Start by marking “Love Lessons” as Want to Read:
Love Lessons

Love Lessons

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  265 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Romeo and Juliet is a very romantic play, but when teacher and pupil fall in love, it's real life. The star-crossed lovers are constantly in fear of being caught out, and what began as a school girl fantasy turns in to an X-rated nightmare.
Published December 9th 2000 by Scholastic Point (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Love Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Lessons

Kate
Aug 24, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
This book really touched me, probably because I'm only a couple of years older than Rachel and can relate to her feelings.
It is a classic student-teacher affair story that ends up horribly wrong but the roller coaster ride they both went through made me really feel for them.
I usually feel a sense of achievement when I finish a book, happy in the knowledge that everything turns out ok. When I finished this book however,(view spoiler)
Rosie
Aug 20, 2016 Rosie rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this. It's steamy, dramatic, fast-paced and tense. It's also set in my hometown of Nottingham, it was fun to here familiar town/road names. I thought a lot of the side characters were very level headed, particularly the MC, Rachel's friends.

The rating isn't as high as I'd like because both Rachel and her lover, her English teacher (!) were immature and naive. The ending, in a way, came to nothing it was all just wrapped up for ease. I'd have preferred a less "happy" ending, s
Erin
Jan 27, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
I first read this years ago. It must have been at least 8 years ago and it was first released nearly 15 years ago, so why did I choose to download it? It’s stuck with me since I first read it. I think it stood out for me for two reasons. The first was that it was written by a male author, and at the time I hadn’t ever read anything by a male author so I was intrigued as to how this would be. Secondly, it was such a tangible subject, being a 16 year old girl at high school, I was the same age as ...more
Cornelia
Jan 03, 2015 Cornelia rated it really liked it
a very interesting male point of view on a teacher-student love affair. it is clear that this book doesnt idealize such a relationship as most similar novels written by women. in the end, and after reading the author's not, i got the impression that the teacher is always to blame in such relationships. even when they do lead in happily ever after together, they are wrong to have started in the first place. regardless, i enjoyed the book. i felt in the end that it was builiding a case against mik ...more
Jonesy_laaa
Aug 16, 2015 Jonesy_laaa rated it really liked it
I read this book as a 15 year old and I will admit was caught up with the romance aspect of it. Now 11 years later, would my opinion change of this book. I will say yes.

The narration and characters are easy to get into and you hardly notice when you turn the pages and you become so involved with the plot and you find yourself in that world with them as well which for me is a sign of a good novel.

I mean Mike and Rachael fall in love when they shouldn't as teacher and pupil; but we all know 'fall
Lauren
Feb 01, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to feel about this book...
I wanted Mike and Rachel to work out; I enjoyed reading their passion for each other.
The book had an amazing start it had me hooked straight away, both the main characters were easy to get to know and to relate to. However, by the end I discovered I started to dislike Rachel a bit and I didn't like how she made out like Mike was the only one in the wrong/ to blame for the relationship. I felt like Rachel kind of got a bit jealous and bratty by the en
Tes
Dec 05, 2009 Tes rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to think of the book when I saw it in the library, so I thought I would give it a go. Couldn't put it down. I could tell a lot how much research the author put in the book. It was a great book and very interesting. Five stars. It has been awhile since I read a book in two days, I would of read quicker if it wasn't for a busy life.
Emily
Jan 14, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time about 4 years ago now however I still to this day think it is a rather interesting read. One of the reasons I have given this book 4 stars is because it is one if those books that I have gone back to a read more than once. When I first read this book I could not put it down. I do generally enjoy this book. This was my first teacher student novel and after reading it I have read other teacher student novels. Overall I think this book is worth a read however I w ...more
Michelle
As much as one might - or might not - hope that this book has a happy ending, it is quite clear that the whole affair is a bad move and that it will end in a more or less disastrous way...
It is always a bad sign if the 15-year old student is - in some parts - more mature than her 23-year old teacher.
I have just started to occupy myself with the topic of student-teacher-affairs and this was the first of numerous books I intend to read about it.
It presumably was a decent start - a quick read (thou
Rebekah May
I have mixed feelings about this one. I read it while I was still in school, I must about been around 14 at the time, and recently I decided to see if I could find it. (I had no idea what it was called or who it was by so it's a bit miraculous that I did find it.) I don't remember having any strong feelings about it at 14, and I don't have any strong feelings about it now.

Love Lessons is about a student/teacher relationship. I'd read reviews about how there was an interesting dynamic in this one
Candy Wood
The “lessons” in the title should alert young readers that the main intent of this book is didactic, especially warning teen girls about the folly of letting a crush on a male teacher turn into anything physical. Because much of the story is also told from the perspective of the young teacher, though, we gain more understanding: he doesn’t set out to be a sexual predator when he responds to the advances of 15-year-old Rachel. It’s all complicated by the school production of Romeo and Juliet (of ...more
Amy
Jul 21, 2016 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Re-read of a book I remembered from my teen years. As as adult it's easier to see how clichéd the whole thing is. They fall for each other during Romeo and Juliet rehearsals? Are you kidding me? The characters' situations are still relatable, but much of the setting is out of date. I don't think many teenagers will have even heard of Elastica, much less recorded a cassette tape of them. I can just about remember a time before mobile phones, but any teen reading now would no doubt be baffled as t ...more
Shiro
Apr 03, 2012 Shiro rated it liked it
Never read a book quite like this before so i thought why not try it out once i read the blurb.

The book starts off telling both of the main characters day and at this point it seems like a boring read that you want to put the book down...don't it actually gets better. The book evolves into an actual real life romeo & juliet ironic because that is the play that the teacher and the student are working on together in, the ending of the book does have a fairly big climax but nothing that will m
Amalia Acorda-fey
Feb 11, 2008 Amalia Acorda-fey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers. It relates...
Scarlett Bacchus o'callaghan
I guess like most books it is worth reading however if you're after reading this type of book then read Jacqueline Wilson's love lessons beforehand I couldn't recommend that book more sincerely. To keep this review of David Belbins 'love lessons' short and sweet and to sum up the book the characters are cardboard cut-outs, the two main characters are unbelievably idiotic with no common sense and I actually cackled with sadistic joy when their mistakes caught up with them. It's a laugh they fail ...more
Angelica
Jan 01, 2014 Angelica rated it liked it
Well...it was my best friend who borrowed this from our school's library and told me to read and I did. And at first I was a bit surprised by the story since it was my first time reading a teacher/pupil story but when I finished it, I just thought it was an okay book. Unique and pretty inappropriate to have in our library but the story was okay, I guess. It wasn't like the books l've read and it didn't really give me this emotional feeling I usually get after reading a book but It was good. :)
Dương Nguyễn
Mar 18, 2014 Dương Nguyễn rated it did not like it
I read half of the book and then stopped because I found the book was not my taste and the main character was not the kind of girl I like.
Rachel
May 31, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Chie
Aug 10, 2011 Chie rated it it was ok
No. Just no. Romance at it's worst. I didn't see the appeal.

Both of them were just ridiculous. I read this book because it sounded different and interesting...but after it, I'm completely against the whole idea. They were both impatient and never at any point loved one another. Very nonsensical characters.

I didn't like it at all. Cringe-worthy read.
Hayley
Feb 01, 2015 Hayley rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 1

The premise of this novel was good as was it's execution but still I felt there was something lacking in it; I can't put my finger on what is is that was missing though. I think perhaps the characters were not quite real to me. Having said that I read this book in one day as it was engrossing and I wanted to know what happened.
Charlotte
Sep 26, 2012 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
I am currently reading this again because I love it so much. This is a good example of what could happen if something like this occurs in real life, and often does. I would encourage people to read this book, girls may like it more than boys but it is still an excellent book. :)
Sally
Sep 21, 2012 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, book-shelf
LOVED this book! well, except the ending... This book was great throughout and gave me papercuts because i refused to put it down until it was finished. I'm so glad I picked this book up and I wish that i could forget what happened at the end read it all over again!!!
Meana Jayne
Apr 22, 2013 Meana Jayne rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, because I'm young and still in school I find this type of book interesting and that I can relate to it, but I can't relate to it fully because I have never dated a teacher but I have had crushes on them. It's a great read :)
Amita Bhudia
Oct 22, 2015 Amita Bhudia rated it really liked it
Read this while in high school and the first time I read Love Lessons it didn't fail to pull me in to a storyline that shocked me. It was riveting and addresses a social topic that I feel is becoming more prominent.
Pia
Aug 10, 2012 Pia added it
- several grammatical errors
- didn't care for either of the characters
- tone of the story seemed contrived/ not convincing
Chantelle
Jan 02, 2014 Chantelle rated it really liked it
This book was really good but it seemed like a more adult version of Jacqueline Wilson's book which is called love lessons too
Maeya
Nov 25, 2012 Maeya rated it liked it
Well I found this in my school library.. A tad inappropriate but from what I can recall I thought "good book" when I put it down.
Anna
May 04, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
A quick read, interesting, though I did find the ending a bit pessimistic. Aimed at teenagers I think.
Rpkavanagh
Aug 11, 2010 Rpkavanagh rated it it was ok
Detached, un-emotional, written more like an essay than the moving book it was intended to be.
Beton
Jan 27, 2013 Beton rated it really liked it
They should make a movie about it...
favorite quotes 1 4 Apr 21, 2014 10:57AM
  • Taming the Beast
  • Innocents
  • Teach Me
  • Treacherous Love: The Diary of an Anonymous Teenager
  • Lost In Light (Teacher's Pet, #1)
  • Sweetest Taboo
  • The Yearning
  • Schooling
  • Hush
  • The Low Notes (Wexley Falls, #1)
  • Forbidden Lessons (Forbidden Love #1)
  • Broken Ever After (Ever After, #1)
  • Forbidden (Hollister #2)
  • The Wood of Suicides
Belbin's work is known for breaking boundaries and dealing responsibly with difficult social issues that affect teenagers. He first attained success with a number of books for Scholastic's Point Crime series.
More about David Belbin...