Start by marking “Understanding the Mind: The Nature and Power of the Mind” as Want to Read:
Understanding the Mind: The Nature and Power of the Mind

Understanding the Mind: The Nature and Power of the Mind

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This comprehensive explanation, based on Buddha's teachings and the experiences of accomplished meditators, offers a deep insight into the nature and functions of the mind. The first part describes different types of mind in detail, revealing the depth and profundity of Buddhist understanding of human psychology, and how this can be used to improve our lives. The second pa ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Tharpa Publications (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding the Mind

Khenpo Gurudas
As we have come to expect, this wonderfully written Buddhist masterpiece provides practitioners with an insightful, concise and clear understanding of the mind, while providing a handbook and roadmap to nurture positive states of mind, such as love, compassion, effort and patience for the benefit of all sentient beings.

It's not for the faint of heart, as Geshe-la forces us to look at our minds, and expose even its most subtle nuance, delusion, and habituation.

A refreshing change from the duplic
Jamie George-holland
I was able to get this book before it even hit the bookstores because it was being sold at the Meditation Center I go to, which was founded by the author, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. Wow, such an phenomenal book. Explains the mind in such detail and clarity that you feel certain only a highly realized master could write such a book. I came to study Buddhism because I was having so many problems with anxiety, that it was effecting my entire life. Buddhism helped me understand the process of anxiety and ...more
Thomas
This book got me sucked into the world of Buddhism for a while. For those interested in the the classification and function of the mind according to those friendly Tibetans, Kelsang Gyatso provides a nearly flawless reduction of Dharmakirti's Valid Cognition. Definitely provides an understanding of the foundation of Buddhist psychology, if you dare at all to enter that converstation. Be prepared for self-referential definitions...
Garydtee
Profound, moving, and challenging. GKG pulled out the big guns in writing this book that deals with the nature of the human mind and it's relationship to ordinary and ultimate reality. I have returned to this one many times.
Charles
Written by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso ; a Bhuddist who started the Kadampa Tradition in the UK. An excellent insight into a meaningful pathway that illuminates the heart of Bhuddism so far and utterly removed from populist mythologies of Bhuddist concepts that are widespread commercially and thus ideologically in mainstream culture. Utterly fascinating and a treasure to truly behold, even with the notions that I choose to disagree with. Gyatso teaches about gross and subtle mind, states of attachment ...more
Marlen Sauras
I bought this book in a buddist retire when it just have come out. I really love it, it's claire, very well structured, ful of wisdom and knowledge. A book to be read again and again, a book to study and make into practise if you really want to take advantage of its content.
To most of us that are completly ignorant of the nature and function of the mind, find it far more interesting than other psicological views, richer and straight to the point.
I highly recommend it, whether you are a buddist
Randi Taylor-Habib
I've been "currently reading" this one for years, there is a class to break it down, it details the Tibetan view of the mind, comparing the views of different schools (monasteries) in how we cognize what we perceive as reality through our sense powers and mental projection. Also breaks down how karma works to create our reality, something not covered by many optimist tomes.
Tomk
I studied this book in Foundation Class. It is steep sledding on your own. The second half which covers mental factors is more accessible. I think it is best studied as part of a class with commentary. We took nearly 2 years for this study.
Linda
Finished July 2011.
Neha Israney
Neha Israney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Amarantine
Amarantine marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Ashmartin
Ashmartin marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Amelia Garone
Amelia Garone marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Cindy Shaha
Cindy Shaha is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2015
Merccedes
Merccedes marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Lauper
Lauper is currently reading it
May 14, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Bonnie Sink
Bonnie Sink marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Desiree Wills Velazco
Desiree Wills Velazco marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Apr 26, 2015
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Karla
Karla added it
Mar 09, 2015
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • Reflections On A Mountain Lake: Teachings On Practical Buddhism
  • Buddhism With An Attitude: The Tibetan Seven-Point Mind Training
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a Meditation Center
  • Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World
  • The Heart of the World: A Journey to the Last Secret Place
  • Be the Person You Want to Find: Relationship and Self-Discovery
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Introduction to Tantra: The Transformation of Desire
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully accomplished meditation master and internationally renowned teacher of Buddhism, particularly know for the revival of the Kadampa school of Tibet.

From the age of eight Geshe-la studied extensively in the great monastic universities of Tibet and earned the title ‘Geshe’, which literally means ‘spiritual friend’. Under the guidance of his Spiritual Guide, Ky
More about Kelsang Gyatso...
Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - Volume 1 Sutra Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - (Volume 2 Tantra) The New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful Eight Steps to Happiness: The Buddhist Way of Loving Kindness