Start by marking “The Great Big War” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Great Big War

Bob Nick Shields

The Great Big War

The war happened, but only Bobby Booclear remembers it. It lasted less than a day but, in less than six hours, an eleven-year-old boy became a war criminal. In Westchester County, New York. It's that kind of story. And Bobby is, finally, telling his version of what happened on that day, in 1954. In a rousing tale filled with cap guns, spin-the-bottle, flavored ice cubes, ...more
Published August 12th 2014 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Great Big War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Big War

Susan
Jun 28, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
The Great Big War by Bob Nick Shields This is Bobby Booclear’s story. He remembers the day long war clearly and is finally telling his side. In a time when kids could play outside during daylight and girls weren’t allowed in war games, Bobby reenacts some of the great big screen death scenes of his time.
This is a tale of childhood days gone by. Bobby is a kid playing with his buddies from the apartment building. Based on the movie references in this book, perhaps it is the 1960s. There’s a field
Dan Absalonson
Jun 04, 2015 Dan Absalonson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute little story that reminded me of playing war when I was a kid. My brothers and I would often play war with our neighbor. It took me a while to get into it though. At first it kind of seemed like a bunch of random events. There was no real story. Once the play war starts the story starts and I was interested from that point on and really enjoyed it.

The kids in this book really commit to their play war. It was fun to read about kids taking their play so seriously because that's how
David Winograd
Nov 19, 2014 David Winograd rated it it was amazing
Narrated the audiobook version.
I loved this book. It's a real little gem, reminiscent of Jean Shepherd to me.

The characters were well drawn and the description of life in 1954 seemed quite real.

The is a book with verisimilitude.

I hope that the one story told in this Novella becomes a series, Bob Nick Shields is too good to let such a rich world end with just one story.
Deedra
Dec 09, 2014 Deedra rated it really liked it
This story was fun,short,and fun.It was about what kids really think when they 'play'.The war was real and they knew it.They also knew that when the ice pops were ready ,the war was paused.The narrator,Mr Winograd,brings kids voices to life as well as adults.He can sneer,be sweet,whatever and you believe him.
Ren Monterrey
Ren Monterrey rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Audio-Bibliophiles: A wonderful wistful nostalgic book that you should hear 1 10 Oct 08, 2014 01:07PM