Start by marking “My Family Adventure (Sofia Martinez)” as Want to Read:
My Family Adventure (Sofia Martinez)

My Family Adventure (Sofia Martinez)

Follow 7-year-old Sofia Martinez as she deals with her family and daily adventures.
Published February 1st 2015 by Picture Window Books

To ask other readers questions about My Family Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Family Adventure

Crystal
Review copy: ARC via Netgalley

Sofia Martinez is a girl with a plan. There are three chapters in this first book of the series. Picture perfect involves Sofia trying to stand out from her two sisters. She feels that nobody notices her. Sofia is not one to just sit back and let things happen though. She makes a plan and sets about solving her problem. This is a theme throughout.

I loved the bright colors in the illustrations. They brought a smile to my face. The design includes a lot of dark pink
The Styling Librarian
Sofia Martinez series - My Family Adventure by Jacqueline Jules - Release Feb, 2015 - Realistic Fiction- Early Chapter Book- Wonderful spunky character that Freddy Ramos's fans will enjoy. I was so excited to discover that Jacqueline Jules had a new early chapter coming out! I love Sofia's solution to mistaken identities with school and how she deals with doing chores. This is a fantastic cultural connection book as well with wonderful word exposure and a wonderful family as well. I can't wait ...more
Elaine
Seven year old Sofia Martinez is the star of this children’s story book. The book actually contains three different short stories, each of which is divided into chapters and each telling about some aspect of her family life. Throughout the stories short key Spanish terms are also used and there is a Spanish Glossary to explain the meanings of these terms.

This early chapter book has beautiful, vivid illustrations which bring the characters and situations to life. In each story, Sofia tries to ove
Suz
Mar 05, 2015 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
Fans of Katie Woo and Kylie Jean have a new girl to add to their reading list. Sofia Martinez may be the youngest of three sisters, but she makes up for it with her outgoing personality. Whether she is putting together an outfit for school picture day, planning her abuela's birthday party, or finding a runaway mouse - Sofia takes the lead and her sisters and cousins join in the action to make it a family adventure.

These early chapter books from Capstone's Picture Window imprint are full of laugh
Kate
Mar 25, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Three short stories about Sofia, the youngest of three sisters, and her extended family living nearby are presented in this very early transitional chapter book. Each story is three chapters long, and the typeface is large with lots of blank space between each line. In that respect it's more akin to an easy reader than a transitional book; fans of Rainbow Magic and Magic Tree House will find this too easy. It's a great stepping stone for kids who have outgrown Henry and Mudge or Katie Woo-level ...more
Amy Rae
Nov 24, 2014 Amy Rae rated it really liked it
Sofia Martinez is a little girl with big energy--and a lot of heart. Over the course of three stories, she tries to stand out among her sisters, make a pinata (without permission), and catch a runaway mouse. While the first story was merely okay for me, I really liked the other two.

I like the approach to including Spanish within the text as well: it's bolded and set in a different colour, making it easy to spot, but the reader has to go to the back glossary for a specific definition. I think th
Mary Louise Sanchez
Seven-year-old Sofia Martinez wants to stand out in her immediate family. In three short stories, labeled as chapters, Sofia does just that.

An excellent transitional book for young readers who want short chapter books. There are brief cultural references, like Spanish words and sentences highlighted with different colors--most of which can be understood in context, but there is a nice glossary.

This book helps address the need for Latino/a protagonists in children's books. A fun read and an att
Mary Ann
Sofia likes to stand out in her family. She does all sorts of things to get noticed -- from wearing a huge hair bow to making her grandmother a piñata for her birthday. Family drama adds relatable humor throughout. Spanish words and phrases, printed in pink, appear throughout the text and dialogue. Plenty of full color illustrations and clear text design make this a great choice for kids new to chapter books.
Mary Prado
Jan 27, 2015 Mary Prado rated it it was amazing
CBZ Review--

My Family Adventure is a cute adventurous book about the Martinez family. Sofia wants to look different. She wants to stand out and doesn't want to look like her sisters. She figures out a way to look different. There are several chapters and each tells a funny and sweet story. The vocabulary in this book will help to expand a child's mind and open a dialogue as parents help to explain what these Spanish words mean. The art work is very colorful and fun.
Marisa
Jul 03, 2015 Marisa rated it it was amazing
Love that this book has 3 stories in it!
Elizabeth
Fiery passion seems like a bit much, but Sofia is definitely a spunky girl. This is the antidote to Emma on the Air. Sadly the Lexile is fair bit lower, but I really enjoyed this book. Enough to buy a copy for my library.

Sofia always seems to be getting into little scrapes and they always lead to some funny scenes where she has to enlist the help of her sisters or cousins. This particular book is a compilation of three smaller, shorter chapter books, but they’re so short otherwise it doesn’t mak
Heidi
Sofia Martinez is a fun little girl who wants to world to notice her. In each of the three stories in this short early chapter book, Sofia sets out with the best of intentions. In Picture Perfect, Sofia is determined to make her family take notice of her. But when switching picture frames with her older sister doesn't do the trick she has to come up with something else that will have her family oohing and aahing over her upcoming school pictures. In Abuela's birthday, Sofia decides she wants to ...more
Carolyn Wilhelm
Feb 06, 2016 Carolyn Wilhelm rated it it was amazing
This s Sofia Martinez book is about her family includes a story of how she cleverly plans and surprises her family about picture day at school. It has three other stories as well, including one about a special pinata for her grandmother’s birthday. It is realistic fiction. Spanish words and culture are sprinkled throughout the story which I really like!

This book was given to me for Multicultural Children's Book Day 2016 and is being donated to a Minnesota school.
Mindy
Cute story. I read it with my 7yo. We appreciated that the story included simple Spanish words and phrases. Most were familiar to my daughter who is learning Spanish in school, and others could be guessed by context. There is a glossary for reference as well.
Dora
Feb 20, 2016 Dora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
Absolutely loved the character Sofia! Glad this is a series!

Book has 3 short stories that are then organized by chapters. Great illustrations and font to highlight the Spanish language.

Recommended for 1st-2nd grade.
Melanie Swider
I like how this series includes Spanish words within the stories in a different color and includes a Spanish glossary at the end of book too.
Michelle Halber
Aug 03, 2016 Michelle Halber rated it really liked it
Perfect for girls ready to read chapter books. Adventures of a young girl with older sisters and cousins. Short contained stories with a few Spanish words.
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Lena Time
Lena Time rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Anna Taylor
Anna Taylor rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2015
W.
W. rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Soup
Soup rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2014
The Bumble Girl {Margie}
The Bumble Girl {Margie} rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
Nativida
Nativida rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Julie Esanu
Julie Esanu rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
662012
I am a children's author, teacher, librarian, and poet.
My books include Zapato Power: Freddie Ramos Takes Off, Unite or Die: How Thirteen States Became a Nation, No English, Sarah Laughs, Benjamin and the Silver Goblet, Duck for Turkey Day, and Never Say a Mean Word Again. Please visit me at http://www.jacquelinejules.com
More about Jacqueline Jules...