Love Lessons

Love Lessons

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Romeo and Juliet is a very romantic play, but when teacher and pupil fall in love, it's real life. The star-crossed lovers are constantly in fear of being caught out, and what began as a school girl fantasy turns in to an X-rated nightmare.
Published December 9th 2000 by Scholastic Point (first published 1998)

Slammed by Colleen HooverGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardEasy by Tammara WebberVampire Academy by Richelle MeadLosing It by Cora Carmack
Student-Teacher Affair Novels
67th out of 161 books — 1,047 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Giver by Lois LowrySpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Teen Novels of the 90s
145th out of 151 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
This book really touched me, probably because I'm only a couple of years older than Rachel and can relate to her feelings.
It is a classic student-teacher affair story that ends up horribly wrong but the roller coaster ride they both went through made me really feel for them.
I usually feel a sense of achievement when I finish a book, happy in the knowledge that everything turns out ok. When I finished this book however,(view spoiler)...more
Erin
I first read this years ago. It must have been at least 8 years ago and it was first released nearly 15 years ago, so why did I choose to download it? It’s stuck with me since I first read it. I think it stood out for me for two reasons. The first was that it was written by a male author, and at the time I hadn’t ever read anything by a male author so I was intrigued as to how this would be. Secondly, it was such a tangible subject, being a 16 year old girl at high school, I was the same age as...more
Tes
I wasn't sure what to think of the book when I saw it in the library, so I thought I would give it a go. Couldn't put it down. I could tell a lot how much research the author put in the book. It was a great book and very interesting. Five stars. It has been awhile since I read a book in two days, I would of read quicker if it wasn't for a busy life.
Michelle
As much as one might - or might not - hope that this book has a happy ending, it is quite clear that the whole affair is a bad move and that it will end in a more or less disastrous way...
It is always a bad sign if the 15-year old student is - in some parts - more mature than her 23-year old teacher.
I have just started to occupy myself with the topic of student-teacher-affairs and this was the first of numerous books I intend to read about it.
It presumably was a decent start - a quick read (thou...more
Candy Wood
The “lessons” in the title should alert young readers that the main intent of this book is didactic, especially warning teen girls about the folly of letting a crush on a male teacher turn into anything physical. Because much of the story is also told from the perspective of the young teacher, though, we gain more understanding: he doesn’t set out to be a sexual predator when he responds to the advances of 15-year-old Rachel. It’s all complicated by the school production of Romeo and Juliet (of...more
Shiro
Never read a book quite like this before so i thought why not try it out once i read the blurb.

The book starts off telling both of the main characters day and at this point it seems like a boring read that you want to put the book down...don't it actually gets better. The book evolves into an actual real life romeo & juliet ironic because that is the play that the teacher and the student are working on together in, the ending of the book does have a fairly big climax but nothing that will m...more
Amalia Acorda-fey
Feb 11, 2008 Amalia Acorda-fey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenagers. It relates...
Scarlett Bacchus o'callaghan
I guess like most books it is worth reading however if you're after reading this type of book then read Jacqueline Wilson's love lessons beforehand I couldn't recommend that book more sincerely. To keep this review of David Belbins 'love lessons' short and sweet and to sum up the book the characters are cardboard cut-outs, the two main characters are unbelievably idiotic with no common sense and I actually cackled with sadistic joy when their mistakes caught up with them. It's a laugh they fail...more
Angelica
Well...it was my best friend who borrowed this from our school's library and told me to read and I did. And at first I was a bit surprised by the story since it was my first time reading a teacher/pupil story but when I finished it, I just thought it was an okay book. Unique and pretty inappropriate to have in our library but the story was okay, I guess. It wasn't like the books l've read and it didn't really give me this emotional feeling I usually get after reading a book but It was good. :)
Dương Nguyễn
I read half of the book and then stopped because I found the book was not my taste and the main character was not the kind of girl I like.
Chie
No. Just no. Romance at it's worst. I didn't see the appeal.

Both of them were just ridiculous. I read this book because it sounded different and interesting...but after it, I'm completely against the whole idea. They were both impatient and never at any point loved one another. Very nonsensical characters.

I didn't like it at all. Cringe-worthy read.
Hayley

The premise of this novel was good as was it's execution but still I felt there was something lacking in it; I can't put my finger on what is is that was missing though. I think perhaps the characters were not quite real to me. Having said that I read this book in one day as it was engrossing and I wanted to know what happened.
Charlotte
I am currently reading this again because I love it so much. This is a good example of what could happen if something like this occurs in real life, and often does. I would encourage people to read this book, girls may like it more than boys but it is still an excellent book. :)
Sally
LOVED this book! well, except the ending... This book was great throughout and gave me papercuts because i refused to put it down until it was finished. I'm so glad I picked this book up and I wish that i could forget what happened at the end read it all over again!!!
Meana Jayne
I loved this book, because I'm young and still in school I find this type of book interesting and that I can relate to it, but I can't relate to it fully because I have never dated a teacher but I have had crushes on them. It's a great read :)
Pia
Aug 10, 2012 Pia added it
- several grammatical errors
- didn't care for either of the characters
- tone of the story seemed contrived/ not convincing
Chantelle
This book was really good but it seemed like a more adult version of Jacqueline Wilson's book which is called love lessons too
Maeya
Well I found this in my school library.. A tad inappropriate but from what I can recall I thought "good book" when I put it down.
Anna
A quick read, interesting, though I did find the ending a bit pessimistic. Aimed at teenagers I think.
Rpkavanagh
Detached, un-emotional, written more like an essay than the moving book it was intended to be.
Beton
They should make a movie about it...
She Who Is A Dreamer
She Who Is A Dreamer marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Cassie Chainay
Cassie Chainay marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jimmy-lesa Plunk
Jimmy-lesa Plunk marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Gianna Duna
Gianna Duna marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Sheen
Sheen marked it as to-read
Annabelle
Annabelle marked it as to-read
Shala Avans
Shala Avans marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • Everything Beautiful in the World
  • Taming the Beast
  • Love Lessons
  • Hush
  • The Low Notes (Wexley Falls, #1)
  • What Mr. Mattero Did
  • Sweetest Taboo
  • Teach Me
  • Star-Crossed
  • A Place in This Life
  • Schooling
  • Hummingbirds
Belbin's work is known for breaking boundaries and dealing responsibly with difficult social issues that affect teenagers. He first attained success with a number of books for Scholastic's Point Crime series.
More about David Belbin...
Bone And Cane Denial Festival Black and Blue (Point Crime: The Beat) Avenging Angel (Point Crime)