The Contact Sheet

The Contact Sheet

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Behind every great photograph is a story. For every noteworthy image there are many more images taken before and after "the moment" that are often left unseen to anyone but the photographer himself.

Featuring a diverse collection of original contact sheets from over forty international photographers, The Contact Sheet allows in-depth insight into the subject matter and the...more
Published November 15th 2009 by Ammo Books (first published September 1st 2008)

Victoria
I thought this would be a lot more interesting than it really was. I'm pretty happy I checked it out from the library versus buying it on Amazon. Its designed nicely, but at first glance there appears to be more reading material than there really is (its translated into multiple languages, so really there's only two or three very short and narrow paragraphs about each artist). It was interesting to see the contact sheets behind the masterpieces, but really it was too small of a space (literally...more
Elena
Some great photos. A collection of various photographers' contact sheets. We see the process of a photo-shoot, that eventually lead to some very famous photographs that are so iconic to us today. For instance, I didn't realize that Doisneau's "The Kiss" photo was actually staged. And that so many people thought that Marylin Monroe would never actually pose while reading a book unless it was simulated. I love learning the stories behind the photos, and having viewed more photographs from those mo...more
Neilsone
A fantastic look at the process some world famous photographers went through as they captured some of the most iconic images of the 20th century. For most photographers the contact sheet is an antique artifact no longer used, but this book shows how the technology can influence the process. Sometimes parts of that process are beneficial to the final outcome.
This was good, but not what I expected. It didn't seem like the design and layout of the book enabled viewing of the "contact sheets" (some were slide collections or a few small photographs). Many were too small to make a fuss over.
Anthony Towry
This is a great book for the new photographer. The book features works from a number of well known artists and offers a look at some of the images not selected.

My only complaint is a lack of content on selection and reasoning.
Breean
Really fascinating look at photography from the photographer's perspective. Maybe they didn't print enough, but somehow it is worth a lot more money than my friend bought it for. Thanks Thuy!
Jim
i liked this, there is a contact sheet from wegman so you can think about the choices he made photgraphing and editing. are two other versions of Dorthea Lange's Migrant Mother.
LaLa
Getting to spy on famous photographer's contact sheets feels like getting into their minds and eyes. It's delicious, forbidden and thoroughly educating.
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jul 06, 2014
Trevor Schuettinger
Trevor Schuettinger marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
Todd Webb
Todd Webb marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Caleb Martin
Caleb Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Talibanofbooks
Talibanofbooks marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography Andre de Dienes, Marilyn America The Instagram Book: Inside the Online Photography Revolution Claxton, Jazz Life (Ltd. Artist's Edition #2)