Start by marking “Yankee Wife (Quaid, #1)” as Want to Read:
Yankee Wife (Quaid, #1)

Yankee Wife (Quaid #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  678 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When a pretty spitfire who's down on her luck clashes with a stubborn man in search of a wife, sparks must turn to flames....

A year after the Civil War, courageous former Union nurse Lydia McQuire was gamely scraping out an honest living. But now, as she said yes to marrying a stranger, her knees gave way with fear. Mr. Devon Quade had seemed polite and handsome when she a
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published June 1st 1993 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Yankee Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yankee Wife

Tish
This was just a nice comfortable read about two brothers, their brides and a developing town. One of the husbands already had children and they are such lively characters. The next book I believe is about the eldest daughter.... cant wait.
Karen
Lydia a strong character who had lived through terrors of war, to be delivered as an unwanted bride. She carved a life where she was independent and marriage mostly on her terms.
Brigham king of the mountain had few who'd defy him but Lydia stood her ground, strong in her convictions, just wouldn't budge until they'd worked out priorities.

I enjoyed exploring the life of a lumber camp, burgeoning town, the vision of brothers on the frontier.
Lori Kurochkina
This book had a very good mail-order bride story line and plenty of side characters that kept the book interesting. I felt "Frodine" was a little bit of an odd character thrown in at the end, the two main characters were almost too stubborn with each other at times, but I loved the setting of the story, in the Northwest area of Washington. A refreshing change from the dusty Southwest or England. (I would have liked though to have read how the lady that delivered a baby at the end of the story re ...more
Jeanne
This story takes place after the civil war. A former Union nurse Lydia McQuire was barely earning a living, playing piano at the local bar. She chances upon an ad for a wife. She goes to see the placer of the ad a Mr. Devon Quade. She accepted his proposition and he took her to Washington territory. It was then that she learned her husband to be was not Devon Quade, but his brother Brigham. He took an instance dislike to the man, however for some reason he aroused a passion in her and a resolve ...more
Courtney
Yankee Wife.

I dont usually like historicals. I dont like the men thinkin their boss and women being submissive. and young girls didnt need to kniw anything more than wifes.
YUCK

I have to say I like this book A Lot!
yes Bingham is dominating and thinks hes the master. But Lydia is there to even him out. I didnt like how she was so easily swayed by sex, but eh.

I liked how Devon and Polly leveled eachother as well. she was sweet. I think I would have liked a little more from those two.

Bo conplaints
April
Aug 02, 2007 April rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Romance Novels
Lydia McQuire sees an advertisement for a bride and decides it would be better than how she was currently living. The man she thinks she will marry is actually not the intended bridegroom. Instead, she has agreeded to marry an arrogant widower with two daughters. At first, Lydia takes an instant dislike for the man, but eventually love blooms.

This is a pretty familiar theme, but I liked Miller's writing style and would recommend her to anybody looking for a well written romance.
JLC

This heroine got on my nerves. Still, a decent book.
Barbra
The devestation of the Civil War and its aftermath affected the lives of so many in the North and South. This book tells of Lydia Quade and the perils of her life after having served in the medical aiding of the wounded troops from both sides. For years she can't get the sights and sounds of war from her head, the cries of young boys who were just babies. She finds her match and true love in a timberman named Brig Quade amongst the tall timbers of Washington State.
Christel
Feb 11, 2008 Christel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Period romance readers
A really good story about a Civil War Nurse trying to put her past behind her and a gruff, domineering lumberjack in the Pacific Northwest. The subplots also keep you going in this book with Devon and Polly. Will read again shelf of my library
Janet Meeks
Never disappointed by Ms. Miller's books. She writes wonderfully . I think more of her stories should be made into movies, better than so many remakes of the some comic book themed movies.!!!!
Please keep on writing Ms. Miller!!!!
Shae
After a friend read this and said it was full of funny bits I was excited to read it. I was quickly disappointed. I really didn't care for any of the characters as much as I thought I might. I didn't care what happened to them.
Connie Deere
The twist in this story was hilarious. The plot was an ever-growing rollercoaster.
Jacqueline
I kept wanting to smack the characters upside the head.
Janice
All of Mrs. Miller's books are a GREAT read!!
Sherri
Just finished this one, liked it too
Raj
Liked Brigham and Lydia's stubbornness.
Ivy
I have to fast forward through the sex scenes, but I like a good love story.
Sunshine
Sunshine marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Montana Dawn (McCutcheon Family, #1)
  • The Tender Texan
  • Short Straw Bride
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Joe's Wife
  • Mail-Order Bride (Mail Order Series, #1)
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • Abby: Mail Order Bride (Unconventional, #1)
  • A Wild Yearning
  • Coming Up Roses
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e ...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...
Logan (Montana Creeds, #1) Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2) Tyler (Montana Creeds, #3) McKettrick's Luck (McKettrick Men, #1) (McKettricks, #6) High Country Bride (McKettrick, #1)