Start by marking “Such a Little Mouse” as Want to Read:
Such a Little Mouse

Such a Little Mouse

Explore the world of such a little mouse--from the bestselling author of LITTLE BLUE TRUCK!

"And way down deep in the hole
lives a mouse.

Such a little mouse,
with his smart gray coat,
with his ears pink as petals,
with three twitchety whiskers
on each side of his nose."

With Alice Schertle's sweet descriptive language and touching illustrations from Stephanie Yue, a little mouse
Published March 31st 2015 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Such a Little Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Such a Little Mouse

I SNIFF BOOKS - Beth
Way out in the wide world
there is a meadow.
In the middle of the meadow,
under a clump of dandelions, there is a hole.
And way down deep in the hole lives a mouse.
Such a little mouse,
with his smart gray coat,
with his ears pink as petals,
with three twitchety
whiskers on each side
of his nose.

And thus begins Such a Little Mouse – the of story Little Mouse’s daily outings during the spring, summer, fall, and winter seasons. Every morning, with a one, two, three!, Little Mouse pops out of his hole and g
Heidi-Marie
Adorable pictures. Cute story showing the seasons "in the background" as one wonders why the mouse is collecting what and when he does.

10/12/16 Used in Seasons preschool theme. Very repetitive, but got the point across of the seasons passing and the mouse enjoying it while also working. Not the most amazing book ever to share, but the kids paid attention and that always is a plus.
Kathryn
Apr 15, 2015 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
One can't help but love little mouse with ears pink as petals. The story takes you through the season which I loved but I found the ending abrupt. I wanted it repeat the spring page - "Every morning in spring."
Jason
Mar 23, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
I really liked the illustrations, especially the way panels were overlaid over lovely landscape scenery. But I really wish she'd used a different repeating phrase than "way down deep in his hole." Even if that stuff goes over a kid's head, adults still have to read it out loud...
Janet
Mar 27, 2015 Janet rated it liked it
I especially like the illustrations of this tiny mouse and his home. The mouse goes about gathering food items for the winter he knows that is ahead. During winter in his mouse house one of the activities he enjoys is of course reading. There is a soft sweet peaceful tone to this title.
The Styling Librarian
Sep 29, 2015 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Such a Little Mouse by Alice Schertle, illustrated by Stephanie Yue – The gorgeous peaceful words in this book pulled me through this read aloud. Loved how the story felt to read aloud. Felt like I was reading a classic.
Kimberly
May 18, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness. So sweet.
Samantha Westall
Dec 02, 2016 Samantha Westall rated it liked it
All about a little mouse and what he sees each season as he collects different food for the winter.
Ruth
Oct 05, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The life of "such a little mouse" through the seasons. Repetition and great illustrations moves the story along and endears it in our hearts.
Tasha
Dec 05, 2015 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A little mouse lives in a hole in a meadow under a clump of dandelions. In the spring, he heads out of his home and explores the area around him. He sees a snail, a woodpecker and buzzing bees. He also sees himself reflected in a puddle. And each day he brings home a seed that he stores away in his storeroom. In the summer, the little mouse watches beavers building a dam in the pond, visits a toad, and sees a porcupine. He brings a sprig of watercress home each day and adds that to his ...more
Linda
Sep 15, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Great read aloud to introduce seasons!
Andréa
Jan 28, 2016 Andréa rated it really liked it
I read this book to my 5-year-old neighbor, Everleigh. We had fun with some of the repetitive elements, like counting "one... two... three!" and then yelling "POP!" when the mouse pops out of his hole. Even Everleigh's 1-year-old brother started to sit still and pay attention each time we counted and then yelled "POP!" (which isn't actually written into the text). Everleigh particularly liked repeating the various noises: "rustle, rustle, rustle" and "Honk! Honk!" and "busy, busy, bizzzzz" (and ...more
Jenna
Mar 04, 2015 Jenna rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a First Reads Giveaway.

First, this book is beautiful. The illustrations are bright, colorful, and inviting. There are panels and sequential images to show action along with big fill-the-page illustrations which convey the wide wide world in which the little mouse lives.

The story follows an unnamed mouse as he experiences each season through the year, beginning with spring. We watch as he explores his changing surroundings, meets various other animals, and collects food for the
Barbara
Over four seasons, a mouse ventures from his hole in a meadow and enjoys the lovely day. But he is a hard-working mouse, and each day, he brings back something to eat to store for the winter. After all, there isn't much to eat when snow covers the ground. I really loved the last two pages of the book, which show the mouse enjoying the fruit of all his hard work as he settles back in comfort and warmth to enjoy a good meal and a good book. Readers will enjoy how hard he works, how much he ...more
Jane
Dec 22, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderfully sweet book about the simple pleasures of life and the beauty that can be found all around us in the natural world. Nothing really happens in this book – the little mouse goes about his every day life in the forest, changing his routine in harmony with the changing seasons. But it’s this simplicity that creates such a gentle, reassuring story, which serves as a refreshing alternative to some of the more frenetic, hyper-energetic comedic picture books on the market. Such a ...more
Sara
Mar 27, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book free as part of the First Reads program. I give it three and a half stars for the story and 4 for the illustrations. I LOVE Schertle's Little Blue Truck (one of my favorite books I have bought my daughter) but I only like Such a Little Mouse. It follows Little Mouse through all four seasons as he prepares for the long winter, experiencing the sights and sounds and other animals around him. The story is cute, but the illustrations really bring it to life. Yue makes ...more
J.D. Corrigan
Mar 06, 2015 J.D. Corrigan rated it really liked it
Such a Little Mouse will take your child on an adventure throughout the year as they experience all four seasons through the life and daily tasks of Little Mouse. The story is simple, but it will expose your child to the beautiful of nature, such as the meadow that Little Mouse lives in, and teach them that wide open spaces are home to many different creatures. The illustrations by Stephanie Yue are beautifully drawn and have that wonderful matte finish to them that doesn't scream in your ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 03, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Such a precious storybook and wonderful illustrations to go with it! I received this as a Good Reads First Read book giveaway; I added it to my 3 year old granddaughter's library I've started for her from the time she was born. We read it tonight together and she loved it as much as I did. The little mouse goes through the seasons getting prepared for the final season the author takes us through winter. The mouse gathers different things to store back for winter in each different season. ...more
Kimberly
Mar 08, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to find out I had won this book in a goodreads giveaway. My boys and I are big fans of the Little Blue Truck books and looked forward to reading about the adventures of the little mouse.

This book follows the story of a mouse as he explores the world around him over the course of the four seasons. My boys (ages 6 and 4) were both fans of this story and especially enjoyed the parts where the mouse popped out of his hole and collected little bits in anticipation of the coming winte
Lisa Schensted
May 20, 2015 Lisa Schensted rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations and the exploring of the seasons. The mouse is SO cute and there's lots to see on each page so we have stuff to look at and talk about, which is very fun. You can't really go wrong with a cute book and a sweet little mouse who's got stuff to do and friends to meet and a house to prepare, you know?

More at
Bertha
Apr 14, 2015 Bertha rated it it was amazing
In the middle of a meadow, under a bunch of dandelions, little mouse lives in a deep hole. Each morning he pops out of his hole and goes exploring. Through each season we see little mouse exploring and gathering things he will need to get him through the winter season.
Simple text written by Alice Schertle and bright illustrations by Stephanie Yue makes this an enchanting book about the life of a mouse and his merry adventures.
Connie T.
With warm, inviting illustrations and the story of such a little mouse, readers are introduced to a variety of concepts: the wide world of the meadow versus the cozy underground home, the variety of animals that share that environment, simple repetitive counting (one, two, three), the passing of time from morning to night and from spring to winter, onomatopoeia (rustle, honk, rat a tat).... There's much to love in this simple introduction to the natural world.
Samantha
Apr 06, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing
A quiet book in which readers tag along with a little mouse as he explores nature throughout the spring, summer, and fall seasons and then waits out the winter all snuggled up in his cozy den.

Nice use of refrains, and I really liked the use of panels and vignettes to extend the view of the mouse's world. The details of his mouse world hold an appeal all their own and are pitch perfect in their execution.

Overall, an excellent seasonal read for PreK-2.
May 10, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-fiction
This is a simple story of a little gray mouse (stated in the text) and how he spends his days during each season of year. We see other animals throughout the story carrying out their various tasks, as well. The illustrations are full of details and fully support the text, except for one major flaw: the mouse is brown in the illustrations. Why would an illustrator do that? Cute story to read when studying seasons, just don't mention the gray mouse!
Brenda Kahn
Mar 24, 2015 Brenda Kahn rated it really liked it
Such a Little Mouse is such a charming, little book. He's industrious but has people skills as his explores his environment through the seasons. He is described as having a "smart gray coat but I beg to differ. In the four spot illustrations on that page, as well as on the cover and elsewhere, he is decidedly brown. In the illustrations towards the end of the book, he appears gray so it is perhaps the fault of printing and it is a quibble in an otherwise sweet book.
Delta
Mar 06, 2015 Delta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Such an adorable little story about a mouse gathering food for the winter. And the illustrations are beyond cute. A great story to help explain the importance of planning for the future to your kids.

A great story for the little one in your life.

**I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.**
Elisia Crawford
Mar 03, 2015 Elisia Crawford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I just received this book today after winning it on the first reads giveaway. I read the book immediately to my 4 year old. He and I both loved the book. It was adorable and the artwork was very attractive. My son liked it so much I'm letting him take it to pre-k tomorrow so his teach can read it to the class. :-)
Melissa
Apr 28, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Such a Little Mouse was so fun to read and had very vivid pictures that fit the story perfectly! It follows a mouse through all four seasons. Along the way kids will learn where the mouse lives and what he eats. Not to mention where he goes during the winter. By the end of this book you will love this cute little mouse!
Violet
May 01, 2015 Violet rated it it was amazing
Charming, old-fashioned illustrations with one of the most endearing little mice I have ever seen! A quiet book that glides through the seasons with one little mouse. I appreciated that while the mouse interacts with some other animals, he is essentially alone. There is a peaceful solitude that may be a comfort to children who prefer individual play to groups. It's OK to enjoy time by yourself.
Linda
Here's a lovely story of the seasons for younger children, pre-school to second grade perhaps, about a little mouse preparing for winter, through lovely parts of spring, summer and autumn. Like many for younger readers, there are repeating phrases: "Such A Little Mouse" is one, and he goes out exploring the world while gathering a few tidbits to store for the winter. Sweet words and pictures.
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball (Toys, #4)
  • A Wonderful Year
  • Baby Bear Counts One: with audio recording
  • Who Goes There?
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Swim, Duck, Swim!
  • Wild About Us!
  • Old Mikamba Had a Farm
  • Monkey and Duck Quack Up
  • Raindrops Roll
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!
191218
Alice Schertle has written more than 40 books, mostly for children. A mother and former elementary school teacher, Ms. Schertle is a graduate of the University of Southern California. Many of her most famous works are poetic in nature, though she writes about a wide variety of topics.
More about Alice Schertle...