn how to overcome this tendency. Some people complain that she takes "liberties" with the Bible stories by creating modern-day counterparts, but I find the contemporary stories to be very helpful. They help me relate the ancient Bible stories to my life and make them more applicable to me.
Sophia
This was a really great book. It made me dig deeper into the lives of these women and the Bible. It was encouraging to see how imperfect these women could be and even more encouraging was how God still loved them.

I really liked how Higgs started off with the fictional modern takes on these women. It really helped me to beter understand the women and relate to their situations. The questions at the end really made me think. I will be checking out the other books in the series.
Anna
The book functioned more like a research paper, complete with footnotes and quotations throughout. It took me a little bit to get into the style, because for me those things are distracting. However, the in depth look at the stories of Biblical characters was interesting. I liked that she pulled together different translations to paint a more detailed picture. I'd be interested to read her other books.
Squiggles{Kelly}
Nov 29, 2008 Squiggles{Kelly} rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any girl
I have so enjoyed all of the Bad Girls of the Bible books. Liz Curtis Higgs truly brings these Biblical women to life in a very enjoyable read. She seems to sit beside you and throw an arm around you, saying "Girlfriend..." as you read. I learned so much and enjoyed every minute of it! I particulary liked her 'present-day' versions of each of the women.
These books are awesome!
Kathy
Very enjoyable re-telling of the lives of Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah, and Rachel. There are wonderful modern day vignettes that help us 21st Century readers connect with the issues faced by these women. The author's whit is enjoyable and her research is admirable. The next time I find myself studying one of these women, I will re-read this author's take on her life.
Danielle
This book really brought to life the characters of Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel, and Leah from the Old Testament. Not only did I find the author's thoughts and explanations fascinating, her modern day examples, cheesy as they may be at times, made me see where I share some of these flaws.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
Becky
Easy to read. Great insights on some Biblical women. Unfortunately (and fortunately) God used this book to draw my attention to some of my own issues. We are all flawed, but GOD loves and uses us for HIS glory! Thank You, Jesus.
Lisa
Liz Curtis Higgs does it again with this insightful and funny commentary on some of our heroines of the old testament (Sarah, Rebekah, Leah and Rachel). She takes scripture, makes it alive and applies it to us in the here and now. Be prepared to be sucked into these women's lives and learn something about yourself as well.
Jessica
Nov 06, 2010 Jessica is currently reading it
Shelves: religious
Liz Curtis Higgs is a hilarious writer who really brings Bible stories to life. I love how she shows how God uses flawed women for a greater purpose. I've enjoyed Really Bad Girls of the Bible during my Bible Study at church and am looking forward to digging into Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible.

I really liked the way that she writes! She's fun-loving and light. I loved all of the information she went over and the way that she delivered it. Her take on some of the stories was very interesting and I loved her modern-day examples. It really made you feel for the Bible characters.
Julie
Feb 23, 2010 Julie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: AHUMC
I loved how she broke down the verses and added interesting facts/commentary. I hated her questions and when she tried to "fill in" what the Bible left out. I'm also not the biggest fan of her sense of humor. BUT, I did learn some new things about myself and these Bible women.
Leslie
May 12, 2008 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: audiobooks, religion
The author examines the lives of women in Genesis (except Eve who was a really, really bad girl). I learned some new things and saw how I share some of the characteristics of these women.

The author has a chummy "girlfriend" tone but I will probably read her other books.
Robin
A good read. Much less dry and less heavy than many Bible study books and, therefore, much more readable. I couldn't get into some of the present-day stories, so didn't like those much. However, they were brief and the main focus was on the Biblical characters.
Deanna
I loved how the author compared real life scenarios to the biblical stories. It made me see the women of the Bible in a different way, and it was actually interesting to hear their stories, especially because I think women in the Bible tend to be ignored more.
Jansie
Hmmm. Well, read this if you are a newbie to the Old Testament. Otherwise, you know all the stories and you've probably analyzed them and this book would just be a fresh, girls p.o.v. of those same stories. Fun to read, but not terribly interesting.
Ellie Revert
Fascinating---maybe things don't change as much as I thought! The author does a great job of contrasting women of thousands of years past with ones of today--brings it all to life. Must read her other books.
  • Women of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study of Women in Scripture
  • No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • When Christ Comes
  • Do You Think I'm Beautiful?
  • If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil
  • Lost Women of the Bible: Finding Strength & Significance through Their Stories
  • A Woman's Heart
  • Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • God Loves Ugly
  • Stuck Study Guide
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Needle’s Eye:The World's Greatest Detective Tackles the Bible's Ultimate Mysteries
  • 24 Hours That Changed The World
  • The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)
  • Once Upon a Time: Discovering Our Forever After Story
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...
Bad Girls of the Bible: And What We Can Learn from Them Thorn in My Heart (Lowlands of Scotland, #1) Whence Came a Prince (Lowlands of Scotland, #3) Fair Is the Rose (Lowlands of Scotland, #2) Grace in Thine Eyes (Lowlands of Scotland, #4)