Start by marking “Ancient Places: People and Landscape in the Emerging Northwest” as Want to Read:
Ancient Places: People and Landscape in the Emerging Northwest

Ancient Places: People and Landscape in the Emerging Northwest

These are the genesis stories of a region. In Ancient Places, Jack Nisbet uncovers touchstones across the Pacific Northwest that reveal the symbiotic relationship of people and place in this corner of the world. From rural Oregon, where a controversy brewed over the provenance and ownership of a meteor, to the great floods 15,000 years ago that shaped what is now ...more
Published May 19th 2015 by Sasquatch Books (first published March 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Places

Joyce Reynolds-Ward
Sep 23, 2016 Joyce Reynolds-Ward rated it really liked it
A nice collection of essays about the geology of the Pacific Northwest. I didn't find the book as engaging as THE COLLECTOR, but it was still a decent read, for those of us interested in geology. His explanation of the mechanics of the Bretz floods gives fascinating details of the process, and the essay about terra cotta in Republic, Washington, is something totally new to me.
Mike Slawdog
Jun 21, 2015 Mike Slawdog rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
Disclaimer: I received this book for free as part of Goodreads' First Read program.

As a disclaimer of my own, I am not from the Pacific Northwest and my only experience there is roughly a month I spent around Spokane. However, I am somewhat familiar with natural, Native American, and overall American history.

Jack Nisbet organizes this book into 10 chapters and a coda, with each having its own topic and focus. Most of the chapters involve at least one modern expert, and discuss topics ranging fr
Alan
Jul 04, 2015 Alan rated it really liked it
I just returned from a month on the southern Oregon coast, and was therefore intrigued when I had a chance to read this book that focuses on aspects of the history of the Pacific Northwest.

This book does not provide a chronological history of the Pacific NW, but is, rather, a series of vignettes from the region. I must admit that, the author's definition of the Pac NW and mine differ somewhat. My narrower definition is Wash and Ore, B.C, sometimes Idaho and even parts of western Montana...but th
Christian
Spokane-based writer Jack Nisbet is a treasure for anyone interested in the ways natural history, landscape and human cultures intersect in the Pacific Northwest. His previous books have traced the route of Northwest fur agent and geographer David Thompson, profiled pioneering naturalist David Douglas and his many discoveries and meditated on the unique flora and fauna of the dry side of Cascadia. His latest title journeys around the Inland Empire in search of “genesis stories,” events from ...more
Wendy Feltham
Jun 13, 2016 Wendy Feltham rated it liked it
Jack Nisbet writes beautifully, and researches his books thoroughly. I loved The Collector. And I really enjoyed parts of Ancient Places, but perhaps one needs to know these lands to fully appreciate the detailed information he provides. I think if I were familiar with Eastern Washington, I would have rated this book much higher. Since I'm not, a more detailed map and photos would have greatly enhanced this book. My favorite chapters were about the lomatium roots and the ants, the natural ...more
Diane
Feb 15, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it
Jack Nisbet is one of my favorite authors and speakers. This book is a collection of essays about places and people in the (mostly)inland Pacific Northwest. My favorite was Terra Cotta Man about Leno Prestini and the Washington Brick and Lime plant in Clayton Washington (north of Spokane). Other essays I partcularly liked are on importance of Lomatium in the native diet, the Willamette meteorite, and Wes Wehr and StoneRose fossils near Repuiblic, Washington. The essays all make me want to go out ...more
Barbara V. Vaughan
Scientific History

This book gives you a geological look at the eastern part of Washington, and Oregon. It relates stories on Native Americans and others who lived through the 1872 earthquake and left other observations of changes in the landscape.
Lila Morris
Apr 13, 2016 Lila Morris rated it really liked it
Learn all about the Willamette Meteorite, ice age floods, biscuit root, the Columbia River, Native early settlers and indigenous peoples and more! Entertaining essays on some of the human, geological and natural history of Washington's dry side and other PNW places including BC.
Mike Cook
Dec 29, 2015 Mike Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-us
Each of the ten chapters is basically a monograph, independent of the others, but all on a theme of Northwest history, be it prehistorical geology or recent past biography. They are all interesting and educational. I learned a lot more about things I thought I knew.
Delta
Jan 12, 2016 Delta rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2016
An interesting look into the Pacific Northwest. I'm not much into geography or history of a region, but these stories make it much more interesting. History lovers will surely enjoy.

**I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.**
Fredrick Danysh
The Pacific Northwest is a place of mystery from fire in the sky to ice caves. The author visits and writes about many of these places and about numerous people, both historical and present day. A good narrative that was a free review copy and well worth the read.
Judy
Aug 10, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it
Jack Nisbet is a fine writer. I love his work. In this book he correlates people, story and the landscape of Eastern Washington in a series of intriguing essays. Above all, his science is impeccable.
Amy
Dec 20, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book but as with his others, he just isn't that good of a storyteller. The stories keep coming up short.
Skye
Sep 30, 2015 Skye rated it really liked it
A fascinating book that blends history and reality to tell remarkably interesting stories about the Northwest.
Don  Kent
Jul 19, 2015 Don Kent rated it liked it
I am a big fan of this author and I think he has a genuine fell for the Pacific NW. However, I found this collection of essays a bit uneven. Still, a good read overall but not his best.
Anne Henning
Aug 21, 2016 Anne Henning rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
10 chapters/essays about Inland Northwest/Columbia Basin places. Interesting to learn things about the geology, biology, and cultural history of where I live!
Stan
Stan rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Lorraine Nicholson
Lorraine Nicholson rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Silea
Silea rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Kasey Rackowitz
Kasey Rackowitz rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Janice Sheufelt
Janice Sheufelt rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Jan
Feb 21, 2016 Jan marked it as to-read
Recommended by Diane McKenzie
Brandon Husby
Brandon Husby rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
  • Ivory Vikings: The Mystery of the Most Famous Chessmen in the World and the Woman Who Made Them
  • The Sultan's Shadow: One Family's Rule at the Crossroads of East and West
  • Once They Were Hats: In Search of the Mighty Beaver
  • Wolves in the Land of Salmon
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • Mrs. Adams in Winter: A Journey in the Last Days of Napoleon
  • The Long Way Home
  • Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds
  • West of the Revolution: An Uncommon History of 1776
  • The First Frontier: The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery, and Endurance in Early America
  • Sweet Dream Baby
  • Hideout (Richard Chrisite, #5)
  • Looking Beyond the Ivy League: Finding the College That's Right for You
  • The Bridesmaid Guide
  • Nobody Home: Writing, Buddhism, and Living in Places
  • Just a Corpse at Twilight
  • Billboard Man
  • One Man's Paradise (Kevin Corvelli #1)