Start by marking “Red Sox Rule: A Season in the Life of a Manager” as Want to Read:
Red Sox Rule: A Season in the Life of a Manager

Red Sox Rule: A Season in the Life of a Manager

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Michael Holley, bestselling author of "Patriot Reign," provides an inside look at how it all happened. With the exclusive cooperation of Terry Francona and stories from the clubhouse and the conference room, Holley reveals the private sessions and the dugout and front-office strategies that have made the Boston Red Sox a budding dynasty.

When Grady Little's job prospects we
Published March 25th 2008 by HarperEntertainment (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Red Sox Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Sox Rule

Aug 11, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
If you love the Red Sox, you already know everything in this book, with the exception of a few Francona anecdotes. If you don't love the Red Sox, then why did you pick this up? As an aside, I heard Dick Williams speak in Cooperstown at Hall of Fame induction ceremonies two weeks ago. He was asked what three current major league managers he believed would make the Hall of Fame. He responded, "Three? I'll give you five." I was confident that Francona would be among his first two picks. Instead, he ...more
Brian DiMattia
Jul 14, 2011 Brian DiMattia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Holley has long been one of my favorite sports writers. Writing in the shadows of several of the all time greats in Boston, Holley manages to cover his subjects without sounding tired of, or cynical about them.

That's why it's only appropriate that he spends this book looking at Terry "Tito" Francona, quite likely the greatest in a long line of Red Sox managers. And for more reasons than just his championship success...Francona's long been viewed as one of the most likeable people in spor
Wendy
Jul 24, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
I enjoyed the writing style of Michael Holley as he covers the Boston Red Sox and their recent successes leading to their 2007 championship. This overview also focuses on the Sox manager Terry Francona and his impact on the team.

The 1st half of the book really focuses on Francona, covering his family, love of baseball, his brief career in the game and the injuries that ended his days as a player. It touches on an earlier job magaging "the" Michael Jordan in Double-A. And, naturally, the events o
Jenny
Apr 19, 2008 Jenny rated it liked it
Clubhouse insight is usually why I read baseball books, and Michael Holley seems to understand this. I loved hearing about Terry Francona's career trajectory and formative years, but I really loved hearing about his cribbage games with Dustin Pedroia and his relationship with the big dogs in the Sox clubhouse (most importantly Big Papi). Books like this are particularly fun because, since I was paying such close attention last year, I've got the framework for the stories; I know the backdrop of ...more
Dana Brunett
Mar 24, 2014 Dana Brunett rated it really liked it
Interesting insight in the mind of an intelligent baseball mind.
Dawn
Sep 07, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it
I would have given this 4.5 stars if it had been an option. It was really interesting "getting to know" the pre-Sox-manager Tito & see where he came from, what his thought process is & understand a little better the man we see popping bubble gum in the dugout. My only issue with this book was that the flow was a little "off." It skipped around without warning sometimes & it took a few paragraphs to realize we had changed timeframes.
Mike
May 07, 2008 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: sports, baseball
Not much substance to this one. A lot of rehashing of the 2007 season. Terry Francona deserves a longer biography.

I enjoy Michael Holley on WEEI when I get the chance to read him, but his writing is a little formulaic.

I struggled with the rating - 2 stars or 3? I went with 3. It's short (200 pages), which is good in this case; I learned a few new things about Francona; and parts of the 2007 highlights were fun to relive.
Kay
Mar 21, 2009 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
The subject material is great [deserves 3 stars or more:], but the author jumped around way too much [which really only deserves a 1-2 star:]. As a Red Sox fan, I enjoyed reading about Terry Francona and the players so I felt I could not rate it less than 3 stars.
May 26, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-nonfiction
Not like usual sports book. Book about what it's like to be the Terry Francona who is the manager of the Sox, from pure baseball fan geek to mild mannered seeming guy who is fierce competitor. Very readable, very interesting alternate view on some things
Amanda
Mar 02, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
This book took me almost a year to read, because I found it hard to get through. I didn't like the writing style; I felt like when the author was using nicknames or baseball terms it wasn't genuine, like he was just trying to sound cool.
Kevin A.
Sep 02, 2012 Kevin A. rated it liked it
A nice portrait of a manager who won two World Series with a team who hadn't won any in a while. If that weren't enough, Bobby Valentine and Larry Luchino have cemented his reputation in the eyes of a Red Sox fan.
Steve
Dec 03, 2010 Steve rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports
This was not quite a book about the 2007 REd Sox or a book about Terry Francona, the team manager. It seemed very quickly put together and added very little insight on a good year for the Red Sox.
Danie
Jul 01, 2009 Danie rated it it was amazing
Good stuff. Michael Holley is a very good writer/author. Uh, much better than he seems at some points on the radio.

Solid writer-Check
Workin' on it Radio 'Personality'-Seems to be workin' on it.
Michael
Aug 15, 2008 Michael rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Worst sports book I've ever read. It jumps back and forth way to much. There is no narrative and it offers little insight into Francona that the typical fan would already know.
Molly
Jul 18, 2008 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: sports
Holley's awesome access gives him all the info. he needs to tell this tale. Learned a lot about Terry's journey and how he turned tough situations into lessons for the future.
Thom
Mar 19, 2011 Thom rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent book. Tells the story of Terry Francona in vignettes, jumping between his playing era and managing era.
Melgogs
Mar 01, 2009 Melgogs rated it liked it
This book was just ok. It jumped around alot in different times throughout Tito's life and at times I couldnt keep up.
Dylan Houle
May 19, 2011 Dylan Houle rated it it was amazing
I think I like this the beacuse I never knew the BRS 1991 and how the coach got choosing and the history of them!
Meril
Aug 31, 2014 Meril rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball, nonfiction, g
This is less about the 2007 season and more a short biography of Terry Francona. Francona needs a longer biography.
Dottie
Nov 23, 2008 Dottie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Red Sox fan
For any Red Sox fan that loves Tito (Terry Francona) I have a major crush on him!!
Brian
Sep 15, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
This is what I read instead of "beach reading"
Cnelson
Jan 25, 2013 Cnelson rated it it was ok
Not as good as Patriot Reign, but an ok read.
Lynne
Sep 10, 2008 Lynne rated it really liked it
So great! Could a book about the Sox be bad?
Kriley1227
Feb 13, 2009 Kriley1227 rated it liked it
well written account of Red Sox story
Luis Roche
Luis Roche rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Eric Theriault
Eric Theriault marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Shawn Gillum
Shawn Gillum rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Lynn
Lynn is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
  • One Day at Fenway: A Day in the Life of Baseball in America
  • Born to Play: My Life In the Game
  • Deep Drive: A Long Journey to Finding the Champion Within
  • Mind Game: How the Boston Red Sox Got Smart, Won a World Series, and Created a New Blueprint for Winning
  • Knuckler: My Life with Baseball's Most Confounding Pitch
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • Big Papi: My Story of Big Dreams and Big Hits
  • Watching Baseball, updated & revised: Discovering the Game within the Game
  • Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • The Wrong Stuff
  • The Last Best League: One Summer, One Season, One Dream
  • Senior Year: A Father, A Son, and High School Baseball
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery & My Return to the NFL
  • Idiot: Beating "The Curse" and Enjoying the Game of Life
  • Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game
  • Now I Can Die in Peace: How ESPN's Sports Guy Found Salvation, with a Little Help from Nomar, Pedro, Shawshank, and the 2004 Red Sox