Start by marking “A Chicken's Guide to Talking Turkey with Your Kids about Sex” as Want to Read:
A Chicken's Guide to Talking Turkey with Your Kids about Sex

A Chicken's Guide to Talking Turkey with Your Kids about Sex

You're already establishing a track record with your kid by how you listen, by what you say when you're angry, and by how you treat your spouse. We like to surprise parents who ask us, When do I start talking about sex? The answer is, you've already started. self-image may seem, you can do it--and you must. Your child's future depends on it. Fortunately, you've got plenty ...more
Published March 16th 2004 by Zondervan

Be the first to ask a question about A Chicken's Guide to Talking Turkey with Your Kids about Sex

May 06, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Colleen
Shelves: parenting
I cannot even begin to describe how eye-opening and thoughtful this book is. It provides exceedingly practical advice about how to talk to your elementary-aged kids about sex, from the premise that "sex" discussions are really just one of many discussions you will have with your kids everyday, in an openly communicative relationship. Sam and I read it together on a road trip and we immediately tried out several suggestions on the book, such as:

*Teaching our kids how to operate the washing machin
Aug 29, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Hard for me to believe that it's already time for me to be reading this book. But questions are being asked! Found the book to be helpful as it told you exactly what to say to your kids specific questions. Not being a boy, it also helped me understand what will be happening (and when) to my boys. I also liked the author's philosophy that it's important to establish a means of constant communication with your kids versus having the "one time talk". The whole idea of using items in your kitchen to ...more
Jamie Pennington
Mar 21, 2014 Jamie Pennington rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Yes I have children at that age now. Fairly good book. Lot of parallels with the Parenting with Love and Logic book.
Sep 12, 2016 C.G.Koens rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-book-list
Prescription-ism. The theory is good, the practical application felt dated and forced. In an attempt to promote "natural" conversations, the authors took it to the extreme - down to object lessons to explain body parts. I'm all for talking with your kids, but I didn't walk way with much from this book.
Jan 20, 2012 Chrissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alexis Adamson
I absolutely loved this book. With a young boy smart beyond his years, I figured I'd better prep for questions. I've always believed that parents should be open and honest with their kids, and not be uncomfortable about anything they really need answers to. Dr. Leman and Ms. Bell have not only given great guidance on how to approach sex education with your child, but with the same effort and comfort as you would teach your child manners, or that stealing is wrong.

Another great bonus it the hygie
Sep 29, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Good advice for those conversations we really need to have...
Sep 03, 2010 Tracey rated it it was amazing
So far the begining is an overview of what to expect, remembering your teenage yrs, comparing. I like the christian perspective. I like the 1st lesson of focus on above the head before tackling below the belt. I know sex, drugs, peer pressure etc. is going to start battling us this year for BRandon & I'm looking forward to learning the best ways to help him through these yrs safely.
LOVE THIS BOOK! Every parents should read~!
Jul 31, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
It has taken me over a year to finish this book but it was well worth it. Very informative and helpful in the navigation of this thing called puberty. I had no at-home instruction or "talks" when I was growing up so I was completely oblivious as to how to proceed. Straightforward information and helpful hints in dealing with a topic that should be as easy as dealing with a scraped knee; if only it was that easy...
Oct 31, 2013 Meghan rated it it was amazing
This was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm glad I checked it out. Especially helpful to me were the ideas of talking about "head up" changes (i.e., skin, hair, etc.), and so on, so that conversation doesn't seem out of nowhere. Very factual and gradual, the book makes a good case for being upfront and making these conversations a priority.
Apr 14, 2009 Erik rated it liked it
Just what I have come to expect of Leman: informative and funny, all in a distinctive Catholic (but ecumenical) way. And Ms. Bell fit right in well. I need to start early and often to develop a rapport with the kids that is open and honest so I am there when it counts, even if I do not know exactly what to say.
Jul 09, 2012 Mandynewman rated it it was amazing

This turned out to be a great book for me as a parent who received NO sex education from my parents. I now feel better equipped and more confident in giving my children what they need to know in order to pursue a life of purity.
May 04, 2014 Candace rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-on-kindle
Great advice from a great Christian author. Very practical and informative.
Nov 28, 2012 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Great book about explaining puberty and sex to kids, in a Biblical way.
Vinecia Haugsness
Aug 12, 2013 Vinecia Haugsness rated it it was amazing
Very helpful and practical! Recommend to all parents. Love Kevin Lehman
Jul 22, 2012 Seth rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Every parent should read it!
May 25, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing

Charla Echlin
Charla Echlin marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Tima marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Melissa Paisley
Melissa Paisley rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
Dana rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Erica rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Bryan rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Shellyann marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Laura is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Jennifer Hatcher
Jennifer Hatcher marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Parenting is Heart Work
  • Hide or Seek
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • On Becoming Preschool Wise: Optimizing Educational Outcomes What Preschoolers Need to Learn
  • Why a Daughter Needs a Dad: A Hundred Reasons
  • Story of Jonah
  • Just Give Me a Little Piece of Quiet: 60 Mini-Retreats for a Mom's Soul
  • Raising a Daughter After God's Own Heart
  • The Complete Works
  • Setting Boundaries® with Your Adult Children: Six Steps to Hope and Healing for Struggling Parents
  • Breathe: Creating Space for God in a Hectic Life
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Boundaries with Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives
  • No More Perfect Kids: Love the Kids You Have, Not the Ones You Want
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • 5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Son
Dr. Kevin Leman is an internationally recognized psychologist, author, and media personality. He was the first to popularize Adlerian psychological concepts in the United States, which are based on birth-order and family dynamics. Dr. Leman holds Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate degrees in clinical psychology from the University of Arizona.

Dr. Leman is the founder and president of "Couples of P
More about Kevin Leman...