Start by marking “Buddies” as Want to Read:
Buddies

Buddies (The Buddies Cycle #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"What unites us, all of us, surely is brotherhood, a sense that our friendships are historic, designed to hold Stonewall together," muses on character in Ethan Mordden's Buddies. This need for friendship, for nonerotic affection, for buddies, shines forth as an American obsession from Moby-Dick through Of Mice and Men to The Sting. And American gay life has built upon and
Published June 15th 1987 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Buddies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddies

Noel
QUOTE that embodies the THEME of this book: "Sometimes [gay men] think they seek someone better than they are; sometimes I think no, they seek themselves. And sometimes the two searches are one. This is what makes our times interesting."
Kevin Fitzsimmons
A truly beautiful book. Pieced together by different essays and stories. Mordden has a sharp wit and a gift for clear observation. The stand out chapter for me was about gay men's love of the theater. Mordden is a noted theater critic and historian, and this shows in the story of how one man grows up to love the Broadway musical and the ways in which musicals inform his view of the world. Sadly, it feels like so much of the world Mordden wrote about no longer exists; but, it is a pleasure to spe ...more
Jon O
Jun 10, 2012 Jon O rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: gay, humor
I have to appreciate Mordden's contribution to gay literary. Just have to. I am not someone who picks up works by authors of his level. Difficult to enjoy. Although I got his books months ago, I did not dare to start, until recently.

I admit I have to read the lines twice to be able to absorb what he was sharing. The first chapter itself was good. I laughed. Great humor. However, as I went into more and more chapters, reading twice was no longer tolerable. I began to count pages before the book w
Melissa
I haven't read this book since it first came out in my early bookstore days but I read it a few times back then. I think I finally sold it at a yard-sale in '92. This book has some genuinely laugh-out-loud, read-aloud-to-a-friend (in my case my husband) moments. Particularly those involving the author's large family of brothers.
James
Aug 09, 2010 James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lgbt
I became completely enthralled. Love the characters, dialogue, and especially the complex relationships. Although I grew up in a Midwestern city, the book speaks to my experiences of coming out and developing my own chosen family of friends.
Larry
Nov 21, 2007 Larry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I really liked this book even better than the first.It was a nice thing to revisit the charecters from Ive a Feeling Were Not in Kansas Anymore. I am glad that Bobby introduced us to these people. I am now looking forward to the other two books.
Haldoor42
An interesting study of the people one man meets on his journey through gay New York. A little high-brow for me, but some fascinating characters and interesting stories told along the way. Semi-autobiographical.
Andrea
Apr 29, 2013 Andrea marked it as to-re-read
I'm pretty sure Jordana discovered Ethan Mordden first and then told me to read him.
W.B.
Jan 23, 2008 W.B. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gaybos
Slutty. Hot. Moving. Only a little bit messed up. A good heart, this author.
Robert
First read in 1987.
Duncan
Duncan added it
Feb 15, 2015
Will Tims
Will Tims marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
E.
E. marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Meade Haller
Meade Haller marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
BookLuva28
BookLuva28 marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Solomon
Solomon marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Randomrookie
Randomrookie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • Afterlife
  • Nights in Aruba
  • The Men from the Boys
  • Arkansas: Three Novellas
  • Martin and John
  • The Married Man
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • Kept Boy
  • He's The One
  • The Fancy Dancer
  • Nightswimmer
  • Eighty-Sixed

The Buddies Cycle (5 books)
  • I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore
  • Everybody Loves You
  • Some Men are Lookers
  • How's Your Romance?
How Long Has This Been Going On? I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore Everybody Loves You Some Men are Lookers How's Your Romance?

“If you don't want to be in a story, don't know a writer.” 3 likes