Start by marking “Buddies” as Want to Read:

Buddies (The Buddies Cycle #2)

"What unites us, all of us, surely is brotherhood, a sense that our friendships are historic, designed to hold Stonewall together," muses on character in Ethan Mordden's Buddies. This need for friendship, for nonerotic affection, for buddies, shines forth as an American obsession from Moby-Dick through Of Mice and Men to The Sting. And American gay life has built upon and
Published June 15th 1986 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Buddies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddies

Mar 25, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago when I was just coming out - mostly to myself -as a gay man and I had forgotten just how much I enjoy Ethan Mordden. We are reading this for the book group I'm in and I'm looking forward to discussing it tonight with a group of other gay men my age. I remember reading this when I was trying to figure out "how to be" gay. :-) One of Mordden's characters has a line in this book where he says that we are born homosexual, but need to learn to be gay. I'm not into gay eliti ...more
Oct 08, 2007 Noel rated it really liked it
QUOTE that embodies the THEME of this book: "Sometimes [gay men] think they seek someone better than they are; sometimes I think no, they seek themselves. And sometimes the two searches are one. This is what makes our times interesting."
George Ilsley
Apr 28, 2015 George Ilsley rated it really liked it
This volume is probably the best of the series.
Jon O
Jun 10, 2012 Jon O rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, humor
I have to appreciate Mordden's contribution to gay literary. Just have to. I am not someone who picks up works by authors of his level. Difficult to enjoy. Although I got his books months ago, I did not dare to start, until recently.

I admit I have to read the lines twice to be able to absorb what he was sharing. The first chapter itself was good. I laughed. Great humor. However, as I went into more and more chapters, reading twice was no longer tolerable. I began to count pages before the book w
Kevin Fitzsimmons
Jul 09, 2014 Kevin Fitzsimmons rated it really liked it
A truly beautiful book. Pieced together by different essays and stories. Mordden has a sharp wit and a gift for clear observation. The stand out chapter for me was about gay men's love of the theater. Mordden is a noted theater critic and historian, and this shows in the story of how one man grows up to love the Broadway musical and the ways in which musicals inform his view of the world. Sadly, it feels like so much of the world Mordden wrote about no longer exists; but, it is a pleasure to spe ...more
I haven't read this book since it first came out in my early bookstore days but I read it a few times back then. I think I finally sold it at a yard-sale in '92. This book has some genuinely laugh-out-loud, read-aloud-to-a-friend (in my case my husband) moments. Particularly those involving the author's large family of brothers.
Apr 28, 2016 Robertomendez47 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Favorite quote... {book is full of little treasures like this one}
The culture is here and you are among us. Or no, that was years ago, and the culture has since expanded, broken into factions - political, professional, sexual, intellectual, racial. It is no longer a question, sheerly, of identity, as it was when I was young: of learning you were among us, that we had an us to be among.
Jan 02, 2014 Haldoor42 rated it liked it
An interesting study of the people one man meets on his journey through gay New York. A little high-brow for me, but some fascinating characters and interesting stories told along the way. Semi-autobiographical.
Feb 28, 2016 Jorg rated it it was ok
it's a nice book. most of the stories are very complex. some of them are really good and great fun to read, but others are just boring. It's a combination of nice fiction and cultural science and that's not my thing.
Nov 21, 2007 Larry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I really liked this book even better than the first.It was a nice thing to revisit the charecters from Ive a Feeling Were Not in Kansas Anymore. I am glad that Bobby introduced us to these people. I am now looking forward to the other two books.
Ken Cook
Dec 02, 2015 Ken Cook rated it liked it
Reading this as a historic look back to gay New York City (primarily Manhattan), these autobiographical essays present an interesting perspective on a subset of young men as the AIDS crisis developed.
Aug 09, 2010 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
I became completely enthralled. Love the characters, dialogue, and especially the complex relationships. Although I grew up in a Midwestern city, the book speaks to my experiences of coming out and developing my own chosen family of friends.
Daniel Krolik
Jun 19, 2016 Daniel Krolik rated it it was amazing
A pitch perfect exploration of the relationships between gay men, both romantic and platonic. Beautifully honest and biting, full of empathy, and necessary reading.
Rambling Reader
Rambling Reader rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
James Roman
James Roman rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2010
Heydave rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
Andrew Mash
Andrew Mash rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Matt Duke
Matt Duke rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2007
Lance Rouch
Lance Rouch rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2012
Ron Mohring
Ron Mohring rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Lorena Medius
Lorena Medius rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2013
Blake Rice
Blake Rice rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Brian rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Brad rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Charles Fuss
Charles Fuss rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
R Drayton
R Drayton rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Gl rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Curtis rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2012
Chuck Leduc
Chuck Leduc rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Coloslab rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
  • Kept Boy
  • Nocturnes for the King of Naples
  • American Studies
  • Arkansas: Three Novellas
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • The Salt Point
  • He's The One
  • The Fancy Dancer
  • A Visitation of Spirits
  • Ready to Catch Him Should He Fall
  • The Lure
  • Object of My Affection
  • Pulp Friction: Uncovering the Golden Age of Gay Male Pulps

The Buddies Cycle (5 books)
  • I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore