Start by marking “About Time 5: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 18 to 21)” as Want to Read:
About Time 5: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 18 to 21)

About Time 5: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (About Time #5)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Constituting the largest reference work on "Doctor Who" ever written, the six-volume "About Time" strives to become the ultimate reference guide to the world's longest-running science fiction program. Written by Lawrence Miles ("Faction Paradox") and long-time sci-fi commentator Tat Wood, "About Time" focuses on the continuity of "Doctor Who" (its characters, alien races a ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Mad Norwegian Press (first published June 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about About Time 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Time 5

Nina
Mar 24, 2016 Nina rated it it was amazing
I wanted to like the Davison era much more than I did. This had nothing to do with Davison himself, who did the best he could with what he was given and almost saves some awful stories all by himself. The blame can be laid squarely at the feet of John Nathan-Turner and Eric Saward. Many of the problems of the era are summarized very succinctly in this book as follows: "With Ian Levine on board vetting the series for any inadvertent creativity or imagination, Bidmead trying to make Open Universit ...more
Sammy
Sep 29, 2015 Sammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Another solid read in this series. After the slightly-less-engaging fourth volume, Lawrence Miles and Tat Wood clearly get some renewed energy out of the 1980s - an era that encourages much debate and passion on both sides of fandom. (As a result, most critiques are separated into "prosecution" and "defence", which makes for good - if indecisive - reading.)

The cataloguing of details, the list of "things that don't make sense", and the attempts to integrate all the facts into one continuity are a
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/964336.html[return][return]This is the fifth and latest so far published in this superb series of reference guides to Doctor Who. It's the only one that doesn't begin or end with a change of Doctors - it encapsulates the whole Peter Davison era, plus Tom Baker's last season and Colin Baker's first story; it also, of course, covers roughly the first half of John Nathan-Turner's time as producer. It's an era where my memory is variable - I saw every episode of seasons 18 ...more
Dustin Manning
Jul 31, 2014 Dustin Manning is currently reading it
As I continue on my journey of watching every episode of doctor who, this series has been an impeccable source of information and critique aiding me in how to view the show.
As I await the next volume (the final in classic who) I'm rereading the essays held within and I just finished reading one specifically dealing with the "sf vs fantasy" issues arising throughout the series. Phenomenal full stop.
Don
Mar 23, 2008 Don rated it liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
After watching 17 Seasons of WHO, I noticed I didn't really care any more. Was I just bored? Maybe. But as the authors point out with their analyses and behind-the-scenes info, by the end of the Tom Baker era neither the star nor any of the creative forces were really giving it their all.

Fortunately, the advent of the JNT era brought with it some refreshing changes; watching the series, you can notice the immediate upturn in quality, but the fantastically informative and insightful commentary in
Anne
Apr 21, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
Another fine entry in the series. I really enjoyed reading about each episode after I finished watching it (still mostly for the first time). Although I do wish I had a dollar for every time Star Wars was mentioned because then I would have enough money to purchase volume 7.
Wendy
Apr 10, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Whovians
Shelves: doctorwho
Continues the usual high standards of this series. There's some particularly thought-provoking critique in this volume, since it covers a lot of stories that have divided fan opinion, as well as stories that are pretty universally considered to be rubbish.
Stuart Clowes
Stuart Clowes rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Louise
Louise added it
Jun 23, 2016
Steve Traves
Steve Traves marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Judy
Judy added it
Jun 04, 2016
Simon Harper
Simon Harper marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Anthony Baker
Anthony Baker rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Gareth
Gareth rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Robert0
Robert0 rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Mari
Mari is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2016
Jae
Jae marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Tyson
Tyson marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Alun Harris
Alun Harris rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Charlie Oliver
Charlie Oliver rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Florencia Pusnar
Florencia Pusnar marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Makenzie Dolnick
Makenzie Dolnick rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Zachary
Zachary rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Tobias Cooper
Tobias Cooper rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Khadiga Adel
Khadiga Adel marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Lea Anderson
Lea Anderson rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

About Time (7 books)
  • About Time 1: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 1 to 3)
  • About Time 2: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 4 to 6)
  • About Time 3: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 7 to 11)
  • About Time 4: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 12 to 17)
  • About Time 6: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Seasons 22 to 26, the TV Movie)
  • About Time 7: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who (Series 1 and 2)