Start by marking “Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse, #12)” as Want to Read:
Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse, #12)

Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse #12)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,172 ratings  ·  100 reviews
"As he drove his chief down to Kidlington, Lewis returned the conversation to where it had begun. "

"'You haven't told me what you think about this fellow Owens - the dead woman's next-door neighbour.' "

"'Death is always the next-door neighbour, ' said Morse sombrely. "

The murder of a young woman . . . A cryptic 'seventeenth-century' love poem . . . And a photograph of a my
Published March 16th 2007 by Pan (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Death Is Now My Neighbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Is Now My Neighbor

Jean
Death is Now my Neighbour is the 12th novel in Colin Dexter's "Inspector Morse" series; another enjoyable and very well-written read, in the series focusing on the crimes solved by Chief Inspector Morse, and Detective Sergeant Lewis. It is not vital to read the books in order - each one can stand on its own - but a regular reader will tend to become involved with Morse's own personal story. Both the slow reveal of facts about him, plus many emotional nuances, may be lost if this penultimate nove ...more
Susan Johnson

Morse is starting to see his own mortality in this book when he is diagnosed with diabetes. He is hospitalized in a health crisis and starts to reevaluate his life. Not too much, of course, as the first thing he does when he is released from the hospital is to get an alcoholic drink and have a cigarette.

The mystery surrounds a murder of a young professional shot in her house through the kitchen window. Surrounding the murder is the selection of a Master at Oxford by one of two local p
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Allie Whiteley
Very cleverly written. Well plotted and entertaining. This might be an odd book in the series to begin with, but I know the TV programmes very well. You can hear John Thaw & Kevin Whately in the dialogue! Oddly, since I've watched the series often, I didn't remember who the murderer was and Dexter kept me guessing until at least very nearly the end. Excellent stuff - I shall be reading more of them!
Leslie
In this penultimate book in the Inspector Morse series, Dexter has clearly been influenced by the success of the TV show -- Lewis is now explicitly stated as being younger than Morse despite the fact that this contradicts statements in the earlier books in the series. Morse continues to have health issues in this book, but in some regards his character is reminiscent of that shown in the earlier books. This is most evident in his scattershot approach to solving the crime.

I thought that the myst
Heather Fineisen
Inspector Morse is good for a guessing game to the end. And he's a cranky bastard. Love it. What do you love? Er-him, as Endeavor would have it, er--me. I started reading Colin Dexter just recently after enjoying Inspector Lewis on PBS. I highly recommend to those who love a good pretentious literary maze. This is not a light read by any means. Enjoy!
Brian
This was my fisrt Inspector Morse novel to read, the only one I've been able to find State-side, and I absolutely loved it. This is book 12 of 13 so some of the sub-plots I was not privy to. But It was an amazingly well written and planned mystery. Kudos to Mr. Dexter. I am actively hunting all of the series now.
Arwen
Just re-read this, more slowly this time. A very good, elaborate plot and I love (as always) the interaction between Morse and Lewis. And it's so nice that Morse gets a bit of luck with his lady - though he also gets the first signs of his demise.
Amanda Patterson
Colin Dexter at his best.
I miss Inspector Morse, his crosswords, Oxford and his drinking problem.
Jim
Pretty standard entry to the Morse series. Dexter established his template early on and never really saw fit to go beyond it. That said, it's a pretty good template. In part, it's this sense of reliability that makes the series a pleasure.

Dexter gives the reader a contrasting pair of protagonists in the grumpy, intellectual, fainty alcoholic Morse and the loyal, dogged Sgt. Lewis. British mysteries have a long tradition of the otherworldly brainbox and the common-sense, common man sidekick; Hol
Neena
This was my first book by Colin Dexter and this would not be last. The starting was slow and infact it takes almost 100 pages to really get into the story. However, writing is superb.

The best thing about Colin Dexter’s writing is that he made Morse completely human. Chief Inspector Morse is not perfect in every sense. While reading this book I was forced to compare him to Armand Gamache and Adam Dalgliesh of others eries. While they both are perfect to utmost degree, Morse seems more real. He
Bryan Higgs
I have, of course, enjoyed the Inspector Morse series on TV. When I found an inexpensive Kindle version of one of the original Morse books, I decided to try it. I'm always looking for a good detective/mystery series to sink my teeth into, but have difficulty finding any that really appeal to me.
Unfortunately, this one didn't make me want to read more. Here are some reactions to it:

1) Morse in the book is much crankier and nastier than in the TV series -- nothing surprising there, of course. Whil
Bettie☯

Read by................... Terrence Hardiman
Total Runtime.......... 8 hours 53 mins

Description: As he drove his chief down to Kidlington, Lewis returned the conversation to where it had begun. 'You haven't told me what you think about this fellow Owens - the dead woman's next-door neighbour.' 'Death is always the next-door neighbour,' said Morse sombrely. The murder of a young woman ...A cryptic 'seventeenth-century' love poem ...And a photograph of a mystery grey-haired man ...It's more than en
Isca Silurum
My god I thought I was pompous and pretentious!

That said I read it, but do feel TV series had much to do with that.
Margie
My first foray into the Inspector Morse series. I enjoyed it very much. Good use of red herrings.
Brian Oldham
Lovable. Well written. We learn Morse's first name. What a wonderful way to spend time
Susan
I've been enjoying reruns of the Inspector Morse series on PBS, so I thought I'd read the books. This one is the twelfth of Colin Morse's series, and I also read the previous one. The parts of the books that have been used for the series seem to be taken and rearranged to make different stories on TV. Interesting. The book's blurb raves about the books being better than TV because they let you know Morse so much more deeply. Not really, there were just more examples of his personality in the ver ...more
Jim
One of my favourite ever Morse novels, and that's saying something, from 1998.
Philip Benge
One of the very best detective writers.
Ellen
Requires Your Undivided Attention, December 28, 2012

This review is from: Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse)
Colin Dexter has never let me down. Inspector Morse and Lewis are a team again ...perhaps a bit trying on Lewis's patience. None the less they are together as they attempt to come to grips with the murder of Rachel, a young woman, living alone. But was Rachel James actually the intended victim? Alone at night looking through the back window with both Rachel and her next door neig
Jill Holmes
Mystery-writing above all other types seems to require an understanding of human nature and behaviour down to the most disgusting and devious of details. When murder occurs in the classic, elegant City of Oxford amongst the academics the City, the University of Oxford and its colleges, and the far wider world place on high but unmerited pedestals, the contrast is great visually (even in the mind's eye) and viscerally. Colin Dexter knows Oxford from its great traditions to its pubs and roundabout ...more
Melissa
The mystery part of this story was pretty good - the kind where you can pretty much figure out who did it but it's trickier to figure out how it was done. I really like Dexter's narrative style, how he occasionally speaks almost directly to the reader as an aside. It's a difficult thing to pull off without becoming condescending, but Dexter manages it well and with humor.

The character of Inspector Morse is what really drives the story, and it is a shame because I really don't like Morse all tha
Linton Lewis
Colin Dexter DEATH IS NOW MY NEIGHBOR AUDIO 1996 **** Immaculately read by Terrence Hardiman

Slip into a bit of real upper class educated England presented by Mr Dexter and read by Mr Hardiman. The characters and their by-play enhances the solving of the two murders in this classical "whodunit." The convoluted investigation requires the full force of Inspector Morse's generous intellect. Colin Dexter proves to be a tremendous force in the art of writing Crime Fiction.
Matt Jones
It's all getting a bit samey now - adultery, jealousy, Morse being considered loveable even though he's thoroughly objectionable (if brilliant and nice occasionally!), Morse being irresistible to women, lots of intellectuals showing off their grammar which is really Dexter showing off his.

That said, it's a cracking read - pacy, intricate, clever, absorbing. Not a wholly satisfying or convincing end, for once, but a decent book overall.
Paul
This is my third Morse mystery. I just like the Oxford setting, the banter between Morse and Lewis, getting to know more of their life stories. Morse' method of fitting the murder together like the crossword puzzles he quickly solves entertains. The novel is #12 of 13 and Morse health is catching up with him. At the end of the book, he sends a postcard from Bath with his (until this time) first name.
Think I'll read another in the near future.
Mark Wilson
Very enjoyable

This was my first time reading an Inspector Morse novel; I'd seen some TV adaptations (BBC/PBS), but didn't know what to expect from the actual text. The book was a fun read, with a light touch and just a few dabs of sentiment to add some heft. The mystery itself was so-so, but the characters' by-play, and the clever writing, were enough to persuade me to try another installment soon!
Cathy Simonds
Have watched all the BBC productions of Morse, Lewis and Hathaway with great joy. This is the first of Dexter's books I have actually read - and only (to be honest) because I got it for $1.99. Enjoyed it, but don't think I'll read more. Each chapter begins with an erudite quotation. I realized quite quickly that the Dexter is far better read than I.
Courtney
The first Morse novel I've read--I found it in a used bookstore. I enjoyed Dexter's turn of phrase and characterization. The mystery held my attention. This book marks the moment where Morse begins his darkest spiral, despite Lewis' valiant attempts to save him from himself.
Frances L. Ehrig
College Decisions

I enjoyed the television series about Morse and I enjoyed reading this tale. It had the usual twists and turns of the mystery tale, always evident in a Colin Dexter novel. I never guess "who done it." A good read.
Anna
An odd and rather sad mystery. I like the way Dexter mixes real bits of the solution up with the false hypotheses Morse comes up with along the way. They provide some lovely red herrings to what might otherwise be a fairly straightforward mystery.
  • Dialogues of the Dead (Dalziel & Pascoe, #19)
  • The Best Man to Die (Inspector Wexford, #4)
  • Unnatural Causes (Adam Dalgliesh, #3)
  • The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)
  • Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders
  • One Last Breath (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #5)
  • Set in Darkness (Inspector Rebus, #11)
Norman Colin Dexter, OBE (born 29 September 1930 in Stamford, Lincolnshire) is an English crime writer, known for his Inspector Morse novels.

He started writing mysteries in 1972 during a family holiday: "We were in a little guest house halfway between Caernarfon and Pwllheli. It was a Saturday and it was raining - it's not unknown for it to rain in North Wales. The children were moaning ... I was
More about Colin Dexter...

Inspector Morse (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse, #1)
  • Last Seen Wearing (Inspector Morse, #2)
  • The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (Inspector Morse, #3)
  • Service of All the Dead (Inspector Morse, #4)
  • The Dead of Jericho (Inspector Morse, #5)
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse, #7)
  • The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8)
  • The Jewel That Was Ours (Inspector Morse, #9)
  • The Way Through The Woods (Inspector Morse, #10)
Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse, #1) The Way Through The Woods (Inspector Morse, #10) Last Seen Wearing (Inspector Morse, #2) The Remorseful Day (Inspector Morse, #13) The Daughters of Cain (Inspector Morse, #11)

“Facing the media is more difficult than bathing a leper. —MOTHER TERESA OF CALCUTTA” 0 likes
“Those who are absent, by its means become present: correspondence is the consolation of life. —VOLTAIRE, Philosophical Dictionary” 0 likes