Start by marking “The Art and Making of Penny Dreadful” as Want to Read:
The Art and Making of Penny Dreadful

The Art and Making of Penny Dreadful

PENNY DREADFULis a frightening psychological thriller that weaves together classic horror origin stories into a new adult drama. The Showtime TV series was created by John Logan and executive produced by Logan and Sam Mendes and stars Josh Hartnett (Sin City), Eva Green (Casino Royale), Billie Piper (Doctor Who) and Timothy Dalton (License to Kill). ...more
Published April 14th 2015 by Titan Books (first published April 1st 2015)

Bookworm Sean
This is a fantastic companion to the television series Penny Dreadful. It is, essentially, a behind the scenes look of how the show came to be. The book covers the creative process of the show and details it from its beginning to the finished product. This provides valuable insight into the reasoning behind the writing, and highlights what the producers wanted to achieve with this amazing show that somehow, yes somehow, manages to bring in elements form Dracula, Frankenstein and Dorian Grey with ...more
Librariasaurus
Sep 27, 2015 Librariasaurus rated it really liked it
I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT PENNY DREADFUL.

I don't even feel bad watching it instead of reading because it's based in gothic literature, my favourite kind.

This particular book is full of amazing full colour photographs and interviews with the actors on theirs and other characters. The author is a renowned making of book author and she has done a fantastic job with this one as well. This is beautifully laid out and just a damn fine book.
Lara (Bookishsolace)
I had this one sitting on my shelf for a while and had never actually read it, I just browsed through and looked at the seriously stunning pictures. But now after the cancelled the show I thought it is finally time to read it and I’m ashamed that I haven’t done it before, because this book is a treasure for every Penny Dreadful lover!.

The book is mostly about season one, but it’s very detailed with beautiful fonts, photography, and interviews with the creative team which I found very interesting
Randee
I love Penny Dreadful and have watched both seasons and am thrilled there will be a third. I literally stumbled on this at my local library~I did not know that this 'Making Of' book existed. It's a must for any fan of the show. Great pictures and information about the show!!!!
D
Nov 02, 2016 D rated it it was amazing
A thing of a beauty if a joy forever... <3
Carly Nicholas
Oct 31, 2016 Carly Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of gothic horror or classic Victorian horror stories/Penny dreadfuls
This is one of my favourite series ever, I love the fact that some of my favourite characters from books are in the series, but I would like to see other characters added. Season one was awesome and season two was good as well, I love the creepy encroaching darkness around every corner so it keeps you guessing, but some of the episodes seemed pointless and nothing much happened after a really exciting episode. Dorian Grey was an interesting character when he was mysterious, but now he is really ...more
Natalie
A must buy for any Penny Dreadful fan, full of interesting details about the conceptualizing of key scenes in the series, characters, with input from the cast, crew and the show's mastermind John Logan. Lots of great photos and concept art. Note: this covers only the making of the first season. I want a book for the second season too!
A.E. Decker
Nov 29, 2015 A.E. Decker rated it really liked it
Lovely pictures and nice behind-the-scenes details that make you appreciate the word that goes into this terrific show. I wish they'd held off making in until after series two, however, as I want to know more about that chapter of the series.
Jon Huff
Oct 09, 2016 Jon Huff rated it really liked it
Finally read through the gorgeous and intriguing Penny Dreadful book. Really well done. The artistry on display in the creation of the series is inspiring. Love this series so much. The attention to detail in its creation is really amazing.
Iulia Draghici
Aug 25, 2016 Iulia Draghici rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cinematography
A really great overview of the production of the magnificent show, Penny Dreadful. Chapters on art production, graphic design, costumes or visual effects are wonderfully interwoven with descriptions and interviews on the main characters. This book is a real visual treat.
Zimon66
Aug 01, 2015 Zimon66 rated it really liked it
Loses a star for doing black text on red background (makes reading a little difficult, and for some, painful) on a few write-ups.
Mark Birchall
Aug 29, 2016 Mark Birchall rated it it was amazing
Beautifully produced book with great photos and insights into the painstaking effort and expertise that went one the making of season one . Definitely one for the fans.
Csilla Batta
Csilla Batta rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Toby
Toby rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Sylwia
Sylwia rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Lily Calder
Lily Calder rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Ever
Ever rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Aims Cyane
Aims Cyane rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Mona
Mona rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
BriAnne
BriAnne rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
Bryan
Bryan rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Heather Koski
Heather Koski rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Ashwings
Ashwings rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
A.Gallacher
A.Gallacher rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Jessica M Riggins
Jessica M Riggins rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Kewaun
Kewaun rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Giulianna
Giulianna rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Books2Movies Club: * Penny Dreadful 01.0 - The Main Thread 7 26 Nov 08, 2015 10:28AM
Books2Movies Club: Penny Dreadful 01.2 - The Second Season 2 9 Jul 25, 2015 02:32PM
Books2Movies Club: Penny Dreadful 01.1 - The First Season 1 8 Mar 28, 2015 07:02AM
Sharon Gosling began her career in entertainment journalism, writing for magazines in the science fiction and fantasy genre, before moving on to write tie-in books for TV shows such as "Stargate" and the 'reimagined' "Battlestar Galactica."
More about Sharon Gosling...