Start by marking “Wolverine (Volume 1): Enemy Of The State” as Want to Read:
Wolverine (Volume 1): Enemy Of The State

Wolverine (Volume 1): Enemy Of The State (Wolverine: Enemy of the State #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,024 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The world's deadliest living weapon just fell into the wrong hands. It's Wolverine vs. the Marvel Universe in the best-selling, blockbuster storyline that will have Logan shredding his way through the X-Men, Fantastic Four, S.H.I.E.L.D., and more! How does Wolverine end up fighting to destroy everything he holds dear? Collects Wolverine #20-25.
Published May 1st 2005 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wolverine (Volume 1), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolverine (Volume 1)

Wolverine by Mark MillarWolverine by Barry Windsor-SmithWolverine by Chris ClaremontWolverine Classic, Volume 1 by Chris ClaremontWolverine by Paul Jenkins
Best of Wolverine
22nd out of 55 books — 12 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books of 2005
302nd out of 548 books — 454 voters

More lists with this book...

'kris Pung
Aug 31, 2014 'kris Pung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5

What a great start to this badass story, really need to track down the 2nd volume now.
Seizure Romero
Finally, Wolverine kills everybody. They say it's because the bad guys re-programmed his already @$#@ed-up melon, but I really think it's because of that ridiculous yellow outfit they make him wear. Think about it-- he's virtually impossible to kill because of his mutant healing factor, he has a metal-laced skeleton with claws that pop out of his hands & he's pretty much a badass in a fight anyway-- and the powers that be dress him up like a banana with blue highlights. I know I'd have issue ...more
William Thomas
Feb 15, 2010 William Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Mark Millar, what big brass balls you have. The things you do to regular Marvel characters is beyond belief, with stories so large they could be crossover events, but thankfully, are relegated to one title. You killed Wolverine!? Kudos. You gave him unbeatable opponents. Fabulous. You showed his fallibility, instead of him as an unstoppable one man army. Tremendous achievement. Instead of falling itno all the traps of writing Wolverine, which most writers do, because they feel he is the equi ...more
Martin
Jul 07, 2013 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I re-read this one today years after my first read-through, and I found that I liked it just as much as I had then.

All in all, Millar showed some sort of restraint, in that he didn't resort to most of his usual cheap tricks. The action's all here, undiluted. The characters sometimes get snarky, yes, but it's all above-the-belt stuff. For a Millar book, there are surprisingly very few (maybe two) instances where a character calls another "stupid" or "moron". NOT surprisingly, Millar resorts to h
Emmett Spain
Sep 27, 2011 Emmett Spain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Millar loves a body count. And who better to rack one up than the amnesiac badass himself, Wolverine?

This book is wall to wall action and crazy fun. Millar pushes his violent concepts past the edges of what you expect, making the hyper-real seem even more grim and fantastic. This is a great example of a writer doing what he does best, and whilst he occasionally strays a bit too far into the body count territory (literally thousands of people are killed within these pages), it’s a bloody enj
Lionel
I could just copy/paste my review of Old-Man Logan: Nice idea but it clearly could have been better. I mean Wolverine goes berserk ? Nothing new. He tries to kill everybody ???? Really ? He barely made a scratch on the FF and killed one X-Man (and not a really important one) because getting beaten by one blow from Captain America.... Come on ?!

Going to read the second part soon, hoping it gets better.
Feather Mista
Leído hace mucho en números sueltos y releído hace poquito en el tomo Deluxe español. No me pareció ni el mejor cómic de Wolverine que leí ni lo mejor de Millar y/o Romita Jr, pero a fin de cuentas es bastante entretenido, aunque no demasiado verosímil.
Tengo en mi posesión los #1 y 3 de Panini, así que cuando consiga el #2 lo paso a "own a copy".
Gavin
Apr 13, 2016 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty solid for Millar and mainstream characters. It's the plot of MPQ, Logan taken by the Hand and programmed to take out heroes for the Hand and Hydra. Elektra is hired by SHIELD and Fury to give expertise in the area. Great art by Romita Jr. Plot not too crazy, but big moment at the end involving Daredevil, Elektra and Logan...

Onto,Vol. 2?
Travis Duke
Apr 09, 2015 Travis Duke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wild ride with wolverine and Mark Millar.There are lots of reasons this book is very good: Mark Millar knows wolverine (old man logan so good) and writes one heck of a great story, We get a whole boat load of cameos from the marvel universe, and wolverine hurts a lot of people and it feels good. Its pretty rare that a book has so many awesome cameos I feel writers are often limited on who they can bring in lately. I wont spoil who shows up but its worth it. The basic story with out spoilers is ...more
Todd
It is a necessity that Romita Jr. is working with a talented writer. I'm not the biggest fan of his art sometimes, but a well written story helps keep me from focusing too much on the strange proportions of these people.

Millar is a great writer. He's particularly good at stories where the main characters are flawed. The great thing is that he works with different flaws: losers, killers, sanctimonious bastards. This is one of those comic stories that's hard to deal with in relationship to everyth
Christopher
Dec 11, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come! :D
Steve Magay
Sep 27, 2013 Steve Magay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-faves
Millar has done it again! It's just amazing how he got these ideas of his. Who would have thought turning Wolverine into a villain could be so freakin' awesome? And that intro, is just epic! Very nice! Millar also brought some brains and Noir into Wolverine, with all those self talk and thinking. Reminds me so much of Batman, but I prefer him to be just wild and stupid, still it's a good take on Wolvy.

The Illustration seems okay but Millar should have gotten a better artist to back up this cool
Paolo
Jan 13, 2016 Paolo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't a huge fan of this volume after reading Ruka's run. It's a Wolverine story but there just wasn't enough wolverine in the panels for me to enjoy it, rather just finished it because I was half way thru. Maybe things will change after I read vol 2.
Sonic
Jan 06, 2010 Sonic rated it really liked it
An absolute blast! Mark Millar's writing is at it's peak here and the artist John Romita Jr. never ceases to amaze me! And as an artist he seems to continue to grow, and like a professional tennis player he makes it look effortless in a way. Could it be said that Wolverine is the consummate anti-hero? I would say so, but then again I think the day my brother (was it?) explained to me what an anti-hero is he used Wolverine as an example...
mild SPOILER ALERT!!! *** !!! ***

So we all know Wolverine
Christopher Turton
Crazy Logan at his best. The best characters in the marvel universe pack a punch up against and alongside the berserker.
Matthew Ledrew
6/5 stars. Amazing. Tense. Held me with every word.
Reyel2107
Aug 13, 2016 Reyel2107 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the wolverine as i like , deadly !!!!!
Terra
Bryan Pope
Mitchell
Oct 25, 2015 Mitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
The best Wolverine I've read in awhile. Still a killing machine, but in this one he is freshly brainwashed by Hydra and he breaks through every once in awhile. Logan in Japan, Logan with Kitty, Logan with Daredevil. Lots of good stuff in this one including Elektra. Sure the art is inconsistent with some characters, especially Kitty and Emma Frost. But wow. 4.5 of 5.
Dave Hicks
May 05, 2009 Dave Hicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Romita's artwork and this is a pretty good example of his stuff. This book is a really good excuse to get Wolverine in major battles with Electra, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and the other X-men. It does this well and has a fun storyline to make you believe the excuse. Some really cool in the shadows full page artwork too.
Samuel
Nov 05, 2012 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Wolverine is captured by Hydra and is programmed to kill.

I have a soft spot for John Romita Jnr's artwork. Even though fingers often look like fettuccine I think he does an excellent job of bringing the story to life. I also enjoy Mark Millar's work, even though it is brutal at times (scrap that, it's brutal ALL the time).
Tristan Palmer
Nov 15, 2012 Tristan Palmer rated it really liked it
One can tell this is the beginning of Millar's Old Man Logan, or at least the beginnings of the idea that former the what if of that world. Not to mention, displaying Wolverine's more violent talents that haven't been unleashed in a good, long while before this.
Carles Muñoz Miralles
Lobezno convertido en una máquina de matar y enfrenta do al universos Marvel (los 4F, los Vengadores, Daredevil, Ellektra y la Patrulla X). Un buen blockbuster, bien escrito y dibujado por un todavía correcto John Romita Jr.
Hobie
Sep 17, 2008 Hobie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic nerds
Recommended to Hobie by: no one
The art of JR JR is off the hook. The veteran artist shows why he has been such a success in the business for such a long time. Top A game. Well written as well.
Michael
May 16, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Millar does a really great job of channeling the Claremontesque here, and Wolverine is represented well. Besides, the narrative has enough action to keep me happy.
Erich
Aug 13, 2007 Erich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like Wolverine, this is about is good as it gets. He's not my favorite superhero, but this is just a mind-blowingly fantastic, totally bad@$$ Wolverine story.
Claire Blind Reader
Such an awesome story, I wish it had last longer. Wolverine was so bad ass! I want more storied like that
AGraphicMaduck
Nov 18, 2013 AGraphicMaduck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-books
loved the art, story seemed a bit much (with all that happened) but still a great read and yah the art...
  • Uncanny X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
  • New X-Men, Vol. 7: Here Comes Tomorrow
  • X-Force, Vol. 1: Angels And Demons
  • Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)
  • House of M: New X-Men
  • Decimation: Son of M
  • X-Men: The Day After
  • X-Men: Onslaught - The Complete Epic, Book 1
  • Wolverine, Vol. 1: The Brotherhood
  • Uncanny X-Force: The Apocalypse Solution (Uncanny X-Force, #1)
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...

Wolverine: Enemy of the State (2 books)
  • Wolverine: Enemy of the State, Vol. 2