Start by marking “Blair's Nightmare (Stanley Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blair's Nightmare (Stanley Family, #3)

Blair's Nightmare (Stanley Family #3)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Stanley kids and their stepsister try to keep secret a dog that Blair finds, keep David out of the clutches of the school bully, and find out if some escaped convicts really are nearby. Sequel to The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case.
Published November 1st 1999 by Atheneum Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Blair's Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blair's Nightmare

Chris
Nov 21, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my least favorite book in the Stanley series, and yet I'm giving it 3 stars anyway, which is saying a lot about Zilpha Keatley Snyder as an author. She really knows how to create fun and interesting characters. I just wish she'd created a plot I could get more into here.

Basically, this is a story about a dog. An enormous one, appropriately given the name Nightmare, as initially everyone believes that Blair is not telling the truth when he claims a giant dog visits him every night. Once t
Chris
Feb 17, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myles
Sep 28, 2011 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff
Blair gets used more for creepy village-of-the-damned prescience in this outing, which is nice.

It's the end of the summer after they've returned from Italy (the 'famous' kidnapping isn't referred to, it really is best forgotten) and David and co. have been trying to convince their parents to let them have another pet, to no avail.

David is still our narrator, but Snyder has given him something interesting to think about, that is, a bully. But there's more going on: Amanda's become even more boy
Wooden Horse
The last few chapters had me laughing out loud. A refreshingly fast read with just the right number of sticky situations for the family to go through. It almost makes me want to trade my Pug for an Irish Wolfhound.
Maria
Oct 14, 2008 Maria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the third installment in the Stanley family series (although I forgot this and read it second this time). The children have aged and seem to have grown out of the magic for the most part, although there is still a sense of mystery. I also thing the characters seem more one dimensional which is a shame since it seems like they would get richer the more time was spent writing about them. One nice thing about the books though are the black and white illustrations. They are nothing at all li ...more
Emily
Jun 09, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the latest Stanley family novel, 6 year old Blair has been sleepwalking lately and talking about seeing a dog no one else can see. Also, some escaped convicts might be hiding in the woods nearby. Meanwhile, David is dealing with a bully at school. The blended family also grows closer throughout the course of this novel.
I really admire Snyder for being able to tell a tale that is interesting and plausible and, while meant for children, is also enjoyable to an adult reader.
Phoebe
Feb 07, 2010 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Stanley adventure, this time involving Blair and the dog everyone thinks is imaginary, escaped prisoners, and David's unlikely friendship with the school bully. Well written and funny. Out of print.
Craig
Sep 17, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2011
Again, the fear of criminals on the loose and adolescent traumas via bullies come together to make for a really solid book about handling fear and anxiety in children.
Enere Aits Bonite
I really love this book. This is the first book of Zilpha Keatley Snyder I've read.'twas amazing!
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his books.
Chicklet
Read in elementary school and found it good and scary.
Kymlee
Kymlee marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Emily Anderer
Emily Anderer rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Khiya Bush
Khiya Bush rated it did not like it
Mar 21, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Jackie W.
Jackie W. marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Sara
Sara added it
Feb 13, 2016
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Hannah Parker
Hannah Parker rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Mikayla Fullmer
Mikayla Fullmer rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Ellen Hansen
Ellen Hansen rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 17, 2016
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
  • Melusine
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • Taking Care of Terrific
  • Nobody's Family Is Going to Change
  • I and You and Don't Forget Who
  • Encyclopedia Prehistorica Mega-Beasts Pop-Up
  • Far to Go
  • Beowulf: Dragonslayer
  • Favorite Norse Myths
  • Freddy and the Men from Mars
  • Time and Mr. Bass (Mushroom Planet, #6)
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
  • Class President (An Apple Paperback)
  • Herstory : Women Who Changed The World
  • Hex Witch of Seldom
  • Daphne's Book
  • One-Eyed Cat
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game," "The Headless Cupid," and "The Witches of Worm," Zilpha Keatley Snyder has been writing books for children since 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies," was published. Since that time she has completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for young ...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...

Stanley Family (4 books)
  • The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1)
  • The Famous Stanley Kidnapping Case (Stanley Family, #2)
  • Janie's Private Eyes (Stanley Family, #4)