Start by marking “Alice et la Rivière Souterraine (Alice, #52)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Alice et la Rivière So...

Carolyn Keene

Alice et la Rivière Souterraine (Nancy Drew #52)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,686 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Nancy and her friends become involved in a search for lost treasure.
182 pages
Published 1979 by Hachette (first published January 1st 1975)

Loraine
SUMMARY: Gold! There are rumors that long ago a treasure was hidden in a city now buried under the Nevada desert.
Nancy and her friends plan to join a dig sponsored by two colleges to hunt for the gold. Before she starts, the young sleuth receives an ancient stone tablet with petroglyphs on it. With this amazing clue, however, come a threat and danger from a thief who also wants the treasure.

REVIEW: I have not read a Nancy Drew mystery since childhood but still found they are fun to read. The cha
John Yelverton
Sep 30, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another wonderful adventure in the Nancy Drew book series.
Wenqian-1e3
Jun 07, 2009 Wenqian-1e3 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Nancy and her friends plan to join a dig sponsored by two colleges to hunt for the gold . Before she starts , the young sleuth receives an ancient stone tablet with petroglyphs on it . With this amazing clue , however , come a threat and danger from a thief who also wants the treasure .
One harrowing adventure after another besets Nancy , Bess , George , Ned , Burt , and Dave in 102 degree temperatures as they pursue Nancy's hunches above and below ground . They are assisted by a fine Indian w
Xyra
Jun 24, 2015 Xyra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really was not fond of this Nancy Drew mystery. It was missing the depth i am used to seeing. The copyright notes 1975...I believe that means the original "Carolyn Keene" was retired and her first replacement wrote this. (of course, if you look further into the author situation there was more than one person using this pseudonym.)

Like other Nancy Drew mysteries there are two problems to solve--getting Mrs. Wabash's property returned, deciphering what is written on the tablets she has, and what
Chris.m
Feb 19, 2014 Chris.m rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book to everyone because this book has the best scenes and action scenes and mystery also. I love this book a lot. I'm currently reading books from the Nancy Drew series can't wait to finish them.- This book starts out with Ned (Nancy's best friend) arriving at Nancy's house. He goes there because he wants Nancy to look for some buried treasure near the Sierra Nevada. But then they hear a loud SCREAM!!!!!! they go to see who it was but then they see Fleefoot Joe who had ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story involves archeology and the history of some Native Americans. A woman has some tablets which supposedly tell where a Native American man buried a treasure of golden plates. The tables get stolen and we find out about the bad guy, Fleetfoot Joe.

Nancy makes a fake stone to trip Fleetfoot Joe up, and then joins Ned and the others on the archeological dig. Fleetfoot is all around, as is usual with Nancy villains, but this time he's caught several chapters before the end, the rest of the
Partridge Public
Sep 18, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JF Kee
Shelves: juniorfiction
Keene, Carolyn
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Secret of the Forgotten City is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 52nd book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew and her friends help find and decipher coded tablets that lead to a lost gold treasure and a forgotten city in Nevada.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain age (ahem), my love for
Claire
Jan 29, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
I’ve been a huge Nancy Drew fan since I was little. I always wanted to be like her. She was so brave and smart, and she had the coolest powder blue Mustang convertible (a car that I now have, minus the convertible part.) Every now and then I like to take a trip down memory lane and read a Nancy Drew Mystery.

In this installment of the series, Nancy and her friends head out to Nevada to do a little digging. While they try to recover some ancient Native American artifacts, they’re also trying to hu
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Sep 11, 2013 Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who love a good mystery and some adventure..
My childhood memories are not complete without the mention of Nancy Drew books. I have been a fan of Nancy ever since I read the first book featuring her when I was in the fourth standard.

Nancy is eighteen and an amateur detective. She solves crimes and often her friends Bess, George and Ned also help her.

In the book, "The Secret of the Forgotten City", Nancy and her friends are called to participate in a dig in the Nevada desert where there are rumors of a forgotten city and a hidden gold treas
Meaghan Steeves
Jan 21, 2015 Meaghan Steeves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I thoroughly enjoyed this Drew mystery, I felt minor disappointment that there wasn't as much thrilling danger as other ones. Nonetheless, the original ND Mystery Stories will always be in my top 3 favourite series of all time!
Melanie
Treasure hunt in the Nevada desert! Indian gold.
Nancy luckily speaks some rare Mexican tribal dialect (Trique?) when they encounter strange men.
The Six come up with this tedious code where the third word in each sentence is the important word and they deploy it from time to time but it's more confusing than effective.
At one point they capture one of their tormentors while they're out in the desert, and I guess the police come and pick him up? He just disappears.

Nancy finds an underground river,
Olivia
Mar 05, 2009 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so exiciting! It started out good and just got better and better. The young sleuth is back in the 52nd mystery of the series. Nancy and her friends Ned Nickerson, Bess Marvin, and George Fayne go on a dig in the Nevada desert to slove the mystery of the forgotten city. Before they leave they meet Mrs. Walbash, she had tablets that had petroglyphs on them that told a story of were GOLD was in the nevada desert were they were going on the dig. But before she could show them to Nancy ...more
Sydney
Feb 09, 2015 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is really good, but not so good. It's like a mystery but not exactly. They find out about the forgotten city. find some old stuff and chase after the bad guy.
Maria
Jun 15, 2015 Maria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not remotely scary or suspenseful, super racist (it was written in 1947, so I get it), and just boring. There are much better Nancy Drew books out there.
Raine
All I kept thinking was, "Well that was convenient!". I think I'm either too old for Nancy Drew or have been exposed to other more complex mystery stories. Its was still entertaining an read though.
Kris
Sep 28, 2014 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I was really disappointed in this one! they didn't tie up all the loose ends at the end it just stopped.
Janna
Very interesting. I would like more mystery and not "it just so happens I have the tablet!"
Naelline
Jan 12, 2016 Naelline rated it did not like it
Je me demandais pourquoi je n'aimais pas les Alice quand j'étais jeune... maintenant je m'souviens... Arf. Billet dans le blog quand j'aurai le temps ET surtout le courage...
Opticalillusion
Sep 20, 2014 Opticalillusion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An oldie but a goodie. Has you hooked from page one right to the end.
Elise
Oct 26, 2015 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It always keeps you on your toes!
Lila
my daughter's book.
Kayla Allyson
Jan 21, 2014 Kayla Allyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think the book is intresting and creative i would love to read it again
Tamra
Jun 27, 2011 Tamra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nancy Drew fans
Nancy Drew was better when I was a kid.

Never noticed that they were so mean to Bess. "Watch out how much you eat, cousin. You'll get fat!" That's not nice. And this one had a scene where they drove off the Mexicans. At least Nancy was horrified by that.

Also never noticed how unrealistic the story lines are. Still, they're fun. I'd read another as an adult.
Tabi34
Jan 05, 2014 Tabi34 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Nancy Drew - only 10 more books in the original series. I really thought I would've finished this series long before now, but some days I just can't get excited over reading them.
Corinne
I loved Nancy Drew books when I was younger! I couldn't get enough of them. However, now that I'm older the things that used to scare or suprise me just make me laugh. This book is now a source of entertainment rather than mystery. I encourage younger readers to read Nancy Drew, but it's definitely not something for older readers.
LuAnn
Jan 01, 2015 LuAnn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is implausible with the Nancy Drew Mysteries, then there is Implausible and this one was the latter! I just didn't buy the way they located their "quest object" and the missing clues. For me this is where the series really starts to go down hill for a while.
Kara
Jun 22, 2011 Kara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait until my girls have outgrown their Nancy Drew kick! I think they are a great read for younger tween girls but I am way past that demographic and bored to tears by yet another Nancy Drew mystery.
Ashleigh
Mar 03, 2012 Ashleigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A decent Nancy Drew, it follows the pattern of many others. There's danger, and Nancy and crew miraculously come out unscathed and Nancy is always the best at everything at the end of the day.
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden #30)
  • The Melted Coins (Hardy Boys, #23)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)