Start by marking “Avengers: Time Runs Out, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Avengers: Time Runs Out, Volume 2

Avengers: Time Runs Out, Volume 2 (Avengers, Volume V #7)

For Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and the Illuminati, it has all been building to this. After two years of carefully crafting his cataclysmic saga, writer Jonathan Hickman jumps ahead eight months to the grand finale, the honest-to-goodness immediate future of the Marvel Universe — and the day of the Final Incursion! After the revelation of the Illuminati’s desperate, ...more
Published March 17th 2015 by Marvel Comics (first published February 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avengers

Anne
Aug 23, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Geriatric Superheroes
Fun.
Crazy, overwhelming, a bit hard to follow, but...mostly fun.
Honestly, though? I'm just looking forward to finishing this out, and moving on.

Why, you ask?

Well, because I absolutely hate Jurassic Cap. Or Old Man Steve.
Doesn't matter what you're calling him...he sucks.
He's like that ancient dude in your neighborhood, who stands on the front lawn in his bathrobe, and bitches at the kids riding by on their bikes. Why does he bitch?
*shrugs*
They're dinging the bells on their bikes 'too loudly', or
Jeff
Jun 28, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Do you know what one of the biggest problems I have with the Marvel universe?

Reed and Sue Richards snot-nosed, creepy, precocious smarty-pants kids being able to solve the most complex far-reaching issues facing the multi-verse.

Franklin (Come, Galactus, take a walk with me.) Richards:

Valeria (Child of the Corn) Richards:

Now, she’s handing out advice to Uncle Victor as in “von Doom”.

“Uncle Victor(!)” (I just vomited a little in my mouth.) Basically, she passes on the same fortune cookie kernel o
Cheese
Jul 21, 2016 Cheese rated it liked it

I'm confused utterly,again, but I love the stratagems and fighting with all my favourite characters, so all in all very good and going somewhere I hope.
Jesse A
May 01, 2016 Jesse A rated it really liked it
Man, this series better not end up crapping the bed.
Sesana
Oct 13, 2015 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
In some ways, this is another take on the Avengers vs. X-Men and Civil War theme of hero versus hero. Except that it's actually pretty good. Except that every side is allowed to have a point, and that there's enough moral grey area to fully cover every party involved. And there's also the major bonus that this is clearly the culmination of a lot of thought and hard work.

Why three stars? I'm still getting a little lost in the enormous cast. Just as with the previous volume, this might be at leas
Mike
Roberto DaCosta, head of AIM, leader of the free Avengers resistance movement? How freakin bizarre. I like that he's rallying all the remnant Avengers who aren't still on some crazy blood-oath mission to save the world at any cost... Wait. That can't be right. Aren't *all* of these factions of Avengers and villains (*cough* Cabal, Namor's bastard group of nihilists who are the only ones actually stopping incursions eh?) on separate warpaths to save the 616 and beat on everyone else who're also ...more
Andrew
Sep 14, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
Even with the universe on the cusp of destruction, Steve Rogers can't get over the raging Hate-on he has for Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and the rest of those egg heads in the Illuminati. This volume focuses on Rogers' attempts to bring the Illuminati to justice, while Bobby Da Costa and his more chill, practical team of Avengers tries to broker peace so that everybody can go back to saving the universe. This could easily have been another Civil War or Avengers vs X-Men, with all the heroes ...more
Ran
Jun 27, 2016 Ran rated it it was ok
Good news, everyone, I still hate this conglomeration. And the character charts are still stupidly necessary for me: Multiversal Avengers, New Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D. Avengers, the Illuminati, the Cabal, and other players. The sheer mythological heights of this story, including the Alephs, the Builders, the Gardeners, the Mapmakers, the Beyonders, and all the other weird semi-biblical shit just completely lose me.
Sud666
Mar 20, 2016 Sud666 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Ok so I didn't really care that much for vol 1, but I did admit that was because I was fairly confused. I duly admit that I am still a little confused, but no nearly as much as last time. The destruction of multiversal earths continue. There are several teams of Avengers running around-a few of them are even bad. The Illuminati and the Cabal are involved. In fact almost everyone is involved. SHIELD is being run by geriatric Steve Rogers (still not sure what happened to him exactly) and the ...more
Robert
Jun 29, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People Who Like Pythagorean Structures
Another sprawling entry in Hickman's ambitious Avengers project, still mostly set-up with a teensy bit of payoff.

I guess one way to differentiate this arc of Smart Avengers v. Punch Things Avengers is the addition of...Junior Avengers? At any rate, Sunspot splashes some cash and funds a third faction with the goal of reminding the squabbling Steve Rogers, Reed Richards et al. that it used to be about the musi- I mean, the superheroing, man! with predictable results (stuff gets punched).

Meanwhile
Joseph
Oct 28, 2015 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series/story is finally getting kinda sorta better. Still moving at a glacial pace, much of it centering on Steve Rogers and his almost inexplicable hatred for the Illuminati. Captain Marvel comes across as a fascist jerk, though, and Victor von Doom is up to something that may or may not be nefarious.

All-in-all, driving forward here. I guess this will end eventually in Secret Wars, but I swear the story line has run as long as World War 2.
R. Morris
Sep 26, 2015 R. Morris rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Doc Strange is a creep and Doc Doom's quest is giving me those Uh-Oh feelings. Things are moving in dark directions. Old Cap still sucks.
Michael Church
Jun 19, 2016 Michael Church rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel-comics
This was definitely an interesting ride. Things start to pick up speed and there's a definite direction to all of the different story threads that have been started. Plus there's a nice little cliffhanger that's just enough to keep me excited for volume 3.

There are some art issues. Faces have lines for no reason that make me think we have gone back to the 90s. And in a similar style, apparently women have evolved past the need for spines again.

But I managed to overlook that because of the fact
Shannon Appelcline
Hickman's Avengers end-game continues to be phenomenal. He's telling a story that's so multifaceted and so epic, that it's perhaps unmatched it all super-comicdom. Even though I greatly admire the big picture, he really makes this story work with the little character moments. I love Sunspot being the only adult in the room, and the big mover among the Avengers teams. I love Valeria being the smartest person around. I love the entire story of the multiversal Avengers looking for the source to all ...more
Jordan Lahn
This story continues to roll out in surprising ways. Definitely getting easier to follow as the new status quo of the Time Runs Out period is becoming clear.
Aildiin
Jul 07, 2015 Aildiin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Continuation of the previous book ( there's really no point to cut them the way Marvel did except to try to keep a low page count...) and as good if not better.
Jen
Nov 20, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
This whole series has had too many players, but the end is finally in sight. I'm sad about Old Man Steve. He's playing the moral high ground but that ignores that he sometimes didn't, and at one point approved of the greatest known serial killer (Bucky) to take his place as Captain America.
Matt Anderson
May 22, 2015 Matt Anderson rated it it was amazing
Collects Avengers (2012) issues #38-39 and New Avengers (2013) issues #26-28

Set 8 months in the future of the current Marvel Universe, various factions of Avengers are attempting to stop the collapse of the Mutliverse. Unfortunately, these factions are sometimes opposed, so this particular volume features a huge heroes vs. heroes battle.

I originally read these individual issues when they come out month after month.

I really appreciate that Marvel is collected both "Avengers" and "New Avengers" t
Silas
Jul 12, 2016 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't been a huge fan of Hickman's Avengers World and Illuminati from the beginning, but stuck with it largely because I had the issues already. As we got into Time Runs out, characters started acting a bit more like themselves, and it was a bit more enjoyable, and this makes a bit more sense like the previous volume, but Captain America is way off, and we see more characters acting strangely here, as well as the part of Shang Chi maybe becoming like Multiple Man, or perhaps just having many ...more
David Edmonds
The second volume in Jonathan Hickman's big lead up to Secret Wars left me wanting a little. The entire volume leads up to one big battle between the three groups all trying to figure out how to stop the Final Incursion: the Illuminati, the Cabal, and SHIELD. I didn't really feel like a whole lot was going on in this volume leading up to the battle (or maybe it's just that I'm a little burnt out on this story at this point, as it really has been going on for years now), but when each of the grou ...more
Scott Lee
May 18, 2016 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
Hickman continues to pull strings he's laid out since issue one of his corresponding Avengers and New Avengers runs and the story builds in scope and potential disaster in a way that Marvel has never done before. Marvel has always avoided the Crisis/Zero Hour/Infinite Crisis/Final Crisis/Flaspoint/Convergence style explicit universe wide reboot, always opting for at least slightly more subtle ways of accomplishing the same thing. I predicted years ago when Quemas launched the Ultimate Universe t ...more
Garrett
Jun 09, 2015 Garrett rated it liked it
No one does cosmic multi-dimensional operatic epic like Hickman, and this one certainly continues with the inevitability of the previous chapter - but I'm certain that it makes a lot of sense. If you can't turn from your comic to someone who doesn't read them and adequately sum up the plot, then it's possible that it doesn't actually make sense. I will read the ensuing chapters to see if they cast this in a more explainable framework.

Individual scenes are quite good, with multi-dimensioinal Hul
Alex Sarll
"What's an origin, but a story?
What's my story, but a lie?
We all love our stories, don't we?"

At times I'm genuinely not sure if Jonathan Hickman is being brilliant and enigmatic, or getting away with portentous twaddle. Still, there's enough incontrovertibly cool stuff here to maintain the interest. As old allies tear each other apart, or make desperate and horrible gambles to save the multiverse, a faction weary of this counterproductive civil war try to inspire the unity which might make a bet
Mike
May 29, 2015 Mike rated it liked it
Stanley
Jul 02, 2015 Stanley rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, comics
This volume started a bit slowly with a broken Tony Stark in a cage and Doom starting to harness the molecule man. It continues with a number of people and groups preparing for an end game.

Finally, we get the beginning of one end game. Reed narrates a beautifully played game of human chess as he and Captain America go head to head, calling forth group after group in an attempt to one up each other.

The art here was really good at times and there were some really cool moments like Hulk vs. Captain
Alex
Nov 04, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
There are so many changes in the status quo since the end of the Infinity cross-over event. Some characters are gone, new ones are added to the roster. This makes for a somewhat confusing read. There's definitely much more action here than in the previous volume. The art was mostly good. The issue with the best art was probably Stefano Caselli's. Other artists had issues drawing younger characters, so they looked like adults with shorter limbs. All in all, the final cliffhanger has me excited ...more
Davy
Sep 01, 2016 Davy rated it liked it
The end of the universe is getting nearer and the different teams (SHIELD Avengers, Illuminati, AIM-Avengers, the Cabal) are all trying to prevent the inevitable. When AIM aims at striking the cause of the incursions, they meet a very well known face.
Tony Stark hits rock bottom.
Doom is still planning.
and finally Steve Rogers faces his hated Illuminati

Hickman is building further, anything can happen by now.

Adam Fisher
May 14, 2015 Adam Fisher rated it liked it
Umm... okay. I'm lost. Kind of.
I get the basic gist of what's going on, but I feel like I am missing a lot of the motivations behind many heroes actions. How many other issues do I have to read to fully understand what's on?
Come on Marvel, either release this whole story as one omnibus or do more recap at the beginning of issues.

Recommend, but only if you are following what's been going on in the Avengers titles.
Jacob
Jun 07, 2015 Jacob rated it it was ok
Public library copy.

My goodness there was a lot of talking heads in this book. Some people complain about Bendis writing heavy dialogue, but this book does it in spades. I didn't dislike this book, but it paled in content to me. I respect the writer and enjoy lots of his other works, but this book wasn't a highlight insofar as what makes an appealing Avengers story. As I get older I think less and less of the Big 2 and their mainstream comics.
Sineala
Things to enjoy about this set of issues: Tony Stark in a cage (although I am STILL BITTER that the conversation alluded to -- the one that we will see in Avengers #44 -- sounds absolutely nothing like something that could have made Steve or Tony "haunted." STILL MAD). Also angry obsessed old man Steve Rogers is clearly my favorite thing about this part of the Avengers run.

Other than that? Well, uh. Everything's dying. That's a thing, I guess.
  • Uncanny Avengers, Volume 3: Ragnarok Now
  • Secret Avengers, Volume 3: How to MA.I.M. a Mockingbird
  • Secret Avengers: Run the Mission, Don't Get Seen, Save the World
  • Mighty Avengers, Volume 2: Family Bonding
  • Secret Avengers, Volume 2: The Labyrinth
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...

Avengers, Volume V (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Avengers, Volume 1: Avengers World