Start by marking “The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky: The Creator of El Topo” as Want to Read:
The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky: The Creator of El Topo

The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky: The Creator of El Topo

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Jodorowsky’s memoirs of his experiences with Master Takata and the group of wisewomen--magiciennes--who influenced his spiritual growth

• Reveals Jodorowsky turning the same unsparing spiritual vision seen in El Topo to his own spiritual quest

• Shows how the author’s spiritual insight and progress was catalyzed repeatedly by wisewoman shamans and healers

In 1970, John Len
Published May 27th 2008 by Park Street Press (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiritual Journey of Alejandro Jodorowsky

Andrew
Jodorowsky is a masterful story crafter. His tales, which defy belief, are entertaining, enlightening and profound. This is a great look into Jodo's spiritual life in the time just before the film El Topo and shortly after The Holy Mountain. The journey is largely based in Zen traditions as he studied with his master, a buddhist monk from japan, who declared, "Intellectual, learn to die!" Jodo's artistic vision and intellect remain central despite this call and offer a generous wisdom that only ...more
Melissa Stanley
already one of my favorites. laughs & cries within minutes of each other.
Nick Cato
Unless you're a BIG fan of the Chilean cult film director, you'll probably get through some of this and wonder what the bid deal is. While fans will see how some ideas for his unusual films came to be, Jodorowsky's intent here is to explain what it takes to understand koans, i.e. metaphysical questions given to practicing Buddhists by their masters.

Much of what happened to Jodorowsky on his spiritual journey was quite amazing, from the way he met his master, Ejo Takata, a Zen monk who left Japan
Neal
This was one of the more intense reading experiences I've had. I kept switching from feeling that what I was reading was total bullshit to find it it transcendent and illuminating. It ends up almost being like his movies somehow vulgar and disgusting then beautiful and transcendent, to all of them at the same time.

I'm kind of torn between not telling anyone about this and wanting to tell everyone. Why it ends up being meaningful is sort of hard to put into words because I feel like you end up l
Lisa
Reminiscent of Carlos Castaneda, Jodorowsky takes us on a journey of encounters with magicians, priestesses, and others who practice in the spiritual arts. Like Carlos, Jodorowsky’s ego and self-importance is the focal point of many of his teachers’ lessons. And yet, his consistent connection to his Zen Master weaves the golden thread of teachings that allows the reader to understand why he is taking this journey from one character to the next.

The books wraps up a little sudden, when you kind o
Grantimatter
This book is a weird cluster of synchronicities for me. Pulp writing, Zen, Surrealism - only a third of the way through it started snapping into place with lots of other things I'd been reading.

It's a suprisingly tight little story, with a focused narrative (all that great stuff like character and plot - things that happen to people you believe in), seasoned with good insights into the process of mindfulness and the "meaning" of Zen koans.

If you're not into Buddhism, specifically, you might fi
Juju
Jodorowsky's Mystical Encounters with Miraculous People and his immersion in the study of koans and Zen Buddhist meditation. Like the Fool of the Tarot, Alejandro steps into the unknown, exposing his own damaged childhood psyche and finding himself in completely crazy situations without really bothering that he often portrays himself as a bumbling spiritual barbarian. Reminds me of Carlos Castandeda's books, except most of this probably happened.

It was through reading this book that the idea fin
Dustin Reade
THis book blew my mind. I thought it would be a somewhat flat, reporter-esque sort of thing ala Carlos Castaneda. But boy was I wrong! Jodorowsky is just as gifted with the written word as he is with filmmaking. His encounters with Leonora Carrington are incredibly well written and wonderfully surreal. All in all, it was an interesting look into the life of a gifted artist, as well as a remarkabl;e study on Buddhist Koans (questions that are impossible to answer logically), and an interesting lo ...more
Wendy
this took me a good while to read. so many large ideas covered. bigger than the self. i really loved the explorations into this notion of a spiritual art. or search for truth. whatever you want to call it. at times it got a bit self promoting/absorbed/macho for me and i found myself questioning his authenticity. that said, i'm glad i pushed through it. can't wait to see some of his films.
Gyrus
Written simply and vividly, at a cracking pace, this deeply enjoyable book expands the mind of the reader through the devastating combination of Zen-infused insight, salacious yarns, and a brutal, compassionate honesty about human being. More: http://dreamflesh.com/library/alejand...
Denise
this book was amazing, and reading it afffter seeing all his movies you see how closely aligned they are with his life. it was weird and strange and seems super surreal for it to have actually been his life in a really calming, reassuring but poetic way.
Marksplatter
Jodorowsky describes his primary spiritual influences and reflections as an artist and poet. From Zen masters to native shamans and post-Jungians. He analyzes with anecdotes and reflections on his path of visionary enlightenment.
Elizabeth
Jodorowksy learns from a Zen master Ejo Takata to give up his fear of women and go learn at the knee of Leonora Carrington, dona Magdalena, La Tigressa, and others (lay your sword before the flower, bow down to her...)
Mahmoud
I loved every page,every story and every koan he tried to figure out with his master. true wisdom in small phrases and beautiful soul..a true spiritual journey
Evan
Jordorowsky had some cool experiences. But he is not as enlightened as he wishes he is. Glad I read it but I am not in awe of him anymore.
Astral
WHOA! what a wormhole i fell into with this! The films of Jodorowsky almost overshadowed by his amazing lives he led. Very inspiring words.
Tyler Giese
The material often goes to the land of fantastical. The accounts, though largely based in fiction, are entertaining & thought provoking.
Lepadah
El Topo let me say a must see & read the book. Introduction to this movie years ago...
Those that know ... know.
Kretchin
Again, one of the best books I've ever read. I recommend this to any spiritual being with an open mind.
Blake Palmero
Alejandro is awesome. Brilliant guy with a great sense of storytelling.
Kris
Dec 17, 2010 Kris marked it as to-read
Shelves: mysticism, my-library
Pre-ordered this one... should be here June 16th!
Zatopek
Jodorowsky is a (spiritual) badass.
Jaina Bee
read this too!!
Garek Druss
totally awesome
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
pigeon
pigeon marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Jessica Medrzycki
Jessica Medrzycki marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • Living and Sustaining a Creative Life: Essays by 40 Working Artists
  • Manifestoes of Surrealism
  • My Last Sigh
  • Immoral Tales: European Sex and Horror Movies, 1956-1984
  • Surrealist Women: An International Anthology (Surrealist Revolution Series)
  • Meetings With Remarkable Men
  • Alchemy & Mysticism
  • Cassavetes on Cassavetes
  • How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime
Also credited as Alexandro Jodorowsky

Better known for his surreal films El Topo and The Holy Mountain filmed in the early 1970s, Alejandro Jodorowsky is also an accomplished writer of graphic novels and a psychotherapist. He developed Psychomagic, a combination of psychotherapy and shamanic magic. His fans have included John Lennon and Marilyn Manson.
More about Alejandro Jodorowsky...
The Incal Psicomagia The Metabarons #1: Othon & Honorata La danza de la realidad The Metabarons: Aghnar and Oda, Volume 2

“During a party, Luis Buñuel, seduced by Carrington’s beauty and emboldened by the notion that she had transcended all bourgeois morality, proposed (with his characteristic bluntness) that she become his mistress. Without even waiting for her answer, he gave her the key to the secret studio that he used as a love nest and told her to meet him at three o’clock the next afternoon. Early the next morning, Leonora went to visit the place alone. She found it tasteless: It looked exactly like a motel room. Taking advantage of the fact that she was in her menstrual period, she covered her hands with blood and used them to make bloody handprints all over the walls in order to provide a bit of decoration for that anonymous, impersonal room. Buñuel never spoke to her again.” 13 likes