Start by marking “Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia & Alaska” as Want to Read:

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  604 ratings  ·  52 reviews
This is a revised edition of our bestselling book Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast marking the 10th anniversary of publication. This superb reference book features 794 species of trees, shrubs, wildflowers, aquatic plants, grasses, ferns, mosses and lichens found along the coast from OR to AK. Over 1000 color photos and line drawings.
Paperback, Revised, 528 pages
Published November 10th 2004 by Lone Pine Publishing (first published June 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast

Karen Erdmann
This is my "go to" book for all plants I find on the farm, in our woods and on my walks. It gives a balance of identification, uses and local culture. It will always occupy a prominent place on my current bookshelf and I will never be finished reading it.
Aileen
These are my favorite field guides. I learned about the Lone Pine field guides during my environmental science field camp during the summer of 2007 and got very enthusiastic about keying out plants. Now I'm in Alaska and have tried many resources to get to know the plants around here and this guide remains the best one. It makes me want spring and summer so I can get outside and watch things grow!
Katie
Excellent reference book for those who wish to hike with their encyclopedias. A good cover of the PNW plants but not too heavy to bring along. Nicely organized and even if I am totally unfamiliar with the plant I can find it pretty easily in the book. Otherwise, I have read the book back to front several times looking for plants and enjoyed every minute of it.
Pentti
I picked this book up years ago when I was teaching plants at a summer camp in the Oregon coast range, near the southern end of this books range. It was fantastic. Sure, the experts out there will use the Jepson guide, but this book hits the sweet spot for casual naturalists like me. The dichotomous trees are simplified so normal people can use them, and the full color photos are beautiful and really help with identification. Most importantly though, the authors have a knack for choosing the mos ...more
Debbie
Mar 01, 2015 Debbie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in Washington in August 2010. I've taken it with me on every trip to the Pacific Northwest. Reading it is ongoing, it's not really a book you read page to page, except maybe the intro.
Shawn Miles
This guide is so dense with information that if it didn't have a well written information introductory a person would be lost reading it.

I loved comparing this book to another book "The new whole foods encyclopedia" by Rebecca Wood.

I can walk outside and forage for whole foods. That wasn't the original intent but that's how the idea started. Could I take a hike, identify the plans around me and if I was hungry have a snack? How would I know if it was safe to eat.

This great little guide is so
Jamie
A very helpful field tool!
Nathan Waldren
This is one of 3 books I keep in the truck with me no matter where I go. The other two are a field guide (noted elsewhere) and a USFS forest pathology text for this area. I ain't gonna be stumped by nothin', nohow! This book has been a standard of mine since 1996. My original copy is battered and beaten but still readable; the revised version is what I carry today. The "revisions" are mostly taxonomic or superficial, and I'm not greatly affected by either.
Oceanscape Network
Long considered one of the essential text for anyone interested in plants, its excellent photos and easy to use text make it ideal for experts and amateurs alike. For coastal explorers, its compact size means it'll fit easily into a backpack if you want to take it along on an excursion. But at the very least, you should have a copy sitting on your bookshelf in your home or your classroom.
Grass_Roots Books and Music
This full-color, comprehensive field guide has easy-to-use keys and thorough description of not only each plant’s natural history, but its cultural significance and uses. Photographs are shown side by side with botanically accurate drawings to aid in identification. Taking this guide with you to the forest or field is the next best thing to having a pro botanist along.
Marybeth
A beautiful book of plants from our coastal area and also includes Alaska and Oregon (down to Eugene). It is so comprehensive and the pictures are great for identifying plants. Another score at a garage sale today, and I have already sat the evening going through the book. It has a good organization, which should help a person fairly easily identify a plant.
Claudia f. Savage
Hmmmm, neophyte plant-girl goes to Oregon and seeks to figure out what the hell is surrounding her. I mean, what's with this moss? What is that? Bamboo? In the middle of the city? Rotting detritus everywhere and not a thought as to why the leaves are so gargantuan, so perfectly fluted to catch the waning light. Hence, the happiness of Pojar's guide in my backpack.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Guion
This is the BEST plant identification guide for the Pacific North West I have ever seen. The photographs and drawings are clear and easy to apply to real plants. All of the notes about the plants are very well written and include facts about medicinal, food, and other uses. If you live in North West and love the outdoors, this book is very nice to have around.
tmll
this book is invaluable and friggin' hilarious. lots of solid information for accurate plant id'ing, tips and pointers for medicinal and edibles and thorough resource listings for more information. I particularly love the entry about wapato, a riparian root, that when improperly roasted, causes horrific farts.
Nancy
I have several other plant identification books. This is the best one by far for my area (the central Oregon coast). The information beyond simple plant identification is exceptionally useful. I purchased the book in the late 1990's but I "read" it every year.
Ryan
Jan 03, 2008 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: northwesterners
Obviously not as much use to my friends back east. But if you need to know about the flora around here, get this book. I'm taking it back east when I move to remind me that for every horrible Seattle driver there is a lovely Seattle tree.
Wendy Feltham
This is an outstanding reference book. I'll never be finished reading it and appreciating the brilliant research that went into its production. Every plant is explained botanically and culturally. This is a very special book.
Jess
Sep 08, 2007 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: naturists
Pojar's book has clear beautiful pictures, a great section on edibles, and it's made of waterproof 'paper'. On the downside, it's really heavy and arranged botanically, making it a little difficult to navigate for the layperson.
Gina
I wish I could find a comparable book for plants in Wisconsin...I love the ethnobotany info., organized by families, good photos, user friendly...let me know if you can recommend something for the midwest!
Maxwell Leer
Jun 26, 2007 Maxwell Leer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: plant lovers of the nw
Helped me to identify all the latin names and natural history of the various wild and edible flowers I serve at Clark Lewis.

Great info on ferns, currants, acer glabrum et al...
Anneliz
Well, I haven't read it cover-to-cover, but what I've read/used, it's been very helpful! Nice photos, bit of a crowded format, but still relatively easy to use.
Kelda
the tattered, water-damaged poor thing goes with me often and gets shoved full of specimens. my personal notes fill up all the margins, I'd be lost without it.
Eve
This is a great basic guide to the most common species of the NW, but the photos/illustrations are sometimes not as helpful as they could be.
Brenna Flood
Excellent water-resistant guide of the flora of the Pacific Northwest. While mostly comprehensive, it lacks a complete section regarding mushrooms.
Eddie Black
got this because I was unsure about a snowberry on a hike! Now it goes with me in my pack with GPS, binos, bird guide, and tree guide.
Mary
It is very organized and has detailed pictures, descriptions, and instructions. Does not include notes on fungus, edibility or foraging.
Erin
Pojar is the shit. Seriously. If you need one PNW plant field guide, this is it. I wish this existed for every bioregion.
Jeanene
Great field guide for the Pacific Northwest. I use this one in addition to the Western Boreal Forest one for my area.
Dana
Excellent book to bring on hiking trips if you want to learn more about the plant life that surrounds you!
Ryan Mishap
Great pictures, good descriptions, and water-resistance (copmpletely necessary for the pacific NW coast!).
  • All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Botany for Gardeners
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • The Sibley Guide to Birds
  • The Weather of the Pacific Northwest
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking
  • Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • Birds of North America
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • Native American Ethnobotany
Plants of Coastal British Columbia, including Washington, Oregon & Alaska Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, BC and Alaska [PLANTS OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWES] Ecosystem Classification And Interpretation Of The Sub Boreal Spruce Zone, Prince Rupert Forest Region, British Columbia Plants of the Rocky Mountains Plants of Northern British Columbia