Start by marking “The Captive (The Secret Circle, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Captive (The Secret Circle, #2)

The Captive (The Secret Circle #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  7,899 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
Can the Secret Circle survive...

Or will the dark struggle of good, evil, and tormented love consume them all...?

Lured into the most popular in-crowd imaginable, Cassie is intoxicated by her newfound strength, a power as addictive as it is perilous.

Caught between two members' consuming desires to use the coven's mysterious force, Cassie turns to one of their boyfriends, Ada
Published October 17th 2002 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Captive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captive

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Captive (The Secret Circle #2), L.J. Smith
Apr 21, 2015 Nikoleta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Το δεύτερο μέρος είναι και αυτό απλοϊκότατα γραμμένο, γρήγορο, μπαίνει κατευθείαν στο ψητό κ.λ.π. όπως κ το πρώτο. Το όλο βιβλίο σώζει όμως το αρκετά καλό τέλος του, που άξαφνα ξεσηκώνει τον αναγνώστη κ τον κάνει να θέλει να διαβάσει κ το επόμενο, εκεί που θεωρούσε ότι θα τα παρατήσει!!! Δεν ξέρω για τους άλλους βασικά πάντως εμένα αυτό μου συνέβη! :D
Страхотна !!!!
Read this whole series back when i was 13-14 and i was BLOWN away by it.... so much so i DESPERATELY wanted to be a witch... hmmm... maybe i just wanted Adam.... :)
Mar 01, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 in The Secret Circle series. See my review of book 1 here. This book was just as good as the first in the series. The tension is building as Cassie is black mailed into helping Faye wrestle power away from Diana. Cassie finds herself hurting those she cares most about and also suffers a great loss in her family. Cassie’s grandmother also reveals important information that none of the Circle knew about previously in hopes it will help them battle the dark force that was released.

When I review a book, I usually look at two things, first is if the story is good and second is if the characters are likeable.

1. The story

I liked the story very much, the suspense was exciting and as they're coming to reach a conclusion I feel that I wanna find it out with them. Sometimes I can't put the book down because I wanna know what's next. Cassie's inside conflict was kind of ridiculous for me but the issue about the evil spirit was kind of cool.

2. The characters

I tried really reall
Woot, just reread this! My main point? I wish that they had taken the last scene (actually, all of it) and at least stuck that one into the tv show. Eerie red lights and weird shadow figures killing grandma's? Freaky as shit! Instead, we get parents murdering their parents. Yeah, that might be more 'realistic' in a witch drama show. Maybe. Actually, a demon/devil/spirit dude killing for revenge is a lot more likely of a scenario.

Completely easy to read by now, but it's still a good book. This on
Jul 08, 2012 Jordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witches, magic
Review at Miss Book Reviews.

*WARNING: This section contains spoilers for the first book!*

Now that Cassie is officially in 'The Club' and now known as one of the 'in' group at school she finds life so much better, she feels welcome and wanted, not like a diseaseeveryoneis trying to avoid. Unfortunately for her she isdealingwith her desires for Adam, Diana's boyfriend, whom she fell in love with on the beach last summer (One meeting is all it took...). She loves Diana and she would never want t
Aug 22, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: witch lovers like myself
Cassie is being blackmailed by Faye. But doing what Faye asks will be the ultimate form of betrayal. Will Cassie go through with it?
If she doesn't, she runs the risk of destroying her relationship with Diana, and perhaps the entire Circle. But if she does, something evil might be unleashed on New Salem. An old and very powerful evil.

In my review of The Initiation, I mentioned I'm biased on this trilogy. Biased as fuck. Wish I wasn't, but I am.

For one thing, I was obsessed with the TV show. I als
Sep 10, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captiva este volumul doi, continuarea voulumului Ritualul ambele facand parte din trilogia Cercul secret. La fel ca si la Ritualul, cartea am cumparat-o de la revista BRAVO! Dupa parerea mea, atuul lui L.J.Smith este descrierea personajelor pe care le face aproape perfecte, in orice caz superbe e un cuvant banal.
Din nou, coperta nu m-a atras prea mult;insa stiam de talentul autoarei si totusi am cumparat-o.

Actiunea continua de unde a ramas, cu vorbele necrutatoarei Faye spunand ca protagonista e
Jul 07, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Source: I own this book.
Cost: The bind up of the first three books in this series were given to me as a gift.

Title: The Captive
Series: The Secret Circle #2
Author: LJ Smith
Overall rating: 3.9 stars

I liked this one a lot more than I liked the last one, the last one, I don't know...It wasn't as thrilling as I wanted it to be. But this one really had me hooked. I loved Cassie in this book as she really came into her own character, she was strong (for the most part) and I genuinely like he
Jul 13, 2016 Xanthi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
καλύτερο από το πρώτο βιβλίο αλλά μας αφήνει σε κρίσιμο σημείο, με αποτέλεσμα να ιες να διαβάσεις και το επόμενο
Eva Lucia
Also posted on Eva Lucias blog (Dansk detaljeret version)

- English review is on its way...

Blog ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ Youtube ~ Spotify
May 04, 2015 FangirlB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is getting a lot better and more interesting and I couldn`t put it down. ...more
Tiffany Jane
Again, another work of genius by the amazing L.J. Smith.

I have to say that the first time I read this book was only over a year ago but even then I fell in love with it and, no matter how hard I tried to get it out of my head, I just had had had to reread it and refresh the brilliance of it in my mind.

In my review of The Initiation, I did say that as a teenager myself I was able to identify with Cassie in her insecurity and naivety and, even in this book I am still able to identify with her fo
Oct 15, 2015 Nadine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Der Magische Zirkel/ Der Verrat Buchinfos:Der magische Zirkel - Der VerratAutor:Lisa J. SmithSeiten:256Buchart : TBVerlag:cbtBestellcode:978-3-570-30661-1Erhältlich ab : 09.08.2010Kosten : 8,95Alter: ab 12 JahrenGenre:Hexen /JugendbuchVorgängerbände: Die AnkunftFolgebände:Die ErlösungDer AbgrundDie HexenjagdDie Versuchung

Inhalt:Sie sind jung – sie sind smart – und sie sind Hexen!Ein jahrhundertealter Hexenzirkel zieht Cassie in seinen Bann. Doch es gibt eine dunkle Macht, die alle
Alejandra Tirado
Cinco de cincoooooo.

DIOS MIOOOOO, si la primera parte me pareció buena esta definitivamente se la lleva por mucho...
Las historias nos ubica en lo que mis deja la anterior y hay muchas cosas que cambian para bien lo primero es que en la primera parte se sabe muy poco sobre el circulo pero en esta se llegan a conocer a todos además de que se ve como es la vida de las brujas de new salem...
Los personajes me gustaron mucho mas, ya que al menos los pudimos conocer, personalmente voy a hablar de unos
Summer Baker
May 27, 2015 Summer Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review coming soon

YA from the 80's and 90's makes me so giddy with delight. It's so tame, and refreshing, and I dare say comforting, more so than the YA being released today. Its almost a completely different genre.

This latest installment of The Secret Circle shows how deeply Cassie and the rest of the circle are involving themselves in both light and dark magic.

(view spoiler)
Samantha Hall
Jun 10, 2016 Samantha Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was definitely a little more intrigued in this book. The development of Cassie is coming along nicely and she really does remind me of a 15/16 yo girl who is lost and trying to find herself. A few people have commented that Cassie's feelings and emotions are a little ridiculous must not remember what it was like at that age. Not to mention back in the 70's being that young you were still able to be a kid, kids now are more... mature? I don't think that is a good term because they aren't quite ...more
Feb 17, 2014 Fani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, paranormal
This book was even better than the first one! We get to know more things about the people who form the circle something i really needed because i couldn't distinguish them in the first book. Twelve characters were a lot for me to handle and i'm really impressed with the author because not only she manages to involve them all in the action but she also made each of them unique.

I'm glad Cassie got more stronger in this book both in spirit and in magic, seeing the main character being weak all the
Πραγματικα δεν ξερω τι να πω γι αυτο το βιβλιο!!Μονο εγω δεν μπορω να τελειωσω γιατι ειναι τοσο πολυ βαρετο??Πρωτη φορα το λεω αυτο αλλα η σειρα ειναι καλύτερη απο το βιβλιο!
Deelasha Rayamajhi
better than the first one. cassie caught in faye's web. her feelings towards adam. 2 dances homecoming and Halloween. faye using the skull for her own good. cassie's deciding vote makes Faye the coven leader. faye's eagerness causes black john's spirit to kill her grandmom. then b4 she dies she tells about the master plan of black john of mixing the couples and how their parents got married. then how all of them got pregnant which resulted all of them being born within a month. then their parent ...more
Erica N
Sep 24, 2011 Erica N rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldnt put it down finished it in just a few hours.cant wait to read the third one tomorrow.
Feb 04, 2013 Stef rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
J'abandonne cette saga, Mon Dieu que c'est nul ...
Jun 10, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't remember much from this one.
Oct 01, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing
Things are getting out of control, under Faye's dominant personality and blackmail Cassie is having to do everything she says and when she tells her to steal the crystal skull Adam has found belonging to the original coven leader Black John she listens but unknowingly Faye is going to unleash an unspeakable evil and an entryway for Black John back into the world.
In this installment we see more clear cut factions, the good versus the bad and Cassie through circumstances is right in the middle tor
Nov 23, 2015 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-books
4 out of 5 stars
The second book... I enjoyed it a lot but the reason why I gave it 4 out of 5 stars is probably obvious... The blackmail really bothered me! I can't tell how much I hated Faye on the book. Since the ending of the first book, when I saw the name of the second book I was like "Are you serious that this book is all going to be about this blackmail thing? Damn."

But it turned out having some really nice moments though.
On this book we can see some characters development and it is
Sep 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: para-witches
The Secret Circle series picks up a bit in its second book, The Captive. The plot thickens, some surprising back story is revealed and Cassie is slightly less irritating. But just slightly.

Halloween has come to New Salem and that means the Club is both going to the high school dance and hanging around in the cemetery. Black John's crystal skull is still wreaking havoc, as is Faye. While Faye is supposed to be the mean girl, and basically Cassie's arch nemesis, I like her. She sees that Cassie is
Okey, I must agree on what people around me say about the second book in the secret circle series, it does gets better. But, there is a big but (and no I don't quite get the idea that the characters in the books have big butts with all their little perfect slim bodies) and that is that I find the books to childish. WTF is the whole; I'm gonna tell it to Diana and other blabla shizzle, about?

Yeah I know ya'll like sixteen or seventeen, but grow op and get a life! Adam belongs to Cassie, end of d
  • The Graduation (Final Friends #3)
  • Overdue
  • Full Circle (Sweep, #14)
  • Through the Veil (Circle of Three, #9)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

The Secret Circle (6 books)
  • The Initiation (The Secret Circle, #1)
  • The Power (The Secret Circle, #3)
  • The Divide (The Secret Circle, #4)
  • The Hunt (The Secret Circle, #5)
  • The Temptation (The Secret Circle, #6)

“I won't feel. . . But that was impossible. She couldn't help feeling.” 11 likes
“You're a witch, she reminded herself. You should love cemeteries. They're probably your natural habitat.” 11 likes