Start by marking “I, Jacqueline” as Want to Read:
I, Jacqueline

I, Jacqueline

3.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A historical fiction that presents the life and loves of Jacqueline of Hainaut, thrice married, thrice imprisoned and ransomed; the extraordinary 15th-century life of a woman who endured the power politics of the courts of England, Burgundy, and France.
Published November 1st 2008 by The History Press (first published December 1957)

To ask other readers questions about I, Jacqueline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Jacqueline

Laurie

While reading HF books set during the Hundred Years War, Jacqueline of Brabant was always a peripheral character that I was curious to learn more about.

I, Jacqueline, was a well researched effort by one of my favorite authors Hilda Lewis and richly deserves a 5 star rating.

Jacqueline was heir to her father Duke William VI, hereditary prince of Hainault, Holland, Friesland and Zealand after his death when she was still a young teen.

The rapacious Duke of Burgundy kingdom borders Jacqueline's and
Marita
Perhaps Jacqueline of Hainault had many good qualities and achieved much in real life. I don't know if that is the case, but it wasn't my impression from reading this novel. I found her quite tiresome. The actual words are never used, but a "woe alas! woe-is-me" attitude permeates this novel. Eventually I suffered from that "are we there yet?" feeling.

On his deathbed her dying father warned her against various individuals. Did she heed his advice? What were the consequences of her choices? Read
Suzanne
Dutch translation of "I, Jacqueline"
4 - 4.5, perhaps even 5 stars.
Jacoba van Beieren was an awesome lady, and everyone with an interest in history should read her story (it will however help to read up about this period of time a little bit, if you haven't already, before you start reading the book - the French/English situation for instance)
Why does everyone remember Jeanne d'Arc, but is Jacoba far less known, even though she was a woman leading troops into war at the same period of time? (dif
Jules
I, Jacqueline centres around the true story of a girl of 16 left to rule parts of what is now The Netherlands and Belgium when her father dies. It is set in the 15th century, a time when Europe seemed to run out of male heirs to their thrones but would not accept autonomous female rulers. The young lady of the title was left with few supporters, even fewer options and many enemies including her mother.

I didn't much like the book. The story itself is one that should have grabbed me as so many of
C.
Jan 16, 2016 C. rated it liked it
The life and loves of Jacqueline of Hainaut thrice married, thrice imprisoned and ransomed, the extraordinary fifteenth-century life of a woman of substance who endured the power politics of the courts of England, Burgundy and France.
With a summary like that, I was interested in reading about this "Daughter of Holland" of whom I knew nothing. It was good to read because I knew little of this power play, set about the time of Henry V of England, but I was disappointed in her. She seemed to be una
Nikki
May 21, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it
The setting - Europe at the time of Henry the 5th, encouraged me to pick up this book. It could have been brilliant, because the eponymous Jacqueline did some amazing things trying to reclaim her crown, and struggling with her love life. The trouble is, there are far too many banal conversations between women that reflect the main plot rather than taking you into the ehart of it, and too many major events either happening out of sight, or being skated over in a few lines. I disliked the portraya ...more
Rafael da Silva
Rafael da Silva marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Jaz
Jaz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Mindy Jones
Mindy Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Mary Ann
Mary Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Spicibear
Spicibear marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Katheryn
Katheryn marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Jill Southerland
Jill Southerland marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Lilly Kilcrease
Lilly Kilcrease marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Cristine
Cristine marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Deanne Wildsmith
Deanne Wildsmith marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Roula Yasin
Roula Yasin is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Mary D
Mary D marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
leah lederman
leah lederman marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Linda Marie Marsh
Linda Marie Marsh marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Bess
Bess marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Alyssa Lane
Alyssa Lane marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Isabel the Fair
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • The Falcons Of Montabard
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • Conquest (Making of England, #1)
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • Isabella and the Strange Death of Edward II
  • The Life and Times of Richard III (Kings and Queens of England)
  • The Queen's Husband (Queen Victoria, #3)
  • The King Must Die (The Isabella Books, #2)
  • The Lute Player
  • A Secret Alchemy
  • The de Lacy Inheritance
  • The People's Queen
  • Succession
  • The Needle in the Blood
  • Fears of Henry IV: The Life of England's Self-made King
Hilda Winifred Lewis (1896-1974) was a British writer.

She wrote a noted children's book, The Ship that Flew (1939) which concerns Norse mythology and time travel. It was republished in the Oxford Children's Modern Classics series in 1998. Her three YA books, including the well-received The Gentle Falcon, are available for Kindle and iBooks.
Several of her historical novels, e.g. I am Mary Tudor (19
More about Hilda Lewis...