The Captive (The Secret Circle, #2)

The Captive (The Secret Circle #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  6,164 ratings  ·  159 reviews
Can the Secret Circle survive...

Or will the dark struggle of good, evil, and tormented love consume them all...?

Lured into the most popular in-crowd imaginable, Cassie is intoxicated by her newfound strength, a power as addictive as it is perilous.

Caught between two members' consuming desires to use the coven's mysterious force, Cassie turns to one of their boyfriends, Ada...more
Published October 17th 2002 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Captive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captive

Debbie
This is book 2 in The Secret Circle series. See my review of book 1 here. This book was just as good as the first in the series. The tension is building as Cassie is black mailed into helping Faye wrestle power away from Diana. Cassie finds herself hurting those she cares most about and also suffers a great loss in her family. Cassie’s grandmother also reveals important information that none of the Circle knew about previously in hopes it will help them battle the dark force that was released.

Fa...more
C.C.
When I review a book, I usually look at two things, first is if the story is good and second is if the characters are likeable.

1. The story

I liked the story very much, the suspense was exciting and as they're coming to reach a conclusion I feel that I wanna find it out with them. Sometimes I can't put the book down because I wanna know what's next. Cassie's inside conflict was kind of ridiculous for me but the issue about the evil spirit was kind of cool.

2. The characters

I tried really reall...more
♥Xeni♥
Woot, just reread this! My main point? I wish that they had taken the last scene (actually, all of it) and at least stuck that one into the tv show. Eerie red lights and weird shadow figures killing grandma's? Freaky as shit! Instead, we get parents murdering their parents. Yeah, that might be more 'realistic' in a witch drama show. Maybe. Actually, a demon/devil/spirit dude killing for revenge is a lot more likely of a scenario.

Completely easy to read by now, but it's still a good book. This on...more
Miss J
Review at Miss Book Reviews.

*WARNING: This section contains spoilers for the first book!*

Now that Cassie is officially in 'The Club' and now known as one of the 'in' group at school she finds life so much better, she feels welcome and wanted, not like a diseaseeveryoneis trying to avoid. Unfortunately for her she isdealingwith her desires for Adam, Diana's boyfriend, whom she fell in love with on the beach last summer (One meeting is all it took...). She loves Diana and she would never want to...more
Cindy
Cassie is being blackmailed by Faye. But doing what Faye asks will be the ultimate form of betrayal. Will Cassie go through with it?
If she doesn't, she runs the risk of destroying her relationship with Diana, and perhaps the entire Circle. But if she does, something evil might be unleashed on New Salem. An old and very powerful evil.

In my review of The Initiation, I mentioned I'm biased on this trilogy. Biased as fuck. Wish I wasn't, but I am.

For one thing, I was obsessed with the TV show. I als...more
Monica
Captiva este volumul doi, continuarea voulumului Ritualul ambele facand parte din trilogia Cercul secret. La fel ca si la Ritualul, cartea am cumparat-o de la revista BRAVO! Dupa parerea mea, atuul lui L.J.Smith este descrierea personajelor pe care le face aproape perfecte, in orice caz superbe e un cuvant banal.
Din nou, coperta nu m-a atras prea mult;insa stiam de talentul autoarei si totusi am cumparat-o.

Actiunea continua de unde a ramas, cu vorbele necrutatoarei Faye spunand ca protagonista e...more
Juliet-Camille
description

YA from the 80's and 90's makes me so giddy with delight. It's so tame, and refreshing, and I dare say comforting, more so than the YA being released today. Its almost a completely different genre.

This latest installment of The Secret Circle shows how deeply Cassie and the rest of the circle are involving themselves in both light and dark magic.

(view spoiler)...more
Lola
The whole book is about Cassie being blackmailed by Faye, because she knows about all the romantic encounters with Adam. And it is also about how the Circle starts to fall apart and being reckless.
I really liked this book more than the last one; there was a lot of witchcraft, action and romance. Also, some characters really grew throughout this book. We get to see a new side of both cousins, Nick and Deborah, who seemed irrelevant to the plot before and now I count them among one of my favorite...more
Fani
This book was even better than the first one! We get to know more things about the people who form the circle something i really needed because i couldn't distinguish them in the first book. Twelve characters were a lot for me to handle and i'm really impressed with the author because not only she manages to involve them all in the action but she also made each of them unique.

I'm glad Cassie got more stronger in this book both in spirit and in magic, seeing the main character being weak all the...more
Sheryl
Read this whole series back when i was 13-14 and i was BLOWN away by it.... so much so i DESPERATELY wanted to be a witch... hmmm... maybe i just wanted Adam.... :)
Deelasha Rayamajhi
better than the first one. cassie caught in faye's web. her feelings towards adam. 2 dances homecoming and Halloween. faye using the skull for her own good. cassie's deciding vote makes Faye the coven leader. faye's eagerness causes black john's spirit to kill her grandmom. then b4 she dies she tells about the master plan of black john of mixing the couples and how their parents got married. then how all of them got pregnant which resulted all of them being born within a month. then their parent...more
Erica N
I couldnt put it down finished it in just a few hours.cant wait to read the third one tomorrow.
Stef
J'abandonne cette saga, Mon Dieu que c'est nul ...
Monica
Don't remember much from this one.
The Secret Circle series picks up a bit in its second book, The Captive. The plot thickens, some surprising back story is revealed and Cassie is slightly less irritating. But just slightly.

Halloween has come to New Salem and that means the Club is both going to the high school dance and hanging around in the cemetery. Black John's crystal skull is still wreaking havoc, as is Faye. While Faye is supposed to be the mean girl, and basically Cassie's arch nemesis, I like her. She sees that Cassie is...more
Eleionomae
Okey, I must agree on what people around me say about the second book in the secret circle series, it does gets better. But, there is a big but (and no I don't quite get the idea that the characters in the books have big butts with all their little perfect slim bodies) and that is that I find the books to childish. WTF is the whole; I'm gonna tell it to Diana and other blabla shizzle, about?

Yeah I know ya'll like sixteen or seventeen, but grow op and get a life! Adam belongs to Cassie, end of d...more
Madhumal Gunetileke
First of all - I've seen the 'The Secret Circle' TV series before I started reading the books. While the TV series was not too shabby, the series of books definitely ramp everything up a few notches. I'm surprised that the plot in the series doesn't follow the books more closely, cos it damn should! :)

Being the second book in the series, everything definitely ramps up in here, compared with the first book. While the series overall deals with the 'nothing-new' storyline of witches and magic, the...more
Alexia
Τώρα πια η Κάσι ανήκει στον Μυστικό Κύκλο. Η γνώμη της μετράει και τα υπόλοιπα μέλη την αντιμετωπίζουν ως ίση. Από την άλλη όμως θα μπλεχτεί σε μια διαμάχη που δεν είναι δική της ως θύμα των εκβιασμών ενός άλλου μέλους. Η Κάσι κατά την γνώμη μου είναι ακόμη πολύ αθώα και άπειρη δίπλα στα άλλα μέλη και αυτό την θέτει άμεσα σε μειονεκτική θέση. Όταν θα έρθει όμως αντιμέτωπη με την αλήθεια, όταν θα αντικρίσει το σκοτεινό πρόσωπο του Κακού, όταν θα νιώσει την έκταση της δύναμής της να ρέει μέσα της...more
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Η L. J. Smith είναι μια από τις πιο πολυσυζητημένες συγγραφείς στον κόσμο. Οι λόγοι, πολλοί και διάφοροι, ανάμεσα στους οποίους μπορούμε να ξεχωρίσουμε ορισμένους. Ο πρώτος εξ αυτών, έχει να κάνει με το γεγονός ότι ο εκδοτικός της οίκος, μετά από μακροχρόνια συνεργασία, την πέταξε έξω από τα projects που η ίδια δημιούργησε. Ο δεύτερος, με το ότι οι δύο πιο δημοφιλείς σειρές της, μεταφέρθηκαν στη μικρή οθόνη, η μία με μεγάλη επιτυχία και η δεύτερη, έχοντας μικρότερη τύχη. Ο τρίτος και τελευταίος...more
Mariana
Brina
Cassie scheint endgültig in New Salem angekommen zu sein. Nachdem sie sich wochenlang an dem eher ruhigen Ort unwohl fühlte, hat sie im Hexenzirkel ihre neue Heimat gefunden. Mit Diana verbindet sie eine tiefe Freundschaft, die allerdings die ersten Risse bekommt, denn ausgerechnet Adam ist der Mann ihrer Träume, doch dieser ist bereits seit Jahren mit Diana zusammen.
Dennoch kommen sich Adam und Cassie näher, was nicht unentdeckt bleibt, denn ausgerechnet Faye's Spione entdecken die Beiden und t...more
Duca Blueheart
Romanian review:

Inca ma gandesc de ce am dat trei stelute acestei carti, care a fost o mare harababura. Exceptand faptul ca Cassie s-a aratat mai puternica decat mi-o imaginam, toata cartea s-a invartit in jurul lui Faye de a deveni conducatoarea Cercului, lucru pe care de altfel il si reuseste.

Nu pot spune ca acum i-as da aceeasi nota cartii, insa acum realizez ca nu am nici o intentie de a o reciti curand.

Poate ca sunt dura, insa consider ca de data aceasta actiunea s-a axat mult prea mult pe...more
Amanda
The Captive is the second book in the Secret Circle trilogy by L J Smith. In this book Faye tightens her hold around Cassie - blackmailing her over her love for Adam and forcing her to betray Diana. At the same time the Circle learns that a dark power is on the loose and killing, and Cassie begins to suspect that the crystal skull recovered from Black John's articles is behind the deaths.

L J Smith has written a number of trilogies in the YA paranormal arena, and excels at the format. The middle...more
Jennifer (Books That Spark)
THIS REVIEW, AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME, IS FOR THE FIRST PART OF THE CAPTIVE. IT SHALL BE UPDATED AT A LATER DATE.

The Captive Part 1 is the first part of the second instalment in The Secret Circle book series written by L. J. Smith. When the book series was first published back in 1992, both parts of The Captive were published in one book. I have made the decision to review The Captive Part 1 and The Captive Part 2 separately rather than as a whole because I like to review books as I read them.

The...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Faye is still blackmailing Cassie to get her to do things for her. Faye knows about Cassie's and Adam's feelings for each other so she is always threatening to tell Diana. Faye wants to be the leader of their coven and she is using Cassie’s secret to get her vote.

They find this crystal skull and form a circle releasing darkness. Every time the skull is used someone is killed. Diana hides the skull in the sand on the beach. Faye wants the skull very bad. So she tells Cassie to get it for her or...more
Lade Tawak
In book 2 of The Secret Circle, Faye's blackmail of Cassie comtinues.

Cassie discovers that the skull that Adam found causes people to die whenever it is used(activated).
It is also discovered that Cassie is a full witch. Her father is Black John who practiced the dark arts.

Cassie's grandmother reveals a lot of helpful information to the circle after Black John attacks their house looking for his Book of Shadows. She also tells Cassie where to find her Book of Shadows. Cassie's mum is stunned afte...more
Tânia
The Captive is certainly more able to leave you captive of this second book than the first in the series. Faye blackmails Cassie into helping her satisfy the hunger for power, leaving the new witch in a precarious position where she has to decide for herself if she will give in to Faye’s threats of revealing the “silver cord” secret between Cassie and Adam to Diana, ruining their friendship, or join the mischievous power. The other members of the circle have a more active role in this book. Nick...more
V.A. Manning
(Review for the entire series)

This was a wonderfully written series about Witches. I loved the character development, the setting, and the way that magic is done in the world of New Salem. I also love the connection with the Salem Witches in this book - wonderful touch. It shows witches as a force of good, but also shows that darkness can be addictive, and that you should harm none with your powers.

Definitely a series I would recommend for anyone that enjoys books about witches!
Jocey
Feb 16, 2009 Jocey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Amanda Y., Ashley R.
Recommended to Jocey by: Daniellesof2014
The Captive Part 1, by Lisa J. Smith, is a book about a girl who is trapped under Faye’s trick. The main character is Cassie. She is 16 years old, and has blue eyes, and light brown hair. This book takes place in New, Salem. Cassie’s main internal struggle is that she is afraid of hurting her friend. Her main external struggle is that she is under Faye’s trick.

During my time reading this book I made a text-to-self connection. There was a part in the book where Cassie had to help a friend out....more
Fantasy Literature
The Captive is the second book in the Secret Circle trilogy by L.J. Smith. In this book Faye tightens her hold around Cassie, blackmailing her over her love for Adam and forcing her to betray Diana. At the same time the Circle learns that a dark power is on the loose and killing, and Cassie begins to suspect that the crystal skull recovered from Black John's articles is behind the deaths.

L.J. Smith has written a number of trilogies in the YA paranormal arena, and excels at the format. The middle...more
  • The Graduation (Final Friends, #3)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • The Challenge Box (Circle of Three, #14)
  • Silent Stalker
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th...more
More about L.J. Smith...
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9) Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6) Origins (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #1) Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)

“You're a witch, she reminded herself. You should love cemeteries. They're probably your natural habitat.” 12 likes
“I won't feel. . . But that was impossible. She couldn't help feeling.” 10 likes