Start by marking “Things That Creep: a collection of short, fantastical horror stories” as Want to Read:
Things That Creep: a collection of short, fantastical horror stories

Things That Creep: a collection of short, fantastical horror stories

Crazy, wild, and fantastical, these short stories are sure to give you something to shiver over and think about on those late nights.

A widower wakes up to see the Gown She Was Buried In laid out beside him on his bed.

There's a sound down A Dark Hallway, and she doesn't want to find out what it is.

A man's crazy wife pays him a visit and teaches him there's nothing like A
Published May 27th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Things That Creep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things That Creep

Maria Kay
Oct 28, 2014 Maria Kay rated it it was amazing
These five short stories by Jen Ponce are a perfect read for October, although, I do believe these tales will stay with me for a lifetime. Since I have read other books by this novelist, I knew Things That Creep would be just as creepy. I was creepified! And I still am!
I can't walk down the hallway in my house without thinking of A Dark Hallway. I can't look at a penny without thinking of One Smart Penny. I can't pick out something to wear without getting chills over Gown She as Buried In. I'm a
Roxie Prince
Apr 18, 2016 Roxie Prince rated it liked it
This review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

I'm going to briefly summarize each story as spoiler-free as possible with my review.

I read this collection as part of my #yearofindiewomen

The Gown She Was Buried In
This is a story about a widower who constantly sees his dead wife after he buries her. No one believes him except his daughter who sees her, too. Then, one day he wakes up with the dress she was buried in with him in his bed.

I'll be honest, I didn't really "get" this story. When I f
Robert W. Meyerholtz
May 19, 2015 Robert W. Meyerholtz rated it really liked it
Hitchcock like thrillers

Jen Ponce will no doubt be well known soon as a literary powerhouse for the thriller genre. I hesitate to use horror as that conjures images of monsters, Gore and in your face action. What her stories do is create a puzzle, one that has you wide eyed , turning the pages not wanting to put it down. It. Then the stories cleverly leave you with ironic twists. It reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock Presents or The Twighlight Zone. Often a lesson in human behavior and sometimes a
kozettekaysmith
Feb 12, 2016 kozettekaysmith rated it really liked it
Things That Creep

Well, I was looking for more Creepy,Scary in these stories but I was a little disappointed. A couple were good but I would have liked to see more scarred to turn the next page and goose bump stuff. It takes a lot for me to be Scared stiff and this didn't do it for me. Thought the Author has a good imagination.
kozettekaysmith
Wanda
Apr 13, 2016 Wanda rated it really liked it
Definitely Some Skin Crawling Stuff Here!

The stories are a little short, and one or two of them left me feeling like I missed something, but as a whole it was a good read. Would really like to see this author go a little deeper into these and republish at a later date, but that's just my opinion!
Rhonda Moser
May 09, 2015 Rhonda Moser rated it really liked it
Very interesting collection of short stories

I liked almost every story but the Dark Hallway, the Dress She Was Buried in, and One Smart Penny were my favs. I recommend it.
randi fishenfeld
randi fishenfeld rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Marsha coram
Marsha coram rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Catherine Truitt
Catherine Truitt rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2015
Bill Herman
Bill Herman rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
geri resko
geri resko rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2015
Sylvia Ford
Sylvia Ford rated it did not like it
Nov 26, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Heather Makover
Heather Makover rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Donna Jacobs
Donna Jacobs rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Yvonne Lalor
Yvonne Lalor rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2015
Mallory Ronan
Mallory Ronan rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Gloria
Gloria rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2014
Brenda Ann Carrigan
Brenda Ann Carrigan rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2016
Lorissa Austin
Lorissa Austin rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Dewayne Dees
Dewayne Dees rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2014
William Helton
William Helton rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
mel toland
mel toland rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
alexandria
alexandria rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Hello! I'm a writer from Nebraska who enjoys fantasy of all kinds. Stories don't always seem quite as much fun without some element of magic.

I started out writing romances because that's what my best friend and I loved to read. (My other best friend and I wrote about our science teacher being an alien and hard boiled detectives.) I have a varied and exciting inner fantasy life, you might say.

My fi