Start by marking “Emma, Vol. 02” as Want to Read:
Emma, Vol. 02

Emma, Vol. 02 (Emma #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,180 ratings  ·  70 reviews
London’s elite society places great importance on class difference, unlike William Jones. He regards Emma as a beautiful, charming young woman, and not merely a servant. After their first real date, things seem to be going in a positive direction for them. But the leisurely pace of the growing relationship between them ends suddenly when disaster strikes at home.
Published December 20th 2006 by CMX (first published February 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Emma, Vol. 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma, Vol. 02

Bonnie
The second volume of Emma is just as beautiful as the first - I can't believe Mori's eye for detail and love of the period. There are many more wordless passages in this volume, as we learn about Emma's past in light of many changes at Mrs. Stownar's residence. We also meet William's family and get to hear their opinion of his relationship with Emma. I'm really enjoying this series. It's serious without becoming too dark (at least so far), covering weighty issues of the time. I'm eager to see th ...more
Lete
My heart~ Ah such a nice story
Kelly
It picked up! Who'da thought. I got the backstory the first volume sorely lacked, and then some. We see some great progession from our main two characters--William and Emma--in a very short amount of time. And they've become a pair I can actually say I'm invested in. After the events in this volume, however, I worry the story will dry up for a while. I am pressing on to volume 3 in hopes it won't. With raw and hurt feelings come acts of desperation; and while I can also see our couple sitting do ...more
Douglas Cootey
I am not sure where to begin with this review without using spoilers. Volume 2 was simply better. It was heart breaking and frustrating and exciting. Emma's background story was moving. The illustration was breathtaking. The ambience and mood of this period piece was engaging. Kaoru seems to be picking up steam. Notable in this volume, Kaoru has begun to break from her standard perpendicular panels, but only to emphasize setting, not action. It's a stylistic difference I appreciate.

Be sure to re
Rakisha
I've finally found an manga I can get into. Emma is a maid. William is an upper class gent. The two aren't supposed to notice each other, but they fall in love with each other at first sight. Although their social stations keep them apart, William and Emma find a way to have one precious date but William's inflexible family keep them from pursuing a real relationship. Circumstances are not in their favor. Kaoru Mori has a way of drawing expressions that a thousand emotions are conveyed between t ...more
Lady Knight
Loved it! Although I didn’t like volume no. 1, “Emma, Volume 2” was fantastic. I loved the rich attention to detail given both in the dialogue and in the illustrations. I loved the flow of the story and the situations the characters faced. It may be an unusual topic and setting for a manga, but I for one loved it this time around!

Emma is a maid. William is an aristocrat. They’re in love, but because of divide between classes they can’t be together. Emma’s mistress supports her and hopes the best
Alyssandra
I'm blowing through this. I'm getting good at reading these books that are flipped. I have to read backwards. The book goses from the left and the pages read different. But I focused red it out! I love this series. The cliffhanger is looking me. I'm going to start reading the book tomorrow. Yeah!
Rachel
I liked this volume better than the first because of the character development. In Volume 2, Emma finally get to go on an outing with William, to the Crystal Palace to look at the exhibits and their relationship finally begins. Her employer Kelly dies and she decides to leave town, and tries to meet up with William but they miss each other. We get to meet William's brothers and sisters, and they are scandalized when they learn about Emma (esp his youngest sister). Meanwhile Evelyn, the girl that ...more
Jody Mena
Ah, I misted up at the end there! That was some fairly heavy angst! And over and over Emma and William just missed each other. I know they HAVE to meet again, but that was hard to read! I'm with Hakim, I'll chip in on the 20 or 30 elephants as a wedding gift if they just hurry up and live happily ever after! This story smacks of Jane Austen's work, not just because of the setting - which is actually a bit later than most of Austen's work, I believe - but also because of the plot pretzels that ar ...more
Stephanie Rivera
I loved this volume. I enjoyed knowing Emma's back story and being able to truly get a good grasp on the struggle of this ' forbidden' love.
Robert Beveridge
Kaoru Mori, Emma, vol. 2 (CMX, 2003)

Okay, I've now finished the second volume of Emma, and I'm entirely captivated by this. Mori takes the classic Victorian lovers-separated-by-class gig and presents it in a surprisingly classic way, but the characters are so engaging and Mori's POV fresh enough that it somehow seems to avoid most of the clichés you find in things like this. (Not all of them, but most.) I was planning on spacing the rest of the books in the series out over the rest of the year,
Shannon
I definitely enjoyed this one more than the first volume, as there was more plot going on. I don't have a lot else to say, but I liked it.
Ash Bruxvoort
Ever since I found out about Kaoru Mori's Emma series I've been a big fan. I read Emma: Volume One several months ago and finally got my hands on Emma: Volume 2 over winter break. The series is about a young girl named Emma. She is a maid in Victorian London and the stories document her love interests and friendships. You don't necessarily need to read these in order, but this review will work like a normal series review. This means it will assume you have read the first book in the series.

Read
Lauren
I absolutely loved the Victorian era and reading about it plus romance is always a good thing. I was really excited to read this series and it didn't disappoint!
Amanda
Using this as a placemarker for the entire series, as there isn't a goodreads entry for it. Read Vol 1 back in Oct 2012. Finally got my hands on the rest. Counting the series as a single book. (Only Vol 1-7, not the three volumes of related short stories that came afterwards, which I did not read.)

Vol 1 (reread): 8/20/14
Vol 2-3: 8/20/14
Vol 4-5: 8/21/14
Vol 6-7: 8/22/14
Emily
Gotta love the Great Exhibition. Oh Victorian England.
Céline :)
Awww poor William! Loving this so far :)
Reem
Volume 2. chapter 8-14
Heidi
I love this ability to read a book quickly. And still get a lot from the story. Interesting where the story is going. I was surprised at some things. I do not like Hakim. (Bugs me.) I'm ready to smack Vivian with almost every page. But I love what the introduction of these characters adds to the story. And may I say that I liked the Crystal Palace b/c of Victoria & Albert, and North & South. But now I'm set. :-)
Mayday
It was amazing and frustrating at the same time. It was like those two were not meant to be together. And William's siblings reminded me too much of pureblood's prejudice in Harry Potter universe, it was scary how people could talk like that.

There were pages with pictures only, Kaoru Mori is always like that, she is just that good. Oh, and tissue alert for this volume.
Kendall
Still better than most other manga format books I've read, this one wasn't as good as the first to me. It seemed like it did little more than act as a place holder from the first book to what will hopefully happen in the third. That said, I am going to continue reading the series. I love the idea of historical fiction in graphic novel/manga format.
Jake Forbes
Mori's art is as pretty as the last volume, but this time everything feels a lot tighter. Volume 1 flounders a bit with everyone falling for this blank-slate of a girl, Emma, but in volume 2, now that the relationships are established, the story plays out in a much more satisfying way. Now I'm hooked and can see why so many people love this series.
Rebecca
I'm really getting into the story of Emma. I enjoyed the first volume, but felt it was lacking something, but vol. 2 grabbed hold of me and didn't let go. It was certainly a volume I was sad to see end and immediately wanted to read the next book. I love the characters and the purity and honesty of the circumstances, characters and time period.
Patrice
It's still slow, but it is deepening. The characters are less superficial. I think this series is probably best all at once instead of one every few weeks. I think it is kind of like Sharon Shinn's novels that start at a gradual pace, but inevitably suck the reader in through amazing character development. I will complete this series.
Becky
The ill-fated romance continues. Poor Emma is not good enough for Mr. Jones's family - but she does get to spend an entire night in the Crystal Palace with him when they accidentally get locked in. Kelly dies and Emma is suddenly unemployed. Feeling like she has no choice, she boards a train to head back to her original home.
Sarai
In this second of the series, William Jones is still in love with the maid Emma, and they share a lovely evening at the Crystal Palace. But Emma's world turns upside down when the governess who took her in passes away, leaving Emma to find a new home if she can.

Again, nice art and good historical accuracy.
Luann
My favorite part of this second book in the series was the flashback to Emma's childhood. We got to see how she came to be employed by Mrs. Stownar. Since there are 10 books in the series, I don't expect Emma to work things out with William anytime soon. But maybe I will be pleasantly surprised in book three!
Kirsten
I started reading this series because I've liked Kaoru Mori's "Bride's Tale" so much. At first I wasn't quite so sure about it, because the artwork is not nearly as assured or sophisticated as that in Bride's Tale. However, it's still beautiful, with clean, assured lines, and I am really enjoying the story.
Rosa
Emma is kind of a standard crossing class lines romance story. Some characters are for it and others are adamantly against it. What really makes this manga stand out are the absolutely gorgeous illustrations. They are incredibly detailed and just looking at them gives me the warm fuzzies.
Joy
Feb 24, 2008 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joy by: Oyceter, Micole
Again, the nearly wordless passages shine the best here (Emma cleaning up the empty house, etc). I also especially liked Emma's conversation with Hakim, and am interested in seeing how all the setup in the last third of the volume will pan out in volume 3.
  • Bunny Drop 2 (Bunny Drop, #2)
  • Mushishi, Volume 2
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 02 (Yotsuba&! #2)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 02  (Library Wars: Love & War #2)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 04
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 007 (Pluto, #7)
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 6 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #6)
  • Dramacon, Volume 2 (v. 2)
  • Sand Chronicles, Volume 3
  • The Voices of a Distant Star
Kaoru Mori (森 薫) is a mangaka best known for her series "Emma". Many of her stories are set in Britain and center on characters who are maids.
More about Kaoru Mori...

• Emma, Vol. 07
  • Emma, Vol. 08
  • Emma, Vol. 09
  • Emma, Vol. 10
A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 Emma, Vol. 01 A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 A Bride's Story, Vol. 3 Emma, Vol. 03