Start by marking “One of the Guys” as Want to Read:
One of the Guys

One of the Guys

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,514 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
Tomboy to the core, Toni Valentine understands guys. She'll take horror movies, monster hunts and burping contests over manicures. So Toni is horrified when she's sent to the Winston Academy for Girls, where she has to wear a skirt and learn to be a lady while the guys move on without her.

Then Toni meets Emma Elizabeth, a girl at school with boy troubles, and she volunteer
Published February 10th 2015 by Spencer Hill Press

Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
YA Debuts 2015
77th out of 412 books — 3,158 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerQueen of Shadows by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2015
269th out of 1,447 books — 8,355 voters

More lists with this book...

Marga
This review is also posted HERE.

I was really hesitant to read this at first because of its Goodreads rating. However, as I started this one, I'm glad I didn't backed down because of that!

So the story started with Tonya (Toni to her friends) and her guy friends being out in the lake before their senior year starts and they didn’t find what they were looking for. After that, Toni kind of freaked out because it felt like an end and everything’s going to be different after that so she decided to do
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Spencer Hill Contemporary and NetGalley.)

“Toni. Relax,” Ollie whispers to me, rather pleased with himself. At least someone had fun tonight. “What’s the worst that could happen?”
Yeah. Famous last words.

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

This was an okay story, but I lost interest the further into it I got.

“My dad used to joke that the day I wore a skirt would be the day the zombie apocalypse rolled into town. Two hours in and I have y
TheBlueBookworm at Wordpress.com
Super hot male friends? Check

Exploiting your male friends for you own benefit and profit? Check

Messy feelings? CHECK

WILL I BE READING THIS? HELL YES CHECK

(view spoiler)
Melissa (Ever So Mela)

{Ever So Mela}{Bloglovin}{Facebook}{Google+}

So One of the Guys reads like a coming of age story.

We have Toni who is used to living a certain way. She's used to hanging out with her four friends every summer looking for the swamp monster. She's used to going to the same school with the same people. She's used to her old Maxima. She's used to her old clothes. She's not accustomed to change but one action sets forth the beginning of her new life.

People change. Some grow up, some don't. Some leav
Lisa (Lost in Literature)
Feb 08, 2015 Lisa (Lost in Literature) rated it really liked it
One of the Guys caught my attention at first with its adorable cover. Growing up with my two brothers I was definitely a tomboy. Once I was able to dress myself and pick my own interests, dresses and princesses were out the window, and in walked sneakers and sports. I loved spending our evenings and summers playing outside with my brothers, riding our bikes, playing basketball obsessively, and adding some football in for variety. My point to this long story? I was and always will be a tomboy. ...more
Roxanne
Nov 22, 2015 Roxanne rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, netgalley
Thanks to Spencer Hill Contemporary via Netgalley for the free review copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Did I like this book?

Although I did enjoy my time with this one, I think with better writing and/or better editing and a lot more depth, it could have been soooooo much better. The characters were good, but it felt a lot of the time like the author was just skimming the surface. I wanted to feel like these characters were real people, I wanted to know more of Toni's history w
Amelie
Nov 24, 2015 Amelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Jungs to go war eines dieser Feelgood-Bücher, das einem ein paar amüsante, romantische, süße Stunden beschert.

Was mir wohl am Besten hier gefallen hat, das war er Humor der Geschichte, ganz besonders die Szenen in der Skihütte. Das mit dem Poledance... Ich könnte da noch jetzt drüber lachen. Aber generell war Toni eine sympathische Protagonistin mit ner ordentlichen Portion Humor und auch die Nebencharaktere haben mir gefallen.
Eines der größten Themen des Buches ist natürlich Freundschaft. Die F
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Feb 16, 2015 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I live for these sweet contemporary coming of age stories. There is just something so sweet about them. So heartwarming, that I can't help but pick them up every time they cross my path and I am so glad that this is one that I picked up and tried.

Toni and the boys were just fabulous. I love reading about tomboys even though I was never one myself. There is just something endearing about watching them grow up surrounded by boys. And lets talk about those boys! Cowboy, Loch, Ollie, I love
Johnny Bobby
Nov 19, 2015 Johnny Bobby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
***I was provided with an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

Let me first say that when I first read the description, I was excited for this but a little worried because of the whole "monster hunting" plot, as I'm sure that would scare some people away. Also, after reading the first chapter I hated the characters names and I still hated the idea of the "monster hunting".

After the next few chapters I found myself loving these characters and their story. The monster hunting
Katy
Jan 03, 2015 Katy rated it liked it
This was a quick, cute fluff for a cozy afternoon read. Toni is a likable character who's desperately trying to hold on to the past while finding herself adapting to her new life. I like the dynamics of each character and the role they play in this book.

Having said that, I wish that Aldin had taken more advantage of the convenient synopsis she had set up. I think one of the reasons Toni is trying so hard to keep the past within grasp was because of her father. I just wish that we had more of tha
Marie Clarisse
For all of my years as a reader, I've always stood firm to the belief that every book deserves a chance to be read until the very end. This was the reason why every time I found myself reading a book that I wasn't really enjoying so far, I always forced myself to keep going.

Well because, who knows. It just might get better, right?

Wrong.

At the start of 2015, I realized that every time I felt tempted to put down a book but continued to read it nonetheless, I always ended up disappointed, I always
Bespectacledreader
Aug 28, 2014 Bespectacledreader marked it as to-read
When I saw the title and the publication date, I was like
description
I am amazed that no one thought of publishing a book with this title until now. I just hope it will live up to my expectations.
description
Daisy
Feb 09, 2015 Daisy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
So I was totally ready for some a fun contemporary with fluffy romance and that's EXACTLY what I got!

As a kid, I used to be a bit of a tomboy, my best friend was a boy and I didn't get why other girls weren't interested in climbing trees. So I could identify with Toni, even if I turned into a girly girl somewhere during high school. I think One of the Guys was awfully cute, but it also had themes that are so important: friendship, dealing with the loss of a parent and changing relationships. I c
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}

Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

One of the Guys was fairly predictable and not very original, but it was still so very good! I read this in one pretty short sitting. One tip, don't start this late in the evening, because it'll keep you up late finishing it.

Toni Valentine is a tomboy and she understands guys. She prefers horror movies, monster hunts and burping contests over manicures. When Toni is sent to the Winston Academy for Girls, she's horrified. She has to wear a
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank Spencer Hill Press for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

Can I just say that the blurb of this book had me at the first word: Tomboy. Why, you ask? Well, I was a total tomboy growing up. So I knew I would immediately connect with the main character of the book. Then throw in this little business she starts and I knew I'd be in for a fun ride.

Can you imagine being a tombo
Stacee
Jan 09, 2015 Stacee rated it it was ok

I sort of have mixed feeling about this book. I liked the idea of it and I'm such a sucker for BFF to more stories, but it seemed to be lacking something.

I struggled with Toni. It seemed like she was a tomboy for the sake of her father, but it's never really addressed. When she decides to be a bit feminine, it comes across as sudden. Even though she says she's hiding her true self, I never got the impression she wanted anything but men's basketball shorts & ratty tank tops.

A lot o
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

When I first requested this book from Netgalley, I had a lot of hopes for it because I loved the sound of it. But then I checked it out on Goodreads, and it turns out that it had a low rating. Because of that, I lowered my expectations. And then, when I actually read the book, for the first 5% or so of the book, the main character sounded like a kid instead of a senior in high school. Those things made me cringe.

But the thing is, after that 5%, it got better, and I was fi
julieta
4.5

I got this book via Netaglley in exchange for an honest review.

This was an unexpected surprise after having started two books in the day and none caught my attention.
After reading it sort of dawned on me how amazing it was. I don't know how to describe it: it was a realistic coming of age book about friendship with great romance and fabulous characters.

But why...

coming of age? Because it begins as the story of four friends who are growing up and also growing apart because their attachment to
Terri (Le Book Chronicles)
Feb 06, 2016 Terri (Le Book Chronicles) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA romance book lovers
Recommended to Terri (Le Book Chronicles) by: Netgalley
Update: I haven't reread this book but I am updating my rating from 3 stars to 4 stars. My reasoning for this is simply because it's been a year later and I catch myself thinking of this book fondly. Since I have read this book, I've read a few books where the girl is seen as "one of the guys" and I will say this is one of the better ones. Definitely would recommend you pick this one up if you like cute contemporary reads.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by Netgalley in exchange for my h
Rebecca
Feb 09, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
3 Sweet Stars

This was such a sweet enjoyable read. It wasn't an on the edge of your seat, unable to stop reading kind of story, but it was enjoyable none the less.

One of the Guys is the story of Toni Valentine aka McRib. Toni has always been one of the guys. She has had an almost idealistic childhood. One that she is having trouble letting go of. Toni and the guys are getting ready to start their senior year. Toni can feel the changes starting and she is afraid. Aren't we all afraid of change?
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
3.5/5 Stars

A simple, feel-good, coming of age story. Main chick is a tomboy, all her friends are guys, she's in love with one of them. It's not unique but it's cute. It's not overly cheesy (it does have some cheese but that's not always a bad thing, right?). Call me a sucker for corny but I like what I like. A good book to read while you're stuck inside when the weather is frigid.

Full review is on my blog here on Feb 10, 2015.
Kate McMurry
Cute, G-rated, tomboy dramedy

At the start of this book, Tonya Valentine (Toni) is 17, it is the summer before her senior year, and she turns 18 midway through the book. Her father, whom she adored, died in a motorcycle accident two years ago. Her mother remarried a year ago. Toni loves her mother, but she resents her stepfather.

Toni has been close friends for 10 years, since they were in second grade, with three boys who are her age and live on her street. They initially formed a close circle of
Tanja Voosen
Buchgestaltung

Der deutsche Verlag hat sich hier eindeutig mehr Gedanken um die Gestaltung gemacht – sie ist knallig, niedlich und passt echt perfekt zum Buch. Auch „Jungs to go“ als Titel ist einfach super cool und trifft den Kern des Buches auf den Kopf. Die englische Aufmachung ist nicht nur nichtssagend, sondern auch echt langweilig. Wenn ich das Buch so im Laden sehen würde, würde ich dran vorbei gehen.

Meinung

Ich + Contemporary= Geht eigentlich immer auf :) Jungs to go war auch ein wirklich
Shay (The Story Goes...)
As a tomboy myself I am a sucker for books about girls who have always been one of the guys and are struggling with the fact that they might, occasionally, want to be seen as a girl. Therefore, when Nori recommended this to me and I found out she loved it, I kind of had to get it. And I am so glad I did!

Toni and her three best friends(Cowboy, Ollie, and Loch) bonded the night they all saw Champ(the monster that lives in the lake) and, ever since, they've been best friends determined to catch si
Ana
Feb 03, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it
I know some people have been having some issues getting into this book or liking the character according to some reviews I've read but for me One of the Guys is one of those cutesy books you'll love to curl with on the sofa on those horrible rainy days. It was actually king of perfect. One of the guys is a coming of age book that will make you squirm sometimes because you just want to help the main character but mostly you'll be smiling and grinning like an idiot.

One of the guys centers around T
Melissa Robles
Oh my cuteness! I liked this book so much One of the Guys is the kind of book perfect for a late afternoon or Friday night read to make you feel light and have butterflies flying around your stomach.

This book tells the story about a girl who's best friends with three boys and is a tomboy true and true. She doesn't like wearing skirts or makeup, and if you ever ask her what she likes to do in her afternoons, she would probably say that hang out with her boys down at the lake looking for monsters
Lena

This book is great for a light summer read. The heroine is quite likeable and cute. Her friendship with Winston Academy powerchick Emma was fun to watch as it developed. Also, the relationship between Toni and 'her boys' was cute. I liked how she knew that she was being desperate when trying to hold onto them. And I think it will resonate with a lot of readers, whether they are remembering trying to hold on to their own high school relationships or going through it themselves. It's a to
Princess Bookie
Jan 13, 2015 Princess Bookie rated it really liked it
My Thoughts: Seriously, One Of The Guys was cuteness overload! But in a good way! I knew this one would be right up my alley, I just knew it!

We are introduced to Tonya, aka Toni. Toni is a major tomboy! She burps, and just hangs out with guys. She has a set of friends who are guys! A few of them actually! She fits right in with them! I want to go on and on on each guy but at the same time, I want you to get this one and read about each guy and get to know them on your own! They are each so uniqu
Nicole
Jan 05, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, kindle
Imagine everything you have ever known changing in an instant. You are brought even closer to your friends. But what happens when, a few years down the road, you separate from those friends and now you are forced to relive the aftermath of the tragedy all on your own.

McRib has had the same core group of friends since 2nd grade—for 10 years, it has been McRib, Cowboy, Ollie and Lock. And senior year is epic. Until McRib’s idea to moon the principal goes horribly wrong and lands her in an all-girl
  • After Hours
  • Play On (Lewis Creek, #1)
  • New Music (The Art of Lainey, #1.5)
  • The Natural History of Us (The Fine Art of Pretending, #2)
  • Like It Never Happened
  • Lessons in Falling
  • The Boy Next Door
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys)
  • Last Year's Mistake