Start by marking “No Time for Sergeants” as Want to Read:
No Time for Sergeants

No Time for Sergeants

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When the man from the draft board arrives to take country bumpkin Will Stockdale to Callville for induction into the army, Will's father chases him off. But even hastily erected barbed wire cannot prevent Uncle Sam from claiming this draftee, and soon Will is on a bus to Fort Thompson, Georgia. In the barracks, our hapless hero meets little Ben Whitledge, a fellow trainee ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Louisiana State University Press (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about No Time for Sergeants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Time for Sergeants

Exodus by Leon UrisThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerMy Cousin Rachel by Daphne du MaurierKatherine by Anya SetonAuntie Mame by Patrick Dennis
Fifties Fiction Favorites
65th out of 85 books — 68 voters
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareA Night to Remember by Walter LordThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Time Passages
261st out of 470 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Lwg63
Jun 06, 2008 Lwg63 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Lwg63 by: Just found it.
This book had a lot of firsts for me. This was the first book I can remember reading just because I wanted something to do during a long hot nothing to do summer. I was bored and my mother in desperation said: "why don't you read a book". So I found this one and read it. It was so funny. I think it was the first time I laughed out loud while reading a book. It later became a movie staring Andy Griffith and I remember thinking for the first time that "the book was better than the movie". It is ab ...more
Samantha
Real rating: 2 1/2 stars

*yawn*

I have a hard time not finishing books, but I finally have to admit defeat on this books, one hundred and twenty pages in. Not that this book was horrible, but it was so incredibly boring--which is hard to do when the setting is WWII.

I could see how this could become a smash hit of a movie, as that could really play up the humor, but when it comes to the book, I feel like there's hardly a plot and the humor is dulled by the fact that the main character is so dull.

Wi
Rex Libris
I first encountered No Time for Sergeants in its form as TV special. Andy Griffith plays a complete hayseed who is drafted into the Air Force and subsequently drives his sergeant crazy. The TV special was adapted from the full-length movie, which was adapted by Ira Levin from this book.

While I enjoyed the book, it is second to Griffith's portrayal of the character. I normally like books better than the movies, but in this case it is turned around. The adaptation and the actors give a better lif
Donna
I laughed out loud for most of the book. I found myself reading out loud to hear the dialect.
Having been a fan of Andy Griffith fan and Gomer Pyle, etc…I did envision those characters, which made this book all the more enjoyable. But it wasn’t necessary…this was a total fun joy of a story!

The following is info on Mac Hyman - Author as printed in the book, but not in Goodreads.

Mac Hyman was born in Cordele, Georgia, in 1923, and spent most of his life there until he went away to school. He att
Kohl
Our family book club is still going (barely) and my Dad's book was No Time for Sergeants by Mac Hyman. It's not a large book. It's not a hard book. It's not really all that intelligent a book. However it was very funny and easy to read very quickly. Apparently the Andy Griffith spin off Gomer Pile was based on, or heavily inspired by this book. Which isn't surprising because Andy Griffith stared in the movie version. There is also a play which just played in the valley.

It is about good hearted t
Rhonda Keith  Stephens
It's been a long time since I read this novel, though I just watched Andy Griffith's movie again. The first time was in an Air Force base theater. The recruits howled at the "They call them Air-Men" scene. The writer was one of those ex-WWII servicemen who wrote about their military experiences.

One scene was changed from the novel: when Private Will Stockdale sees his first woman officer. In the novel, he saw his first black officer. The scene works perfectly either way. The last part of the mov
Cody Gillespie-Lynch
I started reading this in 10th grade, having found it in the school library. I found it quite amusing but due to school work and other things, I eventually stopped reading it. I always planned on finishing it, but never got around to it. Then about six years later, having run out of things to read, while travelling, I came across a copy at an English Language bookstore in Guatemala, and read it. It is a very funny spoof of 1950's american military life.
Greg
I first read this as a teenager, and I think I chuckled constantly through the whole book. I've since read it a couple more times, and it was as funny the third time as is my memory of the first. The combination of country, small-town naïveté and the occasional glimpses of wisdom learned from a hardscrabble life of work and sacrifice also made this book and it's characters special to me.
Gerry
At work we have reading assignments. January 2010 is to read something published or written in the year you were born. For me, that's 1955. I did some searching and found this one. It's the play that Andy Griffith was in. I believe they made it into a movie.
The first act was very, very funny. The second act, not so much.
It was interesting to see how the world has changed.
Chelsea
One of the rare occasions that the movie was an improvement from the book.
Lynne
A silly and entertaining quick read, if a bit politically incorrect. The racist slang occasionally used by the main character can be off-putting but that's the way people talked in the 40s, especially people from the south. Still funny and worth a look.
Suzanne
If you've never read this book, you've missed one of the greatest Southern books of all time. It inspired an equally funny movie, and when placed beside Forest Grump, it trumps!
Kaye Dewar
I was very familiar with the movie of this play. Somethings were changed but still wonderfully funny
Judith Wrinkle
This book made me laugh out loud, it was very, very funny. Read it years ago.
Dana
I have never laughed so hard while reading a book!!!!
Biljana Skataric
Preteča Foresta Gampa.
KC
KC marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Cbj
Cbj marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
L. C.
L. C. added it
Apr 08, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Lyndsey Heng
Lyndsey Heng marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
  • On Golden Pond
  • Veronica's Room
  • Shirley Valentine
  • Mistress to an Age: A Life of Madame de Staël
  • The Complete Humorous Sketches and Tales of Mark Twain
  • Withnail and I (Bloomsbury Film Classics)
  • My World And Welcome To It