Start by marking “Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss, #3)” as Want to Read:
Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss, #3)

Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  2,965 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
One perfect rose and one perfectly mysterious plane ticket to Stockholm have American art historian and sleuth Vicky Bliss off to Sweden and over her pretty head (and a 5' 11," that's deep) in danger. Her former lover, the sexy bad boy of the antiquities world, Sir John Smythe, has set her up for a rendezvous with trouble, not romance. Before Vicky can say Leif Eriksson, s ...more
Published September 7th 1994 by Warner Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Silhouette in Scarlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silhouette in Scarlet

Gerry
May 12, 2014 Gerry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Having had this book on my to read shelf to read shelf for some time I was quite pleased when I decided to pull it out and proceed.

What a mistake; it is dull and uninteresting from first page to last. The storyline is so poor that I struggled to come to terms with it (perhaps that says more about me than about the book) and although there are passages of good descriptive writing they do not add up to making the book a good, and understandable, read.

Vicky Bliss is a boring character, her co-consp
Teri-k
Aug 22, 2015 Teri-k rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be my favorite of the Vicky Bliss stories. It's that great, almost old-fashioned combo of mystery, adventure and romance, though it's very light on the romance. Peters generally manages a bit of humor, too which is always welcome. Worth reading or rereading.
Renee M
3.5 Vicky and John are like Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant in Charade, only blonde. I love the screwball comedy/mystery/romance of it all. And this one is set in Sweden! With plenty of bad guys, a bit of a treasure hunt, dash of danger, plenty of wit, and a fickle feline. Lots of escapist fun!
Gina
Mar 10, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finding a good cozy can be a bit like panning for gold. You have to go through a lot of grit to find a nugget worth keeping. Elizabeth Peters' books are those nuggets.

I fully admit I'm biased. I've loved the Elizabeth Peters books since I stumbled across them in elementary school. Vicky's my favorite of her heroines, and Silhouette is a close second to my all-time favorite, Trojan Gold.

Silhouette has wit and charm. Are parts of it well, maybe a bit implausible? Yeah, probably, but for me, that j
Gigi
Jun 15, 2014 Gigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with the Vicky Bliss mystery series during high school, and rereading the books is like curling up on a cozy couch with an old friend -- if that old friend brings intrigue, adventure, foreign travel, a puzzling mystery, and romance all in one package.

Silhouette in Scarlet isn't one of Elizabeth Peters' most clever mysteries (she writes some absolutely brilliant ones), but it's one of my favorites because it's a mad-cap adventure that features John Smythe at his roguish best.
Carol Nicolas
Jul 26, 2014 Carol Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vicky Bliss is bored with her life as an art historian. So when she gets a red rose, a one-way ticket to Stockholm, and a strange message in Latin, Vicky turns detective. She is not sure how to deal with her former lover, the handsome jewel thief, John Smyth, or any of the other men who suddenly become so helpful as she searches for a priceless treasure. When she is invited to a remote island by a distant cousin for a few days, the criminals close in. But more than her life is in danger, and Vic ...more
Katie
Ahaha. These are just so fun!

(view spoiler)
Melody
Nov 02, 2014 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number 3 in the Vicki Bliss series. She is once again ensconced in the machinations of John Smyth. A reference to Wheland's chalice draws Vicki to Sweden, land of her ancestors and home of Cousin Gus who just happens to own the land where the Chalice was discovered. One would imagine there is more to the hoard. Unfortunately a group of criminals thinks the same thing and take over the search. Fortunately Vicki,John and Cousin Gus escape and are rescued by the town, the evil villain dies but appa ...more
Dorothy
This was a quick read because (1.) it's a pretty short book, and (2.) I got interested and just couldn't put it down.

Vicky Bliss really is an immensely attractive character. She's fun and rather full of herself. She spends an inordinate amount of time revealing her measurements and discussing her appeal to the opposite sex. She never entertains doubts about her judgments of others or of the situation, and she is always prepared to act when action is required.

Then there is her susceptibility to t
Angela
Sep 10, 2008 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The third Vicky Bliss novel, Silhouette in Scarlet, brings our heroine to Sweden, armed with a mysterious message from her one-time lover John. Once she arrives, Vicky is pulled right into John's latest swindle: an attempt to search a rich recluse's property for a cache of buried treasure. Naturally, things go awry. John is crossed and double-crossed; persons are revealed to be not at all what they seem; Vicky gets to drink in the sights of a charming locale even as the scheme closes in around h ...more
BookNerdette
Apr 13, 2014 BookNerdette rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Beth
Mar 29, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have to thank Leila for her Elizabeth Peters week, which introduced me to the author; there were so many gushing testimonials that I had to bump the books to the very top of my TBR list. I regret nothing: the books are hilarious thrillers.

In a way, they're all - both the Vicky Bliss and Jacqueline Kirby stories - more about the characters than about the mysteries, though the mysteries are certainly with merit. It's just that the characters are so enormously entertaining that they become the st
Ellie R.
Jul 17, 2015 Ellie R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Elizabeth Peters, and I came back to this book again while going through my kindle archives. This series is such a hoot. Vicky is a fun, caustic, and intelligent narrator, and through her we can see Elizabeth Peter's love and knowledge of history and archeology. I also really enjoy Vicky and Johns relationship with each other, filled with equal parts affection and distrust. This is not high brow literature, but it's a fun adventure.
Sinead
May 18, 2015 Sinead rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vicky-bliss
Lara
Mar 02, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2011
Huh! I had somehow totally forgotten that this takes place in Sweden! My memory is terrible sometimes, which is partly why I can keep reading the same books over and over and over again and still not always remember what happens. Also, I never really thought about the cover before, but it's kind of clever! Well anyway, Vicky receives a plane ticket and a mysterious message in the mail and flies off to Stockholm for her vacation; hijinks ensue. These books are really not super sophisticated, but ...more
Jessi
One of my favorite heroines is back again. Vicky Bliss is on the case once again as she's searching for a lost cache of Scandinavian treasure. One perfect rose (not a limousine?) sends her off on a trip to the land of her ancestors. A trip where she encounters a lost love, a bad guy who does silhouettes (?), and an extended stay on a millionaire's island.
Another great story and well read by Barbara Rosenblat.
Carol Gibson
Dec 25, 2015 Carol Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book is in the Vicky Bliss series. I love it is has adventure, romance, danger, humor and archaeology and art art history. It is set in Sweden and the author brings the country size alive.

Barbara Mertz who is Elizabeth Peters has a doctorate in Egyptology and a background dealing with museums. This knowledge helps make the stories believable.

Vicky is a great character strong smart and beautiful I enjoy how she does not feel the need like so many modern female characters today to be so tom
Robin
I found this the weakest of the Vicki Bliss-John Smythe novels. The narrative felt jerky with lots of holes. The Leif character felt creepy from the start, and even as described, it was baffling that Vicki found him attractive instead of stultifying and insulting simply because he made her feel petite. The manipulation and interactions between Vicki and John were also unsatisfying. John's actions in the end were probably more powerful for the dissatisfaction. What is interesting as Peters develo ...more
Teri
Oct 10, 2012 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing the Amelia Peabody series I thought I'd give Elizabeth Peters' other books a try. This was the first book in the Vicky Bliss series, and I thought it was a decent read. The book reminded me a lot of the Murder She Wrote books with a little bit of attitude thrown in.

I've seen this book categorized as a "romance/thriller," and I don't think that label fits particularly well. Yes, there were two kissing occurrences and one "mostly left to your imagination" intimate scene, but I hard
Keeley
Mar 23, 2015 Keeley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: cheapthrills
This time Vicky Bliss investigates a crime that hasn't yet occurred in Sweden. Some of the twists were twisty -- in the sense that I didn't expect them -- but I'm not sure that enough clues were present in the text to work it out until told. Still, amusing.
Lighthearted
Although she’s quite annoyed with John Smythe (the con-man from The Street of Five Moons), Vicky can’t resist the temptation to join him in Stockholm—he did send her a ticket after all, she could use a vacation and if she can thwart whatever heist he’s working on, well that might be worth enduring his company for a time. Unfortunately for Vicky, a few other players are after the same find as Smythe—and they’re much more dangerous.

There are similarities between the Vicky Bliss and Stephanie Plum
Margaret
Oct 14, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second time in reading this book as well. It was still good. I have started another in the series and I think, I think, that this is a first time read for it.
Tifa
Jan 28, 2015 Tifa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another quick comfort read when I need to keep myself distracted. These are fun books to keep you entertained for a couple hours so you can keep your mind off your worries.
Susan
Mar 30, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Vickie Bliss follows the trail of master criminal John Smythe to Sweden on the track of Viking treasure. The mix of humor and suspense makes for a delightful read.
Rudy Gutierrez
Sep 09, 2016 Rudy Gutierrez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read but not one of my favorites - no treasure found in this one but the adventure progressed at a good pace. As usual the bad guys are likeable and the good guys win you over too. Didn't see the last twist coming - that was a surprise but even though the possibility of John's demise is at hand I doubt it very much, that guy will pop up again for sure.
Brittany
Oct 04, 2011 Brittany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, mystery
The third Vicky Bliss mystery. This one wasn't so much a mystery as an adventure in the Swedish wilderness. Vicky gets a red rose and a ticket to Stockholm, and she travels there to find herself entangled in one of John's maniac plans. They are held hostage at Cousin Gus's house out in the middle of nowhere until the object of value is found. I thought this one really didn't go anywhere. We don't really find out much, the secondary characters don't really add much to the story, and the adventure ...more
Lynne-marie
Mar 13, 2012 Lynne-marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery reader with a sense of the ridiculous
The trouble with having been in love with a daring jewel thief is that you're easily set up as if to reacquaint yourself with him and instead find yourself in the hands of brigands. Ever happen to you? Well you probably aren't a voluptuous blond so beautiful that you can't get people to take your impressive academic credentials seriously, are you? Vicky Bliss, to our good fortune, is all those things, including, in this volume in an outstanding pickle, which may have put her in need of saving, t ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Ms. Peters (Barbara Mertz also writing as Barbara Michaels) was a favorite of my late wife's so i read or at least "listened to" several of her books. I finally had to come to the conclusion the "Peabody" her archaeologist character was one I just couldn't take... Vicky Bliss while annoying was slightly more palatable (to me).

Ms. Bliss much like Peabody seems to attract most any man she meets and also has an apparent weakness for criminals. So the art historian who can't quite shake a crush on a
Isabella
Jul 24, 2016 Isabella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Etwas langatmig und allwissende Ich-Erzähler sind leider gar nicht mein Fall :/ Eine ausführliche Rezension folgt noch!
librarian4Him02
Plot: After receiving a message from john, Vicky heads to Sweden. There she's drawn into one of John's schemes. Only, this one has gone terribly wrong.

Setting: Germany and Sweden

Why I picked it up: I'm now hooked on this great series. Also, Barbara Rosenblatt is one of favorite narrators.

What kept me reading: I loved the film noir tone to this story and the suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat. Not an easy place to be when one's driving a car :) Also loved the interplay between Vicky an
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 15 Feb 05, 2015 06:03PM
  • Vanish with the Rose
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Frede ...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...

Vicky Bliss (7 books)
  • The Camelot Caper  (Vicky Bliss, #.5)
  • Borrower of the Night (Vicky Bliss, #1)
  • Street of the Five Moons (Vicky Bliss, #2)
  • Trojan Gold (Vicky Bliss, #4)
  • Night Train to Memphis (Vicky Bliss, #5)
  • The Laughter of Dead Kings (Vicky Bliss, #6)