Start by marking “Chrome” as Want to Read:
Chrome

Chrome

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Enter the world of Chrome, where nothing is as it seems. In the 22nd century, a forbidden love between a man and a machine spins the Earth toward one final war.
Mass Market Paperback
Published by New York: Jove Books # M4846 1st Printing (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Chrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chrome

Damon Suede
M/M before such a thing even existed! I remember this with great fondness from my teen years.

A sweet gay Sci-fi romance that got itself into print at the most unlikely time. Tightly plotted and frankly erotic, this book by fallen star Nader was a bold, me-generation exploration of manloving, android-style. For once gay romantic fiction without tragic closet-cases or public shame. By situating this story in an imagined future, Nader manages to absolve his characters of lingering guilt about thei...more
Kernos
The 1st gay SF novel I read about a human who falls in love with a robot (android actually) back in 1978. It is packed away somewhere and I only have a few fond images. Unfortunately the sequel was never published.

"First novel by the late beefcake actor George Nader, a close friend of Rock Hudson. One of the few gay science fiction novels. "George Nader's interesting Chrome (Putnam, 1978) is a full bore gay love story, a passionate, sexual romance between strongly written men. . The treatment of...more
Wart Hill
I go to visit friends, and these are the things that come home with me.
Julie
The story is narrated by Chrome, a young space cadet, who arrives at the remote facility – “cabin”, though the term couldn’t really be applied to this construction, for his final test. Space Cadets are chosen and trained by the government, S.O.R.A., the Society of Restructured Americas, which is the most powerful organization on Earth. For a comparatively short period of time all about-to-be-graduated cadets were required to be attendants, aides, or helpers – to serve a particular individual.

In...more
Lyndi
May 28, 2014 Lyndi marked it as not-going-there  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wtf, not-interested
Can I just say, this is the most amazing book cover I've ever seen.

Left Sr
Half of this book is a very sweet and very erotic love story between two men that delighted me. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned yet that a little more than halfway through, this book becomes the most misogynistic, fascist piece of science fiction I've ever read.

I have no real problems with the book's first half, which deftly uses the metaphor of the forbidden relations between a human and an android to leave its characters free of guilt about the eroticism of male bodies. At its best, it...more
Deirdre
Sep 21, 2008 Deirdre rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: connoisseurs of queer fiction and also of science fiction
This is a great gay science fiction title from 1978! I got so into the nature of the two main characters' relationship that I began to wish I were a skinny twink with a big, tough warrior from outer space as a boyfriend and protector!
2Due
4.5 stars rounded to 5
I really, really enjoyed this story, yet it's been a bit tricky to start it because everything is from the protagonist's view and facts are explained after they happened to him, but once understood the trick it's been really easy to follow.
The first part has been a smooth going with "raw touches" and lot of romance and frustration, the second part has been slower and in rare parts a bit boring because of the reclusion of the protagonist.
Interesting story and surroundings wi...more
Blak Rayne
Review as posted on blog: http://www.blakrayneblog.com/2014/10/...

I finished Chrome late last night. George Nader’s gay interstellar classic about a young cadet, Chrome, and the warrior King Vortex, who create a bond that defies all odds, and the rules.
In order to understand this novel, I read the author’s biography. George Nader was a gay American actor, who was active from 1950 to 1974 with approximately sixty film and television credits to his name. After his career in Hollywood ended, he and...more
Nelson Minar
Got about halfway through, couldn't finish it. The book is this weird gay scifi novel from a nontraditional author. But Samuel Delaney it ain't. Sort of a rolicking scifi adventure, with some fun erotic moments, but a whole lot of terrible writing. The whole plot took a left turn and left me behind. Not interesting, even as a novelty.
PriPri
This was not at all what I thought it would be. First of all robot is this book was not what you would normally identify as robot as we're generally taught. What they called 'robots' were actually genetically engenered beings.

Earth is an absolute mess and quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if we one day reach the kind of destruction and fight for power portrayed in this book.

It was a love story, but more so it was about the lengths government will go to to keep control of something/one for t...more
Dann Dempsey
*sigh*

I really wanted to like this book. And for reals, the first like 160 pages were interesting, fairly compelling, slightly erotic without being lascivious, and good-spirited.

But then in Part II: Limbo, things went from dumb to dumber. Throw in so many useless unbelievable characters, and subplots, and everyone has like magic powers or whatever, and I totally lose interest. Then, in Part III: The Suckening, the book went from dumber to actually insulting. Everyone has the hots for Chrome, eve...more
Nonsense
By cheap new wave sci-fi standards it's moderate, but I enjoyed the characters enough and wanted to see the main characters get together. It just tied up a little too quickly after spending the second half of the book milling around before an abrupt ending.
liligator1
Oddly enjoyable. I was so curious after seeing that kooky cover and reading about the author. The diction was stilted, and much of the tech described existso now even though the book takes place in the 22nd century.

M/M scifi...we could use more
Kevin
wow! erm... Maybe you had to read this at the right time or age, but for 2014? Don't bother. badly written and clunky.
Galen Dudec
This is an odd but wonderful book published back in the 70'ies... yes the 70'ies, imagine!
I love Sci-Fi and especially Sci-Fi with a gay/MM subplot. Unfortunately there are not many of those around in which the science part is creditable and well described, but this is one of them.
Great and moving Sci-Fi romance.
Betty
I read this book in the 80's and still remember it. One very interesting book. Will written,very much a grab you book.Everyone should read it.
Andy Mchugh

What a wonderful book, a very quick read.
Ballebook
Sci-fi 1970`s m-m story.
Highly recommended.
Alex Paradisi
Alex Paradisi marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Archaeopteryx
Archaeopteryx marked it as to-read
Andrew Baker
Andrew Baker marked it as to-read
AshleyiSee
AshleyiSee marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Nora Cayetano
Nora Cayetano marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Where to Find? 2 4 May 05, 2014 09:13PM
George Nader began a film career in 1950 and starred in Robot Monster in 1953. In the mid-'70s he was in an automobile accident, damaging an eye which effectively ended his acting career. He turned to writing.

"After damage to his eye made it difficult to endure an acting career, Nader began a career as a writer of science fiction. His groundbreaking 1978 novel Chrome is probably the first science...more
More about George Nader...