Start by marking “No Time for Sergeants” as Want to Read:
No Time for Sergeants

No Time for Sergeants

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When the man from the draft board arrives to take country bumpkin Will Stockdale to Callville for induction into the army, Will's father chases him off. But even hastily erected barbed wire cannot prevent Uncle Sam from claiming this draftee, and soon Will is on a bus to Fort Thompson, Georgia. In the barracks, our hapless hero meets little Ben Whitledge, a fellow trainee ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Louisiana State University Press (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about No Time for Sergeants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Time for Sergeants

Exodus by Leon UrisThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerMy Cousin Rachel by Daphne du MaurierKatherine by Anya SetonAuntie Mame by Patrick Dennis
Fifties Fiction Favorites
66th out of 85 books — 71 voters
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareA Night to Remember by Walter LordThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Time Passages
271st out of 482 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Lwg63
Jun 06, 2008 Lwg63 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Lwg63 by: Just found it.
This book had a lot of firsts for me. This was the first book I can remember reading just because I wanted something to do during a long hot nothing to do summer. I was bored and my mother in desperation said: "why don't you read a book". So I found this one and read it. It was so funny. I think it was the first time I laughed out loud while reading a book. It later became a movie staring Andy Griffith and I remember thinking for the first time that "the book was better than the movie". It is ab ...more
Samantha
Aug 29, 2014 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Real rating: 2 1/2 stars

*yawn*

I have a hard time not finishing books, but I finally have to admit defeat on this books, one hundred and twenty pages in. Not that this book was horrible, but it was so incredibly boring--which is hard to do when the setting is WWII.

I could see how this could become a smash hit of a movie, as that could really play up the humor, but when it comes to the book, I feel like there's hardly a plot and the humor is dulled by the fact that the main character is so dull.

Wi
Rex Libris
May 02, 2014 Rex Libris rated it really liked it
I first encountered No Time for Sergeants in its form as TV special. Andy Griffith plays a complete hayseed who is drafted into the Air Force and subsequently drives his sergeant crazy. The TV special was adapted from the full-length movie, which was adapted by Ira Levin from this book.

While I enjoyed the book, it is second to Griffith's portrayal of the character. I normally like books better than the movies, but in this case it is turned around. The adaptation and the actors give a better lif
Howard
Dec 23, 2015 Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read
Rhonda Keith
Jul 20, 2012 Rhonda Keith rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I read this novel, though I just watched Andy Griffith's movie again. The first time was in an Air Force base theater. The recruits howled at the "They call them Air-Men" scene. The writer was one of those ex-WWII servicemen who wrote about their military experiences.

One scene was changed from the novel: when Private Will Stockdale sees his first woman officer. In the novel, he saw his first black officer. The scene works perfectly either way. The last part of the mov
Margaret
Jan 19, 2016 Margaret rated it liked it
BookRiot Read Harder Challenge for 2016, a book published during the decade in which I was born.
Cody Gillespie-Lynch
Oct 21, 2010 Cody Gillespie-Lynch rated it it was amazing
I started reading this in 10th grade, having found it in the school library. I found it quite amusing but due to school work and other things, I eventually stopped reading it. I always planned on finishing it, but never got around to it. Then about six years later, having run out of things to read, while travelling, I came across a copy at an English Language bookstore in Guatemala, and read it. It is a very funny spoof of 1950's american military life.
Greg
Apr 28, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
I first read this as a teenager, and I think I chuckled constantly through the whole book. I've since read it a couple more times, and it was as funny the third time as is my memory of the first. The combination of country, small-town naïveté and the occasional glimpses of wisdom learned from a hardscrabble life of work and sacrifice also made this book and it's characters special to me.
Chelsea
Jan 05, 2014 Chelsea rated it it was ok
One of the rare occasions that the movie was an improvement from the book.
Lynne
May 02, 2008 Lynne rated it liked it
A silly and entertaining quick read, if a bit politically incorrect. The racist slang occasionally used by the main character can be off-putting but that's the way people talked in the 40s, especially people from the south. Still funny and worth a look.
Suzanne
Jul 16, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
If you've never read this book, you've missed one of the greatest Southern books of all time. It inspired an equally funny movie, and when placed beside Forest Grump, it trumps!
Judith Wrinkle
This book made me laugh out loud, it was very, very funny. Read it years ago.
Dana
Jan 27, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing
I have never laughed so hard while reading a book!!!!
Stephen
Jul 25, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
SO funny.
Rahadyan
Rahadyan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Joel Brumfield
Joel Brumfield rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
J. Boo
J. Boo marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Wade Barnett
Wade Barnett rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Tom Barber
Tom Barber rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Gigi
Gigi marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Paula Reyna-Maynez
Paula Reyna-Maynez marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
William Mills
William Mills rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Eric Frederick
Eric Frederick marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Cawkins Chuck
Cawkins Chuck rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Jon
Jon added it
Jul 08, 2016
Kay
Kay added it
Jun 09, 2016
Ernie Quimby
Ernie Quimby marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
  • The Tamarack Tree
  • Mistress to an Age: A Life of Madame de Staël
  • Red Sky at Morning
  • Withnail and I: the Original Screenplay
  • Return to Longbourn (The Darcys of Pemberley, #2)
  • The Portable Sherwood Anderson