Start by marking “The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography” as Want to Read:
The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography

The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,742 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This survey features more than 400 works from the Polaroid Collection along with essays by Hitchcock, who illuminates the beginnings and history of the Polaroid Corporation.
Published April 1st 2008 by Taschen (first published February 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Polaroid Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Polaroid Book

The Letters of Vincent van Gogh by Vincent van GoghAndy Goldsworthy by Andy GoldsworthyConcerning the Spiritual in Art by Wassily KandinskyGoya by Fred LichtChagall by Jacob Baal-Teshuva
Best Art Books
21st out of 116 books — 49 voters
National Geographic by Leah Bendavid-ValWaiter to the Rich and Shameless by Paul HartfordThe Art Book by Phaidon PressChina by Tom  CarterSea of Ink  by Niamh King
Best Coffee Table Books
113th out of 157 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca McNutt
The Polaroid Book chronicles some of the world's best amateur shots taken by Polaroid instant film cameras in full color, and discusses what made these little cameras and photographs so popular. This is a book that any fan of photography, history, art, nostalgia or technology will definitely want to read.
Addie Cole
the news that polaroid film will no longer be produced is the saddest thing I have heard in a while.
Joel Neff
In this age of digital everything, it is easy to forget what a marvel Polaroid film was. To think that here was this thick, easily-marred, heavy-bordered piece of film that would, within seconds, display an image was, in its day, mind blowing.

For a select few generations, the simple, black Polaroid camera was a requisite part of high school and college life. There was one at every dorm party, at every school event, at every haunted house, at every roller rink, at every arcade. They were staples
Posted on my book blog.

Regardless of bad choices in business practice, Polaroid and its cameras remain one of the best things that happened to Photography. Recently, with news of the company shutting down and new enterprises taking over the responsibility to perpetuate the film manufacture, there's been a revival of interest in the polaroid medium, specially for artists and photographers.

This book is gorgeous and of wonderful quality. The essays are interesting, if a little short and superficial
Warren R.
This is a handy tool for someone interested in a brief history of Polaroid film, early cameras, and the progression to modern Polaroid methods. I found it very interesting to learn about the early Polaroid inventors and enthusiasts, and their efforts to make it a commonly accessible art medium for anyone who has sight. It showcases highly acclaimed artists including Ansel Adams, but also identifies low-profile film artists, and as a result brings in a variety of compositional style, colors, and ...more
A great introduction into Polaroid and the many advances and technical achievements over the beginning years. The photographs are stunning, creative and at times so lifelike it actually leaves you staring at the page. Would have loved to have seen some artist comment on their photos however or maybe that's just more eluding the way it is.
Jul 09, 2012 Aurelie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art, own
The Polaroid Book, a gorgeous coffee table book, contains polaroid photographs from the Polaroid collections of photography, taken by a variety of artists, such as Andy Warhol, Chuck Close or David Hockney to name the famous ones.
The book is really clean and simple, as it shows a picture by page. There's a lot of different themes and subjects in these polaroids ; they were also taken with different polaroid cameras, which are indexed at the end of the book. Maybe more text would have been welco
Oct 20, 2014 Alessandra marked it as to-read
Shelves: art-related
En este libro aparecen trabajos de Jorge Sáenz. Fotógrafo argentino viviendo en Paraguay. Muy capo.
An overall beautiful and equally informative book that reignited my love for Polaroid photography. There were several images in particular that I thought were absolutely gorgeous, such as one of a mannequin in Paris where you can see the reflection of buildings in the shop window, or a pale woman lying down at the edge of a vibrant blue pool. It was a good range of new to old photographs, and the essay by Barbara Hitchcock in the beginning of the book worked well in establishing a context and ge ...more
An exceptional collection of Polaroids beautifully reproduced in this fascinating book of a sorely missed photography medium.

The introduction articles make for wonderful reads, and I'm so glad they're included in this book. The photographs are so lovely to search through with their different periods of time and place and photographer.

I only wish that the year the image was captured was included on the page with the photograph, rather than in a seemingly afterthought of an index in the back of
I am so glad I bought this book. If you love the visual arts and photography, this is one to add to your collection. The introduction by Barbara Hitchcock about Lands and Adams (Ansel) is insightful. Given the genre of mobile photography and the effects one can do digitally, this book is a reminder of why old-school methods, simple as they may seem, are still relevant particularly in photography - we are only limited by our imagination. Some exceptional Polaroids are included in the book.
The book features some real treasures, coming from a multitude of talented photographers. Due to that, not all images are everybody's cup of tea, but whatever makes photography work for you, you're bound to find images in these that appeal to you. As far as value for money is concerned this is a top title, given its low price on Amazon. Recommended!
The Polaroid Book is a wonderful collection of different polaroid photographs taken by many talented artists with an array of different techniques. This is something that I would recommend to someone that was interested in photography, or someone that is interested in looking at very inspiring images.
Melisa Hernández
Me encanto!
Hay que tomar en cuenta que no es un libro que te dará tips o con el cual te hable de técnicas, es simplemente una galería de imágenes con su pequeña, pero interesante historia.

Yo ame cada una de las imágenes que presentan.
Photos from the collection, covering a wide variety of subjects and techniques. Some abstract, some manipulated. We used to do that in the 80s - I wonder where those photos are now? Somewhere in my garage. Anyway, enjoyable.
Laura Cashavelly
Dear Polaroid, how dare you take these fabulous pieces of "art-to-be-made" away from the world? At least we have this book (and many others like it) in which to remember the Polaroid. (tears).
Aug 07, 2007 katie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art lovers and photo geeks alike
Shelves: art-art-history
this book is so good that i brought it to school with me, and that's saying something; i left a gazillion books on my shelf at home, keeping in mind that they'd be waiting for me when i returned.
Aaron the Pink Donut
I'm a sucker fro Polaroid and this book delivers like gangbusters! A huge (400+) collection of Polaroids from a wide array of artist and photographers. must for any fan of the medium
I love polaroid pictures and and I love this book! It makes a great coffee table book and conversation starter.
I love it when Zach reserves books for me. Very pretty this one. My fave is the woman laying in the corn field.
love the polaroid, little disappointed with this book, even if it was packaged in a silver polaroid film bag.
Dust Digital
An instant image and instant reminder that the ploaroid photograph is truly memorable, moving and magnificent.
disappointing. take one look at any polaroid groups on flickr and you will find vastly more creative work.
Flavio Pivaral
This book is an exceptional compilation of Polaroid art. Higly recommended to read and enjoy!
I love having this book within hands reach whenever I just want to see some inspiring images.
Beautiful Pictures, to think that Polaroids are nearly extinct now is heartbreaking.
Lost count of how many times i've read this, and it's still pure magic.
An excellent anthology. Also a great reference for inspiration.
Siva Armanda
cool, i have this book for my holiday present :D
e non le avremo mai più.
  • Woman in the Mirror
  • Vanity Fair: The Portraits: A Century of Iconic Images
  • American Photobooth
  • Helmut Newton: SUMO
  • The Bone House
Andre de Dienes, Marilyn The Contact Sheet The Instagram Book: Inside the Online Photography Revolution America Andre de Dienes: Marilyn Monroe