Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair

Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #1)

This novel is an exciting fusion of a Sherlock Holmes mystery with the Ruritanian world of intrigue and skulduggery of Anthony Hope's novel The Prisoner of Zenda.

Colonel Sapt of the Ruritanian Court journeys to England on a secret mission to save the country from anarchy. His mission is to engage the services of Rudolf Rassendyll once more to impersonate the King while th
Published September 10th 2007 by Wordsworth Editions (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair

Feb 04, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it
This is one of the Wordsworths Tales of Mystery and Supernatural, in fact one of the early editions at that (There have been a number of revisions and changes to the line up including some dramatic changes to the covers).

The story is told in the style of Sherlock Holmes meets the Prisoner of Zenda, I will admit I am familiar with the story of Zenda but I have not read it so I cannot say it is a homage or not but the story does rip along at a fair pace - more so than some of the original Doyle st
Sep 13, 2016 Gerry rated it it was amazing
What could be better? Sherlock Holmes meets the Prisoner of Zenda ... and the answer is 'Nothing'. Arthur Conan Doyle and Anthony Hope combined in one voice by David Stuart Davies. And he does a splendid job of it, capturing the Holmes/Watson relationship admirably and portraying the Zenda characters exactly as they appeared in Hope's original novel.

It is an adventure story par excellence although, of course, there is a mystery in it - where is Rudolph Rassendyll? And it is from this latter poin
Feb 14, 2009 Ray rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes fans
A very successful blending of Sherlock Holmes with Anthony Hope's adventure stories "The Prisoner of Zenda" and "Rupert of Hentzau." In "Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair," Holmes is called upon to prevent an evil scheme involving look-alikes from bringing down the tenuous monarchy of Ruritania. Holmes and Watson must find and rescue Hope's hero Rudolf Rassendyll from being used as a pawn in Rupert of Hentzau's bid to seize the throne for himself. The book is well-written, the deductions re ...more
Oct 07, 2016 Joseph rated it it was amazing
A great book that has both the wittiness of Canon Doyle's Sherlock and the adventurism of Anthony Hope's intriguing novels in a classical style frame that speaks to the modern reader in clarity and simplicity of theme and speech, thus David Stuart Davies, without any question, have carefully mixed the quills of two great authors without destroying or spoiling the art,but with his own voice he have reopened the closed door of creativity made by the two authors not for the aim of razing the past b ...more
Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair by David Stuart Davies

I wish to thank the good people at Endeavour Press for my Kindle review copy of this book. Thanks, Georgina Cutler!

This story is a sort of addendum to The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope.

Walking back to their Baker Street flat, Holmes and Watson are startled when a hansom cab rattles by and halts at their door. The passenger jumps out and begins to rap furiously on the door. He slams up the stairs to 221B, pulls the blinds, and can b
Nov 10, 2014 Tomina rated it liked it
Name: Sherlock Holmes & The Hentzau Affair.
Quick read.
By: David Davies.
Sherlock Holmes novels are one of my favourite and the very first books I read in English. This is not an original novel obviously. It was not written by Conan Doyal, but I still enjoyed it.
I do not recommend this book to people that just started reading English books or people that don't like the Victorian era. This book is not for you. Sorry.
Anyway!! This book is full of awesomeness! 1- As I said,
Mar 15, 2014 Cris rated it it was ok
Davies did an excellent job in re-creating the tone of Doyle's stories. And I thing Davies did an even better job at capturing the voices of both Watson and Holmes.

Unfortunately, I had two major problems with Sherlock Holmes and The Hentzau Affair. The first was that I never became interested in the story. I never cared about the other characters and wasn't particularly interested in seeing how the story ended. Now, that might have been simply that Sherlock Holmes and The Hentzau Affair didn't h
Feb 04, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
"Far off places, daring sword fights, magic spells, a prince in disguise -" No. Wait. That's not my review of the book. That's a quote from Beauty and the Beast. Actually we'll stick with it because it's a pretty darn accurate book summary. I recommend this book to people who enjoy sitting with a cup of tea on a cold winter afternoon and spending a few hours going on adventures without having to leave their overstuffed chairs. Basically I recommend this book to awesome people.

Also - this book i
Mar 04, 2012 Aileen rated it liked it
The kingdom of Ruritania is in trouble and Rupert of Hentzau is again trying to take over the throne. A perfect time to ask for the help of Sherlock Holmes. He and Watson travel to the country and are soon involved in intrigue, disguises and a long-standing love affair. Very hard not to believe this short story was not written by Conan Doyle, his characters and those of Anthony Hope blend seamlessly.
Apr 09, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
An entertaining, quick read and a excellent adventure story. However, I found the writing was a bit weak in some places, and the author tries to squeeze in too many references and lines from the original stories. Still, the writing style felt very authentic and the story was exciting. As far as pastiches go, this one is good.
Laura Verret
Oct 09, 2013 Laura Verret marked it as to-read
Sherlock Holmes meets Prisoner of Zenda - if this book is only half as awesome as it sounds, it'll still be amazing!
Amy Perry
Amy Perry rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Anjum Khan
Anjum Khan rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Jef rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Jessica Tran
Jessica Tran rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Sandra Brooks
Sandra Brooks rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Julie Groves
Julie Groves rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Sanketh Ks
Sanketh Ks rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
LINDA STETTNER rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Tijana rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Jeremy Rees
Jeremy Rees rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2014
Wesam Karam
Wesam Karam rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Virginia Dezell
Virginia Dezell rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
msp425 rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Jung-eun rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
Mike Gabor
Mike Gabor rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Kayla Lacedup
Kayla Lacedup rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Yolanda Del Sol
Yolanda Del Sol rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2014
Aulia Rahmah
Aulia Rahmah rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Albino's Treasure
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Chilford Ripper
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • Encounters of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Execution of Sherlock Holmes: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
David Stuart Davies was born in 1946. He was a teacher of English before becoming a full-time editor, writer, and playwright. Davies has written extensively about Sherlock Holmes, both fiction and non-fiction. He is the editor of Red Herrings, the monthly in-house publication of the Crime Writers' Association.
More about David Stuart Davies...

Sherlock Holmes Adventures (8 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Tangled Skein