Start by marking “I, Jacqueline” as Want to Read:
I, Jacqueline

I, Jacqueline

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A historical fiction that presents the life and loves of Jacqueline of Hainaut, thrice married, thrice imprisoned and ransomed; the extraordinary 15th-century life of a woman who endured the power politics of the courts of England, Burgundy, and France.
Published November 1st 2008 by The History Press (first published December 1957)

To ask other readers questions about I, Jacqueline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Jacqueline

Perhaps Jacqueline of Hainault had many good qualities and achieved much in real life. I don't know if that is the case, but it wasn't my impression from reading this novel. I found her quite tiresome. The actual words are never used, but a "woe alas! woe-is-me" attitude permeates this novel. Eventually I suffered from that "are we there yet?" feeling.

On his deathbed her dying father warned her against various individuals. Did she heed his advice? What were the consequences of her choices? Read
Dutch translation of "I, Jacqueline"
4 - 4.5, perhaps even 5 stars.
Jacoba van Beieren was an awesome lady, and everyone with an interest in history should read her story (it will however help to read up about this period of time a little bit, if you haven't already, before you start reading the book - the French/English situation for instance)
Why does everyone remember Jeanne d'Arc, but is Jacoba far less known, even though she was a woman leading troops into war at the same period of time? (dif
I, Jacqueline centres around the true story of a girl of 16 left to rule parts of what is now The Netherlands and Belgium when her father dies. It is set in the 15th century, a time when Europe seemed to run out of male heirs to their thrones but would not accept autonomous female rulers. The young lady of the title was left with few supporters, even fewer options and many enemies including her mother.

I didn't much like the book. The story itself is one that should have grabbed me as so many of
The setting - Europe at the time of Henry the 5th, encouraged me to pick up this book. It could have been brilliant, because the eponymous Jacqueline did some amazing things trying to reclaim her crown, and struggling with her love life. The trouble is, there are far too many banal conversations between women that reflect the main plot rather than taking you into the ehart of it, and too many major events either happening out of sight, or being skated over in a few lines. I disliked the portraya ...more
Keri-Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Gemma marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Ivi marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Terelyn Marks
Terelyn Marks marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Athena Ninlil
Athena Ninlil marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Historietime marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Hope Laverty
Hope Laverty marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Sherry Lopez
Sherry Lopez marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Juanita marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Batmangirl619 marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Jodi marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Lily marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Samantha marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Lucyclare marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Bloomeenee marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hilda Winifred Lewis (1896-1974) was a British writer.

She wrote a noted children's book, The Ship that Flew (1939) which concerns Norse mythology and time travel. It was republished in the Oxford Children's Modern Classics series in 1998. Her three YA books, including the well-received The Gentle Falcon, are available for Kindle and iBooks.
Several of her historical novels, e.g. I am Mary Tudor (19
More about Hilda Lewis...