Start by marking “La tabla de Flandes” as Want to Read:
La tabla de Flandes

La tabla de Flandes

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  13,855 Ratings  ·  666 Reviews
An outstanding collection of award-winning books and authors Santillana USA has compiled a selection of the most popular books in Spanish under the Alfaguara imprint. The world-renowned authors cover a range of genres including novels, short stories, anthologies, and poetry.A secret that could have changed the history of Europe is hidden in the chess game depicted in a fif ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Alfaguara (first published 1990)

My friend Cathy (also a chessplayer) told me I had to read this, and she was indeed right. I couldn't put it down, and finished it in about a day. It's... well, what is it? I read it as a kind of postmodernist reimagining of Alice Through The Looking-Glass. Other books I immediately thought of were The Name of the Rose, Gödel, Escher, Bach and Luzhin's Defense.

Formally, it's a very stylized murder mystery. Julia, the sexy but childlike Alice figure, is a Madrid art restorer. She receives an unu
Feb 18, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: intellectual mystery lovers, art history scholars, fatalists
Well that was just as good as I remembered. Everything I said below still holds true. The tale may have felt a bit more heavy handed this time, but I think that's only because I knew who the murderer was and as Sherlock Holmes says, "I only saw it because I knew what I was looking for." It didn't diminish the pleasure of the experience.

This re-read had me focusing a lot more on characterization since I didn't have to be obsessively caught up in the mystery. What is beautifully done here is showi
Matthew Roche
I wanted so badly to love this book.

The simplest way to describe it is the novelisation of Douglas Hofstadter's opus, "Godel, Escher, Bach." In fact, it is impossible to believe that Perez-Reverte had finished G.E.B. more than ten minutes before furiously scribing "The Flanders Panel."

I wanted to love it because I love books based on puzzles and logic, and GEB may be one of my favorite books of all time.

But the novel is just so weak. The characters (charicatures?) were flat and absurd - how many
Sep 07, 2015 Vaso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book almost 16 years ago, but I still remember how fascinated I was after.
For me, back in the '90-'00s, if you haven't read a book of Mr Reverte, couldn't have a clue about his writing skills!
I recommend this one, to anyone who adores art and mystery, especially if they are bond so well in a book
Dec 15, 2008 Bob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a birthday present and took it with me on our Thanksgiving trip. I wish I had taken the Manhattan phone book instead. It would have had a lot more interesting characters and none of them would be such implausible things as the characters of this novel. The whole structure is so contrived it ultimately collapses under its own weight. The book is built around a convoluted metaphor like "art is chess is life is art," but the harder the author works at it, the more tenuous it becomes. ...more
Chrissa Vasileiou
Ακόμα ένα εξαιρετικό βιβλίο του Ρεβέρτε,που συμπληρώνει το top 3 μου από βιβλία του.Αν "Η λέσχη Δουμάς" είναι ένα βιβλίο που θα σύστηνα στους βιβλιόφιλους,αυτό εδώ θα το σύστηνα στους λάτρεις της τέχνης και του σκακιού.Ο Ρεβέρτε αναμειγνύει με θαυμαστό τρόπο το παρελθόν και το παρόν,στήνοντας μια ιστορία χωρίς κανένα κενό,χρονικό,θεματικό,λεπτομερειακό ή άλλο.Είναι φανερό πως ο συγγραφέας κατέχει όχι μόνο τη λογοτεχνική γλώσσα,αλλά κι εκείνη της έρευνας για κάθε ένα από τα αντικείμενα που απαρτί ...more
I have mixed feelings about this book. The plot is connected to both art history and chess. Well, in a former life (or my youth if you prefer), I was an art historian. In fact I was prepared to do a doctoral thesis on a series of paintings by Rembrandt. I bring that up because it was exciting for me to read a fictional story, a mystery no less, using art as the basis but it was like going back in time. I had to get back to a different way of thinking. Even more so with the chess angle.

The probl
Mark Hebwood
Overall, I liked this fine. Characters had real depth, were idiosyncratic, querky, troubled, colourful, and well-developed. The plot was complex, and Arturo managed to create an unusual whodunit by peppering his detective story with elements from the arcane worlds of reverse-chess and philosophy of perception.

Beginning to sound a little bit weird? Yes that is also what I thought. Sure, Arturo differentiates himself from the pack by writing something I might call a "literary thriller". But I cou
Mar 01, 2013 Harold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent! I love this blend of top shelf entertainment, intrigue and mystery which at the same time informs the reader of the mores of the Art World, the in and outs of restoring paintings, and, most prominently, the game of chess. As mediocre a player as I am, I was still able to follow the descriptions and logic of the moves and the use of a 500 year old chess game that is relevant to the mystery unfolding before us is just flat-out clever.

Reverte also wrote The Club Dumas, another book that
3,5 αστέρια.
Είναι ένα από τα ελάχιστα βιβλία που οι εκδότες δεν το αφήνουν να πεθάνει επανεκδίδοντάς το αέναα. Το συγκεκριμένο είχε φτάσει στην 21η έκδοση το 2009 σύμφωνα με το αντίτυπο που έχω. Φαίνεται πως βρήκαν άλλη μια κότα να τους γεννάει χρυσά αυγά στο διηνεκές, αυτό δείχνει και η σταθερή ακατέβατη τιμή του εδώ και τόσα χρόνια.

Παρότι του έβαλα, τελικά, 3,5 αστέρια δεν θα το σύστηνα σε όσους δεν γνωρίζουν ή δεν αγαπούν το σκάκι. Σας προειδοποιώ ότι η βαθμολογία μου είναι προκατειλημένη. Σκ
Nov 17, 2015 AnaΣtaΣia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually it is 3,5/5 stars but I didn't have the heart to put only 3 stars in this book!
Sep 08, 2016 São rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como a sinopse refere, uma jovem restauradora de obras de arte, descobre uma inscrição oculta na pintura em que se encontra a trabalhar. Um quadro que retracta uma partida de xadrez disputada entre duas personagens, sendo que foi pintado dois anos após o assassinato de uma delas.
A partir do momento em que este facto, bem como a inscrição misteriosa se tornam perceptíveis, um desencadear de situações e de acontecimentos, transformam a vida pacata de Júlia (a restauradora) num reboliço imparável.
May 31, 2012 Louize rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"I would say that chess has more to do with the art of murder than it does with the art of war.”

The Flanders Panel is the picture of Chess in its truest form.
Every piece is a character. Every move is an influence. To win it, you must cross death.

“Amazing,” he murmured.

There is no better word to describe it. The enigma itself may not be that surprising, but the steps undertaken to manipulate, and likewise, to uncover it was engaging.

Jan 06, 2008 Trini rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This disappointed me, especially since it came so highly recommended. I just couldn't buy into it though. The plot was absurd and unbelievable in numerous places. The characters lacked common sense. Let's see...someone is trying to kill me...I think I'll go out late at night by myself and cruise around the city, hail taxis, go to a nice restaurant, and then head back to my apartment for a quiet night by myself where the killer just so happens to know I live. That kind of crap really grated on me ...more
Snoozie Suzie
I really enjoyed this to start, but by the end I was disappointed. What didn't bother me at the beginning did in the end as it was kind of unfinished due to lack of character involvement/development which left it all hanging a bit and so unsatisfactory.

The chess side of things was very clever, but got a bit overwhelming toward the end I felt. But a clever alternative view of a murder mystery. In a way it reminds me of a Nancy Drew mystery as they often revolved around objects.
Nov 29, 2014 Licinia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-2014
Adiei, e adiei a leitura deste livro por receio, afinal foi infundado, pois gostei muito de "A Tábua de Flandres". Os dois ou três livros que já li de Arturo Pérez-Reverte não foram satisfatórios, mas a sinopse deste agradou-me e resolvi tentar uma vez mais e em boa a hora o fiz!
Majo's Library.
Ajedrez retrospectivo que llega a su clímax con J.S Bach sonando de fondo. Una obra de arte que data del S. XV con una inscripción oculta. Una restauradora, un aficionado al ajedrez y un coleccionista de antigüedades se ven envueltos en un juego que los convierte en piezas claves.
Haider Hussain
Sep 21, 2015 Haider Hussain rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes with this one. Alas!

Flanders Panel opened up brilliantly and hooked me right in. Nonetheless, what started with arts and history culminates into a mundane anti-climax (You don’t see such a miserable finale often). Pathetic!

No spoilers here, but I can’t help sharing a particularly foolish, absurd and downright annoying inference from such a sublime and graceful game of Chess. Hold your breaths and read this conversation between two characters:

“The mathematical aspect of chess,” h
The book's main theme is a painting by Peter van Huys. Julia is restoring paintings and a painting representing a chess game between the Duke of Flanders and his knight is her current task. While running her tests she discovers a hidden message under the tablecloth saying: Who killed the knight? So Julia starts trying to solve the mystery of a murder that took place centuries ago. But murders start taking place around Julia and then the chess game becomes a death threat.

Although the book starte
Jul 13, 2016 Remo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Con este libro, me aficioné definitivamente a Reverte, de quien tan solo había leído por aquel entonces El húsar y la sombra del águila. Acusan a Reverte de muchas cosas al escribir, pero lo cierto es que yo disfruto como un enano leyéndole (otras novelas más modernas han dejado de gustarme, como la del pintor de batallas o el francotirador paciente, pero es un estilo distinto).
Novela muy entretenida y con mucha enjundia histórica y cultureta. Absolutamente recomendable.
Jun 10, 2009 Catherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
For the most part "The Flanders Panel" was a disappointment. It was undoubtedly well-researched, but the plot didn't grab me. I never felt that tug pulling me to the book and forcing me to continue reading. I could put it down at any moment. I like this author, but I found this book cliched and shallow. The characters lacked depth, and there was a repetitive quality to the prose, so that I found myself correctly anticipating how a sentence would end. I had difficulty connecting with his world of ...more
Apr 29, 2012 Debra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I really wanted to like this book because the premise was so great. Guess I wasn't quite enough the intellectual to understand all the philosopher references, all the Latin, and, of course, the chess - even though the chess-game-run-backwards was painfully explained at one point (even enough for this novice to understand).

Plus the characters were not believable and seemed stereotyped. The author went out of his way to describe one's beauty, and one's sophistication, etc., ad nauseum. Great premi
May 22, 2008 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like other Pérez-Reverte books, this one initially consumed me. All the elements of his novels are present: interesting and complex characters, a modern mystery that plays out against a historical backdrop, in-depth descriptions that bring to life arcane subjects - in Club Dumas the antique book trade, in Fencing Master fencing, in this book, chess.

Unlike other Pérez-Reverte books, however, this one lost me in the last quarter when the mystery was resolved. I found the revelation of who and why
Nov 10, 2008 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Read as a trashy mystery novel, there's really nothing objectionable about this, although for some reason, I was really expecting more. Especially galling was the villain, complete with a needlessly complicated, and mostly pointless, plan that seems to exist only so that the novel might exist. When the villain finally gives an explanatory monologue at the end, the rationale is, quite frankly, kind of offensive (and it feels unintentionally so).

The chess and historical subplots ended up seeming r
Oct 11, 2016 Labijose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de las primeras novelas del gran Pérez-Reverte. Una joven restauradora de arte, a cuyas manos llega un cuadro del Renacimiento donde se esconde un gran secreto. A partir de ahí teje una novela de aventuras y acción, que sin estar ni mucho menos entre sus mejores obras, se lee con interés. El tejer la trama como una partida de ajedrez le da un toque de originalidad, y cada movimiento de la partida da lugar a un acontecimiento en la narración. Recomendable.
Ioana Nicolae
Jul 14, 2016 Ioana Nicolae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the idea, I liked the setting, I even liked the chess (which I know next to nothing about). What I didn't like was how "impressed" everyone was with an art historian being able to make a timeline of events. Ok, I know this was pre-internet, but this man is an art HISTORIAN and what else does an historian do than research books about past events? If I'd read one more person describing Alvaro as "impressive" I would have murdered the book before the murderer had a chance to act. I also did ...more
Maria Beltrami
Un delitto vecchio di 500 anni, un quadro che ne ritrae il mistero sotto forma di una partita di scacchi, una trama che si dipana tra la scacchistica e il mondo dell'antiquariato spagnolo.
Purtroppo il legame con la scacchistica è veramente troppo stretto, e se non si ha una infarinatura in alcuni punti diventa difficile dipanare i ragionamenti che portano al disvelamento delle varie mosse, ragionamenti che oltretutto sono infarciti di temi legati alla musica di Bach (e chi non conosce l'Offerta
Oct 13, 2015 Terra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is set in Madrid and offers suspense, deceit, the world of art history, friendship and betrayal, the intricacies of chess, and murder. Julia is an art restorer who is working on a painting from the fifteenth century, which shows a noble, his lady, a knight and a chess game in progress. As Julia and her friends try to answer the question of who killed the knight with the clues in the painting, the game reaches out to the present time and threatens Julia and her friends. The characters o ...more
Jul 08, 2007 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perez-Reverte writes fast-paced witty novels, mostly based in his home country of Spain. The Flanders Panel was the first of his that I read, and maybe the very best. It has a mystery and a puzzle about the Flanders Panel, which (if I remember, after many years), has a hidden message in it that reveals an old mystery. Wonderful book.
Good read. Not great. 3 47 Nov 23, 2013 02:27PM
La Stamberga dei ...: La tavola fiamminga di Arturo Pérez-Reverte 1 3 Nov 23, 2013 07:49AM
Around the World: Spain: Louise recommends The Flanders Panel 1 11 Nov 18, 2011 05:51AM
  • The Raphael Affair (Jonathan Argyll, #1)
  • Lemprière's Dictionary
  • The Forgery of Venus
  • The Last Cato
  • The Fencing Master by Arturo Pérez-Reverte Summary  Study Guide
  • Four Hands: A Novel
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • The Intelligencer
  • The Minutes of the Lazarus Club
  • Stone Virgin
  • El camino
  • The Sidewalk Artist
  • The Art Detective: Fakes, Frauds, and Finds and the Search for Lost Treasures
  • The Athenian Murders
  • El lejano país de los estanques (Bevilacqua y Chamorro, #1)
  • The Pale Blue Eye
Spanish novelist and ex-journalist. He worked as a war reporter for twenty-one years (1973 - 1994). He started his journalistic career writing for the now-defunct newspaper Pueblo. Then, he jumped to news reporter for TVE, Spanish national channel. As a war journalist he traveled to several countries, covering many conflicts. He put this experience into his book 'Territorio Comanche', focusing on ...more
More about Arturo Pérez-Reverte...

“You don't choose your friends, they choose you, and you either reject them or you accept them without reservations.” 72 likes
“Chess is all about getting the king into check, you see. It's about killing the father. I would say that chess has more to do with the art of murder than it does with the art of war.” 23 likes