Small World

Small World

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  32 reviews
For Dolly it was lust for revenge. For Roger it was just lust.... When Leyna Shaw awoke, she was aware that something was different--terribly different. First she looked down at her tall, lovely body and saw no change. Then she looked around the room. It took her a moment to recongnize it. It was the White House bedroom. Then she saw the Eye. And the Hand. The Hand came to...more
Published March 1st 1982 by Signet (first published 1981)

Farsighted by Emlyn ChandThe Next Thing I Knew by John CorwinPerpetual Night by Georgina MoralesThe Vivisector by Patrick WhiteWired by Martha R. Carr
Creepy Covers
58th out of 131 books — 133 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
Judge a Book By its Cover
127th out of 151 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

It reads like your average pulp crime novel, but the plot really grew on me. I've always been into miniatures, and I loved the sci fi twist. I was wondering why it hadn't been done before. Creative, but not a big leap if you were into dollhouses when you were a kid.
I found myself wondering what it would've been like if her husband had written it. : )
Trudi
I would give this book 4.5 stars just for sheer originality, overall weirdness and supreme creepiness. The book totally enthralled me at every turn and I love that I didn’t know where it was going to go, or how far. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve read anything by Tabitha King and after reading Small World, I really wish she had written more. There’s such bite and ferocity to this story – a hell hath no fury feminine version of The Incredible Shrinking Man. It smacks of pulpy drama, and w...more
Tressa
This was one of the first Tabitha King books I ever read, and it's a doozy. I've always had a childhood fascination with miniatures--people, furniture, houses--and this horror/scifi book let me indulge my fantasies of possessing one. But I would treat my little person much better than the man did in this book.
SmarterLilac
I really think the only reason Tabitha King isn't more well known is because of her more famous husband. Sad.
Cris
I read this book somewhere around 30 years ago and I still remember parts of it very clearly, it definitely stuck with me. I'm not interested in re-reading it to see how well it held up, so I'm rating it based on a cool, original story and the fact that it never left my head completely after all this time.
Michael
Small World (Das Puppenhaus) ist Tabitha Kings erster Roman. Im Zentrum steht eine egozentrische missgünstige Millionärin, die sich auf eine sexuelle Beziehung mit einem Muttersöhnchen-Mad Scientist einlässt, um mit dessen Erfindung, einem Verkleinerer, ihre Puppenhaussammlung mit kostbaren Miniaturen auszustatten. Doch verkleinert sie nicht nur Schmuck, Möbel und anderes Interieur...
Als kurze, skurrile Erzählung im Stile eines Roald Dahl wäre die Idee durchgegangen. Einen 300-Seiten-Roman trägt...more
Leslie
Pretty good book. A departure from her other books, and an interesting premise:device that can shrink people and things, wielded by an emotionally stunted geek, and an angry, jealous, aging debutante. Unfortunately, the book alternates from a story about the geek and his older paramour, and a story about their shrunken captive media celebrity, with the very interesting aspect of the "little woman's" point of view being relegated to a lesser role. The author spends way too much time talking about...more
Elizabeth
So you all know how I love Uncle Steve, therefore I have always been really curious about the novels that his wife has written. My friend Ian , a book dealer, gave me a copy of Small World by Tabitha King and all I have to say is wow. She is a phenomenal writer, her prose flows like conversation. The story is a completely original idea, and I was sure there weren't any left. She also has that rare ability to bring a story to life; living, breathing, running around life. I'd shut the book and fee...more
I have read nearly everything written by her husband, Stephen, and her son, Joe Hill. I thought there was more talent in the family to be discovered. However, I could not get into this book. There were several stories but I couldn't see how they were going to join together and didn't care about any of the characters. I only read 50 pages but I might try again with one of her more recent novels.
Sarah Pierce
Tabitha King shall probably never hold as dear a place in my heart as her husband Stephen does with his gory, involved books, but this was her first novel, and I liked it. It was a little slow until about halfway through, but then it sped up immeasurably, and the ending was both hopeful and chilling.
Debra
Stephen King's wife. Stephen King recommended book as noted in Chapter 9 of Berkley's 1983 paperback edition of Danse Macabre.
Syrus Durham
I read this book based on the premise: nerdy guy and manipulative woman shrink stuff and a rival. The scenes concerning that part of the plot don't seem to be the main focus, and it takes some time to get to them.

Leyna Saw is shrunk, and it's believable that she'd assume she's gone insane as she is tormented by giant eyes and fingers. There's some great description and tension in those scenes, but they're not the main plot of the book, despite what the blurb leads you to believe.

The rest of the...more
Randy
The plot isn't half-bad. But I could never quite suspend my disbelief in terms of the science involved.
Sandy
I think I liked all the wrong parts of this book. And that's about all I want to say about that!
Doug
I joined this group just to express how poorly written this book was. I've had it sitting on the shelf for decades, and finally picked it up after reading her husband's THE CELL. He really should have helped her more on this effort. What should be a fascinating concept is trivialized, and the story meanders and never really takes focus. The only likable people are almost incidental to the plot, and too much time is spent on them for them to be so inconsequential. This book was so bad that it too...more
Darleen
Oh goodness i TOTALLY forgot that i read this like a billion and a half year's ago. ( Thanx Kim ) i prob still have my copy around here somewhere ( footsteps echoing, Darleen is lookin around the mess of her house wonderin where the book may be?? Mixed in with the chaos?? Perhaps under the bed smelling like Jean Nate'??) anyway's i do think i enjoyed the book. Not sure as i can't member past 8 min's ago....hahaha
Lostaccount Darkpool
This book was at times a grueling experience to read. The problem is it's just too slow and confusing. The writing isn't as bad as suggested in some of the reviews on here, but the characters are weak and in the beginning I was confused as to who was who. The style is very reminiscent of Stephen King. Hardly surprising since the book is written by his wife.
Tammy Downing
Dec 28, 2013 Tammy Downing rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who likes mysteries
A thrilling tale of power, wealth and greed. The characters are well developed and believable. The plots twists are intriguing and keep you interested. I've had this book for many years and I sure am glad I finally read it.
Stefu Smith
A lot of people giggled in this book. I wasn't very convinced of the motives of the antagonists. I didn't feel like the relationships were very believable either. In general, I only read this book because it was written by Stephen King's wife.
Nenia Campbell
You can read more reviews at my blog, The Armchair Librarian.

As a little girl, I loved to play with dolls. I had a bunch of Barbies, which I played with until I was about fourteen (I regret nothing!), two Little Tykes doll houses, which resided in our living room for practically as long as I can remember, and a variety of other little miniatures. Who doesn't like the idea of playing God in their little domain?

I was excited about this book because I heard it was about miniatures and dolls, and al...more
Gypsykat
Not bad at all, for a first novel! If you're into doll houses & miniatures, then you'll drool over this story, because that is the theme from start to finish & every little part inbetween!
Barbara
Few people that I know have read this book. Maybe Stephen just eclipsed Tabitha because I have really liked most of her books. This one will appeal to your inner child.
H Hunt
Certainly not a piece of literature but it does deliver, what you see is what you get, an odd tale but worth @least 1 read=+=
Sara
This was Mrs. King's first book & I thought it was a good one, you can see how she & her husband influence each other!
Dave
A great idea but something was missing from this I thought,
Wasted 2 days sigh
Sandy
This book was a bit on the cheesey side but that aside I really enjoyed it.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
A great first book by Tabitha King (Stephen Kings wife)... shrunken people!!
Lori
I've read this 2 times and I'm about to read it again.
Jim Barr
good book much more sexual than her husband
Tony
A surprisingly good read...
  • House
  • Gunpowder (Gunpowder, #1)
  • Let's Go Play At The Adams'
  • The Elementals
  • The World House (The World House #1)
  • Survivor
  • Bedbugs
  • The Guardians
  • One of Us
  • The Resurrectionist
Tabitha King (née Tabitha Jane Spruce) is an American author, the wife of author Stephen King and the mother of authors Joe Hill and Owen King (her daughter is Naomi King).

Tabitha King was born Tabitha Jane-Frances Spruce in Old Town, Maine. She was born to Raymond George and Sarah Jane White Spruce and is one of eight children.

Her primary education took place at St. Mary’s Grammar in Old Town, fr...more
More about Tabitha King...
One on One Candles Burning Pearl The Book of Reuben The Trap