Start by marking “The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography” as Want to Read:
The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography

The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,969 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
This survey features more than 400 works from the Polaroid Collection along with essays by Hitchcock, who illuminates the beginnings and history of the Polaroid Corporation.
Published April 1st 2008 by Taschen (first published February 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Polaroid Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Polaroid Book

The Letters of Vincent van Gogh by Vincent Van GoghAndy Goldsworthy by Andy GoldsworthyGoya by Fred LichtConcerning the Spiritual in Art by Wassily KandinskyChagall by Jacob Baal-Teshuva
Best Art Books
24th out of 116 books — 53 voters
National Geographic by Leah Bendavid-ValThe Art Book by Phaidon PressChina by Tom  CarterPortraits by Steve McCurrySea of Ink  by Niamh King
Best Coffee Table Books
121st out of 206 books — 127 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca McNutt
The Polaroid Book chronicles some of the world's best amateur shots taken by Polaroid instant film cameras in full color, and discusses what made these little cameras and photographs so popular. This is a book that any fan of photography, history, art, nostalgia or technology will definitely want to read.
Joel Neff
Aug 10, 2014 Joel Neff rated it it was amazing
In this age of digital everything, it is easy to forget what a marvel Polaroid film was. To think that here was this thick, easily-marred, heavy-bordered piece of film that would, within seconds, display an image was, in its day, mind blowing.

For a select few generations, the simple, black Polaroid camera was a requisite part of high school and college life. There was one at every dorm party, at every school event, at every haunted house, at every roller rink, at every arcade. They were staples
Addie Cole
May 08, 2008 Addie Cole rated it it was amazing
the news that polaroid film will no longer be produced is the saddest thing I have heard in a while.
Mar 02, 2011 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Posted on my book blog.

Regardless of bad choices in business practice, Polaroid and its cameras remain one of the best things that happened to Photography. Recently, with news of the company shutting down and new enterprises taking over the responsibility to perpetuate the film manufacture, there's been a revival of interest in the polaroid medium, specially for artists and photographers.

This book is gorgeous and of wonderful quality. The essays are interesting, if a little short and superficial
Warren R.
May 23, 2015 Warren R. rated it it was amazing
This is a handy tool for someone interested in a brief history of Polaroid film, early cameras, and the progression to modern Polaroid methods. I found it very interesting to learn about the early Polaroid inventors and enthusiasts, and their efforts to make it a commonly accessible art medium for anyone who has sight. It showcases highly acclaimed artists including Ansel Adams, but also identifies low-profile film artists, and as a result brings in a variety of compositional style, colors, and ...more
Jul 09, 2012 Aurelie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, art
The Polaroid Book, a gorgeous coffee table book, contains polaroid photographs from the Polaroid collections of photography, taken by a variety of artists, such as Andy Warhol, Chuck Close or David Hockney to name the famous ones.
The book is really clean and simple, as it shows a picture by page. There's a lot of different themes and subjects in these polaroids ; they were also taken with different polaroid cameras, which are indexed at the end of the book. Maybe more text would have been welco
An overall beautiful and equally informative book that reignited my love for Polaroid photography. There were several images in particular that I thought were absolutely gorgeous, such as one of a mannequin in Paris where you can see the reflection of buildings in the shop window, or a pale woman lying down at the edge of a vibrant blue pool. It was a good range of new to old photographs, and the essay by Barbara Hitchcock in the beginning of the book worked well in establishing a context and ge ...more
Nov 24, 2014 Robyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, photography
An exceptional collection of Polaroids beautifully reproduced in this fascinating book of a sorely missed photography medium.

The introduction articles make for wonderful reads, and I'm so glad they're included in this book. The photographs are so lovely to search through with their different periods of time and place and photographer.

I only wish that the year the image was captured was included on the page with the photograph, rather than in a seemingly afterthought of an index in the back of
Jul 17, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
I am so glad I bought this book. If you love the visual arts and photography, this is one to add to your collection. The introduction by Barbara Hitchcock about Lands and Adams (Ansel) is insightful. Given the genre of mobile photography and the effects one can do digitally, this book is a reminder of why old-school methods, simple as they may seem, are still relevant particularly in photography - we are only limited by our imagination. Some exceptional Polaroids are included in the book.
Apr 30, 2012 Peterk rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
The book features some real treasures, coming from a multitude of talented photographers. Due to that, not all images are everybody's cup of tea, but whatever makes photography work for you, you're bound to find images in these that appeal to you. As far as value for money is concerned this is a top title, given its low price on Amazon. Recommended!
Oct 08, 2011 Annamarie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
The Polaroid Book is a wonderful collection of different polaroid photographs taken by many talented artists with an array of different techniques. This is something that I would recommend to someone that was interested in photography, or someone that is interested in looking at very inspiring images.
Jan 29, 2015 Roisin rated it really liked it
A great introduction into Polaroid and the many advances and technical achievements over the beginning years. The photographs are stunning, creative and at times so lifelike it actually leaves you staring at the page. Would have loved to have seen some artist comment on their photos however or maybe that's just more eluding the way it is.
Dec 01, 2015 Stef rated it really liked it
A Tumblr dream. Compelling photographs sans filters or other editing, emphasizing the remarkable beauty found by pure chance. A story is evident in every Polaroid, making this a great writing prompt tool.
Sep 30, 2013 Lizzie rated it really liked it
Photos from the collection, covering a wide variety of subjects and techniques. Some abstract, some manipulated. We used to do that in the 80s - I wonder where those photos are now? Somewhere in my garage. Anyway, enjoyable.
Melisa Hernández
May 26, 2015 Melisa Hernández rated it it was amazing
Me encanto!
Hay que tomar en cuenta que no es un libro que te dará tips o con el cual te hable de técnicas, es simplemente una galería de imágenes con su pequeña, pero interesante historia.

Yo ame cada una de las imágenes que presentan.
Jun 30, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I love polaroid pictures and and I love this book! It makes a great coffee table book and conversation starter.
Sep 07, 2011 Netts rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
disappointing. take one look at any polaroid groups on flickr and you will find vastly more creative work.
Aaron the Pink Donut
Jul 27, 2012 Aaron the Pink Donut rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
I'm a sucker fro Polaroid and this book delivers like gangbusters! A huge (400+) collection of Polaroids from a wide array of artist and photographers. must for any fan of the medium
Laura Cashavelly
Dear Polaroid, how dare you take these fabulous pieces of "art-to-be-made" away from the world? At least we have this book (and many others like it) in which to remember the Polaroid. (tears).
Aug 26, 2008 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, artsy
I love it when Zach reserves books for me. Very pretty this one. My fave is the woman laying in the corn field.
May 23, 2008 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
love the polaroid, little disappointed with this book, even if it was packaged in a silver polaroid film bag.
Dust Digital
Apr 24, 2012 Dust Digital rated it really liked it
An instant image and instant reminder that the ploaroid photograph is truly memorable, moving and magnificent.
Aug 07, 2007 katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art lovers and photo geeks alike
Shelves: art-art-history
this book is so good that i brought it to school with me, and that's saying something; i left a gazillion books on my shelf at home, keeping in mind that they'd be waiting for me when i returned.
Luis Marcal
Luis Marcal rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Lavendra Singh
Lavendra Singh rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2012
miss t sharpe
miss t sharpe rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Vilius A.
Vilius A. rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Natasha rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Kostya rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Caroline rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2013