Start by marking “The People Code: It's All About Your Innate Motive” as Want to Read:
The People Code: It's All About Your Innate Motive

The People Code: It's All About Your Innate Motive

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  59 reviews
In his life-changing book, Dr. Taylor Hartman introduces you to the People Code and why people do what they do. The concept of Motive is a fresh method for analyzing your own innate personality as well as that of those around you. You then have the ability to utilize that knowledge to improve workplace and personal relationships. As an author, psychologist, and leadership ...more
Published September 18th 2007 by Scribner (first published April 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The People Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People Code

This book came highly recommended to me, but I have to say I was underwhelmed. The basic premise is that everyone's personality can be defined by a unique combination of 4 innate motivations. Hartman also argues that you are born with your personality, and while you may be able to make small changes throughout your life, your core personality and motivations do not and can not change. This premise, in my opinion, is a gross oversimplification of people.

Yes, it was interesting to read about the b
This book is so much fun. My very "red" husband read it and was criticizing it, saying that it can't possibly pinpoint every individual. He then read Hartman's words about red personality types who would be skeptical of the book and he realized that "red" pinpoints his personality to perfection. We both learned so much about our personality types, our relationship with each other, our relationships with others, and about what we can do to improve our lives. What a great book. I would highly reco ...more
Jon Brewer
You have to remember, this is just one theory on motivation and personality. It has many similarities to other psychological theories, just uses colors to describe the personality types. I can see a lot of truth in it, but I can also see some of the truth in Freud but it doesn't mean it's all true. Perhaps I need to read it more carefully, but the applications he suggested didn't seem to motivate me to change.
I finally finished The People Code today. I've been reading it off and on for a while. It has been interesting to read. Understanding your core motive is the first step in understanding yourself. And it's difficult, even near impossible, to understand others without understanding yourself.

The People Code has exposed me to myself in a way no other book has. Before reading it I thought I was unique, different, geeky, and outside the norm. After reading it I identified behaviors and ways of thinki
Darren Burton
I have always wondered about what makes people tick. The People Code is the first personality theory that explains the movivations of a personality type. The Myers-Brigg personality theory which has 16 different categories, does a good job discussing "how" a certain personality type acts 90% of the time, but it never addresses the issue of "why" the person acts the way they do.
Here are the different personalities motivation: Red's core motivation is power. Blue's core motivation is the desire fo
I've always found human behavior and personality very compelling so I thought this was a fun, interesting book. I read it when it was The Color Code, for a human development class, during high school. This time my work used it as a training day.
I feel like the four colors, which are really motives, cover any person I've ever met. It was spot on for my personality and what motivates my behavior. I also gave the quiz to my hubs and kiddos. Although I could already identify them, it was nice to re
I *mostly* read this, skimming over some parts and focusing on the parts that were most applicable to me and those closest to me. I think there is a lot of truth and insight here and good ideas on how to handle differing personality types. I give it four stars (instead of five) only because any theory that boils all of humanity into four types just sets off my "oversimplification" red flag. But definitely worth reading.
The People Code is a very insightful look at how our innate personalities affect how we interact with others and how they interact with us. Dr Hartman first takes a clinical approach with a personality quiz and focuses on the positive and negative attributes of each personality type. I liked, however, that after he studies the strengths and weaknesses of the different personalities he focuses the rest of the book on how the varying characteristics can influence each other for good and bad. Dr Ha ...more
Absolutely fascinating book! Not the kind of book I would normally pick up. Books starts out with a 60 question quiz leading to discovering your personality "color". Are you a red, blue, yellow, or white person? And then the remaining 90% of the book discusses relationships, traits, examples, work habits, etc of each of the "colors". Not the kind of book you will want to read cover to cover, but if you are interested in discovering more about yourself and your spouse/family, this book is amazing ...more
My company had a training with the Color Code at a retreat we had last fall. I loved the training and I loved the book as a reference and a learning tool. I couldn't give the book 5 stars because it wasn't one that I couldn't put down (there is no gripping story but it is packed with helpful information). As a reference and self-help book, it is well written and intriguing.

The Color Code has helped our office understand each other, our patients and how we work in our respective job responsibili
Pretty interesting and fun. Although I don't know that anybody is all one color or the other (I was a two-color combination), a lot of the descriptive characteristics were spot on. Gives a little deeper insight into how people behave and think - including myself!
Awesome book! Helped me understand things about myself and my relationships with others that I've been trying to understand for a long time. EVERYONE should read this book! Don't just take the test. READ the book!
Jami Weight
This book changed my life!! It broke
People down in away that helps you understand them better and how they work and think. Save yourself some therapy and read it!!
Geniya Oransky
A lot of this "innate motive" theory is obviously not based in fact and quite hard for me to get through (despite it's quick-read writing style) due to my lack of trust rooted in my inability to suspend disbelief - this was not meant to be fiction!
This is a different perspective on personality typing. The Color Code groups people based on their motivators, which are present in your earliest experiences.

It's fun and interesting, and somewhat helpful when thinking about how to interact with others. But it's a bit too black and white. I also think that Hartman actually chooses to be provocative in his descriptions of types to sensationalize his theories and make them more attractive to the mainstream. I also think it gives people an "out" fo
Everyone needs to read this book. So helpful with understanding different personality types in your life. Its scary how spot on he is describing you. My mom and I are very different people and she had me take this test when I was younger to help understand me more. Our relationship improved when she understood the different priorities I had and reasons for doing things they way I did. Very helpful in understanding why people are the way they are and how you can deal with issues.

My husband and I
This book is very biased towards the author's personality. I started to notice when I realized how much easier it was to recognize the unhealthy personalities in each color than the healthy personalities from his descriptions in the colors. There's actually a section in each color's chapter of strengths and weaknesses and the weaknesses hugely outnumber the strengths in every color except his own, yellow.

As far as personality categorization, it's pretty good. It's just the presentation that is l
I liked this book as I like all the personality books. I don't think that you need to read this one and the Color Code. They are basically the same. So I didn't read this book in its entirety. But I think it is a great resource for discovering about your inner motive and those with whom you are in contact with on a daily basis. Books of this kind helped me to understand that the way other people do things isn't necessarily wrong.
I really enjoyed "The Color Code" and this updated version is great. I don't really like to categorize or pigeonhole people--we're all unique and complex--but this book does give insight into the rainbow of personalities that surrounds us. My kids have enjoyed discovering their "colors" and it makes for some interesting discussion. A book that gets parents and teens communicating gets a high rating from me!
Very interesting personality decoding system based on a person's needs and motives using colors. Most people are a blend, but you'll be surprised how your test comes out. According to my hairdresser, it's required reading in several match-making internet sites. I can see why. If you're looking for something fun to do this holiday, decoding all your loved ones and all your relatives and friends, go right ahead!
Nicole Modugno
This is a great book, and is very spot-on about the different personalities. It really helped my husband and I understand each others' personalities and the reasons why we react a certain way when the other does something. I've also started to notice myself watch other people and identify their personality type. Although, I'm still trying to learn how to treat them in specific situations.
I think this is a very important book. I think Mr. Hartman is on to something very fundamental, that there is something innate that drives us as to action, and by understanding that motive in ourselves and others we can better learn to relate and foster understanding in our relationships. What is more important than learning tools that can help us in the important relationships in our lives?
This book is pretty interesting. It has been helpful to a certain extent in understanding myself and others more fully. I would recommend it as a good read. I am not a follower of Hartman, but it definitley opened my mind to my own strengths and weaknesses and my own possibilities in creating understanding between myself and others.
Melody Armstrong
Aug 07, 2008 Melody Armstrong rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
Recommended to Melody by: my husband
I am in love with this book! It has helped me understand people a lot more then I used to. It's also helped me understand my "red" husband and my 2 kids who are a "blue" and "yellow".
It's a total must read for everyone, it helps you deal with different people, and helps you understand what makes certain people tick.
The People Code and its creator provides an essential viewpoint on personality psychology that is not what I'd consider an end-all nor something that cannot be understood in combination with other aspects or elements that the realm of personality psychology has to offer. It's a pretty important viewpoint, if you ask me ..
Apr 04, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is interesting in analyzing personalities
Now that I read this book I am obsessed with labeling people by their colors. It's helped me be more tolerant of others and myself. Instead of thinking, "Man, that person is so rude!" I think, "It's okay, they are just red and reds are insensitive sometimes." It sounds cheesy, but it helps me have more charity!
Sabine Won
If you ever wonder why people do what they do, this is a must read. Incredibly accurate way of understanding different personalities. Use it to figure out your relationship with your family, friends, spouse, children... the personality questionnaire is fun too!
This is a very insightful book on understanding your own and others motives and personality. I think it can be a very valuable tool in building relationships with all kinds of people. I really like who it helped me understand myself a little better too.
Awesome book! Has a quiz inside to find out what "color" you are. Describes the different colors and how to deal with them. I love this book! Each one should read this before getting married! In my opinion it would help a lot and even prevent problems.
I haven't had enough time to fully test out the tools and techniques presented in this book, but my first surface level comparison of what he writes and how I see myself leads me to believe I will be trying or applying aspects of his code.
  • Friendship Crisis
  • The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35
  • How to Change Anybody: Proven Techniques to Reshape Anyone's Attitude, Behavior, Feelings, or Beliefs
  • How to Study
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures (Hardcover)
  • The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say "Yes" in 8 Minutes or Less!
  • My Formerly Hot Life: Dispatches from Just the Other Side of Young
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion
  • Leaving a Trace: On Keeping a Journal
  • The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America
  • How to Win Any Argument: Without Raising Your Voice, Losing Your Cool, or Coming to Blows
  • In Quiet Desperation: Understanding The Challenge Of Same-gender Attraction
  • What now?
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Getting More: How to Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World