Start by marking “Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War” as Want to Read:
Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War

Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War

Covering more than four decades, Tour of Duty is the definitive account of John Kerry's journey from war to peace. Written by acclaimed historian Douglas Brinkley, this is the first full-scale, intimate account of Kerry's naval career. In writing this riveting narrative, Brinkley has drawn on extensive interviews with virtually everyone who knew Kerry well in Vietnam, incl ...more
Published January 6th 2004 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tour of Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tour of Duty

Rebecca McNutt
Terrifying and emotional, Tour of Duty gives its readers a look at what being in the Vietnam War was really like, from the moral decisions that had to be made, to the horrors witnessed by the author.
aPriL does feral sometimes
As this book is a campaign biography, written about John Kerry when he was running for President (he is currently America’s Secretary of State), he is shown to be a Perfect Gentleman. I don’t believe he is Perfect, but he definitely is a very interesting and exceptional person. There is a huge section in back of the book of Notes and a Selected Bibliography, along with an extensive Index, so if one is interested, fact-checking is easy, if not quick to do.

Kerry seems very energetic, intelligent,
Liam
This book was well-written enough to earn four stars, but I had to dock it one star for both sloppy research & poor copy-editing. I did not write down every error, and I am not going to enumerate them here. I will, however, address the most egregious error of fact in this book, which is on page 271. Professor Brinkley states in the first paragraph that the young girl in Huynh Cong "Nick" Ut's well known photograph, Kim Phuc, was "[...] fleeing in anguish from North Vietnam's bombing of her ...more
S.
Feb 21, 2013 S. rated it liked it
Shelves: hookah
well this will be a fun review. at time of writing (10 Jan 2013), only 45 reads and 3 reviews. author Douglas Brinkley, not to be confused with the other professor/writer Alan Brinkley, is apparently something of a super teacher, convincing his university's administration to allow him to take an entire class on the road Ken Kesey style, a celebration of americana, hunter s. thompson, national parks, and hard rock music. god. i wish my professors were that cool. The Majic Bus

unfortunately, great
Jon
Aug 10, 2010 Jon added it
I started reading it before the Maryland Democratic primary, in part to figure out for whom to vote. The book left me with mixed feelings. I ended up voting for Kerry, but it was perhaps in spite of the book. Not that the book made him unlikable...

Of course, since I voted absentee ballot, my vote wasn't counted until after Edwards had already dropped out, so I'm not sure what the point of all that was.

The book made Kerry seem like a thoughtful, principled man. I like the idea of having a Preside
Will Byrnes
This focuses on John Kerry's time in Vietnam, and his relationship with the war as an anti-war activist and then as a potential and then a real representative. It portrays him as a truly courageous guy, gung ho about getting done the job at hand, but thoughtful about the bigger picture as well, not only politically but in a tactical military sense. There is much detail about his time in 'Nam, much of it a chilling look at the murky line between atrocity and justifiable action. I found very ...more
George Briggs
Sep 20, 2014 George Briggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vietnam -Full Circle

Douglas Brinkley's long account of John Kerry's Vietnam tour of duty makes transparent the frustrations and cruelties of an unjustified conflict. Perhaps, only in hindsight can we learn from the mistakes of the past. America is fortunate to have John Kerry serving as Secretary of State!
Mark Widman
Jun 15, 2013 Mark Widman rated it really liked it
Good book I understand the strain that the soldiers were under and feeling that they were not respected and how they wanted answers why they were in Vietnam And who they were serving.
Arnold Putans
Arnold Putans rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2012
kathy daily
kathy daily rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2012
Albert
Albert rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Tom Krepitch
Tom Krepitch rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Derek
Derek rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Dale Stonehouse
Dale Stonehouse rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Richard Gouse
Richard Gouse rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2008
Ogreart Art
Ogreart Art rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
May 20, 2007
Mary Kristine
Mary Kristine rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2010
Jreid
Jreid rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2009
Debbie Horst
Debbie Horst rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2009
Christopher Ross
Christopher Ross rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Bill Colburn
Bill Colburn rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
B. Cheng
B. Cheng rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Douglas Brinkley is a professor of history at Rice University and a contributing editor at Vanity Fair. The Chicago Tribune has dubbed him “America’s new past master.” His most recent books are The Quiet World, The Wilderness Warrior, and The Great Deluge. Six of his books have been selected as New York Times Notable Books of the Year. He lives in Texas with his wife and three children.
More about Douglas Brinkley...