Start by marking “The Gorgeous Georgians (Horrible Histories)” as Want to Read:
The Gorgeous Georgians (Horrible Histories)

The Gorgeous Georgians (Horrible Histories)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In a world where the boys wore make-up and highwaymen ruled the roads, Terry Deary has uncovered some of the horrible truths about the Gorgeous Georgians in this riotous addition to the Horrible Histories range.

In this, another howling success for the series, famous villains like Rob Roy, Dick Turpin and Blackbeard, who all became folk heroes over time, are given the onc

Published February 20th 1998 by Hippo / Scholastic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gorgeous Georgians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gorgeous Georgians

Nur Ain Z.
3.5. Goodreads seriously should consider adding .5 to its rating scale.

Gorgeous Georgians discusses the reign of King George I - IV and what had happened in those era. My personal favourites from this book would be the horrible facts about their food and Georgian words. It's still English, though some words had different meanings back then. Like respectable used to mean polite, a wooden suit is what they would call a coffin back then. Odsbodikins was a swear word but is now long forgotten. Now,
Kathleen
It's no secret; I love the Horrible Histories. The Gorgeous Georgians is a reread; a comic book of history which covers the Georgian era of English history, between the Stuarts and the Victorians. Terry Deary writes a captivating, funny, intelligent, approrpriately gruesome, and as far as I can tell absolutely accurate little book on the more terrible aspects of the Georgian age. He also throws in some not-so-horrible tidbits.

This would be a five-star, but for two things. One, the Horrible Histo
Marta Sadzewicz
this is my kind of history book :) I have learnt more from it than I did in high school...great book for all ages and one of many in the series.
Neenee
3.5 stars. Entertaining & Funny. But I like their TV series better.
Suhayb
Its terrible the amount of children who died, :(
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I didn't really know what to expect from this book. My son and I have been watching the tv shows (and we love them). I know the books are wildly popular with primary school aged children. Which is fantastic. I remember history being taught at school as so awful, so boring. Of course this isn't history as it was taught at school. Focusing on the gruesome, gross, funny and quaint- which is very sensible when you're trying to appeal to kids. I did learn lots of fascinating facts, but somehow it was ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Refreshingly not politically correct. Loved the comic strips which rendered perfectly well on my Kindle. I was most interested in the Scottish history (e.g. Jacobite Rebellion) and the personal hygiene and fashion of the period. Had I still been a child I'm sure I'd have given this 5 stars. The only one I read and enjoyed back then was The Vile Victorians.
Marjolein
READ IN ENGLISH

I've always been a great fan of the BBC historical sketch show Horrible Histories. So, when I found these books in a London book-store, I was really excited and my sister and I bought about 8 books *oops*.

I don't want to read them all in a row, because then I will run out far too soon. So, this is my fourth HH book since August.

I really liked it, and on the way even learned some things about those Gorgeous Georgians.
Nayantara
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
Carmen
Parts of this book made me laught out loud. Talk about making history alive. There are a few pages about pirates. The reality, not Hollywood. It's interactive as there are facts and the reader has to decide if it is true or false. walking the plank, false. head-scarves, true.
Catherine Woodman
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Grace C
This book provides all the historical facts that are never supplied formally in school. A funny, sometimes disgusting, insight of what it was like living during the Georgian time (mind you, they are not at all gorgeous).
Shirley
This is a fun factual history book about the Georgians. I would have enjoyed history more in high school if they had more books like this.
Ashley
Sep 17, 2012 Ashley added it

I didn't think it was as well-written as other books in the series. It seemed much less cohesive and jumped around more. Still an entertaining read, though.
Cherish
Hannah
A fun and entertaining read. A very enjoyable way to learn about this topic.
Donna
Interesting and informative - a great kid's history book.
Becky
Love these glad my daughter loves them too!
Emmapemma
I found the book a bit hard to keep track of.
Alexandra
I frikking loved this series.
Noura
Sep 30, 2013 Noura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Noura by: P.sakagami
A fun way of learning history.
Kezia
Kezia added it
Dec 15, 2014
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Rachel Simson
Rachel Simson marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Vasudha
Vasudha marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • Nasty Nature
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Isaac Newton and His Apple
  • London: The Autobiography
  • Evolve Or Die (Horrible Science)
  • History's Worst Decisions
  • British History for Dummies
  • Einstein and His Inflatable Universe
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • Halfway To Hollywood: Diaries 1980 to 1988 (Palin Diaries, #2)
  • Remember, Remember (The Fifth Of November): The History Of Britain In Bite Sized Chunks
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?
  • Elizabeth I CEO: Strategic Lessons from the Leader Who Built an Empire
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...
The Groovy Greeks The Awesome Egyptians The Rotten Romans The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories) The Terrible Tudors