Start by marking “Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
Collected Poems

Collected Poems

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,502 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A revised edition of this major writer's complete poetical work

"And I who was walking
with the earth at my waist,
saw two snowy eagles
and a naked girl.
The one was the other
and the girl was neither."
--from "Qasida of the Dark Doves"

Federico García Lorca is the greatest poet of twentieth-century Spain and one of the world's most influential modernist writers. Christopher Maure
Published August 12th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Collected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Poems

The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Poetry of Robert Frost by Robert FrostThe Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonThe Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Complete Poems by John Keats
Best Poets
65th out of 273 books — 329 voters
A World of Verse by Christopher  ShieldsDuino Elegies by Rainer Maria RilkeSelected Poems and Fragments by Friedrich HölderlinPoems of Schiller by Friedrich SchillerAutumn Sonata by Georg Trakl
Poetry
76th out of 408 books — 256 voters

More lists with this book...

Rinda Elwakil
Jul 08, 2015 Rinda Elwakil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

فلننفجر غضبًا أمام لوركا..

عيناك واشيتان، لوركا..مخيفتان .

to be reviewed.
Eric
Apr 30, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing
I lugged this beast across Cuba 11 years ago. I'm curious to go back the Hennepin Country Library and see if that copy still has all the sand and stains it accumulated (though if it wasn't checked in the year after I retuned it, it was probably de-accessioned).

'Guadalquivir, high tower
and wind in the orange groves.'

It was very strange to be traveling in a foreign country, overwhelmed with impressions, and to be in the midst of bookish raptures at the same time. You open your book, and look down
Karim Hikal

أنت فينوس فى عباءة مانيلا
تفوح بنبيذ مالقا وموسيقاها
Sean A.
Oct 28, 2012 Sean A. rated it it was amazing
just about as awesome as i remember when i read it is a younger, teenage poet. full of dark mystery, the moon, the half moon, spikenard, adultry, horses and so forth. the love poems are longing and enigmatic and a lot of it contains ample scenery of days that are lost to me. roving countrysides and mysterious horses and horseman. yet if you read this whole thing or make yr way thru lorca's collection, watchout to when he comes to new york! the anxieties of modern life are there in full effect al ...more
Lynette
Nov 04, 2011 Lynette rated it it was amazing
I think this book will be on my "currently reading" shelf forever - similar to the way some people keep a Bible on their nightstand... I love picking this up - and having the Spain of the 1920s & 30s wash over me... "Dry Land, quiet land of immense nights ... (Wind in the olive grove, wind in the sierra.)....." sigh...
Clare
Feb 24, 2011 Clare rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
If you are going to get a book of Lorca's poetry, this is the absolute best you can get. It's a bilingual edition and it contains pretty much everything other than his plays. I wish I had been around to see him speak and perform his poetry.
Todd
Apr 18, 2011 Todd rated it it was amazing
In an interview during the Spanish Civil war Lorca was asked if he was revolutionary. To which he responded, "All poets are revolutionaries.". Great works from a great artist.
metaphor

You turn the moon red,
Make captive poplars moan,
But you’ve come
too late!
I’ve already scrolled up the night
Of my tale on the shelf!

Without any wind

While bear of the wind!
You come over my flesh
Shivering with boreal
auroras,
with your cape of phantom
captains,
laughing aloud at Dante.
Oh polisher of the stars!
But you’ve come
too late.
My ca
Jsavett1
Mar 20, 2015 Jsavett1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you highlight or underline every word, phrase, sentence and stanza on a page, you might as well just put the mind that wants to hold them poems in the hand to rest.

Lorca is an incantatory force of nature.

I'm happy that I've overcome my squeamishness about reading poetry in translation. It's not that I was wrong--what I've just finished reading are NOT the poems Lorca actually wrote. All translations are poems the translators wrote inspired by the original poems. The poems themselves have
Peter Crofts
May 26, 2015 Peter Crofts rated it really liked it
Wow, a massive volume with a great introduction. I don't know what it is with me but I'm always going for the collected works of any poet I'm interested in. I don't know if that is always a good idea as it can be quite overwhelming to encounter a volume such as the size of this one which exceeds a thousand pages. That being said it also features the original language on the facing page which I always like to have when I hit thorny areas, it's also great fun to occasionally try and translate a po ...more
Taka
Jun 19, 2014 Taka rated it liked it
Solid Collection—

I was only interested in Lorca's poetry just before and after his masterful Poet in New York, and this collection confirmed for me that Poet in New York is indeed my favorite work by him, and he's not quite the same afterwards, and though there are flashes of similar amazing verbal acrobatics and alchemy in his earlier works (The Gypsy Ballades), they are not as heightened, extreme, or mind-blowing than those he performs in that masterpiece of his.

Apurva
Aug 01, 2007 Apurva rated it it was amazing
One shouldn't write a review of Lorca's poems.
Since, an entire body of work of another poet can fall short from meeting the range and depth of one of the poems of Lorca. My review would be like a Neanderthal appreciating the thickness and flatness of the book of complete works of Shakespeare/Lorca to sit on it (For whatever private reasons a Neanderthal might want to sit in one place.. we shouldnt let our imagination wander too far!).

Beth
Sep 25, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The biographical and literary introduction that begins this book is worth reading in itself to familiarize readers with Garcia Lorca's life and art.

The poems themselves, provided in the original Spanish on the left-hand page and in English on the right-hand page, are both simple and rich, pastoral and passionate. They are like eating a sensually ripe, warmed fruit that is sometimes sweet, sometimes tangy.
Sunny Cooper
Jul 25, 2014 Sunny Cooper rated it it was amazing
Spanish deep songs, gypsy lore, laments, mad love, scandal, revolutions. What's not to adore? If you know that Lorca's body was riddled with bullets and beaten with rifle butts in a cemetery and that still today no one knows where his body rests, his poetry will take on the specter of a ghost who still has things to say.
Lucas
Dec 21, 2010 Lucas rated it it was amazing
a cock blooms in a well. it is small and bright. then it gets big. it shoots up the well & kisses children yelling down. they retain the memory of this flashing cock forever. the word "oblong" is beautiful to them forever.
Julio Pérez
Siempre está en el sofá junto a El libro de los abrazos invitándome a tomar pausa... siempre estarán en currently reading.
Gladys
Aug 23, 2015 Gladys rated it it was amazing
My heart breaks and my soul mourns every time I read his poetry and think about how young he was when he was murdered.
Heba TariQ
Jul 02, 2009 Patrick T. Randolph rated it it was amazing
This collection makes the soul dance in great grins1
Garth Mailman
Sep 04, 2013 Garth Mailman rated it really liked it
When writing in Spanish, a language where most nouns end in either an 'a' or an 'o' the greater challenge would be the attempt to avoid rhyme. In English his translators make no attempt to duplicate his rhyme scheme. I look forward to hearing this poetry read in its original Spanish. In English one gets only a sense of the poet's thought. The poems are deeply personal and reveal a rather depressive personality of one who is self-absorbed and obsessive. One begins to understand why he would not k ...more
Reem Ms
وشعر مخضرّ ..
***
يا نيسان الإلهي ..
الذي يأتي ..
محمّلاً بالشمس والعطور ..
املأ الجماجم المزهرة ..
أعشاشاً من ذهب ..

Alexis Rivas
Jan 11, 2015 Alexis Rivas rated it it was amazing
Stole the hardback copy from the local library because my paperback edition was falling part (not to mention the hardback is out of print). I did, however, replace the copy, albeit with the paperback edition, haha. Anyway, Lorca is ineffable.
R. Peligro
Aug 22, 2014 R. Peligro rated it it was amazing
No soy un gran lector de poesía, pero la poesía de García Lorca me pareció espléndida. Llena de vida y color, aunque con una suerte de frío soplo de muerte, y de una oscuridad escondida entre líneas. Tal vez sólo sea mi propio espíritu reflejado entre los poemas de Lorca, pero demonios, qué buenos son.
Stacy
Aug 13, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I am absolutely in love with Lorca's work. The emotion, honesty, and vivid descriptions are like none other. I will read this again and again. Lorca is a force of nature.
Mustafa Mou
ألفُ مُهرٍ فارسيّ أسلمَ للنوم
في ساحةِ جبينكِ المُضاءَةِ بنورِ القَمَر

Mil caballitos persas se dormían
en la plaza con luna de tu frente...
David
Dec 23, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spanish-lit
Lorca, oh Lorca. Sweet playful Lorca. Erotic Lorca. Lorca of Love. Lorca of love's lost and found. Oh yes Lorca!

Lorca of visual puns, words and sensual senses. Lorca of a Spanish towns and countrysides. Lorca of music, de la guitarra y voces dolorosos.

Lorca of Dali and Whitman and New York City and The Tamarit Divan. Canciones y sonetos y odas y suites y poemas.

A las cinco de la tarde. Eran las cinco en punto de la tarde. Señor Ignacio Sánchez Mejías. It was five in the afternoon R.M.

Este libro
Diana
Jan 02, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing
read these poems with the idea that some of them would become puppet shows! they are beautiful in their imagery alone, but thinking in terms of literal illustration made me focus on them in a way that i might not other wise have.
tom! i want this book back!!!
Victoria Nicholson
Mar 29, 2015 Victoria Nicholson rated it did not like it
I just skimmed this book in English translation. The imagery bored me of the ones I read. One of the poems actually offended me. " It was let your eyes turn orange the color of LOVE" That sounds so pychotic in my opinon and elitist.
Gwynne Harries
Nov 14, 2012 Gwynne Harries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This has to be a seminal collection for the non Spanish speaker/reader. At times I find it hard to work through but a book that I will keep coming back to. It has a nice memory as I bought it in Granada!
Joseph
Oct 29, 2009 Joseph rated it it was amazing
"Let there be a panorama of open eyes and bitter inflamed wounds.
Out in the world, no one sleeps. No one. No one.
I've said it before. No one sleeps."

• The Collected Poems, 1957-1987
  • Concerning the Angels
  • Without End: New and Selected Poems
  • Collected Poems, 1912-1944
  • "A"
Born in Fuente Vaqueros, Granada, Spain, June 5,1898; died near Granada, August 19,1936, García Lorca is one of Spain's most deeply appreciated and highly revered poets and dramatists. His murder by the Nationalists at the start of the Spanish civil war brought sudden international fame, accompanied by an excess of political rhetoric which led a later generation to question his merits; after the i ...more
More about Federico García Lorca...

“Paint me a heaven of love with your bloodied mouth.” 0 likes
“Yo me salgo desnudo a la calle,
maduro de versos perdidos.

I step naked into the street
ripe with lost poems.”