Start by marking “Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia & Alaska” as Want to Read:

This easy-to-use field guide features 794 species of plants commonly found along the Pacific coast from Oregon to Alaska, including trees, shrubs, wildflowers, aquatic plants, grasses, ferns, mosses and lichens. PLANTS OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST COAST covers the coastal region from shoreline to alpine, including the western Cascades. Includes: * 1100 color photographs * More ...more
Paperback, Revised, 528 pages
Published December 6th 2004 by Lone Pine Publishing (first published June 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast

Karen Erdmann
May 26, 2012 Karen Erdmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my "go to" book for all plants I find on the farm, in our woods and on my walks. It gives a balance of identification, uses and local culture. It will always occupy a prominent place on my current bookshelf and I will never be finished reading it.
Aileen
Mar 09, 2013 Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are my favorite field guides. I learned about the Lone Pine field guides during my environmental science field camp during the summer of 2007 and got very enthusiastic about keying out plants. Now I'm in Alaska and have tried many resources to get to know the plants around here and this guide remains the best one. It makes me want spring and summer so I can get outside and watch things grow!
Katie
Jun 14, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reference book for those who wish to hike with their encyclopedias. A good cover of the PNW plants but not too heavy to bring along. Nicely organized and even if I am totally unfamiliar with the plant I can find it pretty easily in the book. Otherwise, I have read the book back to front several times looking for plants and enjoyed every minute of it.
Tiffany
A good field guide for plants. I do wish it were easier to find things for people like me who really have no knowledge of what they're looking for, but I find the pictures helpful and it's the most comprehensive guide I've seen for the northwest.
Ann Babcock
Oct 13, 2016 Ann Babcock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that we use to find what we have for plants on our 24 acre farm. Great reference!!!!
Kelly Brenner
Sep 29, 2015 Kelly Brenner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plants of the Pacific Northest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia & Alaska features nearly 800 plants common to the coast of the Pacific Northwest and is one of my most often referenced plant books. Boasting over 1,000 each photos and drawings, plants are described in good detail including information about plant structure such as leaf shape and color, fruit types and flowers. Color-coded range maps accompany each plant species and in addition the book lists the ecology, what habita ...more
Pentti
Sep 27, 2014 Pentti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up years ago when I was teaching plants at a summer camp in the Oregon coast range, near the southern end of this books range. It was fantastic. Sure, the experts out there will use the Jepson guide, but this book hits the sweet spot for casual naturalists like me. The dichotomous trees are simplified so normal people can use them, and the full color photos are beautiful and really help with identification. Most importantly though, the authors have a knack for choosing the mos ...more
Shawn Miles
Feb 28, 2013 Shawn Miles rated it it was amazing
This guide is so dense with information that if it didn't have a well written information introductory a person would be lost reading it.

I loved comparing this book to another book "The new whole foods encyclopedia" by Rebecca Wood.

I can walk outside and forage for whole foods. That wasn't the original intent but that's how the idea started. Could I take a hike, identify the plans around me and if I was hungry have a snack? How would I know if it was safe to eat.

This great little guide is so
Nathan Waldren
Sep 14, 2008 Nathan Waldren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of 3 books I keep in the truck with me no matter where I go. The other two are a field guide (noted elsewhere) and a USFS forest pathology text for this area. I ain't gonna be stumped by nothin', nohow! This book has been a standard of mine since 1996. My original copy is battered and beaten but still readable; the revised version is what I carry today. The "revisions" are mostly taxonomic or superficial, and I'm not greatly affected by either.
Marybeth
Jul 08, 2011 Marybeth rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book of plants from our coastal area and also includes Alaska and Oregon (down to Eugene). It is so comprehensive and the pictures are great for identifying plants. Another score at a garage sale today, and I have already sat the evening going through the book. It has a good organization, which should help a person fairly easily identify a plant.
Oceanscape Network
Long considered one of the essential text for anyone interested in plants, its excellent photos and easy to use text make it ideal for experts and amateurs alike. For coastal explorers, its compact size means it'll fit easily into a backpack if you want to take it along on an excursion. But at the very least, you should have a copy sitting on your bookshelf in your home or your classroom.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
Feb 06, 2008 Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, nature
This is the BEST plant identification guide for the Pacific North West I have ever seen. The photographs and drawings are clear and easy to apply to real plants. All of the notes about the plants are very well written and include facts about medicinal, food, and other uses. If you live in North West and love the outdoors, this book is very nice to have around.
tmll
Jan 05, 2008 tmll rated it it was amazing
this book is invaluable and friggin' hilarious. lots of solid information for accurate plant id'ing, tips and pointers for medicinal and edibles and thorough resource listings for more information. I particularly love the entry about wapato, a riparian root, that when improperly roasted, causes horrific farts.
Grass_Roots Books and Music
Jan 17, 2010 Grass_Roots Books and Music rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _elizabeth
This full-color, comprehensive field guide has easy-to-use keys and thorough description of not only each plant’s natural history, but its cultural significance and uses. Photographs are shown side by side with botanically accurate drawings to aid in identification. Taking this guide with you to the forest or field is the next best thing to having a pro botanist along.
Claudia f. Savage
Nov 15, 2008 Claudia f. Savage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmm, neophyte plant-girl goes to Oregon and seeks to figure out what the hell is surrounding her. I mean, what's with this moss? What is that? Bamboo? In the middle of the city? Rotting detritus everywhere and not a thought as to why the leaves are so gargantuan, so perfectly fluted to catch the waning light. Hence, the happiness of Pojar's guide in my backpack.
Jess
Sep 08, 2007 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: naturists
Pojar's book has clear beautiful pictures, a great section on edibles, and it's made of waterproof 'paper'. On the downside, it's really heavy and arranged botanically, making it a little difficult to navigate for the layperson.
Debbie Teashon
Of all my NW native plant field guides this is my #1 g0-to guide. This is my second book that is worn and falling apart after using it for years. It replaced my first one for the same reason. Another one will be added to my library soon.
Debbie
Mar 01, 2015 Debbie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in Washington in August 2010. I've taken it with me on every trip to the Pacific Northwest. Reading it is ongoing, it's not really a book you read page to page, except maybe the intro.
A
Apr 08, 2015 A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, nature
This is an indispensable guide book to the plants of the Pacific Northwest. As a transplant, this book has helped to identify a lot of the native plants in the region. It is a huge learning curve for me, and this book is one of my main references.
Wendy Feltham
Jul 02, 2013 Wendy Feltham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is an outstanding reference book. I'll never be finished reading it and appreciating the brilliant research that went into its production. Every plant is explained botanically and culturally. This is a very special book.
LINCCReviews
Jun 26, 2015 LINCCReviews rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for looking up plants that you find. It doesn't work that well as a guide to edibility and uses, but it's incredibly nice if you want to find out what it is that you're looking at. The color photos are very useful for determining as well. (Esoomister)
Gina
Jun 27, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could find a comparable book for plants in Wisconsin...I love the ethnobotany info., organized by families, good photos, user friendly...let me know if you can recommend something for the midwest!
Ryan
Jan 03, 2008 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: northwesterners
Obviously not as much use to my friends back east. But if you need to know about the flora around here, get this book. I'm taking it back east when I move to remind me that for every horrible Seattle driver there is a lovely Seattle tree.
Nancy
I have several other plant identification books. This is the best one by far for my area (the central Oregon coast). The information beyond simple plant identification is exceptionally useful. I purchased the book in the late 1990's but I "read" it every year.
Kelda
Feb 16, 2008 Kelda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: permaculture
the tattered, water-damaged poor thing goes with me often and gets shoved full of specimens. my personal notes fill up all the margins, I'd be lost without it.
Eddie Black
Mar 04, 2009 Eddie Black rated it really liked it
got this because I was unsure about a snowberry on a hike! Now it goes with me in my pack with GPS, binos, bird guide, and tree guide.
Mary
Jan 31, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
It is very organized and has detailed pictures, descriptions, and instructions. Does not include notes on fungus, edibility or foraging.
Dana
May 05, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent book to bring on hiking trips if you want to learn more about the plant life that surrounds you!
Anneliz
Dec 02, 2012 Anneliz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I haven't read it cover-to-cover, but what I've read/used, it's been very helpful! Nice photos, bit of a crowded format, but still relatively easy to use.
Julia Orloff
Going on a hike in the PNW? Nice book to have if your interested in the flora that you will encounter.
  • All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Pacific Northwest (National Audubon Society Field Guides)
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • The Weather of the Pacific Northwest
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Botany for Gardeners
  • Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Birds of North America
  • The Sibley Guide to Birds
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)